Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Pike's crap plot is no "little thing." But I'm still watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Pike's crap plot is no "little thing." But I'm still watching.

What makes it crap?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Dalael posted:

What makes it crap?

Go back and read my earlier posts on it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
man I really wish trop was off probation

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Go back and read my earlier posts on it.

I probably read them already but just can't place the name with the posts. :shrug:
I think Pike's story arc is actually pretty interesting and adds a lot more tension to a situation that was already explosive. I like him as a bad guy and can't wait to see how his head ends on grounder's pike. lovely pun intended.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

also pike is right, Arkadia's survival depended upon Lexa's benevolence, and they can't rely on that anymore. It must become a power in its own right.

Buuuuut needless antagonism won't help anyone. Securing long term agriculture and expanding territory is essential, wiping out the peacekeeping army was not.

Funnily enough, if they attacked now in the wake of Lexa's death, it'd actually have been justifiable.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Really liked this episode. People who threaten showrunners because they made the best of a bad situation (actress going off to face zombies in Fear The Walking Dead) and gave Lexa an abrupt but pretty good send off need to get a life.

I feel bad for Murphy though. He was like "Clarke, we gotta get out of here," because he knew Titus was going to try to pin Lexa's death on him and sure enough they're locked in. :doh:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

hollylolly posted:

Really liked this episode. People who threaten showrunners because they made the best of a bad situation (actress going off to face zombies in Fear The Walking Dead) and gave Lexa an abrupt but pretty good send off need to get a life.

I feel bad for Murphy though. He was like "Clarke, we gotta get out of here," because he knew Titus was going to try to pin Lexa's death on him and sure enough they're locked in. :doh:

I find that a lot of people start complaining when shows don't conform to their idea of what should or should not happen. I think this episode was pretty drat good and my only complaint is when they blew up Polaris Station. From the little I know of orbital mechanics, it would be one of the stupidest thing the other stations could do.

Plus in all seriousness... why would they even bother?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

The Iron Rose posted:

also pike is right, Arkadia's survival depended upon Lexa's benevolence, and they can't rely on that anymore. It must become a power in its own right.

Buuuuut needless antagonism won't help anyone. Securing long term agriculture and expanding territory is essential, wiping out the peacekeeping army was not.

Funnily enough, if they attacked now in the wake of Lexa's death, it'd actually have been justifiable.

Pretty sure that Ontari will become the next commander when she kills all the Nightbloods and Clarke will kill her for the chip to be with Lexa forever in City Of Light 1.0.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

hollylolly posted:

Wouldn't Lexa ascend to CoL 2.0 though? I'm sure she'll show up again.

Remember the forced Wells/Finn hallucinations? At least this time they will (kinda) make sense.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Good episode. Pretty much went exactly where I expected it to with the revelation of the sacred symbol/etc beforehand. I felt the flashbacks were pretty tight and led into the conclusion well without giving away that Lexa straight up has a chip in her neck until the ritual itself. Like it was clear Beca had put ALIE 2.0 in herself and that she was injecting herself with a shitton of Rad-X/nanomachines which would later be passed on to some children, not all, and make them compatible with ALIE and potential commanders.

I can dig it. I like this explanation for what happened, though it raises questions about why society has degraded so fast so quickly. My next prediction will be ALIE helped push poo poo in that direction so poo poo would stay primitive enough that nobody needs to know about the AI, and Beca can get her goal of saving humanity with it. Or something. Idk.

As for Lexa dying I'm sure my opinion is worthless (lesbian tho) but anybody getting seriously bothered by it as some form of offense to women or gay people seems ridiculous to me. Just in general, not this thread specifically but a thought about the internet as a whole. Like, be pissed a character you like is dead but don't try and make it about anything more than that. I mean she was a recurring character on the show, the actress had been cast on another show between seasons and it was known ahead of time she wouldn't be around all season. Her dying was pretty much inevitable. You don't write a character like Lexa off without killing her. It would be too silly to explain away sending her off or her just never being around.

