Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Yes but acting like this makes them rear end-backwards is such a lovely thing to do. Hey guys, the Victorians didn't even know about wave-particle duality! What a bunch of morons amirite?

This but unironically, Victorians were basic bitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Spangly A posted:

rakosi where do you think buddhism comes from

California

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Yes but acting like this makes them rear end-backwards is such a lovely thing to do. Hey guys, the Victorians didn't even know about wave-particle duality! What a bunch of morons amirite?
I read it more as "even people who thought the Earth was the center of everything figured out that suffering exists past the individual.

Ignoring of course that once they figured this out they tried to do something about minimizing it rather than shrugging.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I read it more as "even people who thought the Earth was the center of everything figured out that suffering exists past the individual.

Ignoring of course that once they figured this out they tried to do something about minimizing it rather than shrugging.

Buddhist Shrugged

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rakosi posted:

Counterpoint, go gently caress yourself. Who said I was talking about India? Projecting a little here?

Hahahaha, oh man do you also believe in White Jesus?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
"All life is suffering", Liberal Buddha said "But don't you fuckers try to blame any of it on me".

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

Buddhist Shrugged

Who is John Gautama?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Tesseraction posted:

I was paying them a compliment actually, you gigantic moron. The insult was directed at Spangly A. These people with very little practical knowledge of the world seem to have a more complete moralistic understanding of human responsibility of suffering than the millennial tumblr outrage that Spangly A is exhibiting.

quote:

just to make sure, are you aware that Britain continues to economically subsidise Northern Ireland as a direct reconciliation made to the institutional discrimination against Catholics, funding of Loyalist terror groups, and responsibility for the troubles?

And that this economic subsidy, when attacked by the tories, caused such just outrage that it nearly brought down Stormont and would have re-established direct Westminster rule over Northern Ireland? I'm talking the last two years here.

This is a fantastic point and more relevant and more worthy of notice than historical wrongs because those historical wrongs cannot be set right moralistically (and this one can, economically inclusive) because everyone involved is already dead. If you just want money, at least come out and say that. What you said was to try elicit from me a personal guilt for thousands of dead Filipinos because I have a smartphone, and you are bullshitting if you deny you said said this now.

Just to make it clear that I am not defending his point, I already called the minister out as a child at the start of this discussion, for bringing up historical culpability.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

e: double post

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Tesseraction posted:

Hahahaha, oh man do you also believe in White Jesus?

Spangly A posted:

rakosi where do you think buddhism comes from

India. Where else did it spread to?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For many years you have asked, "Who should be blamed?" I am here now, and I say it's the exploited's fault. Those fuckers should pull themselves up by their bootstraps if they want to stop getting whipped on the hour, every hour. Now make me an iPhone 6.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

People who didn't know the sun orbited the Earth invented Western philosophy, built the Roman empire, and wrote the medieval Wikipedia. They also believed in polytheistic superstition, brutal repression and had to recover Greek learning and advanced mathematics from the Arabs.

Considering our part of the world was consistently a 'couple hundred years out' of the development of the most advanced regions in the world , we don't have much recourse to poo poo on other countries as if history is a big game of Civilisation. Piece of poo poo.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol you guys are arguing with a loving idiot

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rakosi posted:

This is a fantastic point and more relevant and more worthy of notice than historical wrongs because those historical wrongs cannot be set right moralistically (and this one can, economically inclusive) because everyone involved is already dead. If you just want money, at least come out and say that. What you said was to try elicit from me a personal guilt for thousands of dead Filipinos because I have a smartphone, and you are bullshitting if you deny you said said this now.

My late father may have robbed and killed a man, stolen his house and land and condemned his family into poverty, but I don't see why that family would have any right to ask anything from me just because I inherited it all. After all, everyone involved is dead - a Liberal

EDIT: But realtalk here, I really like how the thing most worthy of notice here isn't the Filipino child slave mines or the British Empire's history of murder and pillage, it's that you might have had to feel a bit bad for a moment. I'm pretty sure that this too is a form of Liberalism.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 4, 2016

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

What normally happens in this thread when I post is that people will harangue and harass until the whole line of conversation, and original point of disagreement, is lost in a field of shitposting. Reminder that the vast majority of this argument sprung from this;

Spangly A posted:

Assuming you typed this on a phone, you are responsible for the deaths of thousands of children in phillipino alluminium mines.

