Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Wheat Loaf posted:

The guy I was sparring with in class yesterday was telling me he felt like I was afraid I was going to hurt him with the choke hold we were practising; I think that about sums it up at the minute. I'm not used to doing anything that's "violent" so I suppose it will just take a bit of getting used to. I need to become more confident, but that's a big part of the reason I'm going.

Regardless, I am proud to be giving it a go. When I was in my "physical wreck" phase last summer, before I started getting out to the gym regularly, I wouldn't have believed you for a second. Compared to that, even signing up to give it a try is a small achievement.

Learning how to apply exactly the amount of force/pressure you need rather than all or nothing is really important in many (if not most/all) martial arts. In cutting practice you can tell exactly when someone is trying to muscle through a tatami mat. More so than the technique itself, the mentality required to do that (fight with intent) and to control it is also important (probably more important) so it's good that you're recognizing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

That's a much better problem to have than the opposite: the white belt who wants to win so badly that he keeps accidentally hurting people. You'll slowly learn to crank it up to the right level, and you'll probably develop some really good habits in the long run as a result of your early caution.

edit: unsure if I used that colon correctly, feeling self conscious

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 26, 2016

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This is similar to my development. I think it's fine to be as you are, especially as you're so new. Focus now on surviving and keeping cool, defend yourself and follow the rules re keeping safe: elbows in, keep tight, try not to spaz etc. You'll develop a 'killer instinct' soon enough. As others have said, it's better to be here and learn to ramp it up than being Mr 100%. If nothing else, you'll be a better training partner (which obviously leads to better development).

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
As far as my training is going, we're in 'competition mode' now and we're sparing from the feet. Normally we begin on the knees (for safety, too many people on the mat etc). I am LOVING the focus on takedowns & sprawls. I'm not especially comfortable shooting yet but in every class I feel far better. It's so much fun.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. It's all about perseverance. I didn't go into it expecting to be good right off the bat; it wouldn't be worthwhile if it wasn't challenging. And as I say, it is good fun as well. :)

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Ultragonk posted:

Anyone experience a run of injuries?

I threw out my back while zipping up my pants in a public washroom on Saturday night.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I just pulled a muscle in my back, I did a bjj class in the morning and a judo class in the evening. My plan to become a beast by 30 isn't looking so good right now. It's a dull pain, should I just take the rest of the week off or can I roll and just take it easy?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Rabhadh posted:

I just pulled a muscle in my back, I did a bjj class in the morning and a judo class in the evening. My plan to become a beast by 30 isn't looking so good right now. It's a dull pain, should I just take the rest of the week off or can I roll and just take it easy?

Take the week off or it might take a way longer to heal. Like week vs months.

If you think you can keep your enthusiasm in check, maybe take part for the technique lessons? I'm too dumb to do that since once the lesson starts I get all exited and suddenly that pulled muscle is 20x worse because I forgot about it and made the injury worse. I'd just think "Oh it's just hurting a bit right now I'm sure it's OK" and then once my body has cooled I realize I'm a dumbshit. Are you a dumbshit too?

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Keg posted:

I threw out my back while zipping up my pants in a public washroom on Saturday night.

I strained a muscle in my shoulder while sleeping.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

n3rdal3rt posted:

I strained a muscle in my shoulder while sleeping.

:(:respek::(

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
It took a couple weeks, but judo is starting to click! The college club I go to has an equal emphasis on standing and ground techniques, and it's really fun and awesome. I got to do ne waza randori against a brown belt, and it was like a hurricane was whisking me off somewhere, or an industrial factory was packing me down for shipment. I don't think I ever really recognized how powerless I was to stop an experienced person from putting me into a position that could kill me. I've heard that some people get really defensive when they get totally wrecked by a high-ranking judoka, but I couldn't help but laugh because it was so awesome to feel him effortlessly moving from one hold to another no matter how I tried to get out.

This martial art is amazing.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Judowns.

I don't train enough, all the yellows who started with me are miles ahead of me in both technique and stamina, boo.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

General Emergency posted:

Are you a dumbshit too?

I am absolutely a dumbshit. A few months ago I went to a judo class with some knee pain, told everyone I wasn't doing randori - come the end of class I walk off the mat, see there's now an uneven number of people so I go in for one round, hosed up my knee even more.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i have a rule where im only allowed to be a bitch about one bodypart: my knees.

ive made my bjj goal to do atleast one practice every week until the day i die. im not trying to turn into some world champion, i just want to retain some function in all my body parts for as many years as possible. i feel so much better mentally from going just a few times a week, it is pretty much my main reason for going.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Slaapaav posted:

ive made my bjj goal to do atleast one practice every week until the day i die. im not trying to turn into some world champion, i just want to retain some function in all my body parts for as many years as possible. i feel so much better mentally from going just a few times a week, it is pretty much my main reason for going.

