Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I would pay good money for an Odd Couple webseries remake starring King REoL and Gorgeous George.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i dont even know why he bothered reviewing elevators until he had a 4k camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqU0V2aNKqs

the 4k betrays u, steven wright:

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 5, 2016

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
are we still posting about motherfucking elevators>? if so check dis out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upgVoZKvP3M&t=9s

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Chinatown posted:

I've done this in the paternoster in Sheffield university arts tower. AMA.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Broken Machine posted:

Here's another radium debug sample that came up a while ago on YOSPOS:

You would have to be mean and probably fairly unstable to leave someone an application written like that

I'm starting to think that in making his code bizarre and incomprehensible to others, he wound up making it unreadable to even himself and hamstrung his ability to make any meaningful changes to it.

That and good old fashioned laziness.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Chinatown posted:

Idgi

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Broken Machine posted:

You would have to be mean and probably fairly unstable to leave someone an application written like that

I just can't get over this. Even ignoring the passive aggressive chatlogs, this is an astounding display of spite and disregard for an employer.

I can't think of any company I've worked at that wouldn't fire an engineer on the spot for doing something like this. It is deliberately being obtuse and unhelpful and literally just daring the boss to fire you.

This goes beyond job security by obscurity and is really just spitting in your employer's face.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

The Bible posted:

I can't think of any company wacky internet comedy web site I've worked at that wouldn't fire an engineer some guy who is friends with the guy who made the web site on the spot for doing something like this.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Broken Machine posted:

gently caress you, I don't have time to come up with EXACTLY the right wording for debug messages so that the next engineer is GUARANTEED to understand them, can't you see how much of a hurry I'm in?

code:
user = users->get(id);
if (!user) {
  raise "i" + "m gay";
}

thread = threads->get(thread_id);
if (!thread) {
  raise "your gay";
}

post = thread->get_post(post_id);
if (!post) {
  raise "dad gay";
}

new_reply = post->duplicate();
if (!new_reply) {
  raise "dad gay";
}

if (!server->send_response(new_reply)) {
  raise "dad gay 2";
}
Yep I think that'll do for now.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

zen death robot posted:

No I never did. I found a crashed server that had a bunch of important scripts on it, and a bunch more were running on a server named "db2" that had no databases running on it though!

I don't know anything about coding or computers but this sounds like the equivalent of having your plumbing dump water directly into the ground.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

zen death robot posted:

No I never did. I found a crashed server that had a bunch of important scripts on it, and a bunch more were running on a server named "db2" that had no databases running on it though!

lol ty

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Why are the most incompetent people the ones who work to guarantee their job security rather than just doing a more diligent/better job and prove themselves reliable so they don't risk being let go in the first pl

Oh I answered my own question

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

zen death robot posted:

Radium either set things up to make as little sense as possible in case someone was ever brought in to clean up his mess and ensure he was always needed, or he was loving insane and just couldn't help himself. Maybe a little bit of both?

He ripped out whole chunks of the forums code to make up for the fact that he hosed up the planning for how much stress the main DB server would need to handle so badly instead of just going "well that didn't work out, let's replace this and try again" after Lowtax assured him multiple times that he could buy whatever hardware he needed. That's why upgrading the base vBulletin became impossible after a while.

What I'm getting here is that it's a loving miracle that the forums have even been functioning for the past few years.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Color Printer posted:

What I'm getting here is that it's a loving miracle that the forums have even been functioning for the past few years.

mr magoo'd it's way to 2016 and beyond

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yo. radium is an isoDope yo,sup

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Have you made any in roads into like organizing the existing code better at least? Or is it still just kinda sitting where he left it?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

zen death robot posted:

Before anyone asks - hahahahaha no there is absolutely no documentation for any of this.

Ominous warnings about the user's homosexuality and stolen trees are enough documentation for him, apparently.

......assuming he knew what they meant. I mean, he spent precious time putting that poo poo in, I would hope he understood them.

I would hope

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

zen death robot posted:

Before anyone asks - hahahahaha no there is absolutely no documentation for any of this.

I'm glad you are here. :)

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

zen death robot posted:

Somewhat, there's no source code management system for some reason but I think there used to be one and it got tossed out. So making lots of changes with vi isn't something I like to do without having something to track what I changed because it causes some of the hilarious bullshit that pops up once in a while where a rogue edit gets through and I end up blasting the forums with some hosed up looking layout for a few seconds by mistake. I'm building the new dev environment out this weekend (and hopefully moving the store/images server as well) and that will have gitlab installed on it. Having a way to visually track changes to the massive php files that are in there will make editing them and organizing them a lot less stressful.

