Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

That's my Bush!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

I think everyone missed this. Satire will never catch up to America ever again.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The face he's making there is pretty much raw, undistilled "welp :shobon:"

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

vorebane posted:

Dear god, those comments.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Aurubin posted:

Dear god, those comments.

...gently caress

:negative:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vorebane posted:

quote:

Legal and child psychology experts ridiculed Weil’s assertions, noting that key milestones for 3- and 4-year-olds include cooperating with other children, saying simple sentences and building towers of blocks.

:drat:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Holy crap.

I need to recalibrate my crazy-dar.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I wish this was his official campaign stuff. Don't think I ever snagged a Jeb! button.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I didn't even talk until I was 3 what the gently caress.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

fade5 posted:

You have no idea how happy this makes me.

Trump slaughtered Jeb!'s campaign and Jeb! couldn't do a goddamn thing about it except piss away $120 million dollars while being repeatedly humiliated on national TV by an orange clown man with a bad combover.

Suck it Jeb!

Sweet, $35 guac bowls here I come

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

porfiria posted:

What, fundamentally, is the establishment's issue with Trump? Is it:

A) He's not strictly a Conservative (the wall, tariffs)
B) They think Hillary will annihilate him
C) By becoming president (and maybe even by being nominated) he'd become the de facto head of the party and he's got no feeling obligation to them at all
D) They have some actual sense of moral responsibility (he might do pogroms)
E) They have absolutely no idea what he'd do once in office

I think it's a bit of each of those things, but the main thing is that he's not being deferential enough to the GOP establishment. If he had treated the party bosses as his superiors and paid them respects a lot of the points you listed would likely be overlooked, and they'd play along with their overblown egos intact.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes they would. Using Trump means getting far more votes than they normally do and IIRC those parties normally fail to hit the threshold for fund eligibility. Using Trump to siphon votes to their party could result in hitting that threshold which would benefit them in future race. It's not like they have anything to lose.

No, they would not. They both take pride in purity, the LP wasn't going to let Rand Paul have their nomination even though he's a sitting US Senator, and they reluctantly let Gary Johnson run even though he was not the most pure candidate they had.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

vorebane posted:

I made a HUGE mistake and started reading the comments section. DEAR GOD MAN, THESE ARE LITERAL CHILDREN YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Mitt Romney posted:

Assuming no candidate reaches the delegate threshold I said, but July to November is 4 months. That's a lifetime in politics. That's a lot of time for the conservative base to rally around the nominee and get worked up over Clinton.

The majority of Republicans would be happy if Romney ended up the nominee out of this lovely bunch of candidates.

you're not running Mitt. you even said that in your speech. deal with it. loser!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Lote posted:

This is one of those "So crazy it might work ideas" but what if the Republican party did not nominate anyone? The election would turn into a defacto mid term and depress Dem turnout thereby ensuring Republican control of the House and possibly the Senate.

Old white people are incapable of judo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Chuck Grassley has not been hurt by the Supreme Court fight. He is sitting 57% approval. Jone Ernst is has risen to 43%.

quote:

A word of caution for Democrats thinking U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley’s controversial stance on a U.S. Supreme Court vacancy might make him vulnerable at the ballot box this year — the veteran Republican remains popular in Iowa.

The latest Des Moines Register/Mediacom Iowa Poll — which was conducted Feb. 21-24, as the court controversy was unfolding — shows Grassley’s approval rating holding steady at 57 percent, while just 28 percent say they disapprove of the job he’s doing.

That approval is down 7 percentage points from a year ago, but it remains well within his normal range over the last several years, Register pollster J. Ann Selzer said. Over the past decade, Grassley has rated as high as 75 percent, in January 2009, and as low as 54 percent, in February 2010.

The poll was conducted by Selzer & Co., which surveyed 804 Iowa adults. The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

The results suggest that even Iowans who are frustrated by Grassley’s role in blocking the nomination proceedings aren’t ready to deny him the seventh term he’s seeking this fall.

“This may be politically damaging for the Republican Party, but I don’t think it is for Senator Grassley,” University of Northern Iowa political scientist Chris Larimer said. “He’s built up such a considerable amount of goodwill across the state that it seems as though voters separate him from the Republican Party.”

