Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bob Morales posted:

Considering the room doesn't have HVAC, power backup, or anything else it wouldn't be too hard to move the servers (there are only 3).

Although, it would be a bitch to move the 66 blocks and telephone wiring, as well as the two fiber circuits that go in there.

It's going to be a bitch you say? Well good thing you are hiring a contractor to do the renovations and put an HVAC in your new server room! If they turn the AC off for the winter and are too cheap you could just go buy some consumer ACs put them in the wall and get a drip pan that empties into a sink, bonus if you need a path for the water that is long distance so it's going around half the building into a bathroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

RadicalR posted:

Hahaha, hope you gave them a bill on exactly how much that's going to cost, including downtime. That'll get them to change their minds on "moving the IT stuff".

Had a similar situation with some annoying marketing exec that pissed off the wrong person and ended up being the "CIO" for a while. The company was moving offices into a brand new building getting built specifically for us. This dipshit didnt know anything about IT so he just tried to come in under cost for EVERYTHING to impress the people on the board. Instead of hiring movers to handle moving all of the IT equipment he expected all 15 of us in IT to move everything for over 700 people and our server room.

Needless to say after every single one us from the lowliest help desk to the most senior flat out refused he backed off and had to pay some moving company an exorbitant amount of money to get everything moved last minute. Everyone in IT was already burnt out from working a ton of hours for the move anyway, one guy had seizures that limited his mobility and another older guy had a bad back, it would've taken us weeks to do ourselves.

The best part of all this. As the move was ongoing and people were getting pissed stuff was coming in late the CEO had an impromptu hallway meeting with IT raising hell about equipment coming in and getting setup late. The "CIO" tried to throw us all under the bus saying how we refused to do the moving and he had to hire a company to do it last minute. His quote "I thought these guys wanted to feel like part of the team and help move". I think he came close to getting murdered by us and the CEO. The CEO tore the guy a new rear end in a top hat about how he could be so stupid to think that a small team of highly paid professional people already working extra hours would WANT to move equipment all day on nights and weekends. How if he had half a clue he would realize that it didnt make much sense to have the DBA you pay $90k a year move boxes instead of doing his normal day to day duties. It was such a sweet verbal takedown, I'll cherish it for the rest of my life.

Long story long, the "CIO" got fired about 4 weeks later.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Morales posted:

Considering the room doesn't have HVAC, power backup, or anything else it wouldn't be too hard to move the servers (there are only 3).

Although, it would be a bitch to move the 66 blocks and telephone wiring, as well as the two fiber circuits that go in there.

Use words like "extended downtime" and "profits lost", along with a bill for speccing out an appropriate new server room with all those things.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Don't you guys have maternity leave? Why would you ever want someone bringing their infant to work?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Collateral Damage posted:

Don't you guys have maternity leave? Why would you ever want someone bringing their infant to work?

Breast pumps :ssh:.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
We have a few pumping rooms at work. They just use an empty office and throw in a cheap fridge so they can store milk. It works pretty well. I've got a lady on my team who's about 2 months post partum.

Also - it is definitely crazy how many more women have babies and keep working when there is a good maternity leave policy in place. I feel like pregnancy is infectious at this point. At all my other jobs, most women would end up quitting because there was no support system in place and no maternity leave.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I interviewed at Samsung in November, and the job was a Linux administrator job. Highlights of the job included:

• I get to primary on call 24/7/365 for 50 servers, backup on call for another 50. No, not part of a rotation, but it's all me. If I don't answer, and my backup doesn't answer, it rings my manager and I'm fired. LOLOOLLOLO funny the guy said.
  • They are migrating about 3000 hosts from AS400 to RHEL in the next two months. Number of AS400 guys they have? 10, number of RHEL guys 3, hopefully if I take the job 4, and maybe 5 if they can find another guy lololol interview cracking himself up
  • Over christmas they are also moving all their physical server and entire office to a new location. We will all have terrible holidays! lololol they all laugh
  • Discount on Samsung phones

Well, sign me up. They offered me a decent salary, I responded asking for $25k more, and with blinking they said "no problem".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

3000 with 4 is doable.. if all the machines are identical. It's when people start fragmenting chunks of nodes into unique snowflakes that poo poo goes south.

