Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lol whatever the gently caress the modern era of gaming is, crowbarring a decades-old singleplayer RPG series into a poo poo MMO isn't the way to be part of it. Are you one of those massive weirdos who thought ESO was a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ruggington posted:

Weird, my wishlist goes:

*literally the opposite of these things

Funny how life works out sometimes

Even having other trainers walking around the same area a al Journey would be a huge step towards making the game feel more like an online community. Don't need to talk, maybe put up challenge nearby players flags - even just basic "other people are exploring" levels of connection would be a nice addition. Doesn't need to be a full on MMO.

IVs serve no purpose but a time sink and barrier to entry. Leave Natures and EVs in for customization of individual pokemon for different purposes/strategies, but tournaments are maxed anyway and it just serves to handicap casuals. With RBY sending pokemon forward to S&M this may actually be possible, unless they're going to just have all of the natures/IVs generated on deposit.

NX would just be nice to have some integration, but I guess it remains to be seen how they're doing the console/handheld thing. Unified Nintendo account and Pokemon Bank should make it fairly easy to broaden the brand across consoles as well as games.

CJ posted:

I managed to register for that Pokemon MMO thing. There's another 45 minutes if you can get the page to load.

I haven't been able to, and the site seems to not even load.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Nephzinho posted:

IVs serve no purpose but a time sink and barrier to entry. Leave Natures and EVs in for customization of individual pokemon for different purposes/strategies, but tournaments are maxed anyway and it just serves to handicap casuals. With RBY sending pokemon forward to S&M this may actually be possible, unless they're going to just have all of the natures/IVs generated on deposit.
Here's the problem; you are thinking meta-game

The reason IVs are in there are so true 10 year olds playing it can have their own unique Jellicent that is different from their best friend's Jellicent. So yours may be stronger but theirs is faster.

And there are a lot more of them, and they buy a lot more Pokemon stuff.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also literally every good feature of MMOs is already in X/Y and OR/AS. I don't need to see twenty afk people crowding out every Pokemon center with 'hilarious' meme names.

Seriously, what loving MMO features are people clamoring for that aren't in the game already?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Nephzinho posted:

My checklist for S&M, in increasing chance of unlikelihood:
*Removal of IVs
*PRO like MMO features
*Nintendo Account/Pokebank integration in NX

My wish list is simpler - do a 20th (or 25th I guess) anniversary edition where all the areas are available to play through (ala gold and silver, but balanced) and let you pick whatever base form non legendary you want as starter.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Finished my 10 battles for the day. My final record was 8-2. :toot: I think that's the best win/lose record I've ever had in these tourneys.

MVPs were my Nidoking and Dragonite. Special mention to my Jolteon for outspeeding everything. :D

My one notable loss was to a dude with a HA Seaking who got a lucky Horn Drill on my Vaporeon, then swept me in an embarrassing fashion with his Dragonite. Considering that's exactly how I used my Dragonite in the battle just before that one, I can't be too mad about it. I can be salty about that Horn Drill, though. :mad: loving bullshit.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Fried Chicken posted:

My wish list is simpler - do a 20th (or 25th I guess) anniversary edition where all the areas are available to play through (ala gold and silver, but balanced) and let you pick whatever base form non legendary you want as starter.

Between this and the MMO idea it's like a Facebook group discussion

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Dabir posted:

Lol whatever the gently caress the modern era of gaming is, crowbarring a decades-old singleplayer RPG series into a poo poo MMO isn't the way to be part of it. Are you one of those massive weirdos who thought ESO was a good idea?