And I'm going to keep bringing it up until it is addressed/defended by people in this thread who are insisting I am wrong and/or evil. Because otherwise it gets lost in the chaff, as usual.

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 4, 2016

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Guavanaut posted:

No they murdered the people who worked out suffering was a constant and then stole the idea into their religion

Karma isn't something the buddhists invented, it's a Jainist idea, and they were a bunch of peace loving hippies who got merk'd

Rakosi posted:

What normally happens in this thread when I post is that people will harangue and harass until the whole line of conversation, and original point of disagreement, is lost in a field of shitposting. Reminder that the vast majority of this argument sprung from this;

Spangly A posted:
Assuming you typed this on a phone, you are responsible for the deaths of thousands of children in phillipino alluminium mines.

And I'm going to keep bringing it up until it is addressed/defended by people in this thread who are insisting I am wrong and/or evil.

"suffering exists everywhere, except for when I make it happen"

collective responsibility is still here, I have no need to retract the point. e; so I put it back in for emphasis

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 4, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The idea of "karma" that exists in Buddhist thought is not the same idea that people "get what's coming to them".

It's basically a form of the golden rule with an even bigger side dose of guilt and shame because if you do bad actions, you not only do those bad actions, but are also responsible for creating a world in which such bad actions exist.

Essentially you're not just doing bad actions, you're also a bad person for doing them.

It's why certain offshoots of Buddhism, such as Jainism, take any form of harm to any sort of life as utterly reprehensible.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Puntification posted:

I read (in the book Treasure Islands I think) that the banks that operate in the developing world to allow their political elite to rob the countries of it's wealth, an estimate of somewhere between $9-20 (ironically I can't remember) of wealth is extracted and funnelled offshore for every $1 in aid places in Africa receive for example, can be mapped by country of origin almost perfectly along old colonial lines. I forget most of the other specifics now but it was a fairly persuasive argument for empire being privatised rather than ended.

Yeah he makes the argument that the British Empire went from controlling territory and resources, to controlling financial territory and capital. We control half the world's tax havens and so much of the wealth of other countries goes offshore and into our tax empire

Rakosi posted:

It's still stupid, because the line at which you draw the difference between historical responsibility and "okay, now you're just being silly" is completely arbitrary, and dictated by the person who is trying to make a point. For example, the British Empire is, I think now, far enough behind us in history that no one can expect current Britain to be releasing monies or much more than very general apologies for the fact. Unless, of course, your country was once a colonial victim, and then the holy grail of perpetual victimhood is a useful political tool to harass or partition blame to living people who never harmed you (or the original victims, your ancestors, in the first instance).

It is a patently political standpoint before it is a moralistic one.

You personally aren't responsible for Britain's actions in the past, no. But you're also not really responsible for Britain's actions in the present either, because we have limited power and influence on the state. That sure doesn't mean there is no responsibility though - it lies with the nation itself, as a political entity, and the people who wield its power when some injustice is being done

So you can look at two aspects of it. One is the material stuff like reparations. The whole argument there is that Britain took something from another nation, materially setting them back (which is a polite way of covering some of the stuff that was done) and often materially benefitting Britain in the process. The entity that did this, Britain, still exists, even if the people who carried it out do not. Its economy still exists, the results of absorbing the wealth that was taken are an integral part of it. Britain is the result of what was done, in one way or another. A rich and powerful couple of islands that once had an empire

And the nation that suffered those actions was materially set back by them, even if the people who suffered the direct results aren't alive anymore. Countries have had their populations decimated. Their natural resources exploited and the wealth taken out of the country. Advancement held back or even rolled back by foreign powers who want the country reconfigured to suit their own agendas, or just straight-up bombed back into the stone age. Do you really think someone born in one of those countries has no right or even reason for being angry at Britain as an entity, or for wanting steps to be taken to help make things right and undo some of the lasting damage?

