Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:suspense:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Huh, I thought the whole Drumpf thing was considered funny for a few reasons:

1) It's what many could consider an 'immigrant name' compared to the anglicized Trump, and we all know his feelings on immigrants

2) His entire success comes from the well-being that is associated with the Trump brand, of which the name is a core and integral element. Oliver, in an attempt to remove some of the brand power the name holds, is essentially attempting to somewhat co-opt and re-define the name of Trump.

I am kinda on board with that last part, Trump's brand should be stripped down and absolutely destroyed until it is nothing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

StrangersInTheNight posted:

1) It's what many could consider an 'immigrant name' compared to the anglicized Trump, and we all know his feelings on immigrants

2) His entire success comes from the well-being that is associated with the Trump brand, of which the name is a core and integral element. Oliver, in an attempt to remove some of the brand power the name holds, is essentially attempting to somewhat co-opt and re-define the name of Trump.

I am kinda on board with that last part, Trump's brand should be stripped down and absolutely destroyed until it is nothing.

It is funny, and Trump basically asked for it. Buddy is just being quite concerned in this thread.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I WONT VOTE FOR TRUMp for several reasons but mainly he's a closet DEMOCRAT!!!!!

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Edit:oop, beaten

Did no one actually watch the John Oliver bit? Trump's tweet about Jon Stewart led into it, but the actual point of calling him Drumpf is that Trump has worked his entire life to turn his name into a brand synonymous with success and money. No matter how many of his businesses fail and no matter how badly in the hole he's been in his life, people immediately think "rich businessman" when they hear his name. It's why NBC gave him a show, and it's why everyone who supports him says "he knows how to run a business and that's what we need."

Separating the man from the brand association his name conjures is supposed to make people actually think about the poo poo he's saying rather than falling back on their unconscious ideas of what the name "Trump" means. The man has been on every side of every issue in this campaign, because he knows people will associate that one time he agreed with them with his brand and forget that other time when he said literally the opposite.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Yeah; Trump is Ronald McDonald, Drumpf is the schlub who puts on the clown makeup everyday to shill garbage

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
If you're offended by the Drumpf thing, please explain to me what pleasure you get out of the SA forums, where worse things are happening literally every moment

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Soviet Commubot posted:

This was posted unironically.

The Military.

Dog Bounty Hunter.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

mng posted:

LEAVE TRUMPY ALONE!

CommonShore posted:

It is funny, and Trump basically asked for it. Buddy is just being quite concerned in this thread.

:stare: If what you guys got out of my statement is a sense that I support Trump for President, I'm really not sure what to tell you.

china bot posted:

If you're offended by the Drumpf thing, please explain to me what pleasure you get out of the SA forums, where worse things are happening literally every moment

I figured pointing out that calling him Drumpf is juvenile and silly was more reasonable than quoting the post and saying "Hey look at this idiot on social media", but I'm certainly not offended. Like I said, it's the left-leaning version of barack HUSSEIN obama; it's idiotic when people do it to our current president, it doesn't become less idiotic when people do it to a current candidate.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Coca Koala posted:

:stare: If what you guys got out of my statement is a sense that I support Trump for President, I'm really not sure what to tell you.

I figured pointing out that calling him Drumpf is juvenile and silly was more reasonable than quoting the post and saying "Hey look at this idiot on social media", but I'm certainly not offended. Like I said, it's the left-leaning version of barack HUSSEIN obama; it's idiotic when people do it to our current president, it doesn't become less idiotic when people do it to a current candidate.

The Obama thing is racist as well, which does cast the whole thing in a bit of a different light.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Yeah I don't know if you noticed, but "reasoned and nuanced" doesn't work on this guy, at all, ever. He can dodge and weave around all of the established methods of discredit.