Contrived as her accidental death was in the moment and as dope as her going out honourably in battle would have been instead, I sort of really like the idea of her dying when she was most likely at her most peaceful and happy.

Also they filmed stuff for the finale in Vancouver proper in January and Alycia was there doing shoots in the city. Maybe ALIE 1.0 gets some of 2.0s data to troll Clarke or maybe it's some kind of uploaded consciousness like the former commanders seem to be a weaker version of(because they live on in the chip itself and not a nuke powered VR world).

esperterra fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 4, 2016

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Alycia Debnam-Carey (Lexa) stepped up her acting game in that one scene with Titus, I thought. She definitely works better with actual emotion, because her attempts at stoicism always came off as bored to me.

Speaking of Titus, I liked him for a while there. He got a rad fight scene with Murphy and he'd made a good political opponent for Clarke. But then of course, he has to be a gun wielding psycho. (Although they did at least seem to characterise him as reluctant, I like that he didn't even point the gun at Clarke until he was going to shoot her - that made him more threatening than if he ran in barrel everywhere)

Lexa getting shot was a strong story beat and fits The 100's style at it's best. I have to admit I laughed though, almost annoyed I didn't see it coming. They give her a good acting scene, and she resolves her relationships with both Titus and Clarke, they finally hit peak shippitude aaaaaaaaaaand she gets accidentally tragically shot. OF COURSE!

Despite the plot point working, her loooooooong death scene with sobbing Clarke and lots of tearful goodbyes and sad music swells felt ultra cheesy and fanservicey. Maybe the cheesiest thing they've ever done? Felt like I was watching some PG13 generic fantasy movie.

And those little tentacles on the computer chip are the creepiest loving thing in the entire show. (I liked the Commander reveal on the spacesuit though. Thought that was clever. Wonder if that was long-planned...)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So that's three out of four Clarke love interests dead. Watch yer back Bellamy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zoux posted:

So that's three out of four Clarke love interests dead. Watch yer back Bellamy.

Clarke is basically the female future version of the guy from Death Wish.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

VagueRant posted:

Alycia Debnam-Carey (Lexa) stepped up her acting game in that one scene with Titus, I thought. She definitely works better with actual emotion, because her attempts at stoicism always came off as bored to me.

Totally agree. I wouldn't say she's an bad actress, just that the role demanded a kind of stoic gravitas that she couldn't quite pull off, but when she's actually allowed to show emotion she pulls it off. Good episode guys, looking forward to the war of the AIs!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah her scene with Titus was great, also really great to see her bust out that huge smile in bed with Clarke. Alycia def went out on her strongest episode.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Now "Lexa Deserved Better" is trending on twitter. People are real mad.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Bury your gays is a really lovely trope and I hoped that the 100 would have been above it.

If nothing else at least don't make it a scene for scene copy of buffy

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Clark didn't get black eyes.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Suggestions for new thread title?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
"Stay out of Clarke's bed."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

"Where there's a Clarke there's a fridge"

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
As one of these aforementioned :airquote:gays:airquote:, this is outrage seeking at its finest. There were huge extenuating circumstances, her death was foreshadowed like crazy, she's not even the only lesbian on the show, and she's on a show where people die all the loving time. They've murdered plenty of straights. And they're about to murder several more!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Bury your gays is a really lovely trope and I hoped that the 100 would have been above it.

If nothing else at least don't make it a scene for scene copy of buffy

If we're gonna want more lgbt characters in fiction, and of course we do, you're gonna have more dead lgbt characters in fiction especially on a show like the 100. Fridging, "burying your gays" are all commonly used super reductively to barely meet thresholds for complaints rather than metaphors for cheap narrative tricks. Gina getting made up just to die was cheap, having a character developed over two seasons get written off due to both availability constraints as well as in a narratively game changing, secret revealing way that will have ramifications for all future plots is not some lazy ploy. If it's important to normalize lgbt characters, and I think the 100 is definitely on the forefront of that, then you can't give them special plot armor because some people used such characters poorly in the past.

