Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

DolphinCop posted:

the theranos method:
-promise you'll disrupt medicine somehow
-massive valuation
-sucker someone into signing a partnership deal
-jettison your work force and split the cash with your investors

-have your ceo give lots of ted talks and dress like steve jobs
-get media bjs

How do people fall for this poo poo :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

CommieGIR posted:

Ironic, since the CPAC is discussing re-taking public lands to do just that.

Well, if you are going to strip mine the state economy, you might as well strip mine the state lands along with them!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Khisanth Magus posted:

Well, if you are going to strip mine the state economy, you might as well strip mine the state lands along with them!

What resources does land there have? Bog water?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I was planning on working a year so I could reciprocate my license to another state and leave if things got too bad. I hope I still have the option after this all shakes out. :ohdear:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

DemeaninDemon posted:

What resources does land there have? Bog water?

Hey, you never know if there is oil or gold under the flat desert of south-central Arizona well and away from any resource bearing mountains and beneath the 1000 year old village ruins. *A real thing said about why they cannot expand Casa Grande Ruins National Monument

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Combed Thunderclap posted:

-have your ceo give lots of ted talks and dress like steve jobs
-get media bjs

How do people fall for this poo poo :psyduck:

We need another big tech sector bust if only to take these fuckers down a few pegs.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PhazonLink posted:

Rational Free Market Actors*.

*Legit actually. At least going by purely by price. I dont buy much seafood/fish myself, but I taken the Good Eats episodes on sustainable and domestic water stuff to heart and would buy sustainable and domestic even if it's a little bit more.

Well I guess until climate change kills everything and the only animal protein we can get is bugs, jellies, and squid.

Yeah there's a huge push in Mississippi to buy farm raised Mississippi Catfish. Has it's own label and everything. And it works for a select crowd. But Mississippi's biggest market was generally other states... and that's where we took our biggest hit.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

fade5 posted:

This is so hilariously dumb.

I'm also terrified that this guy is the San Bernardino DA. The gently caress is wrong with you guys?

The apple case has been great for exposing how stupid a bunch of law enforcement and legal establishment types are about information security topics.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

We need another big tech sector bust if only to take these fuckers down a few pegs.

I wish people would stop saying things like this. I happen to like being able to work and provide for my wife.

Silicon Valley is assholes and all, but let's not wish death on the entire industry.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Chokes McGee posted:

I wish people would stop saying things like this. I happen to like being able to work and provide for my wife.

Silicon Valley is assholes and all, but let's not wish death on the entire industry.

Can I wish death on all of Start Up culture?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Reminder: CPAC is on!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

:ohdear: Well, they better let Catholics know anal sex is now not an okay form of pre-marital sex.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

KiteAuraan posted:

Hey, you never know if there is oil or gold under the flat desert of south-central Arizona well and away from any resource bearing mountains and beneath the 1000 year old village ruins. *A real thing said about why they cannot expand Casa Grande Ruins National Monument

Likely good source of rare earths that'll be economically viable once the EPA is gone.

Translation: gently caress the earth so hard our grandchildren won't exist.

Edit:

Don't worry cpac your attendees already got the think like Reagan part down.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fried Chicken posted:

Follow up on Louisiana, this from the WaPo

I'd basically end up bolding the whole thing

he debilitating economic disaster Louisiana’s governor left behind

Who are Louisiana voters blaming here? Jindal, or the new Democratic Governor?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Knowing Louisiana Voters... they're probably blaming Auburn/Alabama/Ole Miss

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Drink and Drive
Dress to Die
and suffer from a brain disease that makes you forget everything and everyone you love.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

DemeaninDemon posted:

Likely good source of rare earths that'll be economically viable once the EPA is gone.

Translation: gently caress the earth so hard our grandchildren won't exist.

Edit:

I bet many of them are raging alcoholics like Dubya was, too.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BonoMan posted:

Knowing Louisiana Voters... they're probably blaming Auburn/Alabama/Ole Miss

gently caress Bama is always the correct answer.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jimbozig posted:

I don't understand how they expect this brokered convention to work. Let's say Trump gets 45%, Cruz 25%, Rubio 20%, Kasich 10%. I can see how they could count on Rubio and Kasich's delegates to fall in line behind Rubio/Romney/Ryan or whatever GOPe stooge. But why would they expect Cruz's delegates to do the same once they are unbound?