The other aspect is the political and diplomatic one. If a nation, through its government, is prepared to recognise its past behaviour as unacceptable, that sends strong signals like "these people are less poo poo" and "there's a chance they won't continue to act like this just because they can". It helps with cohesion and opens doors. It makes victims feel better, and it creates an atmosphere of self-reflection where people pushing for exploitation and war will get called out and have to justify it. And the opposite happens when a nation actively refuses to take responsibility, or even recognise that bad things were done. It's interesting you bring Germany up when they're officially ashamed of what their country did, and use that to implement measures based around preventing it from ever happening again

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rakosi posted:

What normally happens in this thread when I post is that people will harangue and harass

There's a solution to this. :frogbon:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Rakosi posted:

And I'm going to keep bringing it up until it is addressed/defended by people in this thread who are insisting I am wrong and/or evil. Because otherwise it gets lost in the chaff, as usual.

Rakosi posted:

These people with very little practical knowledge of the world seem to have a more complete moralistic understanding of human responsibility of suffering than the millennial tumblr outrage that Spangly A is exhibiting.

I lost family in loyalist bombings, you bet I'm pretty outraged when people say there's nobody left to remember Empire. I want the ministers involved to hang. We don't even get a loving confession.

Defend your pathetic detachment.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Spangly A posted:

collective responsibility is still here, I have no need to retract the point.

You still have a need to retract your point because you specifically partitioned blame to me for being responsible for the deaths of thousands of Filipino children. If you feel embarrassed and are now skirting the issue, that's okay, you should be. You hosed up logically, morally and rhetorically. I am smug as gently caress about it because I get a lot of heat in this thread for views which aren't that contentious when you examine them, but incessantly get dragged off topic, where I am bad at arguing in..

So, once more for everyone else in the thread:

Spangly A posted:

Am I responsible for the deaths of thousands of Filipino children?

Thank you and gently caress off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rakosi posted:

So, once more for everyone else in the thread:

Am I responsible for the deaths of thousands of of Filipino children?

Yes, everyone is.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Aren't you that poo poo history teacher who voted Tory?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Philippines was to do with the American Empire though?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

No they murdered the people who worked out suffering was a constant and then stole the idea into their religion

Karma isn't something the buddhists invented, it's a Jainist idea, and they were a bunch of peace loving hippies who got merk'd
I figure whenever a certain group thinks too much about the nature of suffering, they either turn full pacifist and get wiped out, or full antinatalist and die out.

Not that pacifism or antinatalism are bad things, but it means all of us who are alive today are here because of the path of atrocity.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Rakosi posted:

Yes, everyone is.

Rakosi posted:

For example, the British Empire is, I think now, far enough behind us in history that no one can expect current Britain to be releasing monies or much more than very general apologies for the fact.

You are one of the worse examples. You do nothing to address the suffering you cause. You would be a bad buddhist of most sects.

JFairfax posted:

True, but we still let them sell phones.

At least Samsung tried to fix it when someone told them where they were getting the stuff :unsmith:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

JFairfax posted:

It's not like imperialist exploitation ended when the former colonies became independent.

Rakosi posted:

You still have a need to retract your point because you specifically partitioned blame to me for being responsible for the deaths of thousands of Filipino children. If you feel embarrassed and are now skirting the issue, that's okay, you should be. You hosed up logically, morally and rhetorically. I am smug as gently caress about it because I get a lot of heat in this thread for views which aren't that contentious when you examine them, but incessantly get dragged off topic, where I am bad at arguing in..

Have you ever stopped and reflected on why it is that when you're confronted with horrible moral atrocities that were and still are perpetrated and that you benefit from, your first instinct is to start yelling about how this definitely isn't your fault in the slightest?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Rakosi posted:

I am smug as gently caress

You could have probably just left things there, then hosed off to be honest- have you considered for a moment that you getting dogpiled every time you turn up may in fact be down to how you present your lovely arguments, and not all these mean people ganging up on you for no reason?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I agree entirely with Baka Kaba's post and I imagine it's a much better explanation of collective responsibility than what I've so far put together, but ironically through buddhist teachings I'm pretty firmly attached to universal guilt and the role of karma in social responsibility from ground-up

everyone reading this thread and feeling themselves aligned with rakosi pls read that one

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Spangly A posted:

You don't get a choice in being morally culpable. Personal responsibility isn't real. Collective responsibility is.

