Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

HIJK posted:

It's so weird how Rothfuss manages to absorb all this media and yet doesn't understand what makes it work. He attends writing workshops and yet only goes through the process without understanding what the process is trying to teach him. "Destroy the world" indeed.

I am more and more amazed that a publisher looked at this, that an editor was put on this book, and that it was published as it was.

As a first or second draft I can understand this kind of confusion within the material but it's baffling that no one tried to correct this.

Or maybe Rothfuss refused?

I hope someone publishes some behind the scenes material someday explaining what the gently caress happened.

I think the point everyone saying "hurf a durf how is this guy even published" is missing is that compared to the majority of fantasy authors, Rothfuss is actually pretty drat good. Are there better authors? Of course there are. Rothfuss is no Tolkein, by any stretch of the imagination. Are there worse authors? Hell yes. And their stuff gets read in the same volume (or more!) as Rothfuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Rothfuss's editors are actually hugely successful - just not artistically. Rothfuss doesn't have the appeal of even the trashiest genre stuff. I'd honestly read a Drizzt book instead any time.

Nakar posted:

Writing myth is really hard because people don't usually set out to just write myths. You have to come up with a mindset that replicates generations of oral transmission or else just have that particular flair for simple poetry that makes something sound mythical instead of just trite and cutesy. I've tried to do it and even with references to model on stylistically (Homer, the Bible, etc.) it always reads like idiotic overwrought bullshit. There are very few people even remotely capable of doing it well. One of those things, like poetry, where you're better off eliding it if you're no good at it.

The thing about myth is that people really misunderstand it. Myth isn't loading everything with power and significance, but the opposite. Mythic storytelling is only what is significant. There are no frills or pretences. This is what resonates in oral storytelling, in epics, in sagas, in fairy-tales, etc.

This is how the Norse described an army of evil gathering:

Saga of King Hrolf Kraki posted:

Meanwhile Skuld assembled a troop of the best fighters as well as the worst rabble from neighbouring provinces. This treachery was concealed so that King Hrolf was completely unaware of it. Likewise the champions suspected nothing, because it was done with the most skilful magic and sorcery. Skuld, to overpower her brother King Hrolf, fashioned a spell of high potency, which summoned elves, norns and countless other vile creatures. No human power could withstand so strong a force.

These are some of the biggest influences on Tolkien stylistically.

Also,

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 3, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Rothfuss's editors are actually hugely successful - just not artistically. Rothfuss doesn't have the appeal of even the trashiest genre stuff. I'd honestly read a Drizzt book instead any time.

:dogbutton:

Not even maybe.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

:drat:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cyclomatic posted:

I'm guessing the point of the fire thing is to make the point that he knowingly destroyed what he thought to be valuable to someone he had a feud with, and then tried to kill him with fire, only for there to be no moral component. Which I took to be the point. Ivory tower types have a very hard time with that. Nihilism is the rejection of meaning, and is based on the idea of refuting something. It is like the atheist, who believes in the rejection of belief, and simply can't understand the instinctive agnostic who simply doesn't view the world in terms of belief.

Yeah you lose any credibility when you start talking about how "ivory tower types" don't get nihilism.

Here's a hint, nihilism is more then just a high school level "there is no meaning" and the only people seriously discussing it are, you guessed it, Ivory tower types.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It is like the atheist, who believes in the rejection of belief

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
LET’S READ THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE CRITICALLY

Part 13: “’Witnessed,’ said the second priest...“

In Chapter 27, “His Eyes Unveiled”, Kvothe leaves the inn. He is gleefully happy as he now has something to look forward in life. Of course stories and happiness jar something in him:

quote:

But as I sat there, I felt a vague unease creep over me. A feeling that I was forgetting something impinged on my too-rare happiness. I tried to ignore it, but it stayed with me all day and into the next, like a mosquito I couldn’t see, let alone swat. By the end of the day, I was certain I had forgotten something. Something about the story Skarpi had told.

It is easy for you to see, no doubt, hearing the story like this, conveniently arranged and narrated. Keep in mind that I had been living like an animal in Tarbean for nearly three years. Pieces of my mind were still asleep, and my painful memories had been gathering dust behind the door of forgetfulness. I had grown used to avoiding them, the same way a cripple keeps weight off an injured leg.

Now a lot of people will claim Kingkiller is a coming-of-age story or even a bildungsroman. This would imply that the book is about Kvothe’s development. It is not, as is evident from how it contradicts with the text. Look at what I’ve bolded: as we will see, the Tarbean sequence features only a warped version of Kvothe. His life in Tarbean is merely him being suppressed, and has no actual effect on his development. The actual metaphor used in the text is that he awakens and throws away his old clothes. There will be nods to the skills he learned in the streets, but not to how it has affected his personality and his lifestyle. There is no ruthless survivor’s instinct or “iron-hard practicality” after this. Kvothe will in a future chapter claim that financial insecurity at a privileged academic institution represents poverty!

