Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

But then Caius is obviously weaker than Bhunivelze so...what's the point?

Caius is roughly as strong as Lightning who is stronger than Bhunivelze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dunno if I want to get into a serious discussion about FFXIII Power Levels but I'm pretty sure Bhunivelze is still the strongest thing in FFXIII. Lightning didn't actually manage to kill him. He just went away for a while. Plus Hope's HEART was loving everything up. B couldn't just erase her like he wanted to because LR started to steal from KH with Hearts and Nobdies and poo poo. I think so, anyway. That was the best I could make of it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The strongest force in the Final Fantasy universe is you, the player

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tempo 119 posted:

Caius is roughly as strong as Lightning who is stronger than Bhunivelze

No one is as strong as Lightning.

She is the strongest of all things.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Actually I'm pretty sure Chocolina is the strongest

Edit: Or maybe one of the Mandervilles?

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 3, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I have a question.

I was bringing up my FFIX/FFXIII comparison to some other people elsewhere and naturally they disagreed because clearly FFIX is a masterpiece while FFXIII is a sin against mankind. Anyway, one of the things brought up was the "freedom' FFIX offered with its gameplay while XIII was so "restricted" and "easy." I of course pointed out that all that freedom in IX gave you ample ways to break the game and thus make it painfully easy.

But it made me wonder... I can think of ways to break VII, VIII and IX. I'm sure there are plenty of tricks for the others but I haven't played them enough.

But what about XIII? Once the Crystarium opens up, is there a way to just destroy everything? All I can think of is turtle farming via Vanille's Summon and Death but that's kind of a limited use thing. I can't think of anything of supreme utility like Auto-Haste/Auto-Regen or bouncing spells off a full Reflected party.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Nah, 13's balance is fairly tightly controlled until you get to Pulse. Even then, the Crystarium is fairly linear beyond poo poo like giving Fang RAV for Tri-Disaster which is less breaking and more just making the most of the mechanics.

E: :downs: "Once the Crystarium opens up". So, the second sentence I guess.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

So I have a question.

I was bringing up my FFIX/FFXIII comparison to some other people elsewhere and naturally they disagreed because clearly FFIX is a masterpiece while FFXIII is a sin against mankind. Anyway, one of the things brought up was the "freedom' FFIX offered with its gameplay while XIII was so "restricted" and "easy." I of course pointed out that all that freedom in IX gave you ample ways to break the game and thus make it painfully easy.

But it made me wonder... I can think of ways to break VII, VIII and IX. I'm sure there are plenty of tricks for the others but I haven't played them enough.

But what about XIII? Once the Crystarium opens up, is there a way to just destroy everything? All I can think of is turtle farming via Vanille's Summon and Death but that's kind of a limited use thing. I can't think of anything of supreme utility like Auto-Haste/Auto-Regen or bouncing spells off a full Reflected party.

It's not till post game when you can grind out people's crystarium to absurd levels that you could crush enemies, but obviously the post game fights are balanced around it so you never really get to see a ball crushing party in the normal progression.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you engage early in weapon upgrades you can numerically chump a lot of story bosses, but its not really any easier because early weapon upgrades are a resource sink with no real good way to grind it till later.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Upgrading the accessory that increases the amount of hp a potion restores is a good way to get ahead early in 13.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

But then Caius is obviously weaker than Bhunivelze so...what's the point?

Caius never died but GOD IS DEAD

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dis astranagant posted:

Isn't Earthshaker the only remotely reliable blue attack spell without resorting to Limit Glove and Frog Drop?

You're right, I thought it was random damage like Twister.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

voltron lion force posted:

Upgrading the accessory that increases the amount of hp a potion restores is a good way to get ahead early in 13.

I've been here too long, when I saw the word "ahead" I immediately thought of that scene in Austin Powers where the guy gets his face eaten off by piranhas.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

NikkolasKing posted:

Dunno if I want to get into a serious discussion about FFXIII Power Levels but I'm pretty sure Bhunivelze is still the strongest thing in FFXIII. Lightning didn't actually manage to kill him. He just went away for a while. Plus Hope's HEART was loving everything up. B couldn't just erase her like he wanted to because LR started to steal from KH with Hearts and Nobdies and poo poo. I think so, anyway. That was the best I could make of it.

Final Fantasy 13: Lightning Returns With A Bag Of Stuff Stolen From Kingdom Hearts.

The bag has an outline of a chocobo or Chocolina. I dunno.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Square-Enix has a sale on Steam including 50% off most FF stuff.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

You're right, I thought it was random damage like Twister.