Spangly A posted:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

There's a solution to this. :frogbon:

A 'final solution' if you will...

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Are you really so dumb or so far up Thatcher's rotting arse that you don't understand what you being part of a collective means?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Dabir posted:

Aren't you that poo poo history teacher who voted Tory?

O wait

That's worrying

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Rakosi posted:

If you paid a hitman to kill somebody would you feel you had no moral responsibility for the murder?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

http://www.theguardian.com/society/commentisfree/2016/mar/04/jeremy-corbyn-sex-trade-left-women-exploitation

quote:

Yet again the males on the left have let women down, while kidding themselves that they are being progressive. Jeremy Corbyn has said, during a talk at Goldsmiths University, that he is in favour of decriminalising the sex trade. “Let’s do things a bit differently and in a more civilised way,” he said.

But there is nothing civilised about legitimising one of the most exploitative industries on the planet.

It is apt that Corbyn made his admission at Goldsmiths. Any feminist in support of criminalising sex-buyers is instantly accused by Goldsmiths’ feminist society of hating prostituted women, or “whorephobia”, as it is known. This twist of logic is quite something considering the law that criminalises demand also decriminalises those selling sex.

I cannot believe that Corbyn is so misinformed as to see the blanket decriminalisation of the sex trade as necessary to uphold the human rights and safety of those selling sex. In Sweden, the first country to introduce the sex-buyer law in 1999, not one prostituted woman has been murdered by a pimp or sex-buyer since then. In New Zealand, where the sex trade was decriminalised in 2003, there have been five murders.

What decriminalisation actually means is that control is taken away from the criminal justice agencies and given to local authorities. Under this model, pimps become managers, and brothel owners are business entrepreneurs.

The only difference between decriminalisation and legalisation is that under legalisation the state becomes the official pimp by making certain aspects of the trade legal This way it can collect taxes and impose compulsory health checks on prostituted women – something the great feminist abolitionist Josephine Butler campaigned against in the 19th century.

Many on the left believe any criminalisation of the industry stigmatises those who sell sex, and that the selling of sex should be regarded as a job like any other. But there is a growing body of research showing that in Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Nevada and the Netherlands, where prostitution has been legalised or decriminalised, there is an increase in demand, which in turn has led to an increase in people coerced into prostitution. Such regimes lead to an increase in the legal as well as the illegal sex trade.

In researching my forthcoming book on the international sex trade, I have spoken to a number of women currently and formerly involved in the sex trade in New Zealand, the country hailed as nirvana since the disaster of legalisation in Holland became public.

One interviewee began working in a New Zealand brothel just after she turned 18, prior to decriminalisation. I asked her what decriminalisation had changed. “I don’t think it made any difference,” she said, “because the boss still does everything really dodgy, and I think that’s how he did it when it was illegal.”

The idea that pimps and other exploiters would suddenly turn into considerate employers who pay taxes and abide by the law simply because they are no longer technically criminals is ridiculous.

The sex workers’ rights lobby that has targeted Labour with its propaganda on the benefits of decriminalisation minimises and denies harm. The only harm it is prepared to acknowledge is caused, according to this logic, by feminists and police officers.

One sex workers’ rights activist recently claimed in her blog: “No sex worker I know reports clients as being the biggest problem … It’s always the rescuers, the police and the state that do them the most harm.”

What utter rubbish. While police brutality is prevalent towards women in prostitution in a number of countries, the rapes, homicides and violence from pimps and punters is well documented. In the UK alone, there have been 153 murders of prostituted women since 1990 – none committed by feminist abolitionists or police.

Why the left supports the rights of pimps and brothel owners is a mystery. It is akin to supporting tobacco industry profiteers in order to destigmatise smokers.

Corbyn and his colleagues would do well to listen to survivors of the sex trade before taking such an uninformed line on the best way to regulate prostitution.

