Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Hamsterlady posted:

Is there a goon presence on Gilgamesh? I made an alt there and was curious.

Not that I'm aware of. Goons seem to be concentrated on Excalibur, Exodus and Balmung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Aside from the completionist aspect, is it worth to keep working in your 2.0 weapon? It's not brought forward with new quests, right?

Completionist. Glamour. Title. Access to the quest to receive your very own glowy kettle (and kettle knuckles for monks). And it lets you skip the fate grinding step for a 3.0 relic.

If any of those appeal to you, go ahead and keep poking at it - many of the steps have been considerably nerfed to the point that it's not that big a grind. Probably the worst part at present is doing the animus books, specifically the "do these 3 very specific fates that may or may not decide to pop in a timely manner" parts. Before and after that it's pretty smooth sailing.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Vil posted:

Access to the quest to receive your very own glowy kettle (and kettle knuckles for monks).

I adore how hard Square leans into the stupid, silly and fun aspects of their setting.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Kortel posted:

This game is pretty bad for catching up new players. Just the sheer amount of things needed to do prior to current content is daunting.

No kidding. I've been at this game for about 3 months and I still have a HELL of a lot of things left to do. Not to mention the hoops you gotta jump through if you're like me and want a full set of stuff. Like I know Dreadwyrm gear will be useless pretty soon if I continue MSQ, but how can I go forward with half Augmented and half Dreadwyrm?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Your stubborn dedication to glamour is proof that on some level you are doing this right.

That said, both T12 and T13 drop music rolls that will remain in demand for a long time so coming back later to farm them won't be too hard whenever you do want to move on.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tortolia posted:

I adore how hard Square leans into the stupid, silly and fun aspects of their setting.

I normally have Sphairai Nexus as my glamour so people didn't notice at first when I was breaking skulls with tea kettles.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

SonicRulez posted:

No kidding. I've been at this game for about 3 months and I still have a HELL of a lot of things left to do. Not to mention the hoops you gotta jump through if you're like me and want a full set of stuff. Like I know Dreadwyrm gear will be useless pretty soon if I continue MSQ, but how can I go forward with half Augmented and half Dreadwyrm?

Augmented and Dreadwyrm combined will last you about level 55 before HW gear starts to outclass it. It's pretty good.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Thundarr posted:

I normally have Sphairai Nexus as my glamour so people didn't notice at first when I was breaking skulls with tea kettles.

I didn't even know they put in knuckles. I am going to have to fast track finishing my Monk leveling.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I'm disappointed in the lack of Kettle Codex Nexus. Get to it, SE!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of leveling up ARR "relics", is it worth it to get the supra / lucis items? My understanding is they made them a little bit easier to get, since it's easily outclassed at higher levels. I hit 50 on botanist finally (god that is a slog), and was wondering about upping the ability of it a bit.

edit: I know at level 52 I can just throw the new Heavensward one on there and almost outclass the lucis item, but maybe ~glamour~ or achievements would tempt me otherwise.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 4, 2016

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Gear wise it's absolutely unnecessary, since you can get by from 50-60 on NPC gear just fine and there a whole new set of misery to obtain at 60. For glamour, that's up to you if you like the looks of any of the stuff.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

seiferguy posted:

edit: I know at level 52 I can just throw the new Heavensward one on there and almost outclass the lucis item, but maybe ~glamour~ or achievements would tempt me otherwise.

Glamour and achievements are the only reasons. For stats, you are much, MUCH better off spending your time leveling instead. Be sure to do your class quests, as the HW intro gatherer quests give scrolls to double your XP for a time, making the early levels less of a slog.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

seiferguy posted:

Augmented and Dreadwyrm combined will last you about level 55 before HW gear starts to outclass it. It's pretty good.

Really? Worth it then, I'm at level 52. T13 fills up alright if it's a good night. The fun and awful thing about Party Finder is getting just the right group. I've cleared T13 in 7 minutes, 20 minutes, and wiped 3 times before a guy just said "We can't do this without all 60s" and bailed.