Painting him as a huckster schlub, denying him the overvalued Trump brand, and beating him at his own game is possibly the only way to put a dent in his movement and energize those who are voting against him

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I've learned that through dealing with "well, actually" libertarians, that there's nothing to be gained in trying to legitimately engage them, you just mock them until they leave.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Coca Koala posted:

The presidential election is not a playground argument

I'm sorry, have you seen the GOP primary debates?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Coca Koala posted:

Let me rephrase: everything that happens here is idiotic, so what makes THIS the idiotic thing that you needed to stand up to?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

china bot posted:

Let me rephrase: everything that happens here is idiotic, so what makes THIS the idiotic thing that you needed to stand up to?

There is a reason why you are always miserable at your job. There is an obvious reason why you feel wretched at work. And that explanation is labor unions. Look here, things are pitiful in the office not as the result of a tyrannical boss, but because unions enforce a type of totalitarianism at the workplace.

Unions do not ensure that employees are treated right, but guarantee that workers will behave right. Labor unions do not create fair rules, but more rules. Workplace organizing does not promise safety, but sameness. Unions assure obedient workers. Collective bargaining does not contribute to higher wages, but compels an individual be part of a collective in order to receive wages. The reason why employment is so unpleasant is because of labor unions.

Unions enforce conformity. Organized workers are servile workers. Labor unions do not end up with well-paid workers, but well-behaved laborers. The only result of collective action is submissive activity. Unions are not just an enticement for incompetence but also an enforcer of compliance.

There is a reason why established politicians always secure the support of labor unions. An obedient worker becomes an obedient citizen. A docile laborer who does what he is told on the job does what he is told by the media when he is back home. Unions turn wage slaves into deferential citizens who accept their servitude.

Union membership cards are the contemporary equivalent of shackles on the limbs of a slave.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

china bot posted:

People have far, far different ideas on what hill is appropriate to die on.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lottery of Babylon posted:

There is a reason why you are always miserable at your job. ...

:downswords:

Union membership cards are the contemporary equivalent of shackles on the limbs of a slave.

magnificent.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

There is a reason why you are always miserable at your job.

I'm arguing with a goon while at work, so you fuckin' nailed this one LoB

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm sorry, have you seen the GOP primary debates?

In my more hopeful moments, I like to imagine that this election cycle is just an example of how the GOP is eating itself and working out the last of its death throes, and it has little bearing on how the leadership of the country as a whole will progress :sigh:

china bot posted:

Because if we limit our creativity to calling him Drumpf, I feel like we're failing to capitalize on a vast and fertile field of hitler and mussolini jokes that are just waiting to be discovered and made.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Can we make fun of Trump's comically small hands? It's hilarious how insecure he is about it.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Leon Einstein posted:

Can we make fun of Trump's comically small hands? It's hilarious how insecure he is about it.

I hereby give my blessing for all who want to casually observe that hey, have you ever looked at Donald's hands? Because maybe it's the camera or something, but they just look, you know, they look a little small? Like he looks like a normal sized guy, but his hands just look kinda small. I dunno what it is, maybe his fingers are shorter than average? Like he's got the opposite of Marfan's Syndrome, or something.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
You can pretty much imagine the Facebook comments surrounding this image

Coca Koala posted:

Because if we limit our creativity to calling him Drumpf, I feel like we're failing to capitalize on a vast and fertile field of hitler and mussolini jokes that are just waiting to be discovered and made.

mein drumpf

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Practical Demon posted:

Edit:oop, beaten

Did no one actually watch the John Oliver bit? Trump's tweet about Jon Stewart led into it, but the actual point of calling him Drumpf is that Trump has worked his entire life to turn his name into a brand synonymous with success and money. No matter how many of his businesses fail and no matter how badly in the hole he's been in his life, people immediately think "rich businessman" when they hear his name. It's why NBC gave him a show, and it's why everyone who supports him says "he knows how to run a business and that's what we need."