Is this dev env going to be a clone of the whole SA setup? Is that even possible? It must be like working in that giant warehouse at the end of Indiana Jones but all of the crates are full of scorpions or poopsocks.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

zen death robot posted:

Somewhat, there's no source code management system for some reason but I think there used to be one and it got tossed out. So making lots of changes with vi isn't something I like to do without having something to track what I changed because it causes some of the hilarious bullshit that pops up once in a while where a rogue edit gets through and I end up blasting the forums with some hosed up looking layout for a few seconds by mistake. I'm building the new dev environment out this weekend (and hopefully moving the store/images server as well) and that will have gitlab installed on it. Having a way to visually track changes to the massive php files that are in there will make editing them and organizing them a lot less stressful.

write two letters..

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

zen death robot posted:

jfc you're a saint

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

zen death robot posted:

Pretty much, there's some css files that are on a different server because I guess it was easier to have them served by something cached on cloudflare but I can still get those mapped into the dev environment in some fashion and have them pushed out properly when they're ready.

You're the best robot we've ever had.

I tried to do something like this once inside ESXi with vswitches and it almost ended me.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

zen death robot posted:

Somewhat, there's no source code management system for some reason but I think there used to be one and it got tossed out.
ho-lee cow

idk whether radium had any SCM in place (probably not) but this is in the changelog:
pre:
  -    2014-08-21 16:37:38 Switched from Mercurial to git (and rewrote the changelog utility as
                            well)
hopefully you can tell lowtax where you put the source code before you're carted off to the asylum

on the plus side, i guess, a system already at rock-bottom is hard not to improve, as long as you have discretion to do so.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 5, 2016

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

wow rude posted:

jfc you're a saint

Yeah, I'm going to every church in my city and lighting a candle for you. Good lord this poo poo is hosed hahaha.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there any reason that now the forums seem quite stable apart from the odd DoS attack, you cant chill a bit, get a dev enviroment up, and just build what the forums should be from the ground up?

I mean, for me, they are pretty great currently:

- Fast
- Pretty Stable
- Decent uptime
- Good features

but from what you and Lowtax have said the code is pretty much spaghetti, bad, and unmaintainable or easily extensible.

Ty for your work so far, I hope you got a nice house with the Linden Dollars.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
the first thread I ever made was a sexy John Stamos thread with multiple shirtless pics and it would've been a real hoot except I got autobanned by Radium and my thread gassed because I wasn't aware of the HOT tag rule and now I feel like he owes me :10bux:

:(

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Homestar Runner posted:

the first thread I ever made was a sexy John Stamos thread with multiple shirtless pics and it would've been a real hoot except I got autobanned by Radium and my thread gassed because I wasn't aware that of the HOT tag rule and now I feel like he owes me :10bux:

:(

um this sounds like it mightve been a mistake. if you make your case in the grievances thread youll more likely than not get a refund.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
zen death robot is a good man

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

dad gay. so what posted:

zen death robot is a good man

dad gay seems like the kind of guy that would compliment somebody

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

zen death robot posted:

Oh yeah the forums counters were broken for a while because I had to figure out the script to handle THAT was burried in a thing called Munin - which handles making graphs and I don't know how anyone was ever expected to know to look there for something that put numbers into pages on the forums themselves but hey

As in Munin, the tool you'd normally use to monitor the performance and availability of your servers, is/was somehow being used to maintain the posting gloryhole or the "5,181 registered users logged in." or something???

Well, you know, if he was aiming to hide code in unexpected places, I'd say he excelled at that.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
i don't understand 90 percent of this thread, and im glad of it

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
has lowtax unbanned keep it real yet? :synpa:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Haskell9 posted:

has lowtax unbanned keep it real yet? :synpa:
Debt first

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
just to add:

I wasn't expecting what I was suggesting to be done in a year, or even a few years....I guess my real question was:

Now things seem to be going ok, what are the next steps? Be it financial, tech, features, I don't know.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Why does Radium still get to ban folks for posting the banned thread tags? Is the code that buried for it?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

zen death robot posted:

Yes that Munin is used to cache the counters that show how many users are currently in a subforum. A whole different script runs through and cleans up old sessions in the DB.

If I were you I would be literally shaking while recalling something like that. The Zen thing must be more than just a name. Well, the forums seem to be working pretty good so :cheers:

spud posted:

Now things seem to be going ok, what are the next steps? Be it financial, tech, features, I don't know.

Also what is the ETA? :haw:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Why does Radium still get to ban folks for posting the banned thread tags? Is the code that buried for it?

From the other thread:

Lowtax posted:

it's just legacy poo poo. plus when idiots get autobanned, then they can get mad at radium

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

zen death robot posted:

Re-writing the core of the forums is something that'll have to be done at some point, but there's no way to give an ETA on that.

:colbert:

You're not fooling me a second time Radium

:colbert:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

zen death robot posted:

Re-writing the core of the forums is something that'll have to be done at some point, but there's no way to give an ETA on that.

Time to do some maintenance on the zen death robot. The subliminal programming in the codebase of horror may have started to have an effect. :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013

Broken Machine posted:

Holy gently caress I retract my previous.

• Locked thread