Tortolia posted:

Your stubborn dedication to glamour is proof that on some level you are doing this right.

That said, both T12 and T13 drop music rolls that will remain in demand for a long time so coming back later to farm them won't be too hard whenever you do want to move on.

I feel like this MMO would've been tossed in my garbage a while ago if I wasn't stubborn about achieving stuff. I'm doing alright, too. I wanted the LeviPony. I wanted to clear CT. Now I want this and the long goal is still glowy circle.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

SonicRulez posted:

I have two friends who just started. They unlocked SCH and PLD and just got to Brayflox/Titan. It takes forever.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

before a guy just said "We can't do this without all 60s" and bailed.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this and failing miserably. I mean sure, if you do it at 60 you have ridiculous stuff like 18k HP healers, but still.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nipponophile posted:

Glamour and achievements are the only reasons. For stats, you are much, MUCH better off spending your time leveling instead. Be sure to do your class quests, as the HW intro gatherer quests give scrolls to double your XP for a time, making the early levels less of a slog.

Fair enough. I already got miner to 60 and didn't use the XP scrolls, so I'll burn through those for botanist.

SonicRulez posted:

Really? Worth it then, I'm at level 52. T13 fills up alright if it's a good night. The fun and awful thing about Party Finder is getting just the right group. I've cleared T13 in 7 minutes, 20 minutes, and wiped 3 times before a guy just said "We can't do this without all 60s" and bailed.

You're more likely to find bad than good with party finder results. Even level 60 unsynced groups have problems with Ramuh extreme because they don't understand how the orbs work and just think "hey I'm 60 I can skip mechanics with this fight!" and it just goes horribly.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Saigyouji posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around this and failing miserably. I mean sure, if you do it at 60 you have ridiculous stuff like 18k HP healers, but still.

To be 100% fair, we were doing it with 7 instead of 8. He kinda had a point. I can't survive a Tetraflare even if I have managed not to die and have full HP when it goes off. I need some kind of shields and poo poo. People see unsynched and generally refuse all mechanics though. Megaflares were eating people alive.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Well, your SCH/AST shouldn't really be letting the party eat an unmitigated Teraflare in the first place, especially if you can only hit LB2.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of leveling up ARR "relics", is it worth it to get the supra / lucis items? My understanding is they made them a little bit easier to get, since it's easily outclassed at higher levels. I hit 50 on botanist finally (god that is a slog), and was wondering about upping the ability of it a bit.

Statwise the lucis tools are identical to level 58 NQ mainhands so they work fine for leveling all the way to 60 if you already have them. They are now pretty easy to get but still a bit tedious, so if you haven't already started I'd ignore them unless you want the glamour.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

What is the customary amount of gil to tip for jamming materia into equipment?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is SE ever going to open up additional Grand Company ranks?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SirPhoebos posted:

Yes but they're waiting until after the Dragonsong War.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

GlitchThief posted:

This entirely depends on whos doing it. Just about everyone I've asked has been a FC member so they do it for free. The couple of times I've had some stranger do it they've always told me to keep my gil. So I don't doubt there are people out there who will be mad about you not tipping them, but I've never run across one personally.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Yoship said in an interview pre-HW launch that they plan to, but he wants things to be more involved than "turn in seals -> get promotion". He wants to have more involved quests and instances written around them, which they haven't had the resources to work on while still handling all the Heavensward content.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They should just make you General for what happens in 3.2.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Grand Companies in general have been stagnant since 2.0, save for separating you from your friends for Frontlines. I think the only quests in the Grand Company section of your journal are the chocobo quest and your rank ups, aren't they?

Hopefully with The Dragonsong War winding down the focus can shift back fighting the Garleans and Merlwyb can get back to owning dudes on the field.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 4, 2016

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

To be 100% fair, we were doing it with 7 instead of 8. He kinda had a point. I can't survive a Tetraflare even if I have managed not to die and have full HP when it goes off. I need some kind of shields and poo poo. People see unsynched and generally refuse all mechanics though. Megaflares were eating people alive.