You should also add your spine to that bodypart list

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Siivola posted:

Judowns.

I don't train enough, all the yellows who started with me are miles ahead of me in both technique and stamina, boo.
I'm not, I haven't had time to attend practice for months. :(

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Slaapaav posted:

Knee injuries are scary and awful. I have some chronic tendonitis and I'm becoming more and more afraid of blowing out my knee on my plant leg for my throws. I can only throw uchimata and seoinage, so if I lose that knee I will have 50% less judo and it'll pretty much be the end of my competition days.

But hey, hasn't happened yet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Exactly one month into starting BJJ now - I try to make it three times a week (but it still doesn't feel like enough; I never have time to stay after class for the rolling), and I've realised how much I've cut out my regular gym attendance for it (I used to go to the gym four times a week, but with BJJ I can only make it twice, because my regular activities on two nights of the week can't be moved in my schedule). It's making me concerned that I'm too weak for the sport - yesterday, I was trying to roll a guy over and I just couldn't do it. I just couldn't muster the physical strength for it. Is there any way I can compensate for this?

(Still, yesterday wasn't the regular instructor, and he used a different approach to the class, while most of the guys there were at a much higher level than me - unusual for the fundamentals class - and I had a hard time keeping up with them when it came to sparring.)

I am hoping it will "click" soon. It's still good fun to do. Can anyone recommend any trick to remembering the sequences of moves for techniques, or is that something that I will develop naturally? I find that's something I'm struggling with - I forget small but important steps in techniques, and have a difficult time committing techniques to memory.

Thanks again.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Wheat Loaf posted:

Exactly one month into starting BJJ now - I try to make it three times a week (but it still doesn't feel like enough; I never have time to stay after class for the rolling), and I've realised how much I've cut out my regular gym attendance for it (I used to go to the gym four times a week, but with BJJ I can only make it twice, because my regular activities on two nights of the week can't be moved in my schedule). It's making me concerned that I'm too weak for the sport - yesterday, I was trying to roll a guy over and I just couldn't do it. I just couldn't muster the physical strength for it. Is there any way I can compensate for this?

(Still, yesterday wasn't the regular instructor, and he used a different approach to the class, while most of the guys there were at a much higher level than me - unusual for the fundamentals class - and I had a hard time keeping up with them when it came to sparring.)

I am hoping it will "click" soon. It's still good fun to do. Can anyone recommend any trick to remembering the sequences of moves for techniques, or is that something that I will develop naturally? I find that's something I'm struggling with - I forget small but important steps in techniques, and have a difficult time committing techniques to memory.

Thanks again.

You're a month in which means you're going to be goddamn terrible for about another year, so stop worrying so much. Just keep training.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Dude, you're exercising five times a week. If that wasn't enough to do BJJ nobody would have time to actually do BJJ as a hobby.

The direction you're trying to move a guy in is way more important than how much strength you use. Getting that feel for which way to go (kinda that killer instinct you mentioned earlier) is just something that comes with practice.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's making me concerned that I'm too weak for the sport - yesterday, I was trying to roll a guy over and I just couldn't do it. I just couldn't muster the physical strength for it. Is there any way I can compensate for this?

The movement should feel effortless. It should be the physical equivalent of bench pressing a bar with no weight on it. If you're "not strong enough" to perform a motion, you've missed some technical details and you're trying to compensate for your mistakes with strength.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

http://fightstate.com/watch-what-happens-when-a-150lb-bjj-blackbelt-fights-a-250lb-bodybuilder/2/

So this is a pretty neat video that shows a 150 lb. BJJ guy take down some 250 lb. bodybuilder. Aside from the grappling stuff, the BJJ guy also uses strategic kicks and punches while fighting this dude. Is that sort of thing normally taught in BJJ? I thought it was entirely grappling based, with no strikes?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mr Interweb posted:

http://fightstate.com/watch-what-happens-when-a-150lb-bjj-blackbelt-fights-a-250lb-bodybuilder/2/

So this is a pretty neat video that shows a 150 lb. BJJ guy take down some 250 lb. bodybuilder. Aside from the grappling stuff, the BJJ guy also uses strategic kicks and punches while fighting this dude. Is that sort of thing normally taught in BJJ? I thought it was entirely grappling based, with no strikes?