As Rachel Moran, sex trade survivor and author of Paid For, remarked: “Males of the left defy every principle they purport to stand for when they contort their own political values to view women’s bodies as commercial products subject to purchase in free market economics. No other social group is treated this way by the men of the left.

“It is only women who are deemed so worthless as to be denigrated with this indignity, and it is only women whose equal human status is so unthinkable as to motivate them to turn their backs on their own politics.”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

The idea that pimps and other exploiters would suddenly turn into considerate employers who pay taxes and abide by the law simply because they are no longer technically criminals is ridiculous.
It's almost as if this is part of a big overarching flaw in the nature of employed/employer relations that Corbyn also wants to address.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

baka kaba posted:

Yeah he makes the argument that the British Empire went from controlling territory and resources, to controlling financial territory and capital. We control half the world's tax havens and so much of the wealth of other countries goes offshore and into our tax empire

You personally aren't responsible for Britain's actions in the past, no. But you're also not really responsible for Britain's actions in the present either, because we have limited power and influence on the state.
I agree, and this is why I hate patriotism. No one alive nowadays has any right to attach themselves to the achievements of the predecessors.

quote:

That sure doesn't mean there is no responsibility though - it lies with the nation itself, as a political entity, and the people who wield its power when some injustice is being done

So you can look at two aspects of it. One is the material stuff like reparations. The whole argument there is that Britain took something from another nation, materially setting them back (which is a polite way of covering some of the stuff that was done) and often materially benefitting Britain in the process. The entity that did this, Britain, still exists, even if the people who carried it out do not. Its economy still exists, the results of absorbing the wealth that was taken are an integral part of it. Britain is the result of what was done, in one way or another. A rich and powerful couple of islands that once had an empire.

Reparations would involve taking tax money off of people who were in no way involved in the decision making or the actioning of the offences against these nations, however. Many of said tax payers are not living in a life of "luxury" afforded them by the rapacious nature of their state's history.

quote:

And the nation that suffered those actions was materially set back by them, even if the people who suffered the direct results aren't alive anymore. Countries have had their populations decimated. Their natural resources exploited and the wealth taken out of the country. Advancement held back or even rolled back by foreign powers who want the country reconfigured to suit their own agendas, or just straight-up bombed back into the stone age. Do you really think someone born in one of those countries has no right or even reason for being angry at Britain as an entity, or for wanting steps to be taken to help make things right and undo some of the lasting damage?

They certainly have a right to be angry at the nation, but to be angry at Britons is an anger misplaced. You (Spangly A, and co.) do not get to use words like "culpability" and "responsibility" without contention. If someone calls me out of being personally responsible for the deaths of thousands of people on the other side of the planet, I have a right to reject that claim. But lets not stop there. If I am responsible for the the deaths of thousands of children in Filipino aluminium mines, then I am also responsible for the death of every person that died unjustly under Imperial British rule (even those that died before I was even loving born). But you're using two different definitions of the word "responsible" and you loving know it. If I actually was responsible I would be before the Hague. But I am not and I am not responsible for their deaths.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I agree with Rachel Moran, abolish free market economics, introduce mincome on top of a socialist government structure, sex work only for the economically free

Rakosi posted:

You (Spangly A, and co.) do not get to use words like "culpability" and "responsibility" without contention.

Be as discontent as you wish, you're using the word wrong.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
LOL every one of you fuckers is guilty as hell of exploiting people, loving Spangly A your drugs support all manner of awful people so don't be lecturing that dirty pimp about child slaves.

every one of us shopping in Aldi or Tesco or wherever the gently caress is guilty as all hell and shouting 'full communism now' will do jack poo poo to stop it.

every one of you has sweatshop garments, technology produced by slaves or food and goods that are from a 'squeezed supply chain'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

JFairfax posted:

LOL every one of you fuckers is guilty as hell of exploiting people, loving Spangly A your drugs support all manner of awful people so don't be lecturing that dirty pimp about child slaves.

are we talking about me being a recovered drug addict or are we talking about the medical treatments that keep me alive because I can't really boycott nestle without dying

• Locked thread