Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

For real though, ignoring the fact that there is new research related to evolution and natural selection all the drat time, this is the same guy who when science revises itself (as it should) would say something like "lol looks like scientists can't make up their mind, only the Word of GOD is truly settled." And now he's upset about a perceived lack of change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Warcabbit posted:

Note that every 'classified' mail so far contains information that was either labeled classified later on, chronologically, or was, say, labeled classified by the state department but was known by the public - as in, if you email an article from the NY Times that contains a description of the White House layout, and State has decided the White House layout is classified information, you are emailing information that is classified.

I am unsure how illegal that is, given that you are not actually emailing anything marked classified.

Doesn't matter if it's marked classified or not, just whether it is.

They make everyone with a security clearance take an annual refresh course, and one of the things it goes over is that just because information isn't marked classified doesn't mean that it isn't classified. They're also quite clear that merely because something is common knowledge doesn't make it unclassified. If it's classified, it remains classified until explicitly unclassified.

And there's no such thing as "retroactively classifying" something, as that doesn't make sense. When the State Department generates information, it's supposed to determine if it's classified at that point in time. Later determining that information should have been classified but wasn't is a big no-no. I mean, you can't retroactively go back and remove information from the public.

There's a reason the FBI investigation is ongoing and there's a reason they're starting to offer immunity deals to staffers. Something is coming of it, and even if Hillary escapes an indictment (which seems likely) she's still going to have to explain why her staff is under indictment by the FBI.

Fulchrum posted:

The fact you need it explained to you shows its not a campaign killer. Try to give the average American the specifics and their eyes glaze over.

Watergate is simple - they tampered with the election. Boom, done. Easy to understand. Clinton's scandal - he lied about getting a blowjob. People don't know why it's illegal, but they at least get it. Here? There's a reason why no political cartoonist can actually illustrate it and needs to just keep saying 'emails'.

I dunno, I think the likely "October surprise" of "why are some of your former State Department staff going to jail" is a pretty easy thing to understand. Everything is still weird and abstract right now because the investigation is ongoing and the FBI doesn't release details of ongoing investigations. Once the investigation is over, things are going to become clearer.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

I just found some sort of Rosetta Stone

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Menacing hips? :confused:

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

prefect posted:

Menacing hips? :confused:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

ThePeavstenator posted:

What is the criticism here? "Natural Selection is an old idea"? Time to do away with all of physics.

alnilam posted:

For real though, ignoring the fact that there is new research related to evolution and natural selection all the drat time, this is the same guy who when science revises itself (as it should) would say something like "lol looks like scientists can't make up their mind, only the Word of GOD is truly settled." And now he's upset about a perceived lack of change?

Hello, I'm Dr Christmas, and I'm a recovering creationist.

The point here is that natural selection doesn't create new "genetic information." It can only be applied to existing information. They actually believe in natural selection, but think it decreases diversity. They'd say there's no mechanism in natural selection to increase complexity or genetic information.

What about mutation? They'd say that even beneficial ones aren't the result of genetic information becoming more complex, it's just the result of losing existing information or "sideways" changes overwriting existing information. Random mating also still doesn't solve the problem of creating new information for them.

As for insertion mutations or gene duplications? I dunno, I think I've heard them say they're extra harmful, or that it still doesn't explain where genetic information of the original gene came from in the first place.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

colonel_korn posted:

1 img-slowly-growing-:qq:
Not Pictured: The other "Media" dog which is completely rabid and totally loses its mind around black people President Obama.

"I'm Dan Leitha and if something doesn't enter my field of vision it doesn't exist. I am literally a baby."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

They left off the other possible expression -- eyes closed, nose in the air to show arrogant uppityness. As favored by Payne and Branco.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Just realized that this cartoon is like if someone drew Mamie Eisenhower back in the day cruelly denying a toddler his cigarettes

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

How timely,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ecies-eyes.html

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Dr Christmas posted:

Hello, I'm Dr Christmas, and I'm a recovering creationist.