And being on call every day of the year is a show stopper.. +$25k or +$50k, I don't care. People deserve to be able to go out at night sometimes. :colbert:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
How are you the sole on-call when there's other people operating in a similar capacity? Are you their direct report?

Not understanding why there isn't a rotation in that scenario.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
No, I am not walking you through fixing a monitor at your house that I know nothing about. Stop keeping me on the phone, I'm hanging up now, bye.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So if you're hit by a car, and your backup's playing hooky, you get fired? :wtc:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I interviewed at Samsung in November, and the job was a Linux administrator job. Highlights of the job included:

• I get to primary on call 24/7/365 for 50 servers, backup on call for another 50. No, not part of a rotation, but it's all me. If I don't answer, and my backup doesn't answer, it rings my manager and I'm fired. LOLOOLLOLO funny the guy said.
  • They are migrating about 3000 hosts from AS400 to RHEL in the next two months. Number of AS400 guys they have? 10, number of RHEL guys 3, hopefully if I take the job 4, and maybe 5 if they can find another guy lololol interview cracking himself up
  • Over christmas they are also moving all their physical server and entire office to a new location. We will all have terrible holidays! lololol they all laugh

Well, sign me up. They offered me a decent salary, I responded asking for $25k more, and with blinking they said "no problem".

Run fast, run screaming. Never look back.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I am almost 100% certain that these 24/7365 on call jobs are a wrong termination lawyers wet dream.

The logic just doesn't make sense. Can't get ahold of me on the phone once and I am fired because my job is so critical? If my job is so critical why am I so expendable?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

3000 with 4 is doable.. if all the machines are identical. It's when people start fragmenting chunks of nodes into unique snowflakes that poo poo goes south.

And being on call every day of the year is a show stopper.. +$25k or +$50k, I don't care. People deserve to be able to go out at night sometimes. :colbert:

It's not, the DC is the server farm for all the Samsung NA internal servers, so different business units need server space, they call up this division and "rent" it from them. I assume it all a bunch of different environments, since Samsung is like five million disjointed companies all with the same name.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

How are you the sole on-call when there's other people operating in a similar capacity? Are you their direct report?

Not understanding why there isn't a rotation in that scenario.

When he explained it to me, I asked "wait so there's like a rotation right?" and he was clear there was not. I asked him like five times, just to be clear.

Sickening posted:

I am almost 100% certain that these 24/7365 on call jobs are a wrong termination lawyers wet dream.

The logic just doesn't make sense. Can't get ahold of me on the phone once and I am fired because my job is so critical? If my job is so critical why am I so expendable?

So, I have a backup, the two of us aren't allowed to take time off at the same time. The guy interviewing said "well, I miss my daughter's soccer games all the time for on call stuff, but since I love this job so much it's not a big deal." :psyduck:

AlphaKretin posted:

So if you're hit by a car, and your backup's playing hooky, you get fired? :wtc:

Yes, I specifically asked this scenario, and he said that was correct. He said it jokingly, but I asked him to clarify and he was like "yes, well, the idea is to just be available and do you job."
r
For 120k it was not worth it.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

So, I have a backup, the two of us aren't allowed to take time off at the same time. The guy interviewing said "well, I miss my daughter's soccer games all the time for on call stuff, but since I love this job so much it's not a big deal." :psyduck:

There's something about IT that makes it a prime venue for the Stockholm Syndrome types.

We're all masochists, I guess.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

For 120k it was not worth it.

Its not worth it at 145k either. Actually , i am having a hard time figuring out what number it would be before it be worth it.

The stress worrying about missing a phone call to keep your job when you aren't at work would be enough for me. Mix that in with PTO being a hassle to take and nope, I might as well just be working two jobs than having 1 lovely, high paying one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd consider it for seven figures, if I was younger and single.

Live a lovely life for two years then buy a cabin in the mountains and never work again.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Just pay some answering service to take the calls

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Bob Morales posted:

Set your voicemail message to "HEY, CANT HEAR YOU I'M IN THE SERVER ROOM. I KNOW SHITS BROKEN, WORKING ON IT NOW."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bob Morales posted:

Hire an it support company in India to give phone support and forward your mobile to them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yeah, sounds about right.