Surviving Tera Flare used to depend on tank LB, and the LB bar fills up more slowly when running unsynced. The tradeoff is that you generally have more HP and beefier shields so you can still live through it just fine with 60s, but you do run into potential survivability issues if it's unsynced-but-not-60, especially toward the lower end of the 50s like you are.

Mega Flare, on the other hand, will still gib (or severely injure) people at 60 if they can't be hosed to do the mechanics for it properly. (Spread out at first, dodge big round puddles, people with circly things on their heads and only those people and not others stack together, and later on when the towers show up too, stand in them.) At 60, you can largely ignore the "spread out at first" and "dodge big round puddles" I think (so long as you're not all standing in a giant pile), but the stack mechanic and the tower mechanic will still gently caress you up.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

GlitchThief posted:

spell things with the gil, or use symbolic numbers (187, 666, 777, 1488, etc)

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Every member of Twin Adders is a bitch.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Aphrodite posted:

They should just make you General for what happens in 3.2.

3.2 spoilers: I felt a bit bad about not fighting for the Maelstrom even though I guess a victory in the melee was essential to stop Ishgard from collapsing into civil war or whatever.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Hamsterlady posted:

Is there a goon presence on Gilgamesh? I made an alt there and was curious.

I mean, I'm on Gilgamesh, so technically? I should be on later tonight. Hit up Pretzel Vendor, and I can gear up your lowbie levels with some HQ gear.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
SE entered into ARR extremely safe and new player friendly, trying to completely avoid any 'hard/confrontational' gameplay, mechanics or systems. They treated the player base as babies.

The player base became babies. 'Growing up' in a game where their every need was catered too, and everything was handed to them on a silver platter.

And now we can't have nice things. RIP supported addons. Hard dungeons. Larger raid tiers. Decent PVP. Or any competitive PVE gameplay.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Empress Theonora posted:

3.2 spoilers: I felt a bit bad about not fighting for the Maelstrom even though I guess a victory in the melee was essential to stop Ishgard from collapsing into civil war or whatever.

Does raughbah use your GC rank of you're not flames?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Verranicus posted:

SE entered into ARR extremely safe and new player friendly, trying to completely avoid any 'hard/confrontational' gameplay, mechanics or systems. They treated the player base as babies.

The player base became babies. 'Growing up' in a game where their every need was catered too, and everything was handed to them on a silver platter.

And now we can't have nice things. RIP supported addons. Hard dungeons. Larger raid tiers. Decent PVP. Or any competitive PVE gameplay.

I'd bet money this person has not cleared Midas Savage yet.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GlitchThief posted:

As a counterpoint, it does depend heavily on how much materia we're talking here. If it's just the one slot on some Midas or whatever, absolutely, 1488 or 1337 or 8008. If you're talking overmelded 60 gatherer gear or something... well, crafters can make a fair chunk an hour, so it's some function of time spent and how much they like you.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Tip heavy when a lalafell stares at you with its cold, dead potato eyes as it shoves souls into items. It could be you next.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

hobbesmaster posted:

Does raughbah use your GC rank of you're not flames?

I don't thiiiiiiink so but I can't remember! Can anybody else with 3.2 fresher in their mind weigh in?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

My copy of the 3.0 OST arrived. I just realized that I don't actually have a Bluray reader installed in my desktop to read it with. Goddammit.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Empress Theonora posted:

I don't thiiiiiiink so but I can't remember! Can anybody else with 3.2 fresher in their mind weigh in?

I'm with the Maelstrom and I don't remember him addressing me as Lieutenant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
does anyone know of blue scrip rotations for crafters? I'm trying to level up my CUL past 56 but everything I find requires like 400 CP and I have 310 or so.

• Locked thread