The point here is that natural selection doesn't create new "genetic information." It can only be applied to existing information. They actually believe in natural selection, but think it decreases diversity. They'd say there's no mechanism in natural selection to increase complexity or genetic information.

What about mutation? They'd say that even beneficial ones aren't the result of genetic information becoming more complex, it's just the result of losing existing information or "sideways" changes overwriting existing information. Random mating also still doesn't solve the problem of creating new information for them.

As for insertion mutations or gene duplications? I dunno, I think I've heard them say they're extra harmful, or that it still doesn't explain where genetic information of the original gene came from in the first place.

Isn't there at least one strain of creationism that argues that genetic mutation in humans is a symptom of Original Sin and that each generation is worse than the previous one?

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

the_steve posted:

It's almost like he's deliberately ignoring the part where this poo poo doesn't happen overnight.

If evolution doesn't happen overnight then how did it all happen in the ~6000 years earth has been around? Checkmate, scientists.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Pththya-lyi posted:

Isn't there at least one strain of creationism that argues that genetic mutation in humans is a symptom of Original Sin and that each generation is worse than the previous one?

yeah it's called Assassin's Creed

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Xenoveritas posted:

And there's no such thing as "retroactively classifying" something, as that doesn't make sense. When the State Department generates information, it's supposed to determine if it's classified at that point in time. Later determining that information should have been classified but wasn't is a big no-no. I mean, you can't retroactively go back and remove information from the public.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2015/sep/10/hillary-clintons-emails-classified-or-not/

According to politifact, you are incorrect.

quote:

Federal agencies have the ability to classify information after the fact. So some of the emails weren’t classified when Clinton sent or received them, but they are classified now.

quote:

Of the several thousand emails from Hillary Clinton’s private server that have been released to the public, more than 180 have been redacted, meaning they contain information deemed classified. But State Department officials decided only in the past few months that this information should be classified.

This sort of classification upgrade occasionally happens when new information comes into play that affects the sensitivity of the information. Because the information was classified after the emails were sent, no one mishandled this information at the time by sending it over Clinton’s private server.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/03/us/politics/as-presidential-campaign-unfolds-so-do-inquiries-into-hillary-clintons-emails.html
The NY Times is no fan of the Clintons, and agrees that none of the emails on Ms. Clinton's server were marked classified at the time.

I really don't want to be defending Ms. Clinton, but I do care about precision when discussing classification.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Warcabbit posted:

The NY Times is no fan of the Clintons

Maybe not in a vacuum, but compared to any of the Republican candidates?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

WHERE'S THE BEEF?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

People are misinterpreting the Lietha cartoon, which is understandable because Lietha specifically aims at people already hopped up on AiG/Creationist crap.

Lietha, and a lot of creationists in general, claim that you cannot add new information to a genome. The exact explanation of this is kinda fuzzy...you have weird graspings at thermodynamics and information theory. Some people, like Gunther, are just loving idiots:

It seems to be a general ignorance, or perhaps even people being willfully dense, of basic biology. DNA is (generally speaking here) use to create RNA (mRNA in this case) which goes on to be translated into proteins. The basic unit for translation is a codon, three nucleotides that code for an amino acid. Mutations happen when alterations in DNA lead to changes in the codons, although not always since multiple codons can correspond to the same result. I'm not entirely sure what creationists consider "new information", but codons duplicating, or even a single nucleotide being changed can lead to major changes. Obviously this takes time (in most cases) since odds are better that the mutation does nothing or is deleterious.

Creationists probably go with this canard because it lines up with their belief that existence is cursed and slowly decaying (see: humans living 900 years old millennia ago), but they also will pull up whatever science is handy at the time. The most difficult thing to nail down about it is, much like concepts such as brahamin, is the definition of "information" in this context, as it behooves creationists to keep things nice and vague since it gives them flexibility in debates and keeps things simple for their congregation.

EDIT: Dr. Christmaaaaaaaas :argh:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Rorus Raz posted:

People are misinterpreting the Lietha cartoon, which is understandable because Lietha specifically aims at people already hopped up on AiG/Creationist crap.

