Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
At least the secular ones seem to be having the time of their lives according to that article.

quote:

He says he felt at home as soon as he got off the plane in Sao Paulo. Before long, he had a job at a hair salon. Someone put the Brazilian national cocktail, a caipirinha, in his hands. He parties till the small hours, many nights, even if he has to work the next day.

Also brazilians are crazy about foreigners no matter where they're from, so it's sad to see this is actually backfiring in some cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My introductory reading for my US border policy class is a lovely piece of journalism from 2002. I currently find it extremely depressing and I'm tempted to avoid the rest of it. What should I do?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Finally our brave media reporters are taking that scoundrel Lula to task. I wonder how he will explain away buying a fishing barge worth a whopping four thousand reais.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Finally our brave media reporters are taking that scoundrel Lula to task. I wonder how he will explain away buying a fishing barge worth a whopping four thousand reais.

You know is not about the boat itself.

The boat is being used as further proof that Sítio Santa Bárbara, which was reformed by OAS apparently for free, belongs to him

EDIT: vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv it looks pretty suspicious, if you ask me

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 1, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
They're pushing the triplex thing pretty hard, and I can't see if they have a legitimate case or if it's just an extra layer of erosion on Lula's (and by extent, PT) credibility.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

hecko posted:

$1000 Luca Prodan.

Yes.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
As if the olympic games needed any more help to be a giant clusterfuck 10 times as worse as London, we're having an outbreak of Zika, which is certain to spread like crazy to people all over the world who will take it back to their countries.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-35466667

quote:

"We have to explain to those coming to Brazil, the athletes, that there is zero risk if you are not a pregnant woman," Reuters quoted President Dilma Rousseff's chief of staff Jaques Wagner as saying.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Zero risk other than the temporarily paralysis. I am sure that won't be a problem in an athletic event.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Zero risk other than the temporarily paralysis. I am sure that won't be a problem in an athletic event.

Not to mention that for some reason couples get super fertile during vacation trips, where they're less stressed out and having fun.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Isn't it also entirely possible that if you are not a fertile-age woman you still get bitten, take it back to wherever you come from, and then potentially get bitten by a local mosquito? I'm sure the probability is low but with the Olympics you have hundreds of thousands of people moving around.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Isn't it also entirely possible that if you are not a fertile-age woman you still get bitten, take it back to wherever you come from, and then potentially get bitten by a local mosquito? I'm sure the probability is low but with the Olympics you have hundreds of thousands of people moving around.

I had assumed that was how it was spreading in the first place. Is it some other way?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not all mosquitoes can transmit these diseases, especially in cold northern countries, so most infected people won't be able to spread it. But due to the miracle of nature, we're discovering some new mosquitoes that can transmit the diseases, the hard way. The aedes aegypti mosquito is basically the ultimate human predator. It thrives in cities, has no irritating buzzing sound and a painless bite.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

I had assumed that was how it was spreading in the first place. Is it some other way?

Or maybe it is that Brazilians are monkeys indigenous to the Zika tropical forest of Uganda. :shrug:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

You know is not about the boat itself.

The boat is being used as further proof that Sítio Santa Bárbara, which was reformed by OAS apparently for free, belongs to him

EDIT: vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv it looks pretty suspicious, if you ask me

It's possible (and I'd say likely) that both Lula was involved in wrong doing and getting side benefits, and that this is being pursued for political gains. I mean, one of the arrested bankers paid Aecio Neves'' honeymoon, and that hardly gets any press. The funny thing is that at this point most of my acquaintances will acknowledge that psdb is at least just as bad as PT, but come 2018 they still want a PSDB victory.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

nerdz posted:

Not all mosquitoes can transmit these diseases, especially in cold northern countries, so most infected people won't be able to spread it. But due to the miracle of nature, we're discovering some new mosquitoes that can transmit the diseases, the hard way. The aedes aegypti mosquito is basically the ultimate human predator. It thrives in cities, has no irritating buzzing sound and a painless bite.

Not to mention that it has an extraordinary large range and is present basically everywhere in the Southern Hemisphere and as far north as Virginia. The cherry is that Aedes Aegypti are also vectors for West Nile, Dengue, and Chikungunya.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

nerdz posted:

There's been at least one documented case of Zika spreading via sexual transmission so you don't even necessarily need a mosquito.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I dont know posted:

Not to mention that it has an extraordinary large range and is present basically everywhere in the Southern Hemisphere and as far north as Virginia. The cherry is that Aedes Aegypti are also vectors for West Nile, Dengue, and Chikungunya.

You forgot yellow fever.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Leading candidate for the Peruvian elections atm is the daughter of ex-president Fujimori, who was convicted for corruption and ethnic cleansing by sterilizing hundreds of indigenous women. *sad trombone*

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
"Drunk monkey attacks people with a Knife in Brazil. The monkey was running around the bar, attacking only men , not women. As people were leaving the place , the monkey was drinking the cachaça that was left in the cups." says the sergeant , who managed to disarm the animal. Named Chico the monkey follows "detained " in the 4th Battalion waiting for a decision from IBAMA on your destination"

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a00_1455284909

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

"Drunk monkey attacks people with a Knife in Brazil. The monkey was running around the bar, attacking only men , not women. As people were leaving the place , the monkey was drinking the cachaça that was left in the cups." says the sergeant , who managed to disarm the animal. Named Chico the monkey follows "detained " in the 4th Battalion waiting for a decision from IBAMA on your destination"

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a00_1455284909

They are going to find someone else to write the stimulus Olympics bill...