It’s also another part of Rothfuss’s bizarre treatment of class. Poverty, in his grand scheme, is an unreal and nightmarish exile from society: Kvothe remains an outsider in Tarbean, without relationships to other people. Everyone else is either hostile to him or a charitable soul who will soon exit the narrative. There is no real comprehension of class or society. Other street urchins will congregate together, but they’re either violent or unknowable. Approaching the Church for charity is brushed off with a brief mention about how Kvothe heard rumours about them. All is explained by Kvothe losing his family and spending half a year in wilderness. Rothfuss will attempt to add some class satire soon, which mostly falls flat.

Kvothe secures some money and drinks a beer, and sees a priest wearing a cowl. Kvothe wishes to avoid for being drunk and a thief. But the priest happens to look in his direction, holding a torch, and Kvothe is struck by the image of a man’s face covered in shadow. For the first time he recalls the Chandrian, and remembers that their leader was called Haliax.

quote:

They had killed my parents for gathering stories about them. They had killed my whole troupe over a song. I sat awake all night with little more than these thoughts running through my head. Slowly I came to realize them as the truth.

What did I do then? Did I swear I would find them, kill them all for what they had done? Perhaps. But even if I did, I knew in my heart it was impossible. Tarbean had taught me hard practicality. Kill the Chandrian? Kill Lanre? How could I even begin? I would have more luck trying to steal the moon. At least I knew where to look for the moon at night.

Some people will tell you that Kingkiller subverts the conventions of fantasy epics. These people are not entirely wrong. The impetus driving the narrative is the protagonist’s family being killed by comic book villains. But Kingkiller subverts this: the bulk of its narrative does not involve the Chandrian, or Kvothe’s quest for revenge. Rothfuss has successfully overcome clichés such as “plot”.

In Chapter 28, “Tehlu’s Watchful Eye,” Kvothe rushes in for Skarpi’s next storytelling session. Skarpi is continuing after the story of Selitos after the fall of his city. Selitos is looking for help from God, along with his companions. They wish for power to avenge themselves on Lanre/Haliax, but God demands that they must act impartially and not for personal vengeance.

quote:

Selitos went to Aleph and knelt before him. “I must refuse, for I cannot forget. But I will oppose him with these faithful Ruach beside me. I see their hearts are pure. We will be called the Amyr in memory of the ruined city. We will confound Lanre and any who follow him. Nothing will prevent us from attaining the greater good.”

Most of the Ruach hung back from Selitos, too. They were afraid, and they did not wish to become involved in great matters.

But Tehlu stood forward saying, “I hold justice foremost in my heart. I will leave this world behind that I might better serve it, serving you.” He knelt before Aleph, his head bowed, his hands open at his sides.

quote:

They came to Aleph, and he touched them. He touched their hands and eyes and hearts. The last time he touched them there was pain, and wings tore from their backs that they might go where they wished. Wings of fire and shadow. Wings of iron and glass. Wings of stone and blood.

Then Aleph spoke their long names and they were wreathed in a white fire. The fire danced along their wings and they became swift. The fire flickered in their eyes and they saw into the deepest hearts of men. The fire filled their mouths and they sang songs of power. Then the fire settled on their foreheads like silver stars and they became at once righteous and wise and terrible to behold. Then the fire consumed them and they were gone forever from mortal sight.

None but the most powerful can see them, and only then with great difficulty and at great peril. They mete out justice to the world, and Tehlu is the greatest of them all—”

Now this is undoubtedly all foreshadowing, and the identities and activities of the Amyr are subject to speculation by fans. Like I said, I won’t engage in fandom theories because it’s a poor substitute for artistic analysis. All of this mythmaking is actually irrelevant without further entries in the series, and can be safely ignored. Was Kvothe protected by the Amyr in Chapter 22? It doesn’t really matter that much. The story is brief but as overwrought and unfocused as the Lanre myth.

Skarpi’s story is interrupted by the Inquisition, who charge him with heresy. There’s a lot of incidental dialogue with priests agreeing with each other and threatening the innkeeper. Skarpi is bound, but not silenced:

quote:

“Do not speak his name!” the Justice screamed, his face a livid red. “Your mouth dirties it. It is a blasphemy upon your tongue.”

“Oh come now, Erlus.” Skarpi chided as though talking to a small child. “Tehlu hates you even more than the rest of the world does, which is quite a bit.”

The room became unnaturally still. The Justice’s face grew pale. “God have mercy on you,” he said in a cold, trembling voice.

Skarpi looked at the Justice mutely for a moment. Then he started to laugh. Great, booming, helpless laughter from the bottom of his soul.