I'm not sure how they could expect delegates to fall in line behind not-Trump if Trump is sitting on 40% or more of the delegates and you have the others maybe breaking 30% if they're lucky. Doing so ensures that Trump makes it his mission to rally his supporters and destroy the GOP by any means necessary. If Trump leads the pack going in to the convention they either need to pick him or convince him to let someone else take the mantle. loving him over ensures that he can now play the ultimate victim card against the GOP and they'd be throwing away the presidency short of Clinton being indicted in late October for her emails, which is about as likely as Obama nominating himself to the SCOTUS.

If they could gently caress Trump and he'd cry while fading in to the shadows that's one thing, but they can't. If they gently caress Trump he's going to get louder than ever and even if he can't get on the ballot as a 3rd party he's going to do everything he can to push people to not vote for the GOP's puppet candidate.

The GOP would have to be insane to risk the election this year. If they have any hope of winning the White House in 2016 it'd mean total control over the government for at least two years, probably 4+, while ratfucking Trump to save the party would cost them the White House and possibly 2 years of Senate control. After the GOP's latest bullshit even 2 years of a Dem-held Senate + WH means they're going to appoint every last thing they possibly can while also putting the screws to Ryan as much as possible. Meanwhile, even a Trump win would mean the GOP has unrestricted reign over the country.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

outside of wages, that's a pretty good jobs report. i dunno what can be done on wages at this point tbh.

Reverting the tax rates to what they were in the 50s and 60s, then putting that money back in to social programs and infrastructure would be nice as a starting point. It's about as likely as laws being passed that abolishes the private for-profit prison system or outlawing the popular election of judges and DAs.

Fried Chicken posted:

Let's talk about the nightmare that is Louisiana, shall we?

Louisiana's public defense system could collapse without renewed cash flow

I appreciate that Gov Edwards is fresh in office and dealing with the pile of poo poo handed to him by Jindal. I appreciate that he has to deal with a republican legislature, greatly constraining his options. But this is loving unconscionable. I have no idea how this is going to withstand constitutional challenge.

And I'm disgusted that the article ends with whining about how the wealthy of Louisiana will be upset about people being held indefinitely without trial being released rather than seeing the horror of what is being done to the poor here.

If a person has zero means of being represented in court doesn't that put the validity of said court proceedings in to question? Telling poor people "you have the right to an attorney, if you can't afford one gently caress you" doesn't seem like it'd hold up. I'm sure I'm wrong though since our judicial system is a loving monster that even if judges have to just start letting people back on the street it'll already have done its damage to them.

Jindal needs to be put on trial and then sent to the chair for loving his state as badly as he did (same with Snyder, Brownback, and a few others). If we're going to keep the death penalty around then it should at least be used on people who deserve it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

San Bernardino county is huge and envelops the high desert communities. Not exactly a bastion of liberalism.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about San Bernardino the city.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Oh they'll be blaming Jindal til the end of time. My friend's dad is in LOOOOOVE with the Republican party. He probably would have personally eaten that booger off of Ted Cruz's lip the other night and then bragged about it on Facebook because now he has a little piece of :love: TED CRUZ :love: inside him.

But given some of his posts on Facebook, I'm pretty sure if he and Jindal were in the same room, someone would have to physically hold him back from punching Jindal in the face a few times. Dead serious. I've tried to politely point out that what Jindal did to Louisiana Cruz, Rubio, and even Trump to a lesser extent want to do to the entire US but of course somehow those guys can do no wrong because *reasons*

Xarthor fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 4, 2016

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

They're blaming Edwards and Obama most of the time. If they are a Republican that came to hate Jindal(most of our Trumpers) many still blame Edwards for not expanding what we can cut.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Damonic posted:

I don't really know too much about how primaries work, but I'm sure one of you guys could answer this for me.

When a candidate drops out of the race, what happens to the delegates they won? Do they move to another candidate(s), or do they just disappear into the aether?
They die. :(

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Republicans can safely blame jindal cuz he's not white.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Trump just changed his mind and announced that he would not order the military to commit a war crime. (probably because someone told him that they would probably not obey such an order)

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Project Ratfuck is fully operational, gentlemen.
http://reverbpress.com/politics/battlegrounds/romney-reactivates-presidential-campaign-committees/
Check this, Romney is on the move. This is a bit bigger than just a speech or two.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's in the process. Or it's starting anyhow.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

Edit:

Dress like a popular Democratic president? :raise:

edit: also "I only date men who, when angry, deal with their rage by invading another country and killing thousands."