No, striking isn't generally a part of BJJ instruction and Pedro Sauer's striking in that video is complete garbage despite what the narrator would have you believe. The whole thing is kind of embarrassing.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The striking is less bad than the design of that website

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

No, striking isn't generally a part of BJJ instruction and Pedro Sauer's striking in that video is complete garbage despite what the narrator would have you believe. The whole thing is kind of embarrassing.

Well unless you count Helio's self defense curriculum which has such gems as,

"Surprise Judo Chop from hair combing"

"The Defensive Side Kick"

"The Surprise Side Kick"

"The Straight Punch"

Which are so bad that even though we spend five/ten minutes on the self defense stuff per class I have never seen them done in class.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Gracie Barra includes basic striking in the curriculum. Nobody is ever going to be a good striker taking just BJJ, but the form on the kicks and punches won't be completely embarassing.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
GB include striking defense, takedowns and such from hay makers (in my experience). Haven't encountered any actual striking techniques though.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Striking is part of Kano's original Judo curriculum, but since its not part of competition no one practices it at Judo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You're a month in which means you're going to be goddamn terrible for about another year, so stop worrying so much. Just keep training.

Siivola posted:

Dude, you're exercising five times a week. If that wasn't enough to do BJJ nobody would have time to actually do BJJ as a hobby.

The direction you're trying to move a guy in is way more important than how much strength you use. Getting that feel for which way to go (kinda that killer instinct you mentioned earlier) is just something that comes with practice.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The movement should feel effortless. It should be the physical equivalent of bench pressing a bar with no weight on it. If you're "not strong enough" to perform a motion, you've missed some technical details and you're trying to compensate for your mistakes with strength.

Okay. Thanks again, everyone. I realise I'm only a beginner, but I'm easily impressed, and sometimes I still try to run before I can walk. It's not really ego or anything so much as perfectionism.

I imagine there is no particular "trick" to remembering combinations of moves for techniques; it's all going to be good old-fashioned practice practice practice. I suspect getting into rolling when I feel a bit more confident will do me good on that front.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh, you absolutely can develop tricks to remember moves better. One way of doing it is to break the technique down, give each part a name of your own and then memorize those. The more kung fooey the better, since people tend to remember ridiculous things easier. And you hopefully don't end up confusing your own terms with real BJJ jargon.

So my favourite way to attack a turtling guy could go Dog Pulls the Tablecloth > Snake in the Treetops > Big Wheel Turns and with that I remember that a) I need to pull him onto his face, b) sneak my other arm in between his arms and into the nearest armpit and c) connect my hands and turn as if I was steering a truck. If all goes well, I end up in side control. (Although I have a recurring problem with getting my leg tangled, so I might have to add an extra step for the footwork...)

Edit: Oh yeah and making stuff rhyme is another great way to ease memorizing. Or if you think in images, try drawing the whole thing.

Now, mostly this sort of stuff is only going to help you drill, since it's hard to access memory when rolling, but whatever. It makes drilling easier because you don't have to go "uhh where do I go from here" quite so often, and you've already broken it to convenient bits you can work on separately.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 5, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

hi liter posted:

Striking is part of Kano's original Judo curriculum, but since its not part of competition no one practices it at Judo.

Eeeeenh sorta, but only in that "technically," "technically" kind of way. There are like 6 strikes in the entire Kodokan Judo book, as part of the kata for godan or one of those higher ranks that basically nobody under 50 has, and it's one page in a ~250 page book. There's no discussion of good striking technique. I don't have my copy of Kodkan Judo handy, so I can't give any more details, but I remember that the last time someone mentioned "Judo Strikes" to me that I looked it up pretty and much rolled my eyes.

e. several hours after the fact. There are a number of other tournament-illegal techniques that we do in practice, such as morote gari, which will get you an instant dq under current competition rules.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 5, 2016

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Judo rules at the novice and elite level is such a loving disaster. Can't believe we didn't do double legs once in three years. Not even for like 'oh hey, double legs are like one of the most important moves in grappling and possibly the most important in wrestling. Don't use this in comp, but its great to know as part of the curriculum and for self defense.' It was just never touched on ever. I hate that sorta stuff.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Nierbo posted:

Judo rules at the novice and elite level is such a loving disaster. Can't believe we didn't do double legs once in three years. Not even for like 'oh hey, double legs are like one of the most important moves in grappling and possibly the most important in wrestling. Don't use this in comp, but its great to know as part of the curriculum and for self defense.' It was just never touched on ever. I hate that sorta stuff.