The eyes of the Justice flicked to one of the men who had tied the storyteller. With no preamble the grim-faced man struck Skarpi with a tight fist. Once in the kidney, once in the back of the neck.

Skarpi crumpled to the ground. The room was silent. The sound of his body hitting the wood planking of the floor seemed to fade before the echoes of his laughter did. At a gesture from the Justice, one of the guards picked the old man up by the scruff of his neck. He dangled like a rag doll, his feet trailing on the ground.

But Skarpi was not unconscious, merely stunned. The storyteller’s eyes rolled around to focus on the Justice. “Mercy on my soul.” He gave a weak croak that might have been a chuckle on a better day. “You don’t know how funny that sounds coming from you.”

Skarpi tells Kvothe to run and he proceeds to do exactly so.

Another false claim often made about Kingkiller is that it has good world-building, or world-building at all. “World-building” in itself is something lovers of genre fiction obsess over without really understanding it. They mistake it for an end in itself. Of course, the point of any world-building is to help tell a story, and not to fabricate a “living, breathing world” as hacks will claim. Tolkien uses Middle-Earth for a quite distinct effect. The whole Middle-Earth mythos is about loss and decline. It’s one of the cruellest stories I know: Tolkien creates wonders, only to tell how they will all be lost.

How does this relate to the Inquisition? Well, the narrative of Kvothe’s youth has been set in “the Commonwealth”. This is where his family was killed, and where Tarbean is located. The Commonwealth is also home to the University, which is a secular academic institution and where magic is practiced and taught. In fact, the University is only a few days of travel away from Tarbean.

The Inquisition operates a few days of travel away from the secular institution of magical arts.

Some people will tell you that Kingkiller’s world-building is enchanting because it feels real, because of the little touches.

These people are idiots.

I don’t recall the narrative explanation for this inconsistency. Some fans offer conspiracy theories about how the University was established and is protected by the Amyr. But again, it doesn’t matter. It doesn’t make much sense artistically. Once again we must consider if this is satire or ironic, but the story presents this straight and in concrete terms. The real explanation is that Kingkiller’s world is not a world, but a collection of motifs and sets that do not relate to each other, logically or aesthetically. It is a collection of trivia and props, mere paraphernalia. There is no central theme or idea to it. Middle-Earth, in Lord of the Rings, is sparse and wild to reflect the loss and decline it faces. In the Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories, Nehwon is dream-like in its simultaneous closeness and vagueness, which allows for easy turns from jolly satire to nightmare. Huckleberry Finn’s south is home to every kind of foolishness. The search for meaning becomes mired in chaos and violence in Umberto Eco’s Medieval Europe, etc etc.

Religion, too, is represented as either violent or unknowable. This adds a further layer of irony to the University. The institution of the medieval university developed partly out of the Catholic Church. Although universities were generally independent, they still maintained a strong clerical element in them, and education in one became necessary for higher clerics. Now I’m not saying that the absence of clericalism in a fantastical school is fundamentally a flaw, but it is still fascinating in how it reveals something about Kingkiller’s ideological landscape. Kvothe joins the University not soon after observing the Inquisition at work. The Inquisition represent violent parochialism, which Rothfuss denounces several times in the text (consider Kvothe’s dismissal of uneducated rustics when he begins his narration).

In Chapter 29, “The Doors of My Mind,” Kvothe begins to finally awaken from the nightmare of lumpenproletariat existence. At this point he discovers his Moby Dick, or Prester John for the Baudolino connection.

quote:

When I had worn myself out with sobbing it was deep into the night. I lay there looking at the sky, weary but unable to sleep. I thought of my parents and of the troupe, and was surprised to find the memories less bitter than before.

[...]

If you have ever slept the whole night without moving, then awoke in the morning, your body stiff with inaction. If you can remember how that first terrific stretch feels, pleasant and painful, then you may understand how my mind felt after all these years, stretching awake on the rooftops of Tarbean.

I spent the rest of that night opening the doors of my mind. Inside I found things long forgotten: my mother fitting words together for a song, diction for the stage, three recipes for tea to calm nerves and promote sleep, finger scales for the lute.

My music. Had it really been years since I held a lute?

I spent a long time thinking about the Chandrian, about what they had done to my troupe, what they had taken from me. I remembered blood and the smell of burning hair and felt a deep, sullen anger burning in my chest. I will admit I thought dark, vengeful thoughts that night.

But my years in Tarbean had instilled an iron-hard practicality. I knew revenge was nothing more than a childish fantasy. I was fifteen. What could I possibly do?

I did know one thing. It had come to me as I lay remembering. It was something Haliax had said to Cinder. Who keeps you safe from the Amyr? The singers? The Sithe? From all that would harm you in the world?