And I'm not accusing you specifically of this, or anyone here, but some of the tumblr/twitter reactions read to me more as people mad about their OTP not living happily ever after and they are just accusing the show of problematicity because it's a useful stick to enhance the wrongness of what is ultimately a narrative/necessary call.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The bury your gays stuff is silly but so is it that this is the third time a character that loves Clarke has died for her character development.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

'Fridging' is an especially dumb trope to throw out on this one considering Clarke isn't a man.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

hcreight posted:

'Fridging' is an especially dumb trope to throw out on this one considering Clarke isn't a man.

Now you lost me.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

If it's important to normalize lgbt characters, and I think the 100 is definitely on the forefront of that, then you can't give them special plot armor because some people used such characters poorly in the past.

This tbh. I mean The 100 is not only one of the first shows to have an openly gay/bi lady in the lead, esp in its demo, it is also handles it in the most wonderfully casual way and never treated it like some big twist or reveal.

Lexa died because she had to, not because she was gay. I really doubt they made up the ALIE plot in light of Alycia leaving, so even if she hadn't gotten cast on another show I am certain she would have died anyway. Maybe later, but it would have happened.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

Now you lost me.

Fridging was coined within the specific context of female characters being killed off--often times in gruesome ways--as a plot or character development for a male character. It is, at the very least, stretching it to say it applies here.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
We've still got Miller and his boyfriend, right?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

hcreight posted:

Fridging was coined within the specific context of female characters being killed off--often times in gruesome ways--as a plot or character development for a male character. It is, at the very least, stretching it to say it applies here.

I meant in the more general sense of love interests dying for character development.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Yeah I wasn't calling you out or anything (you were making a joke), it's just another trope/criticism that at times gets abused by the internet.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

hope and vaseline posted:

Totally agree. I wouldn't say she's an bad actress, just that the role demanded a kind of stoic gravitas that she couldn't quite pull off, but when she's actually allowed to show emotion she pulls it off. Good episode guys, looking forward to the war of the AIs!

To be fair with the actress, "Stoic" is something shows can never pull off. You can't have a person be "stoic' all the time or show no emotion most of the time. Its just not believable. See Game of Throne's Emilia Clarke for another example.

zoux posted:

If we're gonna want more lgbt characters in fiction, and of course we do, you're gonna have more dead lgbt characters in fiction especially on a show like the 100. Fridging, "burying your gays" are all commonly used super reductively to barely meet thresholds for complaints rather than metaphors for cheap narrative tricks. Gina getting made up just to die was cheap, having a character developed over two seasons get written off due to both availability constraints as well as in a narratively game changing, secret revealing way that will have ramifications for all future plots is not some lazy ploy. If it's important to normalize lgbt characters, and I think the 100 is definitely on the forefront of that, then you can't give them special plot armor because some people used such characters poorly in the past.

And I'm not accusing you specifically of this, or anyone here, but some of the tumblr/twitter reactions read to me more as people mad about their OTP not living happily ever after and they are just accusing the show of problematicity because it's a useful stick to enhance the wrongness of what is ultimately a narrative/necessary call.

:agreed:

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

Dalael posted:

You can't have a person be "stoic' all the time or show no emotion most of the time.

Stannis the Mannis begs to differ, though it seems like a really tough challenge to do it well.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I don't think it was a bad version of a death. It was well written and obviously the actress being unavailable was unavoidable but it still sucks that it happened. I don't think the bury your gays thing applies because that wasn't necessarily the intent but also it happened and it sucked.

As long as they don't move Clarke back to Bellamy it's not that bad though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

This is the best show on television right now.

So... any chance that the chip will somehow "choose" Clarke and she will become the next commander?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hahaha the shippers are mad.

Boo-loving-hoo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There's like a 500% chance that chip ends up in Clarke at some point.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Boogaleeboo posted:

There's like a 500% chance that chip ends up in Clarke at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Boogaleeboo posted:

There's like a 0% chance that chip doesn't end up in Clarke at some point.

Clarke vs Jaha
Neo vs Smith

Let's do this.

• Locked thread