Democrats have decried this position as obstructionism, and on Thursday multiple sources told the Register that former Iowa Lt. Gov. Patty Judge will enter the Senate race against him. Judge told the Register last week that she was considering entering the race largely in response to Grassley's handling of the nomination.

Pamela Glassmeyer, 58, of Logan, told the pollster last week that she approved of the job Grassley was doing. But when contacted by a reporter Wednesday, her view had shifted markedly.

“His position on the Supreme Court seems to follow the party line in going so far to the right,” Glassmeyer said. “He seems to be doing what other people are saying, not what he thinks is best. That has really colored my opinion of him in the past week.”

“Looking back at his past history and the job he’s done, I would still support the man for re-election,” said Grimm, a 76-year-old retired civil engineer. “I just think he’s making a bad mistake and will probably lose votes for the stance that he’s taken. It’s purely a political party play, and there isn’t any space for that in this situation.”

But Grant Woodard, a Des Moines attorney and Democratic operative, disagreed. Challenging Grassley represents a steep climb for Democrats, he acknowledged, but the court controversy could make the race competitive because it undermines Grassley's hard-won political identity: that he's a hardworking, practical and independent.

“I don’t think anybody running against Grassley is under the illusion that this will be an easy campaign — he’s the undisputed king of Iowa politics,” Woodard said. “But Grassley has created a persona over his lifetime of being a moderate, work-together-and-get-things-done Republican, and I think this does tarnish that brand.”

Iowa’s junior U.S. senator is not nearly as popular as her more tenured colleague, but she’s also not as well-known.

Forty-three percent of Iowa Poll respondents approve of the job U.S. Sen. Joni Ernst is doing, compared with 31 percent who disapprove and 25 percent who say they’re not sure.

Ernst was elected to her first term in 2014 and is still becoming known to her constituents.

A couple of other things pointed out in this article. Former Lt. Gov. Patty Judge is running against Grassley She was Lt. Gov. under Chet Culver. Iowa State Senator Rob Hogg was and may still be considered the favorite (and my candidate of choice), but she will make it hard. I don't know why. Probably because she is old and Iowa is old.

From the poll:
Iowans want medical marijuana, but not ready for recreational.
69% of Iowans want the state minimum wage increased. 33% of Iowans want it increased to $10.
Iowans are split on using the 1% sales tax for school repair and construction to help fun the water clean up projects.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Rank and File Republicans Tell Party Elites: We’re Sticking With Donald Trump

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/05/us/politics/donald-trump-republican-party.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

...At the Conservative Political Action Conference, a long-running gathering of traditional conservatives, attendees feared that they were witnessing an event that has not occurred in more than a century: the breaking apart of a major American political party. They spoke ruefully of “fidelity” lost and “values” forgone. They conceded a strange new feeling of powerlessness in the face of Mr. Trump’s ascendancy. ...

... In interviews, even lifelong Republicans who cast a ballot for Mr. Romney four years ago rebelled against his message and plan. “I personally am disgusted by it — I think it’s disgraceful,” said Lola Butler, 71, a retiree from Mandeville, La., who cast a ballot for Mr. Romney in 2012. “You’re telling me who to vote for and who not to vote for? Please."

... "I want to see Trump go up there and do damage to the Republican Party,” said Jeff Walls, 53, of Flowood, Miss.

... Conservative talk radio shows lit up Friday with incensed callers who said they were “livid,” “mad” and “on the verge of tears” as they listened to Mr. Romney scoldingly describe what he called Mr. Trump’s misogyny, vulgarity and dishonesty, and urged them to abandon him.

:shlick: :sherman: :getin:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Maoist Pussy posted:

USPol Apr - I want to see Trump do damage to the Republican Party

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Maoist Pussy posted:

... In interviews, even lifelong Republicans who cast a ballot for Mr. Romney four years ago rebelled against his message and plan. “I personally am disgusted by it — I think it’s disgraceful,” said Lola Butler, 71, a retiree from Mandeville, La., who cast a ballot for Mr. Romney in 2012. “You’re telling me who to vote for and who not to vote for? Please."

:ironicat:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Maoist Pussy posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/05/us/politics/donald-trump-republican-party.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

...At the Conservative Political Action Conference, a long-running gathering of traditional conservatives, attendees feared that they were witnessing an event that has not occurred in more than a century: the breaking apart of a major American political party. They spoke ruefully of “fidelity” lost and “values” forgone. They conceded a strange new feeling of powerlessness in the face of Mr. Trump’s ascendancy. ...