The Chandrian had enemies. If I could find them, they would help me. I had no idea who the singers or the Sithe were, but everyone knew that the Amyr were church knights, the strong right hand of the Aturan Empire. Unfortunately, everyone also knew that there had been no Amyr in three hundred years. They had been disbanded when the Aturan Empire collapsed.

But Haliax had spoken of them as if they still existed. And Skarpi’s story implied that the Amyr had begun with Selitos, not with the Aturan Empire as I had always been taught. There was obviously more to the story, more that I needed to know.

The more I thought on it, the more questions arose. The Chandrian obviously didn’t kill everyone who gathered stories or sang songs about them. Everyone knew a story or two about them, and every child at one point has sung the silly rhyme about their signs. What made my parent’s song so different?

I had questions. There was only one place for me to go, of course.

Kvothe looks over his possessions, which include his only memento of Ben:

quote:

As the sun was rising, I removed Rhetoric and Logic from its hiding place underneath a rafter. I unwrapped the scrap of treated canvas I used to protect it and was relieved to find it dry and well. I felt the smooth leather in my hands. I held it to my face and smelled the back of Ben’s wagon, spice and yeast with the bitter tang of acids and chemical salts mingled in. It was the last tangible piece of my past.

I opened it to the first page and read the inscription Ben had made more than three years ago.

Kvothe,

Defend yourself well at the University. Make me proud.

Remember your father’s song. Be wary of folly.

Abenthy.

I nodded to myself and turned the page.

ROTHFUSSIAN ATTRIBUTES

quote:

Others came forward. Tall Kirel, who had been burned but left living in the ash of Myr Tariniel. Deah, who had lost two husbands to the fighting, and whose face and mouth and heart were hard and cold as stone. Enlas, who would not carry a sword or eat the flesh of animals, and who no man had ever known to speak hard words. Fair Geisa, who had a hundred suitors in Belen before the walls fell. The first woman to know the unasked-for touch of man.

Lecelte, who laughed easily and often, even when there was woe thick about him. Imet, hardly more than a boy, who never sang and killed swiftly without tears. Ordal, the youngest of them all, who had never seen a thing die, stood bravely before Aleph, her golden hair bright with ribbon. And beside her came Andan, whose face was a mask with burning eyes, whose name meant anger.

And an old friend from part 2 returns!

quote:

This the mercenaries did with rough efficiency.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 7, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Some people will tell you that Kingkiller’s world-building is enchanting because it feels real, because of the little touches.

These people are idiots.

And thus you make your entire post not worth reading; not worth the electricity powering my monitor to see it.

Why not just make your points? Why do you feel this insane need to put everyone else down for looking for different things in a book?

Stop lording over everyone else and post your analysis without being an rear end about it.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

jivjov posted:

Why not just make your points? Why do you feel this insane need to put everyone else down for looking for different things in a book?

Never met fantasy readers before, have you?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Having spent years on the forums of internet comedy site Something Awful, I will not tolerate use of the word idiot and furthermore

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

jivjov posted:

And thus you make your entire post not worth reading; not worth the electricity powering my monitor to see it.

Stop lording over everyone else and post your analysis without being an rear end about it.

you are the gift that keeps on giving, except the gift is bad posts

you are the bad post that keeps on posting

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

...but Lamps is right, and the comic hyperbole attached to that argument doesn't negate or undermine its validity.

Not-Cardinal Ximenez could set out with Cardinals Not-Biggles and Not-Fang on Monday and have that wretched hive of free-thinking scum and villainy shut down before the weekend. So why don't they? Jackbooted oppressors generally don't fart around when it comes to shutting down perceived threats like universities.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm loving this thread lately.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

SatansOnion posted:

So why don't they?

Because they keep having to go out and come in again, and then eventually they have to find someone else (in a toffee-nosed university town no less) who can convincingly say "one o'crossbeams'gone outer-skew on'treadle". And he thinks Rothfuss doesn't understand social class!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

ChickenWing posted:

you are the gift that keeps on giving, except the gift is bad posts

you are the bad post that keeps on posting
Something something bad post in three parts.

SatansOnion posted:

Not-Cardinal Ximenez could set out with Cardinals Not-Biggles and Not-Fang on Monday and have that wretched hive of free-thinking scum and villainy shut down before the weekend. So why don't they? Jackbooted oppressors generally don't fart around when it comes to shutting down perceived threats like universities.
Maybe they tried once but they got shut down by a hard-drinking, hard-partying magician frat.