Lietha, and a lot of creationists in general, claim that you cannot add new information to a genome. The exact explanation of this is kinda fuzzy...you have weird graspings at thermodynamics and information theory. Some people, like Gunther, are just loving idiots:

It seems to be a general ignorance, or perhaps even people being willfully dense, of basic biology. DNA is (generally speaking here) use to create RNA (mRNA in this case) which goes on to be translated into proteins. The basic unit for translation is a codon, three nucleotides that code for an amino acid. Mutations happen when alterations in DNA lead to changes in the codons, although not always since multiple codons can correspond to the same result. I'm not entirely sure what creationists consider "new information", but codons duplicating, or even a single nucleotide being changed can lead to major changes. Obviously this takes time (in most cases) since odds are better that the mutation does nothing or is deleterious.

Creationists probably go with this canard because it lines up with their belief that existence is cursed and slowly decaying (see: humans living 900 years old millennia ago), but they also will pull up whatever science is handy at the time. The most difficult thing to nail down about it is, much like concepts such as brahamin, is the definition of "information" in this context, as it behooves creationists to keep things nice and vague since it gives them flexibility in debates and keeps things simple for their congregation.

EDIT: Dr. Christmaaaaaaaas :argh:

If you have 4 blocks there are actually 24 ways to stack them lol

E: Oh, they don't care about direction oh well

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
It also betrays complete ignorance of what a code even is, and how information can be translated and compressed.

And haha even in that blocks image it presumes that 1234 has the same informational content as 4321. Nice. Noice.

ThePeavstenator posted:

If you have 4 blocks there are actually 24 ways to stack them lol

Really you have four kinds of block, so there are 256 different stacks lmao

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 4, 2016

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Not exactly. What Politifact neglects to explain is that if something is "retroactively classified" then it's to have been treated as if had always been classified - including making sending it via an unsecured email server illegal. Something can't start as being unclassified and then become classified. Either it was always classified, even if that determination was made later, or it wasn't.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like how the stack in the last panel is actually different from any of the 12 possible stacks. That has to be a wilful density.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Obama is a butt and he smells and I hate him.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
We seem to having some difficulties in language use, then. If what you said is correct, the following can happen:

On Jan 1, State Department Employee Jack Ryan sends an email. It contains the phrase 'Call you on my Blackberry.' He is using an unsecured system. At this moment, none of the contents in the email are classified. This e-mail is, on Jan 1st, unclassified.

On Jan 2nd, State Department Classifier Joe Snafu decides that the make of phone the State Department uses is classified. The email that Jack sent yesterday now contains classified information.

According to your statement, Jack can now be sent to prison for the email he sent on Jan 1st, as the information is classified.

I would consider this retroactive classification of information.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Morse code doesn't exist, because the transmitter key can only ever be in the "on" or "off" position, leading to a maximum of two possible outputs at the receiver.

D.N. Nation posted:

Obama is a butt and he smells and I hate him.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Baby Men And Their Pee-Stained Poop Diapers are easily my favorite reoccurring theme in pol tooning

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

It also betrays complete ignorance of what a code even is, and how information can be translated and compressed.

And haha even in that blocks image it presumes that 1234 has the same informational content as 4321. Nice. Noice.

Yeah but what happens when the block on the end goes over a cliff Mr. Smartmouth?

This... isn't parody?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Warcabbit posted:

We seem to having some difficulties in language use, then. If what you said is correct, the following can happen:

On Jan 1, State Department Employee Jack Ryan sends an email. It contains the phrase 'Call you on my Blackberry.' He is using an unsecured system. At this moment, none of the contents in the email are classified. This e-mail is, on Jan 1st, unclassified.

On Jan 2nd, State Department Classifier Joe Snafu decides that the make of phone the State Department uses is classified. The email that Jack sent yesterday now contains classified information.

According to your statement, Jack can now be sent to prison for the email he sent on Jan 1st, as the information is classified.

I would consider this retroactive classification of information.

Yes, that scenario can happen. But the legal concept is that Jack Ryan should have known that the information was classified at the time it was sent, and the later explicit classification was only making explicit what should have been known.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

That's if you can reuse the blocks in any combo rather than make a pattern of 4 unique blocks.