A lot of BJJ places are like that for leg locks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Every time I see a big overdog (deserved or not) lose convincingly, it really sends me back into the gym hard. It happened with Ronda Rousey, and now again with Conor McGregor. Not that I'm actively competing or even thinking of competing, just that the only way to protect yourself from declining or stagnating is to actively improve.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Every time I see a big overdog (deserved or not) lose convincingly, it really sends me back into the gym hard.
I think you mean "updog". :v:

Since this thread's been pretty quiet on striking stuff, last week the IOC ruled that male boxers won't have to wear the headgear any more, to hopefully cut down on the concussions. Female boxers are still stuck with them, since there haven't been enough studies on women's concussions to justify a change.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Had a weird thing happen in my first week back after a 5 month lay off. Hit a pendulum sweep about 5 times in rolling, something I'd always gone for and always screwed up before I stopped training by either not securing their arm with either a sleeve grip or an overhook, or I'd forget to put my heel on their hip or something. Maybe part of it was surprising people because I'm new at this gym and bought a new belt I haven't put stripes on. I know to go for that sweep whenever I lose the battle for top position rather than hip bump that every white and blue belt seems on alert for. I also tend to use the no gi technique of hooking the leg rather gripping the pants, I seem to get better leverage with it. I don't get why it took 5 months of doing nothing for it to click.

Rolled with a couple of guys who I guess have less experience overall but have been way more consistent in their training - hit a nice arm bar from guard, a mounted arm triangle and a triangle and went to butterfly guard against a really big dude and used it to stop him from just knifing through my guard, without thinking about it. Only got subbed once with a RNC by a blue belt when I was well and truly gassed. My cardio, oh god my cardio, I used to be so fit, I could do class warm ups while jawing off about fights over the weekend or talking about technique and not feel it, I was sucking wind after shrimping - one 1 minute round of rolling had my head spinning.

Just sucks that the class doesn't start till 7 meaning I don't get home till after 9:30, by the time I've stowed my poo poo, showered and made meal it's nearly 10:30 before I'm in bed. Long slog when you're up at 5am. Not sure if I'm going to be able to continue with it :(. I hate this kind of disjointed training. I can't find a class I can get to after work that starts earlier and if I keep up with it it means my wednesdays and fridays are almost complete write offs.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Thanks again.

The "click" just happens one day. Not to sound jedi but be mindful of your technique before and after and even get into the habit of writing down poo poo you learned after class and run through where you hosed up in your head the next day try to visualise what you can do better. Set small goals even if it's just something like remembering basic poo poo like hip escaping and recovering guard after being passed.

Also to echo what was said above, I swept a dude that has 50 kgs on me the other night and it took almost no strength, use your legs to manipulate their weight when you're in guard, pull them forward or push them away a little bit to get their weight where you want it. A little pull with your thighs before a sweep for instance can be the difference between getting passed and ending up in full mount.

It might not feel like you're developing, until someone new starts and then you'll beat them like a drum and wonder how anyone can be so bad at jiu jitsu. Can't remember which gracie said it but it was something like "The ground is the sea, I'm a shark and most people can't even swim". You're just starting even if it's been a month, BJJ is probably the most complex thing you can do physically so don't beat yourself up for loving up or not progressing as fast as you want.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

If you ever feel bad about your abilities/progress, remember that you are only ever competing with yourself. There are no grades, competitions/belts only matter as much as you let them in your mind.

Judo/BJJ are lifelong pursuits, mastery of an art. You're not learning street fighter combos, you are acquiring life skills.

Ever since I stopped giving a poo poo about my tournament results and belt, I enjoyed judo way more and started winning more.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Abloo, I gotta vent because I'm a dumb and hurt myself in a dumb manner.

Last week I got myself a skipping rope, since my cardio's terrible. Ten minutes of skipping later, I think I managed to score myself a mild compartment syndrome in my calf. It feels like I've been having DOMS for days now, plus one nice spike of pain when I managed to put all of my weight on that one muscle at once.

Just before my week off, too. :smith: I was hoping to do some catching up on the judo front since I've been neglecting the standup classes, maybe even go gas out and die in randori. But no, guess it's just matwork for me. If I can't put my full weight on the leg, I don't want to try lifting someone else. I'm hoping it'll settle down by the weekend, so I can at least go drill some technical stuff.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 8, 2016

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
I think it is super important to at least teach people how to deal with strikes.

The past couple of months I've been running an MMA class for our high whites and blue belts where I am introducing them to strikes while grappling. For all of them it is an incredible eye opener, and for me it is really fun to beat up some cocky blue belts because they don't know (yet) lol. Teaching them double legs vs strikes, and using strikes to set up a double leg etc is quickly learned if they know the independent parts (don't even need to throw a good punch). I think it is really driving home some of the basics of jiujitsu such as posture/posture control and positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Are we still doing this?

after about 6.5 years and a bunch of misfires, got my shodan!

• Locked thread