This would be a much better story.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off
The Arcanum's already on Double Secret Probation, there's nothing more the Cardinal can do.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Now a lot of people will claim Kingkiller is a coming-of-age story or even a bildungsroman. This would imply that the book is about Kvothe’s development. It is not, as is evident from how it contradicts with the text. Look at what I’ve bolded: as we will see, the Tarbean sequence features only a warped version of Kvothe. His life in Tarbean is merely him being suppressed, and has no actual effect on his development. The actual metaphor used in the text is that he awakens and throws away his old clothes. There will be nods to the skills he learned in the streets, but not to how it has affected his personality and his lifestyle. There is no ruthless survivor’s instinct or “iron-hard practicality” after this. Kvothe will in a future chapter claim that financial insecurity at a privileged academic institution represents poverty!

I think this disjunction will be crucial to the series, actually. Kvothe's early experiences as a quasi-feral little poo poo keep coming out in little ways. He think he's grown, he thinks he's a good guy, he thinks he's righteous, but he has a fundamental lack of trust in other people that drives him to try to control other people when he ought to be cooperating with them.

This in turn gets to the other theme Rothfuss is trying for, which is that stories always lie. None of the stories of the Chandrian are entirely accurate. The story Kvothe tells about himself isn't either. He's not the good guy he claims to be. I expect that if Doors of Stone ever arrives, he'll get his comeuppance.

To be clear, I'm not defending Rothfuss' prose style; I think that his reach has significantly exceeded his grasp.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That would work if WMF wasn't 100% about how awesome Kvothe is.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
It might still work if all of Doors of Stone is about him being a vindictive poo poo comes back to bite him. So he's a strong, sexy karate wizard, but basically everyone he's ever known has abandoned him for having been a poo poo.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

It will take a lot of really slick plotting to save the framework of this series in the third novel. Writing prowess that rothfuss has not proven he has. More n likely he ll fumble it, the ending will continue the let down of this series and it will contain a whiny foreword about how people wont understand it and the book is only for special people who 'get kvothe'

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The thing that really pissed me off about this series(and the way others pitched it to me) is that even in the first book, all the legend-building incidents feel like phony authorial contrivances rather than poo poo that would naturally/believably lend itself to exaggeration. Instead it just seems like a bunch of NPCs stand around waiting for him to give them something to talk up. The "Kvothe the Bloodless" bit was probably the worst offender to me but it always felt like Rothfuss went about the whole thing rear end-backwards

If that is actually what he was trying for with the story, he should've drawn from Westerns instead of D&D campaigns

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Yea Kvothe the bloodless is indeed especially egregious and I hope lamp guy brings it up when the time comes because its one of the dumber 'TRUE STORY BEHIND THE LEGEND' bits of the book. So when you hear it you're like wow sounds badass, I wonder why they call him that, and how the legend will be so TWISTED from the TRUTH.

Then it turns out he ate a thing that made him not bleed, so the title is literally true, but no one really calls him that and it doesnt really get twisted out of proportion. He probably calls himself that. It doesn't help or hinder him in any way. Its a big wet fart and just another one of those things where the legend and reality are not far apart and theres no way this book is about how stories change or whatever it is people wanna believe.

As a contrast, we can look at Monza in Abercrombie's 'Best Served Cold' who Gets the title 'Butcher of Cavile', and through the story we see her use its reputation to her advantage, and ultimately learn she didn't earn it at all it was someone else's order that caused the slaughter which got her the name, but through the story we see the effects it has on her and the people she meets. Conversely in this poo poo, the name means jackall.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 5, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Going over what I've posted, I may be wrong about the story having no central theme. The theme might be knowledge and how it sets people apart.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 5, 2016

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

To be honest, I'm not really spotting that in either what you've posted or what I remember of both books.

I mean, Rothfuss tries to tell us what the themes in the books are, it's just that none of the narrative or prose actually supports there being a cohesive theme in the books.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Going over what I've posted, I may be wrong about the story having no central theme. The theme might be knowledge and how it sets people apart.

Yeah, we have examples so far of Kvothe, Ben, Kvothe's father, the Chandrian (pre and post fall), and Skarpi, and we aren't even that far in. We'll see practically every major character and quite a few minor characters defined by what they know that others don't in some fashion.

...Naming, of course, being the ultimate in "knowledge in power" in-world setting.

e: while I'm posting, I have to say that I really wish I could separate my mind into 2 or 3 separate consciousness streams and parallel process.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
And the point is to show how some people are better than others because they're set apart. It's an elitist position.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 6, 2016

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
The central theme of the story is the disparity between the myth and reality of Kvothe and how each influences the other.

Just because he's doing a lovely job of it doesn't make it any less the central theme. It's also dumb because the myth of Kvothe has had almost no impact (that we can see) on the protagonist, save that he built a cabin in the woods to hide in because he didn't want to dye his hair and stay somewhere more public.

Other people in the world have their own mini cycles of this theme as well.