It's actually worse now that I think about it because the rules they made imply they don't understand that genetic code is a sequence not a blob of information.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Xenoveritas posted:

Yes, that scenario can happen. But the legal concept is that Jack Ryan should have known that the information was classified at the time it was sent, and the later explicit classification was only making explicit what should have been known.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.

I'm pretty sure the way it works is that topics/information are classified, and just because a particular document or other piece of media isn't marked as classified, you should still know to treat it as such due to the subject material. Not that you're supposed to have prescience about someone else eventually making a classification designation on a topic an indeterminate amount of time in the future (years, in this case).

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Xenoveritas posted:

if he were a true patriot he would have used his psychic national security sense to peer into the future

or i guess the default that true patriots should use (and apparently are using) is classifying literally everything they do

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please

Ugh Lester is so vile

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

I don't really follow Batman all that much, but "prissy" and "dapper" are not adjectives I would associate with the Joker, nor anyone else wearing a purple coat and green tie..

And what's with the lime green shoes and black socks? Seems oddly specific. Is that what pajama boy was wearing or something?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ANY DAY NOW

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Schpyder posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.

I'm pretty sure the way it works is that topics/information are classified, and just because a particular document or other piece of media isn't marked as classified, you should still know to treat it as such due to the subject material. Not that you're supposed to have prescience about someone else eventually making a classification designation on a topic an indeterminate amount of time in the future (years, in this case).

It may not make sense (and you can find really long articles explaining how and why it doesn't) but that is the way it works. Basically (as a contractor) the default answer is "treat everything as classified until told otherwise." Things get weirder for the State Department because they're an original classification authority, but the same basic rules apply.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

if he were a true patriot he would have used his psychic national security sense to peer into the future

or i guess the default that true patriots should use (and apparently are using) is classifying literally everything they do

If you were ever wondering why everything gets classified, that's basically the reason - it's easier to classify everything than worry about having something need to be classified at a later date. So instead of dealing with the potential ramifications of processing something that later becomes classified, everything just gets marked classified from the start.

I'm not saying the system makes sense, I'm just saying that's the way it is.

And, yes, there are legal ramifications for screwing it up.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Xenoveritas posted:

It may not make sense (and you can find really long articles explaining how and why it doesn't) but that is the way it works. Basically (as a contractor) the default answer is "treat everything as classified until told otherwise." Things get weirder for the State Department because they're an original classification authority, but the same basic rules apply.

If you were ever wondering why everything gets classified, that's basically the reason - it's easier to classify everything than worry about having something need to be classified at a later date. So instead of dealing with the potential ramifications of processing something that later becomes classified, everything just gets marked classified from the start.

I'm not saying the system makes sense, I'm just saying that's the way it is.

And, yes, there are legal ramifications for screwing it up.

So what you're saying is, catch 22 is real?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

alnilam posted:

So what you're saying is, catch 22 is real?

Nah, not really - you can just mark everything as Top Secret and leave it at that.

There are huge penalties for mishandling classified information, but no penalties for over-classifying stuff.

It's a real problem, but it's not a catch-22. It just makes for a rather opaque government.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Rorus Raz posted:

Some people, like Gunther, are just loving idiots:

24 different ways

ThePeavstenator posted:

E: Oh, they don't care about direction oh well

actually he got that wrong, too. because at least B-Y-R-G and B-Y-G-R have their flipped version included (G-R-Y-B and R-G-Y-B)

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

:cripes:

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 5, 2016

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
I should have said "a less heinous and misleading analogy would be having access to four different kinds of block" but ok.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Xenoveritas posted:

Nah, not really - you can just mark everything as Top Secret and leave it at that.

There are huge penalties for mishandling classified information, but no penalties for over-classifying stuff.

It's a real problem, but it's not a catch-22. It just makes for a rather opaque government.

I more meant catch 22 the book, not the catch. Like, the book is partly about the military's inner workings being :psyduck: as he.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

• Locked thread