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 4, 2016

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

http://reverbpress.com/politics/battlegrounds/romney-reactivates-presidential-campaign-committees/
Check this, Romney is on the move. This is a bit bigger than just a speech or two.

:getin:

Also let's burn this fucker to the ground etc. etc.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The saddest part about Louisiana is that this Democratic governor will probably take the blame for Jindal's incompetence come 2019.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Glenn Beck taking this new Cruz surrogate act of his to new levels

Beck: If I Were Next to Trump at GOP Debate With a Knife ‘the Stabbing Just Wouldn’t Stop’

Dial back the act clown

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

I don't think I have enough popcorn for this. And I'm going to need marshmallows and hot dogs to roast over the flaming embers of the party.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

If a person has zero means of being represented in court doesn't that put the validity of said court proceedings in to question? Telling poor people "you have the right to an attorney, if you can't afford one gently caress you" doesn't seem like it'd hold up. I'm sure I'm wrong though since our judicial system is a loving monster that even if judges have to just start letting people back on the street it'll already have done its damage to them.

Jindal needs to be put on trial and then sent to the chair for loving his state as badly as he did (same with Snyder, Brownback, and a few others). If we're going to keep the death penalty around then it should at least be used on people who deserve it.

Defendants in Louisiana will likely rot in jail for longer than they should, but that can only happen up to a point, even in a deep dark red state that doesn't give a drat about due process. The law varies a bit by state, but the constitution requires some guarantee of a right to a speedy trial.

In that state, you have to have a hearing within 45 days (or 60 days for a felony, or 120 days for a felony with a possible punishment of LWOP or death). After you get your hearing if you are held over for trial, you can submit a demand for a speedy trial to the court, after which the case has to go to trial within 30 days (or 120 days for a felony) but if the defendant waives that right or does not know how to make this demand, he might rot in jail for quite a while until the state finally gets to him. So they do have time to screw around with people charged with a felony until they get this budget crisis worked out, but a lot of people who were charged with misdemeanors and know how to assert their rights may have to be released.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Gawker is reporting that they received a file containing voicemails from a one Donald Trump, allegedly from people like Mika and Joe (MSNBC), Tamron Hall (again, MSNBC) and David Axelrod, among others.

Allegedly the group behind is from 4chan; they say they basically took the number Trump gave out on Twitter and entered random numbers and stumbled on his voicemail. They then tricked the phone service's customer rep to reset the password.

Warcabbit posted:

:aaaaa: Who is whispering in this man's ear that would suggest this is anywhere near a good idea :aaaaa:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Warcabbit posted:

Meanwhile Reince was with Hannity today at CPAC and Hannity hammered him on the convention and possible shenanigans.

:jumpin:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
ive never watched a political party die in real time before, if only twitter existed during the time of the Whigs

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gideon_v._Wainwright - In 1963 the Supreme Court ruled that, under the 14th Amendment, states must provide defense lawyers.

But of course... if you have no lawyer, who's gonna help you appeal the case? In Gideon v Wainwright the defendant represented himself all the way to the Supreme Court, hard to imagine that happening now.

Have a look at this horrifying speech by a DoJ representative, explaining to a non-US audience how insanely complicated it is to finance legal aid in America.

(This quote is from a summary report on the conference, not a direct quote, but)

quote:

The federal criminal legal aid system, which uses the public defender model, is often considered the best in the US, and is well funded and well resourced. However, over 90% of criminal cases in the US concern violations of state law.

The federal public defenders office is funded by annual appropriations from Congress. Its 2015 budget is 1 billion USD for 94 offices. At the state level, all states handle legal aid funding differently, and are supplemented by federal funding, as is tribal legal aid. According to a 2007 census, for the total of 957 state offices across the US, which handle over 5.6 million cases and employ over 15,000 attorneys, the annual budget was 2.3 billion USD, a vastly lower amount per office than at the federal level. This is partly due to the fact that, when money is given to states by the federal government for criminal justice purposes, the federal government cannot require that it be used for any particular purpose area, including criminal legal aid. States often prioritize police and prosecution over legal aid when allocating that money.

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 4, 2016

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Warcabbit posted:

I'm pretty sure I said something along the lines of Romney entering the Royal Rumble as the 30th candidate. His theme song was Money by Pink Floyd.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Trabisnikof posted:

I will keep this in mind when a doctor orders a enema or a suppository for my patients. I will also be sure to let the doctor know that he can no longer give colonoscopies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Warcabbit posted:

I have to see how this all ends. the GOP if hosed no matter what.

• Locked thread