-Kvothe's parents try to tell a story about the Chanders that's too close to the truth, and are killed for it.
-I'm sure there are others.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 6, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Benson Cunningham posted:

The central theme of the story is the disparity between the myth and reality of Kvothe and how each influences the other.

Just because he's doing a lovely job of it doesn't make it any less the central theme. It's also dumb because the myth of Kvothe has had almost no impact (that we can see) on the protagonist, save that he built a cabin in the woods to hide in because he didn't want to dye his hair and stay somewhere more public.

Other people in the world have their own mini cycles of this theme as well.

-Kvothe's parents try to tell a story about the Chanders that's too close to the truth, and are killed for it.
-I'm sure there are others.

That's not disparity.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

And the point is to show how some people are better than others because they're set apart. It's an elitist position.

Some people are clearly better than others, as demonstrated by Rothfuss' writing and Jivjov's posting.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

That's not disparity.

Like I said, lovely job of it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
LET’S READ THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE CRITICALLY

Part 14: “’A whore stole my clothes.’”

In Chapter 30, “The Broken Binding,” Kvothe is gathering funds with all of his iron-hard practicality. He makes a deal with a dismissive bookseller to pawn Ben’s book. Reading this may cause whiplash:

quote:

This time he gave me such a long hard look that I began to get a little nervous. It was only then I realized how I must look, covered in a year’s worth of alley dirt, trying to get a receipt for a book I’d obviously stolen.

Eventually he gave another bland shrug and scratched out a note on a slip of paper. At the bottom of it he drew a line and made a motion with his pen. “Sign here.”

I looked at the paper. It read:

I, by signing below, hereby attest to the fact that I can neither read nor write.

I looked up at the owner. He held a straight face. I dipped the pen and carefully wrote the letters “D D” as if they were initials.

He fanned the ink dry and slid my “receipt” across the desk toward me. “What does D stand for?” he asked with the barest hint of a smile.

“Defeasance,” I said. “It means to render something null and void, usually a contract. The second D is for Decrepitate. Which is the act of throwing someone into a fire.” He gave me a blank look. “Decrepication is the punishment for forgery in Junpui. I think false receipts fall in that category.”

The bookseller is amused enough to let Kvothe write the receipt, who proceeds to write down a sum smaller than what he got, which the bookseller doesn’t notice.

quote:

I decided that he was not an altogether bad fellow. I smiled back at him and for a second I almost felt guilty about how I’d written the receipt.

I also felt guilty about the three pens I’d stolen, but only for a second. And since there was no convenient way to give them back, I stole a bottle of ink before I left.

In Chapter 31, “The Nature of Nobility,” Kvothe enjoys the money he has gained. He realises he needs to clean himself and get new clothes to get anywhere. After bathing, he realises that he looks lean and handsome. He has realised that finding proper clothes will be difficult without, well, proper clothes. He simply discards them.

quote:

Still naked, I wrapped myself in a towel and left by the back door. I took my purse but kept it out of sight. It was a little before noon and people were everywhere. Needless to say, quite a few eyes were turned in my direction. I ignored them and set a brisk pace, not trying to hide. I composed my features into an impassive, angry mask without a trace of embarrassment.

I stopped by a father and son loading burlap sacks into a cart. The son was about four years older than me and head and shoulders taller. “Boy,” I snapped. “Where can I buy some clothes around here?” I looked pointedly at his shirt. “Decent clothes,” I amended.

He looked at me, his expression somewhere between confusion and anger. His father hurriedly took off his hat and stepped in front of his son. “Your lordship might try Bentley’s. It’s plain stuff, but it’s only a street or two away.”

[...]

He pointed and I strode off. As I walked I remembered one of the young page parts I used to play in the troupe. The page’s name was Dunstey, an insufferably petulant little boy with an important father. He was perfect. I gave my head an imperious tilt, set my shoulders a little differently and made a couple of mental adjustments

Kvothe storms into a tailor’s shop and bullies the shopkeeper to measure him a new suit at a discount. He plays his part so well that one has to suspect that he’s not acting.

quote:

I slid out of the robe and pulled on the pants. “They’ll get me home, I suppose. How much for your trouble, Bentley?” I asked.

He thought for a second. “One and two.”

I began to lace up my shirt and said nothing.

“Sorry, sir,” he said quickly. “Forgot who I was dealing with.” He swallowed. “One even would do nicely.”

Taking out my purse, I put one silver talent into his hand and looked him in the eye. “I will be needing some change.”

His mouth made a thin line, but he nodded and handed me back two jots.

Why is there so much focus on Kvothe outwitting shopkeepers? The answer is that this is the new Kvothe, cocksure and arrogant. This is what those years in Tarbean were suppressing. The only significant change to come is his growing into a bitter old man at the ripe age of 25.