It is a general statement you jackass. It has been 20 years, and Nintendo has done barley anything with one of the most successful franchises ever, other than reskin crap dungeon crawlers/candy crush. The main series are fine, and all, but we could have had way more interesting spin-offs if another company was handling it. I'm not saying PRO is amazing or anything, I probably won't play it, but it just highlights the potential the franchise has that hasn't even been explored.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
the potential to be told youre a human being by 2000+ 10 year olds

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
sign me up

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

The registration period for the Kanto Classic Online Competition is over

WELP! gently caress me! Wasted a shitload of time breeding a team for this and I miss the registration. Too busy playing Pokemon Blue.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

my wish list is fun game with 3d models without slowdown on new 3ds plus avatar dress-up plus lots of cubones

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

This, I don't even care about balancing, I just want to travel the PokeGlobe on one save file.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
How would that even work. Would every gym be like 1 level higher than the last since there are 53 of the loving things and 6 Elite 4's?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zore posted:

Seriously, what loving MMO features are people clamoring for that aren't in the game already?

I'm not dying for a pokemon MMO, but a seamless / persistent world could be really loving cool, particularly if it entailed updates and changes to the world from time to time. Also, imagine the flying thing in ORAS but you're flying in the actual areas and can land wherever you want.

Also being able to actually meet up/run into friends and interact with them would be a lot better then the kinda lame and sterile online stuff in X/Y/ORAS.

That said I don't really see that stuff working well with a 3DS game because it's not the kind of thing that can be always online.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Fried Chicken posted:

Here's the problem; you are thinking meta-game

The reason IVs are in there are so true 10 year olds playing it can have their own unique Jellicent that is different from their best friend's Jellicent. So yours may be stronger but theirs is faster.

And there are a lot more of them, and they buy a lot more Pokemon stuff.

But since all that is hidden, almost no kid is going to notice beyond the fact that the thing thy caught sucks for some reason. IVs don't enrich the game like controllable EVs do. All they do is add another set of factors beyond your control that can and do result in most Pokemon being objectively inferior due to their very genes. Nobody likes dealing with them besides the most obsessive breeders.

If we're talking wish lists, I want HMs removed, evolution items in stores and these changes to the type chart

Geostomp posted:

Ice should be immune to Water. Also, Dragon should be weak to Steel and Grass should resist Rock and lose the weakness to Flying (with Flying losing its Grass resistance). Toss in Water being weak to Poison.

Edit: Steel weak to Electric as well.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 4, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MacheteZombie posted:

This, I don't even care about balancing, I just want to travel the PokeGlobe on one save file.

Same. I too want a game filled with absolutely gently caress all to do because there's no way they could or would fill in interesting plot/characters/events into a game that large so they're mostly be shambling ghosts towns you get to look at and go "Oh yeah I remember this in other games where things happened!"

Or the opposite where that game doesn't come out for 4 years as they try and make a game much much larger than anything they've done before.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Same. I too want a game filled with absolutely gently caress all to do because there's no way they could or would fill in interesting plot/characters/events into a game that large so they're mostly be shambling ghosts towns you get to look at and go "Oh yeah I remember this in other games where things happened!"

Or the opposite where that game doesn't come out for 4 years as they try and make a game much much larger than anything they've done before.

I'm not sure why people get so testy about this topic. Like it probably won't happen ever, it's just a thing I'd personally like to do. My uncle doesn't work at Nintendo so my ideas won't get implemented, rest assured.

Sorry if I find the idea of roaming through every area in Pokemon cool and good.

Edit: Most of us already beat the main story quick as hell then complain there's nothing left but farming up competitive teams and the battle tower. If roaming every zone wasn't mandatory and just a thing you could do after the main story, whats the problem?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

The towns aren't already ghost towns?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not dying for a pokemon MMO, but a seamless / persistent world could be really loving cool, particularly if it entailed updates and changes to the world from time to time. Also, imagine the flying thing in ORAS but you're flying in the actual areas and can land wherever you want.

Also being able to actually meet up/run into friends and interact with them would be a lot better then the kinda lame and sterile online stuff in X/Y/ORAS.

That said I don't really see that stuff working well with a 3DS game because it's not the kind of thing that can be always online.