... "I want to see Trump go up there and do damage to the Republican Party,” said Jeff Walls, 53, of Flowood, Miss.

... Conservative talk radio shows lit up Friday with incensed callers who said they were “livid,” “mad” and “on the verge of tears” as they listened to Mr. Romney scoldingly describe what he called Mr. Trump’s misogyny, vulgarity and dishonesty, and urged them to abandon him.

There's no going back. The ground is shaking. A rift is opening.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Maoist Pussy posted:

This is the kind of poo poo that'll be quoted years from now right as Trump is invading Mexico after they continued to refuse to pay for the wall

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

porfiria posted:

What, fundamentally, is the establishment's issue with Trump? Is it:

A) He's not strictly a Conservative (the wall, tariffs)
B) They think Hillary will annihilate him
C) By becoming president (and maybe even by being nominated) he'd become the de facto head of the party and he's got no feeling obligation to them at all
D) They have some actual sense of moral responsibility (he might do pogroms)
E) They have absolutely no idea what he'd do once in office

He is massively upsetting the established norms(that the R's haven't upset over the past 6 years), and that is scaring them.

Probably everything else too, but when someone comes in flipping tables, you fight back.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Another fantastic example of each candidate fighting each other rather than Trump.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/04/politics/ted-cruz-marco-rubio-florida/index.html

quote:

Ted Cruz is going for the kill shot.

Cruz's aides and allies are preparing an aggressive effort to keep Marco Rubio from winning his home state of Florida on March 15, a blow they hope would render Rubio's path to the GOP nomination unimaginable and force him to withdraw. A Rubio loss, Cruz's orbit believes, would then set up the two-man race with Donald Trump they believe they are destined for -- and absolutely need -- to win. "Florida's a burning dumpster fire for Marco Rubio," said Cruz spokesman Ron Nehring. "If he doesn't win his own state, it's hard to rationalize going forward."

The strategy is not without risk: A Trump victory in Florida puts him 99 delegates closer to clinching the GOP nomination, weakening rivals' hopes of keeping him from reaching the delegate threshold and then defeating him at a brokered convention. And keeping Rubio from climbing is likely to cost millions of dollars. A February poll showed Rubio 16 points ahead of Cruz, but 16 points behind Trump, who led the field in the Quinnipiac University survey at 48%.

Cruz is planning to spend part of next week in Florida, and in recent days his campaign opened 10 offices across the state. Under the direction of one of the aides who engineered his Iowa win, deputy Iowa state director Spence Rogers, Cruz has 300 county chairs and his campaign is preparing to unveil major endorsements and a list of Cuban-American supporters in coming days.

He shouldn't be short of cash. Cruz will attend a major fundraiser Monday in Houston, and the main pro-Cruz super PAC, Keep the Promise, unveiled a new big-money group Friday meant to draw in top donors. Keep the Promise is expected to advertise heavily in Florida. With 10 media markets, Florida is one of the most expensive states in the country in which to advertise. Ten days out, the advertising war is frantic and escalating, as super PACs and campaigns empty their war chests on the first winner-take-all day on the GOP calendar. Paul Porter, a top Cruz fundraiser from Florida who helped set up Cruz's ground game in the state, said the race would now be dominated in part by negative advertisements.

Blake MacDiarmid, an unaligned Florida Republican strategist, said Team Cruz's overwhelming focus should be to "slice and dice" Rubio in Florida and make his home turf a "real Rubicon." "Train your super PACs and your messaging on Rubio and keep him from getting up and winning," said MacDiarmid. "If you give him a little bit of Gatorade, the guy can make it happen."

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Scalia dead and the GOP set to implode in a dramatic fashion. What a time to be alive.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

There's no going back. The ground is shaking. A rift is opening.

The skies darken. Thunder. Or is that Ted Cruz spewing putrid miasma again?