The appeal in these two chapters is that Kvothe is almost an amoral anti-hero. He provokes and amuses the reader and their sense of propriety, like Becky Sharp from Vanity Fair, Barry Lyndon from the book of the same name, and Balram Halwai from White Tiger. In fantasy you’ll find Cugel from the Dying Earth stories, and stylistically this sequence resembles Lies of Locke Lamora. But as is a rule with Rothfuss, this is undercut by inconsistent tone and narrative. Kvothe needs to be both a picaresque adventurer and a sensitive and driven young man as we will see in the coming chapters. But his deeds are so petty that they fail to make an impact except to underline his new personality.

quote:

I opened my mouth to protest; an iron penny for an hour’s work was a bargain I was hesitant to pass up. Two pennies was the same as a loaf of bread, and I couldn’t count all the times that I had been hungry in the last year.

Then I saw my hands resting on the bar. They were pink and clean, I almost didn’t recognize them for my own.

I realized then I didn’t want to do the dishes. I had more important things to do.
I stood back from the bar and got a penny from my purse. “Where’s the best place to find a caravan leaving for the north?” I asked.

Of course he has a good reason to leave, but it’s quite apt in describing his old class prejudices, is it not?

As I said, his deeds are too petty make much of an impact, but on the other hand, this may be just what readers find appealing. They can live vicariously through Kvothe showing up his “inferiors,” while still being reassured that underneath he’s the vulnerable child we know. It’s callow indulgence: readers may amuse themselves safely without actually being challenged.

That Kvothe cheating shopkeepers demands more page time than him trying to immolate someone should be evidence enough.

Becky Sharp constantly up-ends what is right and proper. Balram Halwai transcends and masters the corrupt system of India with one act of transgression. What Rothfuss wants is “safe” transgression. Thus he undercuts his own satire of class.

This is displayed best in Chapter 32, “Cobblers, Coppers and Crowds”.

quote:

I felt strange to be walking with the crowd.

Over the last couple years crowds had become a part of the scenery of the city to me. I might use a crowd to hide from a guard or a storekeeper. I might move through a crowd to get where I was going. I might even be going in the same direction as the crowd, but I was never a part of it.

I was so used to being ignored, I almost ran from the first merchant who tried to sell me something.

Once I knew what was bothering me, the greater part of my uneasiness left. Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.

None of this has the intelligence and bitterness of something like Dickens’s Great Expectations, because Tarbean is an empty stage without a connection to Kvothe. Dickens meanwhile exploits Pip’s relationship with his home to great effect:

Great Expectations posted:

I had not got as much further down the street as the post-office, when I again beheld Trabb's boy shooting round by a back way. This time, he was entirely changed. He wore the blue bag in the manner of my great-coat, and was strutting along the pavement towards me on the opposite side of the street, attended by a company of delighted young friends to whom he from time to time exclaimed, with a wave of his hand, "Don't know yah!" Words cannot state the amount of aggravation and injury wreaked upon me by Trabb's boy, when, passing abreast of me, he pulled up his shirt-collar, twined his side-hair, stuck an arm akimbo, and smirked extravagantly by, wriggling his elbows and body, and drawling to his attendants, "Don't know yah, don't know yah, 'pon my soul don't know yah!"

Kvothe ducks into a cobbler’s shop for fear of a guard, and meets another one of those charitable types that more often than not enter the narrative as rapidly as they leave it. The wagon-riding father and son, Trapis, the performers after Kvothe is beat up by a guard, the servant girls at the inn, Skarpi, and now a cobbler who muses about how much feet tell about people. Their purpose is to reassure the readers that things will be alright while stopping Kvothe from developing actual relationships with other characters. This host of would-be Joe Gargerys exists only for Kvothe’s sake and to add pathos to his story. The cobbler offers some advice with metaphors about smelly feet, and gives Kvothe a pair of free shoes:

quote:

I knew that he was trying to do me a favor, and a week ago I would have jumped at the opportunity for free shoes. But for some reason I didn’t feel right about it. I quietly gathered up my things and left a pair of copper jots on his stool before I left.

Why? Because pride is a strange thing, and because generosity deserves generosity in return. But mostly because it felt like the right thing to do, and that is reason enough.

I suppose this is supposed to be a counterpoint to him stealing from the bookseller, but the satire is being subsumed. Kvothe finds a wagoneer going towards the University. Like the rustics of the frame story and most of the charitable souls, he’s a broadly but hollowly characterised proletariat type. Kvothe duly impresses him by speaking his language. It’s better handled by Wolf Hall, where young Cromwell knowing Welsh was a surprise that characterised him. The fictional language introduced is in the standard mold of epic fantasy, with lots of exotic vowel combinations. Kvothe also notices a beautiful dark-haired woman on the wagon, but he has goodbyes to make.

quote:

As I made my way down the short hallway, a boy in rags emerged from the inner rooms holding a small winter apple. He pulled up short when he saw me, then scowled, his eyes narrow and suspicious. Looking down, he brushed roughly past me.