Separating the man from the brand association his name conjures is supposed to make people actually think about the poo poo he's saying rather than falling back on their unconscious ideas of what the name "Trump" means. The man has been on every side of every issue in this campaign, because he knows people will associate that one time he agreed with them with his brand and forget that other time when he said literally the opposite.

How is this gonna work, in practice? Who will be swayed by people who already dislike Trump deciding to call him by a silly name? Will Trump change his name if enough people pressure him to? Will Fox News start reporting on him as Donald Drumpf? Will internet racists ignore tweets about Trump bankrupting businesses and running off with the money, but pay rapt attention to ones saying the same thing about Drumpf?

It's fine to just have a goof at his expense (though his small hands and penis are a funnier goof), but treating it like some kind of legitimate criticism of the man just devalues all the actual legitimate criticism there are.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The other funny thing about the Drumpf thing is that the recent GOP estab. attacks are all things from John Oliver's bit. Incompetent and lazy.

The DnD thread has a article about how the entire righwing machine has done no research on Trump at all. While there's a few Dem orgs that have been silently digging things up.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I pretend I like Trump to fit in with the old guys at my job. ama

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Kajeesus posted:

It's fine to just have a drumpf at his expense, but treating it like some kind of legitimate criticism of the man just devalues all the actual legitimate criticism there are.

:agreed:, anyone who thinks calling him that is going to change anything is loving delusional. still fun to say, though

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

donald's got a big dick, which is important to me, a non-american

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Decrepus posted:

whats it like to work with pcos bill

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I don't think Bill is that old.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

During this time the hacker was also thoughtful enough to post anodyne status updates on this guy's wall and to update his profile pic a couple of times. :rolleyes::fh:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
I think a lot of the IoSM is in the thread and people are forgetting one important fact about Drumpf. Comedians use jokes to make people laugh, often at another persons expense.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Skaw posted:

I think a lot of the IoSM is in the thread and people are forgetting one important fact about Drumpf. Comedians use jokes to make people laugh, often at another persons expense.

Bullshit. Everyone is serious 100% of the time. Humor and irony don't actually exist.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Kajeesus posted:

How is this gonna work, in practice? Who will be swayed by people who already dislike Trump deciding to call him by a silly name? Will Trump change his name if enough people pressure him to? Will Fox News start reporting on him as Donald Drumpf? Will internet racists ignore tweets about Trump bankrupting businesses and running off with the money, but pay rapt attention to ones saying the same thing about Drumpf?

It's fine to just have a goof at his expense (though his small hands and penis are a funnier goof), but treating it like some kind of legitimate criticism of the man just devalues all the actual legitimate criticism there are.

A lot of people look at politics even more casually than you'd think possible, and put no actual effort into researching candidates. The first soundbite they hear they like, that's who they're all in for. A lot of people's first reaction to Trump's name is like I said, 'successful businessman'. That appeals to people with no understanding of how government and economics actually work, and they think he's what America needs. I've had conversations with full grown adults I otherwise respect who couldn't really say anything beyond 'we need a guy who can run a company'.

The Oliver bit going viral might finally put the information of his business failures in front of just a few of those people that have been successfully avoiding otherwise. No one is going to think his name is actually Drumpf, though a lot of people on Fox News actually hate him, so it's possible they'd use it. But it can't exactly hurt, so I don't see the need to dissect its value.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Picnic Princess posted:

Bullshit. Everyone is serious 100% of the time. Humor and irony don't actually exist.

well, not in pyf they don't

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Practical Demon posted:

A lot of people look at politics even more casually than you'd think possible, and put no actual effort into researching candidates. The first soundbite they hear they like, that's who they're all in for. A lot of people's first reaction to Trump's name is like I said, 'successful businessman'. That appeals to people with no understanding of how government and economics actually work, and they think he's what America needs. I've had conversations with full grown adults I otherwise respect who couldn't really say anything beyond 'we need a guy who can run a company'.