Offline it would still be XY, but if you're online having PC characters just walking around doing their own thing with the option to interact would be nice - keep it as emotes or no voice/comms at all. Doesn't need to be single server full on MMO, just make the world feel a little more alive.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
i'm not sure what nintendo you guys are thinking of, but one that actually implements online features well is not one I've heard of

please return to your own parallel worlds at your earliest convenience.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm not sure why people get so testy about this topic. Like it probably won't happen ever, it's just a thing I'd personally like to do. My uncle doesn't work at Nintendo so my ideas won't get implemented, rest assured.

Sorry if I find the idea of roaming through every area in Pokemon cool and good.

Edit: Most of us already beat the main story quick as hell then complain there's nothing left but farming up competitive teams and the battle tower. If roaming every zone wasn't mandatory and just a thing you could do after the main story, whats the problem?

It's just a stupid idea though. Gamefreak has a hard enough time filling up the one region games with plot and stuff without tacking on even more land space.

Hell the only games that actually felt like a place filled with people and things to do were the B/W games and their sequels since the named NPCs you met usually did things outside of being the next punching bag for your tiny baby monsters.

Plus from remakes and rereleases why do you need yet another way to visit old regions? Kanto's been in as many generations of pokemon as it hasn't been. What would even be the point of having all the regions in one game?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Geostomp posted:

But since all that is hidden, almost no kid is going to notice beyond the fact that the thing thy caught sucks for some reason. IVs don't enrich the game like controllable EVs do. All they do is add another set of factors beyond your control that can and do result in most Pokemon being objectively inferior due to their very genes. Nobody likes dealing with them besides the most obsessive breeders.

If we're talking wish lists, I want HMs removed, evolution items in stores and these changes to the type chart

Yeah, it'd totally be fine with IVs being gone. Even having done obsessive breeding stuff, it didn't really feel...worth it? Like I didn't end up playing competitively, i just got obsessed with trying to make a perfect pokemon and it ended up burning me out. My copy of Y has boxes and boxes full of eevees.

While I'm not a huge fan of natures, they still feel like a much better approach to the idea that "My pikachu is different from your pikachu" and its not hidden or terribly difficult to understand.

HMs can stay, but make them work kinda like how the Eon flute basically lets you fly without a fly pokemon in your party. Either make it so you just need the HM + a compatible pokemon in the party (don't need to teach) or a pokemon with the HM move learned somewhere (can be in box.)

X/Y was pretty decent about HMs mostly being for getting items or extra areas from what I remember.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?

SilverGryphon posted:

No worries, just send whatever you like. I'm not a competitive player but I do appreciate nice 'mons.

Friend code is 5000-3262-8496. I'll be online sometime after noon PST. There are 7 more 5IV marvel scale leer/hyper beam/dragon pulse/extreme speed Dratinis available to go to a good home. :)

Awesome! Can you still rename them? If yes I would like a little Elliot! :) I'll add you as soon as I come home, let's see if we can be online at the same time, I live in western Europe. :)

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

PSWII60 posted:

Sure, I have 2 timid with dump attack currently, breeding naive as well cause I want sucker punch. We should probably take this to the trade thread, I should be back home in a little while. Let me know if you guys want nicknames.

Now I really wish I'd of known about this gen 1 tournament before today so I could have gotten a team together, Suckerpunch nidoking would have been perfect.

Posted in the Trade thread. Thanks.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
My only hope for future Pokemon games is that there are no zubats

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

FishBulb posted:

So Black 1 and White 1 then.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

less laughter posted:

So Black 1 and White 1 then.

Black and White 1 were just the best.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

sorry friend, but zubat is a goodmon

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Literally the only games in the series I haven't played now in one form or another of course.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FishBulb posted:

i wish caves and waterways would have some kind of tall grass counterpart the way the ocean floor does

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nephzinho posted:

Offline it would still be XY, but if you're online having PC characters just walking around doing their own thing with the option to interact would be nice - keep it as emotes or no voice/comms at all. Doesn't need to be single server full on MMO, just make the world feel a little more alive.