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

The Leading candidate for the Peruvian elections atm is the daughter of ex-president Fujimori, who was convicted for corruption and ethnic cleansing by sterilizing hundreds of indigenous women. *sad trombone*

Fujishock butthurt itt

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Some Taiwan site made this cute video about the Rio olympic games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MITN3o8dVLk

Cant say is completely untrue

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd say it's actually pretty close to 100% truth. they have gone way way over budget on the bay cleaning efforts and now simply gave up. I'm in Rio right now and that is only one of the countless things that won't be ready for the Olympic games. If London and Sochi were hilarious to keep track of all the mishaps, this is the one to look out for.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Why the hell should we spend all that money to please a bunch of loving gringos in first place? That should be used to help local infrastructure instead of a bunch of fruits who do "sports" and whine about getting disease.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Why the hell should we spend all that money to please a bunch of loving gringos in first place? That should be used to help local infrastructure instead of a bunch of fruits who do "sports" and whine about getting disease.

Protip: Hosting a major sporting event never help the occupants of a city, and is solely agreed to as a way to allow the higher-ups of said city government to embezzle even more money than they usually do.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I assume you are joking, but anyways it is because we have committed to host the most important sports event in the world, that's why

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

I assume you are joking, but anyways it is because we have committed to host the most important sports event in the world, that's why

Is EVO 2016 going to be in Rio and Keoma or Chuchu are going to win all the categories? If not, good bye.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

This year's March for Goku in Curitiba.

Also Eduardo Cunha is getting his trial in the supreme court next week, but who cares about that when you gots you some DBZ

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cunha the house leader is going to be tried and one of the dudes arrested in the Petrobrás scandal just directly accused President Dilma of using her power to hamper the Lava Jato investigations. Guess we are getting in what the Chinese call "interesting times".

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Can anyone recommend any books (English or Spanish) about how central America (specifically El Salvador, Honduras, qmd Guatemala) has gotten to be such a poo poo show? Gangs, drugs, history, politics, foreign policy, etc.

I know this region has had its share of problems, but El Salvador and Honduras sound like they are disintegrating at the moment. Literally more violent and chaotic than during bloody civil wars.

Also interested in any good books on the narcos in Mexico et al.

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 4, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why the hell should we spend all that money to please a bunch of loving gringos in first place?

You shouldn't.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Lula was just taken from his house by PF (federal police) agents. poo poo is going down

The Lone Badger posted:

You shouldn't.

That's not the point at all. Brazil committed to host the Olympic Games, by a democratic elected government, with large support from the population, specially in Rio. So now we do have to provide decent and safe conditions for the games

Besides, the money was spent, even more then it was planned to. We just didn't managed to clean the drat waters out of sheer incompetence

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 4, 2016

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm not sure that part was incompetence more than the money was misappropriated and nothing at all was done.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Welp, poo poo's hitting the fan (unilaterally, but it is Brazil we're talking about). Interestingly enough, this "moment of political unstability" somehow made the market happy this time, Petrobrás shares went up and so did the Real in relation to the dollar.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Holy poo poo, I heard GDP was down 3.8%YoY in Brazil. I knew things were rough, but not that rough.

About one election ago all Mexican politicians were tripping over themselves as to who would be able to better implement the Brazilian-style economic progress model. You don't hear that a whole lot these days. This makes me both sad and worried.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

Besides, the money was spent, even more then it was planned to. We just didn't managed to clean the drat waters out of sheer incompetence

Adding to what other people said, it's a lot more likely that:

- the money was just misappropriated
- it wasn't even possible in the first place and they downplayed the pollution as much as they could to trick the olympic committee into accepting rio as the host.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

nerdz posted:

Adding to what other people said, it's a lot more likely that:

- the money was just misappropriated
- it wasn't even possible in the first place and they downplayed the pollution as much as they could to trick the olympic committee into accepting rio as the host.

We can call that incompetence too, I think

And worst rivers/bays/lakes were cleaned before, in other places. We just cant get anything done (see also: Tietê river)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Ugh, Berta Cáceres, an indigenous rights/environmental activist in Honduras, was "mysteriously" murdered last night in her home. It was clearly an assassination, and now poo poo's hitting the fan in Tegucigalpa:

quote:

Rock-throwing students clashed with riot police firing tear gas in the University of Honduras on Thursday night amid anger over the authorities’ failure to protect a high-profile campaigner who had repeatedly received threats on her life.

International NGOs called for foreign investors and engineering companies to withdraw from the Agua Zarca hydropower project that Cáceres had been opposing at the time of her death.

The US government also came under fire for supporting a government that came to power in a coup and has since pushed forward with the controversial cascade of dams and failed to prevent Honduras from becoming the most murderous country in the world for environmental campaigners.

Boy, aren't we glad we supported that coup there not too long ago?:smith:

What makes this particularly concerning for me is that I work for a vision care charity that does work in Honduras, among a lot of other places. We currently have a team of ophthalmologists down there performing free cataract removal surgeries, and another team going in a week and a half. They're on the other side of the country from where the violence is happening, but still, I'm keeping a close eye on the situation in case we need to get them the gently caress out of there.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Reminder that the mastermind of that coup is the favorite to become the next US president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
quick story about the guanabara bay cleaning effort.

early 2000's, the governor was Garotinho, a state of the art water treatment plant was innaugurated. it was supposedly the largest of latin america, and was financed by a japanese bank (JBIC, if i recall correctly). i was there, great food, the band sucked.

8 years later, different governor, the plant was innaugurated again. the first time around there was no sewer to be treated, because there was no sewer collection network in the area that the plant was supposed to serve, the plant was treating river water. the food was great, the band still sucked.