The best part is Trump historically cannot run companies for poo poo. But because of the cult of fictional immense wealth his name is associated with, he actually pulls pretty good bank off licensing fees. If they want Donald Trump the Businessman as POTUS, then congratulations Kiribati on acquiring your new name "The United States of America," because that's all he's good at doing.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Coca Koala posted:

In my more hopeful moments, I like to imagine that this election cycle is just an example of how the GOP is eating itself and working out the last of its death throes, and it has little bearing on how the leadership of the country as a whole will progress :sigh:

EMPATHY IS AN EVIL THING TO FEEL

Kajeesus posted:

I don’t want to understand you. I am simply not interested.

PhazonLink posted:

The other funny thing about the Drumpf thing is that the recent GOP estab. attacks are all things from John Oliver's bit. Incompetent and lazy.

The DnD thread has a article about how the entire righwing machine has done no research on Trump at all. While there's a few Dem orgs that have been silently digging things up.

I really don’t care about your anguish. I don’t give a poo poo about your agony. Suffering is one of those unseemly acts that should be done in private. Sorrow is something that you need to keep to yourself.

Decrepus posted:

Empathy involves a perception of someone else’s emotions – but there are always, always, always ulterior motives in trying to perceive another person’s most personal experiences. Trying to uncover the misfortunes and misery of others is an immoral thing. Busybodies and serial killers are always insufferably empathic.

china bot posted:

:agreed:, anyone who thinks calling him that is going to change anything is loving delusional. still fun to say, though

Empathy is an invasion of emotional privacy. Only a true voyeur wants to know what someone else is feeling. Somebody else’s torment is actually none of your business. Another person’s hurt ought to be kept private.

Skaw posted:

Empathy is a means of controlling you. There is a reason why successful politicians can always manage to “feel your pain” – these bureaucrats use that knowledge of your weakness in order to control you. If you allow someone else to know your deepest fear, then that outsider has an advantage over you.

Picnic Princess posted:

Empathy contaminates your own worldview. You need to perfect and purify your own unique take on the world. Somebody else’s perspective is just a form of mental pollution. Empathy is just a form of emotional toxic waste.

Practical Demon posted:

The Oliver bit going viral might finally put the information of his business failures in front of just a few of those people that have been successfully avoiding otherwise. No one is going to think his name is actually Drumpf, though a lot of people on Fox News actually hate him, so it's possible they'd use it. But it can't exactly hurt, so I don't see the need to dissect its value.

If you walk a mile in someone else’s shoes, the only thing you’re going to get is a foot infection. The only way to see with someone else’s eyes is to purchase body parts on the black market. The only person who wants to get into someone else’s skin is a psychopath.

Skaw posted:

The best part is Trump historically cannot run companies for poo poo. But because of the cult of fictional immense wealth his name is associated with, he actually pulls pretty good bank off licensing fees. If they want Donald Trump the Businessman as POTUS, then congratulations Kiribati on acquiring your new name "The United States of America," because that's all he's good at doing.

Only a torturer is concerned about what you are feeling. Only an interrogator has any regard for your pain. A normal human being does not bother about what some other person might be experiencing. Only a sociopath wants to know all about your suffering.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have never wanted to know who LOB was quoting more.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If you walk a mile in someone else’s shoes, the only thing you’re going to get is a foot infection. The only way to see with someone else’s eyes is to purchase body parts on the black market. The only person who wants to get into someone else’s skin is a psychopath.

Only a torturer is concerned about what you are feeling. Only an interrogator has any regard for your pain. A normal human being does not bother about what some other person might be experiencing. Only a sociopath wants to know all about your suffering.

:captainpop:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Whole lotta criminally boring people in here all the sudden.

I absolutely want to know who LoB is quoting though because HOLY poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Google turned up this http://mister-mean-spirited.blogspot.com/

http://mister-mean-spirited.blogspot.com/2015/10/empathy-is-evil-thing-to-feel.html