It's also slightly stronger than the -agas. But you could be using limit glove so meh.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Oh poo poo. Squeenix publisher sale. I'm guessing FF7 and FF8 are the only worthwhile ports?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I wouldn't call FF8 serviceable (or at least it wasn't fixed like FFVII) without mods, and the XIII trilogy is fine if you think the base games are. Who the gently caress knows about Type 0

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
VIII is fun and cool for about two discs and then less so.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh I mean the port. lovely midi audio, weirdness with controller support/bindings... Well actually that's about it but a good port should have neither.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
As I recall, the Steam ports of FF13 series need some modding to work well, which is fine.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I played FFXIII on PC and the only issue I found was the 1080p Libra text issue, so I wouldn't even say it needs mods. :shrug:

E: VVV I played it in full screen and I don't remember that but whatever. Still a serviceable port that was neither VII or VIII.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 4, 2016

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

AlphaKretin posted:

I played FFXIII on PC and the only issue I found was the 1080p Libra text issue, so I wouldn't even say it needs mods. :shrug:

To this day, it still has a crash bug if you play it in fullscreen when you first get to the amusement park that they've never fixed.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 4, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you plan to play FFXIII on PC using a Bone-troller or other non-standard gamepad they used a proprietary technology to add gamepad support and anytime a tutorial text or save menu pops up the game stops receiving all inputs from the controller. This can be fixed by unplug->replug the controller but when you exit the menu it'll do the same thing or you can fix it by slamming a button on the controller a shitload of times in short succession every time you enter or exit one of these menus for reasons unknown to man.

As has been mentioned, FFVIII basically demands you install the not-god-awful PC midi files if you want to enjoy one of the game's best features but outside of that the rest of the final fantasy games are functional ports or, more commonly, ports of ports.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What is FFVII going for with this sale? I bought it around 2 or 3 in the morning yesterday for $11.99 when I got money and now I am vaguely irritated I might have spent a few more bucks than I had to.

Not a huge deal but talk about lovely timing on my part, I guess.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 4, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

NikkolasKing posted:

What is FFVII going for with this sale? I bought it around 2 or 3 in the morning yesterday for $11.99 when I got money and now I am vaguely irritated I might have spent a few more bucks than I had to.

Not a huge deal but talk about lovely timing on my part, I guess.

6 bucks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Meh. I'll live without that 6 dollars. Thanks for the info, though. I can at least save on XIII-2. I want that for when I get a better PC next month.

In the meantime, I can replay VII. Been over a year since my last run.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Barudak posted:

If you plan to play FFXIII on PC using a Bone-troller or other non-standard gamepad they used a proprietary technology to add gamepad support and anytime a tutorial text or save menu pops up the game stops receiving all inputs from the controller. This can be fixed by unplug->replug the controller but when you exit the menu it'll do the same thing or you can fix it by slamming a button on the controller a shitload of times in short succession every time you enter or exit one of these menus for reasons unknown to man.

If you're not playing any other games and don't mind screwing around in the device manager, you can uninstall the standard Xbox Controller driver and replace it with the old Windows 8 beta driver they based their support on. It works for 13 and 13-2, just remember to switch back when you're done (uninstall the driver, plug the controller in and let Windows auto-install the normal version).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Please play lightning returns, if you're on the fence anybody.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So it looks like 13-1 still has an ungodly size requirement. Like, has there been ANY attempt to try and knock that down? But yeah, I might get the other two, with VII and VIII for shits. I'm guessing 3-6, After Years, 11, and Type-0 are way not worth it?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

widespread posted:

So it looks like 13-1 still has an ungodly size requirement. Like, has there been ANY attempt to try and knock that down? But yeah, I might get the other two, with VII and VIII for shits. I'm guessing 3-6, After Years, 11, and Type-0 are way not worth it?

Though you can't do it until after you've downloaded it on steam, I believe you can delete half of the cutscene files. Since the game has dual audio, and has two versions of every cutscene, one in Japanese and one in English, you can just delete the ones for the language you aren't going to play the game in.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
You could just uninstall it when you're done. Like yeah the game is big and it's unfortunate that they didn't optimize it, but just clear enough space for it for a bit of time, play the game, then you're done forever. If it was a multiplayer game or something that you'd maybe come back to, that would be a pressing issue to not buy it. But for a single player game that you usually will only play once in a blue moon, it's just a minor inconvenience for a problem they (mostly) learned to deal with better.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

In Training posted:

Do I need to know anything about 13-2 before playing LR? I skipped that one.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Xad posted:

Though you can't do it until after you've downloaded it on steam, I believe you can delete half of the cutscene files. Since the game has dual audio, and has two versions of every cutscene, one in Japanese and one in English, you can just delete the ones for the language you aren't going to play the game in.

So let me get this straight. I can still have English Menus but with Japanese cutscenes? I'm game.

In Training posted:

Best item in the game coming through.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Type-0 is good

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

triplexpac posted:

I think Sqeenix anticipated that issue so they made a 16bit summary of the games plot and put it in YouTube.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

triplexpac posted:

LR probably makes more sense the less you know about 13-2.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

widespread posted:

So let me get this straight. I can still have English Menus but with Japanese cutscenes? I'm game.

Yep! The cutscene language is completely independent of the text/subtitle language selected, so that's completely fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think Sqeenix anticipated that issue so they made a 16bit summary of the games plot and put it in YouTube.

I think you gotta link that poo poo.

Xad posted:

Yep! The cutscene language is completely independent of the text/subtitle language selected, so that's completely fine.

My word, I can't believe I'm voluntarily gonna buy the Lightning Fast VCR Repair Trilogy.