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Boon posted:

Another fantastic example of each candidate fighting each other rather than Drumpf.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/04/politics/ted-cruz-marco-rubio-florida/index.html

Isn't Trump polling way ahead of them both in Florida? Why would you spend money defeating someone that is losing anyway? How can professional politicians and organizers be so incompetent at running campaigns?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Cruz vs Trump vs Mitt. Whoever wins we win. Unless one of them beats Hillary, then we'll all die in nuclear fire.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Capt. Sticl posted:

Isn't Trump polling way ahead of them both in Florida? Why would you spend money defeating someone that is losing anyway? How can professional politicians and organizers be so incompetent at running campaigns?

Seems like Cruz wants to ensure Rubio is done. If he does that, he can claim to go one on one against Trump and make it a race.

Problem is, I suspect Kasich is not getting out of this race and is the most likely candidate for Rubio supporters to back.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

CommieGIR posted:

In US Diplomacy news, the 7th Fleet just sailed into the South China sea, along with the USS John C. Stennis Supercarrier and its escorts:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-us-navy-just-sailed-an-armada-of-warships-into-the-1762734867?rev=1457126184613

We're undergoing a Reichstag fire on the home front here (the populist is about to sink the GOP is what I'm getting at, which I think the Reichstag fire makes an okay metaphor here) and you want to talk about foreigners? :catstare:

Also, when did we get a Supercarrier?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Klaus88 posted:

We're undergoing a Reichstag fire on the home front here (the populist is about to sink the GOP is what I'm getting at, which I think the Reichstag fire makes an okay metaphor here) and you want to talk about foreigners? :catstare:

:ssh: Its just a Nimitz class.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

We've got 12.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Every little baron in the GOP wants to be king and they still think they can win alone against Trump. This is what happens when you become the party of a post factual world.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm still baffled by the sequence of thoughts that lead to someone voting for Obama over Romney, supporting Bernie and then saying they'll suppor Trump if Hillary wins the nomination. Its probably overblown, but the news of Hillary's IT guy getting immunity has me spooked. What do you think would happen if, when he loses the nomination, Bernie puts out a statement telling his disillusioned supporters to not not be a goddamn idiot and support Hillary?

Anyway, the only way I could see the GOP establishment taking down Trump is by having someone ostensibly moderate nuke their own career by running against Trump in the general as a third party. Kasich just said he'd back Trump so there goes that option.
Or if some respected pundits or politicians go with the even career-suicidier path of supporting Clinton.

Right now to me, the people switching to Trump are scarier than the people who were always in his camp.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The VAST majority of people who are "switching" to vote for Trump always end up voting Republican anyway. Or they end up not voting at all.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr Christmas posted:

What do you think would happen if, when he loses the nomination, Bernie puts out a statement telling his disillusioned supporters to not not be a goddamn idiot and support Hillary?

Most will listen to him. Of the ones that don't, most won't vote. Of those remaining ones, they'll probably vote for Jill Stein because her party thinks magic crystals are real.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

computer parts posted:

Most will listen to him. Of the ones that don't, most won't vote. Of those remaining ones, they'll probably vote for Jill Stein because her party thinks magic crystals are real.

This is exactly what the Bernout on my fb feed is threatening to do.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

This is exactly what the Bernout on my fb feed is threatening to do.

You can probably just ignore the person, it's just a feed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Capt. Sticl posted:

Isn't Drumpf polling way ahead of them both in Florida? Why would you spend money defeating someone that is losing anyway? How can professional politicians and organizers be so incompetent at running campaigns?

Cruz and Rubio and Kasich, if they did it literally RIGHT NOW, could form a coalition to oust Trump pretty handily.

But they won't because Cruz and Rubio are both entitled little babies who are mad the other is stealing the 'we got a Cuban you can't call us racists' glory and Kasich is a bitter little scumbag dedicated to being the spoiler all the way until winner take all states start

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

DolphinCop posted:

the theranos method:
-promise you'll disrupt medicine somehow
-massive valuation
-sucker someone into signing a partnership deal
-jettison your work force and split the cash with your investors

Liz paid for my wedding and much of my honeymoon. There was a certain level of scammers scamming scammers, but Theranos will always be OK in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Dr Christmas posted:

Right now to me, the people switching to Trump are scarier than the people who were always in his camp.
Yeah, and the mental gymnastics they're doing to rationalize it and kill off cognitive dissonance isn't just going to revert itself after/if he loses the nomination or the election, either. A lot of people who use to be borderline moderate Republican are radicalizing right now.

• Locked thread