"I just want a bunch of extra sprites/models cluttering up the screen"

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The only thing I wish RBY VC added was reusable TMs because Missingno glitch duplicating is the most dull tedium. I can live with the slow movement speed, poorly designed caves, no Physical/Special split, and all the many other ancient flaws, but single-use TMs is just the worst. Playing through Yellow in 2016 hits all the right nostalgia notes, but it's so much harder to screw around with TMs like this.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Looks like PRO has entirely closed registration.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

What would even be the point of having all the regions in one game?

Like I said in my other post you quoted, because it would be fun for me personally to travel to all the regions. Have the final elite 4 all be level 100. Put the legendary pokemon in the original locations for capture. Have Team Rocket come back for a global take over, having recruited past villains into TR to help cause mayhem. They could do a million things to make it have a point. The point of the games is to travel around and battle monsters with some story thrown in, so an expansion of that in game with multiple regions would be fun for me, extend play time for single player, and make the game universe feel more connected. You seem to think that game would just add on a bunch of routes and be done (which given GF's history isn't the worst assumption), but I'm pie-in-the-sky thinking so there'd be more than just land to traverse.

They could even roll it out as DLC content or something, release the first region and patch in each region after the fact so they have more time to develop additional stories for each region or whatever.

I reiterate, this will never happen so it shouldn't be a concern for people that don't like the idea. That's just my daydreaming idea of what I'd like to see.

A real change that GF could implement but for some reason hasn't: Making the game more difficult through an option. Trainers respond to the pokes you send out, npc teams are more complex and use better moves, etc. BW had challenge mode, but only after you beat the game once instead of at the start and it's not in the new games because GF is dumb.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Killer Queen posted:

The only thing I wish RBY VC added was reusable TMs because Missingno glitch duplicating is the most dull tedium. I can live with the slow movement speed, poorly designed caves, no Physical/Special split, and all the many other ancient flaws, but single-use TMs is just the worst. Playing through Yellow in 2016 hits all the right nostalgia notes, but it's so much harder to screw around with TMs like this.

it's not a remake, so changing things would be disingenuous as gently caress

i mean its good that they made it so you can trade still i'm glad they kept all the stuff thats bad, it's a good way of showing how far the games have come

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

The easiest way to fix HMs, at least from my perspective, is... Just make them actually useful. What would be wrong with Strength being a decent Rock move, or Rock Climb being a Ground-type move? I did like that in BW, HMs were nearly optional through the game, but I don't think the actual HM system needs to be abolished, rather, the player should feel like they'd want to use HMs, rather than HMs feeling like so much of a chore, they need to devote one or two Pokemon just to not have those moves on their real party.

I don't really have much of an opinion on IVs, rather, I personally like how getting good Pokemon is MUCH easier versus earlier generations. I still sort of miss the shiny value craze, if only because that felt like a huge community thing (Even though unfortunately, the exploit also meant people could read opponent's moves online. Whoops!). On top of that, IVs influence HIdden Powers, so without them, I guess Hidden Powers will be assigned randomly...? Though I suppose an NPC can just make your Pokemon have any HP, with a price.

Pretty much my only wish for Sun and Moon is that, on thinking about what I did in Gen 4, there should be more minigames you could play with friends. I still remember doing Poffin mixing with a couple of my friends in Platinum, and I did the Battle Factory with another pal of mine too, and this was through THE INTERNET. You don't have those sorts of things now, and I know Game Freak's justification for it is "Oh kids just play things on their phone!", but... I have a hard time wanting to play Pokemon to battle people, and not have any other alternatives is a bit sad.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just caught Articuno. Welcome to my box, IceJJBird.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I still think HMs should just be an automatic feature on the Pokemon that can learn them after you've gotten the appropriate badge.

You got the water badge! Now, all your Pokemon that can learn Surf can also use it as a field move! That way you don't need to actually find the HM and then teach it to a dude. Get a strong Pokemon to use Strength, a Pokemon with claws to use Cut, etc..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
After transferring some pokemon from my copy of Black I realised that I have a legit hidden ability Hippopotas that you could only get from the dream-world before they shut it down. Might breed up a bunch just to give out on wonder trade because I'm just so drat nice.

• Locked thread