For reference, Samsung has a very Korean management style (accomplished by literally flying someone in from Korea to be your boss) of "you are always working, there is no such thing as time you cannot be available." The concept of quitting due to your treatment is frequently alien and not at all considered in the decision making. Add in to this the fact that timelines are factored in well in advance and that no one wants to say no to their superiors, and this is what you get.

There's a reason I burned out there after 9 months.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Volmarias posted:

For reference, Samsung has a very Korean management style (accomplished by literally flying someone in from Korea to be your boss) of "you are always working, there is no such thing as time you cannot be available." The concept of quitting due to your treatment is frequently alien and not at all considered in the decision making. Add in to this the fact that timelines are factored in well in advance and that no one wants to say no to their superiors, and this is what you get.

Samsung in NJ, maybe?

I've never had an interview quite like it, every interview I've had was always positive, oh we never work late, it's always great, blah blah, but this was fascinating how honest they were, about how awful it was while still being so cheerful.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Volmarias posted:

I can confirm that Korean culture is pretty bizarre.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
poo poo pissing me off today: MOCA adapter costs.

FFS, 75 bucks?! :mad:

Guess I'm doing some low voltage wiring this weekend at my new house.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Samsung in NJ, maybe?

I've never had an interview quite like it, every interview I've had was always positive, oh we never work late, it's always great, blah blah, but this was fascinating how honest they were, about how awful it was while still being so cheerful.

This was in NJ, the Bridgewater Verizon lab to be specific. I know there's different sites though, and I was doing mobile phone development stuff.

The reason for the behavior is Stockholm syndrome. The guy genuinely liked being abused.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I try to live by the mantra of having everything in writing for CYA sake, but some days it doesn't seem to matter.

My boss :rant: : "This email came in from our CFO, why didn't anybody respond to it?!"
Me :v: : "I responded to it days ago and CCed you."
My boss :rant:: "Well, what did you say?"

I need to stop treating email like a transcript that will save me and more like a black hole for everybody above me in the org to ignore.

beepsandboops fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 4, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

beepsandboops posted:

I try to live by the mantra of having everything in righting for CYA sake, but some days it doesn't seem to matter.

My boss :rant: : "This email came in from our CFO, why didn't anybody respond to it?!"
Me :v: : "I responded to it days ago and CCed you."
My boss :rant:: "Well, what did you say?"

I need to stop treating email like a transcript that will save me and more like a black hole for everybody above me in the org to ignore.

My counterpart at a client refuses to email anything. He'll email me "I need to ask a question, please call" so I'll email him back asking for his question in writing, but he'll refuse. Then I'll call, and at the end of the call ask him to recap the call in an email, he'll refuse. I'll do it myself and in the email asking him to respond confirming we agree, he'll never respond. Then when a problem arrises, he'll say he didn't see the email.

It's infuriating.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

DigitalMocking posted:

poo poo pissing me off today: MOCA adapter costs.

FFS, 75 bucks?! :mad:

Guess I'm doing some low voltage wiring this weekend at my new house.

The last time I looked into these the best price was at TiVo's store. They charged less for a pair than what most people charged for one.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

thebigcow posted:

The last time I looked into these the best price was at TiVo's store. They charged less for a pair than what most people charged for one.

drat, look at that, 49 bucks at the tivo store.

Still overpriced, but reasonable. I only need to run MOCA to one far off bedroom in the new house. Better than crawling around in the attic :p

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
We've been pursuing a cisco UCS blade environment to replace the lovely HP thing we have. First conversation was great, they said we'd be surprised at the pricing and honestly we were! Then every subsequent call included higher and higher costs for additional equipment required.

Now the thing has ballooned to over double our original quote, way above what we thought it would cost and why we thought we couldn't afford the thing to begin with. We've wasted 3 months hunting down every additional cost only to prove what we already suspected, and what cisco told us wasn't true.

So after working my rear end off to stall us from dropping more money into HP, all I have to show for it is wasted time and a beefed HP environment we'll never escape.

gently caress.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

We've been pursuing a cisco UCS blade environment to replace the lovely HP thing we have. First conversation was great, they said we'd be surprised at the pricing and honestly we were! Then every subsequent call included higher and higher costs for additional equipment required.

Now the thing has ballooned to over double our original quote, way above what we thought it would cost and why we thought we couldn't afford the thing to begin with. We've wasted 3 months hunting down every additional cost only to prove what we already suspected, and what cisco told us wasn't true.