Without even thinking about it, I slapped his hand away from my purse and turned to look at him, too stunned for words. He bolted outside, leaving me confused and disturbed. We never stole from each other here. Out on the streets it was everyone for themselves, but Trapis’ basement was the closest thing to a sanctuary we had, like a church. None of us would risk spoiling that.

[...]
It dawned on me then. None of them recognized me. Clean and well-dressed, I looked like some regular boy come wandering in. I didn’t belong.

quote:

“Kvothe, you run for soap.” He held out a halfpenny. “Go to Marna’s in the Wash. You’ll get better from her if you tell her who it’s for.”

I felt a sudden lump form in my throat. He knew me. I can’t hope to explain to you how much of a relief it was. Trapis was the closest thing I had to a family. The thought of him not knowing me had been horrifying.

“I don’t have time to run an errand, Trapis.” I said hesitantly. “I’m leaving. I’m heading inland, to Imre.”

This sequence tries to convince the readers that a relationship exists where it didn’t. The other street urchins were unknowable to Kvothe. He is supposed to someone who “gets away” from the streets, but Kvothe was only on the streets by contrivance. There was no class dimension to his predicament. Trapis is a Dickensian mechanical who must now dispense pathos and a hug (would “embrace” have been too hoity-toity for this subversive epic?). This is a climax to story that never was, but the narration notes no irony in this.

quote:

Of course. Trapis never saw the clothes, only the child inside them. “I stopped by to let you know where my things are. On the roof of the candle works there’s a place where three roofs meet. There are some things there, a blanket, a bottle. I don’t need any of it anymore. It’s a good place to sleep if anyone needs one, dry. No one goes there….” I trailed off.

“That’s kind of you. I’ll send one of the boys round,” Trapis said. “Come here.” He came forward and gathered me into a clumsy hug, his beard tickling the side of my face. “I’m always glad to see one of you get away,” he said softly to me. “I know you’ll do just fine for yourself, but you can always come back if you need to.”

One of the girls on a nearby cot began to thrash and moan. Trapis pulled away from me and turned to look. “What what,” he said as he hurried over to tend to her, his bare feet slapping on the floor. “What what. Hush hush.”

ROTHFUSSIAN ATTRIBUTES

quote:

He turned away and barked curses in Siaru at a man loading a wagon with bolts of cloth. When he spoke his native language, he sounded like an angry rockslide.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 16, 2016

Aug 15, 2010

Random thanks for these. I've read NOTW and AWMF for the sake of, well as a fantasy reader these are the books that must be read! It is refreshing to have my lack of connection to Kvothe presented in a a way I cannot explain.

drat. Bad Thread? This time, it's a ginger?

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Angry rockslide means he sounds like Benjamin Grimm.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

So White Tiger is a "good" book? I remember it pretty distinctly for how f'd up India sounded and how the protagonist's life ended up making him just another part of a corrupt as gently caress system but he came off as a "nice" person because he tried to do right as far as you could in a morally corrupt world.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

pentyne posted:

So White Tiger is a "good" book? I remember it pretty distinctly for how f'd up India sounded and how the protagonist's life ended up making him just another part of a corrupt as gently caress system but he came off as a "nice" person because he tried to do right as far as you could in a morally corrupt world.

As a moral argument it's terrific. Yes, Balram Halwai does become another part of the corrupt system of India, but at the same time he transcends it. In Adiga's fabulistic view, every part of Indian society functions to limit people. Balram Halwai kills someone and leaves his own family to be murdered, but he becomes free. He's the perfect capitalist predator, but at the same time he's as much an independent moral subject as is possible in the system. He's still despicable and not in anyway commendable, but he has won something no one else has - the ability to act on his own choices instead of what is demanded of him. That is enough proof that there is still some kind of hope.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 8, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jivjov posted:

Go gently caress yourself. I don't shame you for your reading habits, don't shame me for mine.

In fact, I just finished up the last book I was reading, I'm going to re-read Name of the Wind again solely to spite you.

What the hell is it about this thread that invites people to be so loving judgmental, not of the books themselves but of other people's enjoyment of them?

have you REALLY read these books 10 times? holy poo poo.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's pretty believable because it explains so much about his posting.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You usually have to read a book you're writing hundreds of times. Jivjov is Rothfuss, you see.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

You usually have to read a book you're writing hundreds of times. Jivjov is Rothfuss, you see.

Rothfuss would probably get his book out faster if he spent less time arguing about Nintendo account systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

If you knew Jivjov you wouldn't have to ask that

• Locked thread