So after working my rear end off to stall us from dropping more money into HP, all I have to show for it is wasted time and a beefed HP environment we'll never escape.

gently caress.

I think the biggest rookie mistake I made was when I was part of a big EMC purchase which we were really happy with at first. it came time around to renew the support contract and bam... they were wanting the same amount of money to renew the contract as they were for the entire initial purchase + support. We were told we were given massive discounts due to being a first time customer and blah blah blah, but its nothing but it was nothing more than an attempted robbery to see if we would balk at dropping the contract and going through an entire new purchase with a competitor.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Who else has level 3 and just had their entire circuits poo poo the bed? Fun times.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sickening posted:

I think the biggest rookie mistake I made was when I was part of a big EMC purchase which we were really happy with at first. it came time around to renew the support contract and bam... they were wanting the same amount of money to renew the contract as they were for the entire initial purchase + support. We were told we were given massive discounts due to being a first time customer and blah blah blah, but its nothing but it was nothing more than an attempted robbery to see if we would balk at dropping the contract and going through an entire new purchase with a competitor.
Kind of on the opposite side of that, my old boss would pay NetApp and HP these HUGE service contracts to keep equipement running that was 5-6 years old.

I'm like "you know for what we're paying for 1 year we could get newer/bigger/faster for 3 years"

But then we'd have to switch them out blah blah

So what it'd only take a weekend and it's be SO NICE TO HAVE NOT lovely STUFF. And we'd save money.

Well...

gently caress that dude. Enjoy your HP G3 servers in YOTL 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sickening posted:

Who else has level 3 and just had their entire circuits poo poo the bed? Fun times.

Our VOIP provider uses L3 and it's been very fun dealing with the several layers of delayed reactions that come into play when they poo poo the bed.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

nitrogen posted:

I Worked with a guy who was an amazingly smart MSSQL/Windows server guy. Top notch guy, took care of stuff like a boss.

He seriously believed in just about everything Alex Jones and David Icke peddle.

This. So hard

- Senior Manager believed the Earth was flat. Literally.

- Lead Virtualization Engineer Fundamentalist Christian and Ted Cruz supporter

- Cisco Instructor exclaimed George Bush was a great president

- Lead Java Developer insane libertarian and believe the solution to gun violence was to simply give everyone a gun

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Points 2 and 3 aren't really crazy, just ideologically different. 4 is a bit out there. None of those come anywhere close to the crazy required for believing the earth is flat though, because that involves international conspiracies costing literally all of the world's money for the last 2000 years.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

My AP Physics teacher Freshman year of high school showed us a flat worlder video. He was laughing the entire time, he asked the class questions about it and tried to be serious that the world was flat later saying that no the people on the tape were paid actors and no one could believe that stuff. I was convinced that yes the people did believe it but wanted to believe that he was right and no one could. He spend half the free time after that arguing with a girl who was actually convinced by the video that the world was flat. He burned the VHS tape in front of us and while apologizing to the girl the entire time.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

pixaal posted:

My AP Physics teacher Freshman year of high school showed us a flat worlder video. He was laughing the entire time, he asked the class questions about it and tried to be serious that the world was flat later saying that no the people on the tape were paid actors and no one could believe that stuff. I was convinced that yes the people did believe it but wanted to believe that he was right and no one could. He spend half the free time after that arguing with a girl who was actually convinced by the video that the world was flat. He burned the VHS tape in front of us and while apologizing to the girl the entire time.

If the earth is round, how come airplane pilots don't have to keep pushing down on the control column to keep from flying off the earth, tell me that.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Just got into an argument with the VP of Marketing because she wanted admin access to our dashboard to manage our conferencing and phone system. I don't know how many times I had to hear her say "I'm very good with computers so..." only for my concerns about accountability, chain of custody, etc. to be ignored.

I'm the final word on these things so there was never any chance of her winning the argument, but it's a Pyrrhic victory because now I've got a woman who has let her pointless title go to her head who will no doubt take this whole thing as a personal slight which must be avenged.

Edit: also she's terrible with computers, as expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Actually planes do have to constantly adjust their pitch, that's why they're all required to have trim controls so the pilot doesn't get exhausted trying to fly level.

:colbert: