Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

JacksLibido posted:

Dude that Bodhi Chen thing looks loving legit, I'm in. Which is cheapest/fastest, flying or train? What time of month works best for you? I just checked the Sumo schedule and it looks like there's going to be some matches starting 8 May in Tokyo? I definitely have to see a Sumo match, so you want me to come out early may or mid may?

-edit-
Google says Fukuoka is known for tonkotsu ramen, I LOVE tonkotsu ramen.

If you book ahead flying is usually cheaper but it would involve you getting all the way to Narita or Haneda from Yokosuka and then checking in and waiting for the plane so it really depends on how long it takes you to get to the airport but the flight itself is less than 2 hours. Train from Shin-Yokohama is 4 hours and 45 minutes and around 20,000 yen but you can use your phone most of the trip and the train is pretty awesome. Once you get to Fukuoka it doesn't really matter if you came by plane or by train because they are both on the same subway line and only 5 minutes apart.

I have a strange job so I can't actually guarantee I will be in town when you decide to visit but I can introduce you to folks who take care of you. If you love Tonkotsu ramen I know some decent spots that I can introduce you to and I will definitely take you to a yatai.

Also, the military presence in town is limited largely to Navy folks coming in to party from Sasebo. Every once in a while we got people coming in from Iwakuni but if you tell girls you are in the air force they will be impressed!

The Great Autismo! posted:

yo unironically do this, when i went out with Ned just for japanese food and beers we were surrounded by tables of cute girls in like every direction. Fukuoka owns.

I don't even think there were any other male customers in that place when we were there. There is only one restaurant that I go to on a regular basis that usually has more men than women. Everything else is just groups of girls. Especially if you go out before the salarymen types get off of work. But even then we don't have a lot of those in the Tenjin area - they are all stuck around Hakata station.

What we do have now is a shitload of cruise ships coming from China. In March 2013 we had two boats for the whole month with a total capacity of 1,300 passengers. March 2016 is 36 ships with an average capacity of 2,500+ and a decent number of them get hotels in the city so if you do decide to come try to book a hotel in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

like i love my wife and stuff but if i ever somehow fall through a wormhole and end up in another dimension that is very similar to this one, except that i am now single, the first thing i would do is move to fukuoka

Ned posted:

What we do have now is a shitload of cruise ships coming from China.

uhm, actually, let me rethink my previous statement

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

like i love my wife and stuff but if i ever somehow fall through a wormhole and end up in another dimension that is very similar to this one, except that i am now single, the first thing i would do is move to fukuoka

drat dude. I bet if you didn't have a wife you would have done some serious damage.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

drat dude. I bet if you didn't have a wife you would have done some serious damage.

at the very least i would have tried, bro!

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Ned posted:

If you book ahead flying is usually cheaper but it would involve you getting all the way to Narita or Haneda from Yokosuka and then checking in and waiting for the plane so it really depends on how long it takes you to get to the airport but the flight itself is less than 2 hours. Train from Shin-Yokohama is 4 hours and 45 minutes and around 20,000 yen but you can use your phone most of the trip and the train is pretty awesome. Once you get to Fukuoka it doesn't really matter if you came by plane or by train because they are both on the same subway line and only 5 minutes apart.

I have a strange job so I can't actually guarantee I will be in town when you decide to visit but I can introduce you to folks who take care of you. If you love Tonkotsu ramen I know some decent spots that I can introduce you to and I will definitely take you to a yatai.

Also, the military presence in town is limited largely to Navy folks coming in to party from Sasebo. Every once in a while we got people coming in from Iwakuni but if you tell girls you are in the air force they will be impressed!

I don't even think there were any other male customers in that place when we were there. There is only one restaurant that I go to on a regular basis that usually has more men than women. Everything else is just groups of girls. Especially if you go out before the salarymen types get off of work. But even then we don't have a lot of those in the Tenjin area - they are all stuck around Hakata station.

What we do have now is a shitload of cruise ships coming from China. In March 2013 we had two boats for the whole month with a total capacity of 1,300 passengers. March 2016 is 36 ships with an average capacity of 2,500+ and a decent number of them get hotels in the city so if you do decide to come try to book a hotel in advance.

Sounds like a plan. I'll pm you some of my details and we'll work something out. Thanks for helping!

Any other goons around/in between those areas who want to grab food/drinks?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Maybe I'm asking for the moon but,
does anybody know a great Korean restaurant in Shin Okubo (I think that's the name of the Korean district in Tokyo?) that doesn't have loud lcd screens wall to wall blaring out K pop?
Really love Korean food, but it would be nice to have it in a somewhat quiet place.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Ned posted:

. If you love Tonkotsu ramen I know some decent spots that I can introduce you to and I will definitely take you to a yatai.

Which ramen places? You've recommended mami-chan for yatai before but I also love ramen.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

ntan1 posted:

Which ramen places? You've recommended mami-chan for yatai before but I also love ramen.

Shin-shin seems to be the most popular these days as far as having a line in front of it. There is another Yatai in front of golds gym that suddenly started having a big line in front of it a few months ago. A lot of people like Ichiran ramen but I have never eaten there - to be honest I am not much of a ramen person.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Check out Mutekiya in Ikebukurou for some heavenly ramen. But be prepared for really long lines.
I didn't really bother trying to eat there before midnight when I was in Tokyo last Summer. :P

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Fukuoka, not Tokyo.

Although I've been to Mutekiya a few times when I was studying abroad.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Ichiran is very good, but be warned that it's not a social occasion - they put you in individual booths, just you and your bowl of soup, presumably to keep turnover high.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I've never thought of ramen as a social occasion

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ntan1 posted:

Man going to a Soba bar in London was annoying. I waited 40 minutes in line and it turns out people go there on "special dates" and linger forever. It's just soba, and nothing fancy or exotic. gently caress those guys.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
they do it in the bay area, california too and it's quite obnoxious

Anemone
Dec 28, 2008

piak piak
I waited in line for 3 hours to get Takoyaki at a Japanese festival in Berlin :/

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

ntan1 posted:

I dunno, seems like lots of Japanese people go for ramen after a night out drinking. So it's pretty social.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 5, 2016

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ErIog posted:

I dunno, seems like lots of Japanese people go to Ramen after a night out drinking. So it's pretty social.

caught pre-edit

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Ned posted:

Shin-shin seems to be the most popular these days as far as having a line in front of it. There is another Yatai in front of golds gym that suddenly started having a big line in front of it a few months ago. A lot of people like Ichiran ramen but I have never eaten there - to be honest I am not much of a ramen person.

Shin-Shin is worth the wait. Haven't had tonkotsu ramen that good ever in my life.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

caberham posted:

Man going to a Soba bar in London was annoying. I waited 40 minutes in line and it turns out people go there on "special dates" and linger forever. It's just soba, and nothing fancy or exotic. gently caress those guys.

don't order japanese food in london, or any other eastern food that isn't indian

preferably just don't be in london in the first place

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Soricidus posted:

don't order japanese food in london, or any other eastern food that isn't indian

preferably just don't be in london in the first place

I was in Europe for 3 weeks and London was a fun city to visit. It's one of the cultural capitals of the world and shouldn't be so easily dismissed.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

U jetlagged mate

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

I live in London and its poo poo

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
As part of my trip I posted about earlier, we're going to be staying in Yokosuka, near Oppama station, staying with my friend. I'd like to visit one of the lakes around Mt Fuji around this time, maybe Lake Kawaguchiko. Or maybe even Mt Hakone. Somewhere to get a good view of Fuji and cherry blossoms. Google maps is showing that a trip out there using trains etc. would take over 3.5 hrs. Does anyone know of any buses that go out there direct that aren't showing on google maps directions? We could leave from Oppama or Yokohama or anywhere around there.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Moving to Japan for a few months in April, to attend a language program. I had a few questions I was hoping to get answered here.

1) I've read that national insurance is mandatory, even if I'm already covered by an international insurance policy. My understanding is that the monthly premiums are based on past Japanese income, so for people who have never worked in Japan, it can be as low as 2000 a month. Is this accurate? Should I even bother with an international insurance service like Blue Cross?

2) I'm gonna be living in Shinjuku. What are some cool places to check out in Tokyo, and some must-sees in the country generally? I wanna hit some cultural spots plus some fun places like Tokyo DisneySea and the Ghibli Museum. Weeb poo poo welcome. I'll probably buy a rail pass or something when classes are over and spend a week or two visiting other cities. I'm eager and willing to try foods and see sights.

3) This is gonna be my first time in Japan. I'm mentally prepared for culture shock, and I've done some reading on etiquette, but is there any general advice about living in Japan you wish you had known about? I'm talking about how apparently people from the NHK will knock on your door and try to bully you into giving money, that sorta thing.

4) My girlfriend will be coming too. Is there anything a small, young-looking white girl should be especially wary of?

Thanks fellas.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You don't need to worry about that stuff for just a few months. If your school doesn't require you to enroll in national insurance, don't bother.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

peanut posted:

You don't need to worry about that stuff for just a few months. If your school doesn't require you to enroll in national insurance, don't bother.

Great, thanks a lot!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I pay 1300 yen a month for national health insurance. I think they'll raise it for next year but I think my dog tore up the envelope containing that information, so I guess I will just wait and see because gently caress calling the ward office and keigo'ing myself to a new envelope.

I actually think health insurance here is not such a bad deal, even coming from Holland, considering how cheap most doctor's visits are, and how generous they are with medication compared to Europe. Or maybe I just had a really stingy doctor in my own country.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
You probably (hopefully?) already know this, but health insurance payments are based on the previous year's income, so your first year in Japan it's dirt cheap. After that it becomes a fair bit more expensive.

There is also the obvious issue that if you stop working for whatever reason you have to keep paying like you are still making your old salary until June rolls around and they recalculate things.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 5, 2016

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

SpiderLink posted:

2) I'm gonna be living in Shinjuku. What are some cool places to check out in Tokyo, and some must-sees in the country generally? I wanna hit some cultural spots plus some fun places like Tokyo DisneySea and the Ghibli Museum. Weeb poo poo welcome. I'll probably buy a rail pass or something when classes are over and spend a week or two visiting other cities. I'm eager and willing to try foods and see sights.

Check japanguide.com for some basic recommendations. Also Timeout has a good Tokyo page that will show you (in English) what kinds of events and festivals are coming up. If you're in Tokyo on April 16th, I would recommend heading up to Asakusa. It's a popular tourist spot which you'll definitely hear about (if you haven't already), but the 16th has the annual horseback archery event in the nearby Sumida Park.

Obvious 'weeb' places would be Akihabara and/or Nakano Broadway (near Shinjuku). If you like Ghibli, you might want to check out this shop too: http://littlemissbento.com/2014/12/shirohige-totoro-cream-puff/. Beyond that, it really depends on what kind of stuff you're into. There's always some kind of gimmick restaurant or special event for practically anything popular.

On a different note, unless you come in on a tourist visa, I think you can't buy the 'JR Rail Pass' (the one that works across the whole country). There are other passes available that cover smaller areas though.

quote:

3) This is gonna be my first time in Japan. I'm mentally prepared for culture shock, and I've done some reading on etiquette, but is there any general advice about living in Japan you wish you had known about? I'm talking about how apparently people from the NHK will knock on your door and try to bully you into giving money, that sorta thing.

- A lot of people in Tokyo don't pay full attention to where they're going (looking at phone/book/etc.), so be prepared to have to dodge constantly or be willing to play chicken with practically everyone you encounter.
- There's no ban on smoking in enclosed public spaces in Tokyo. If being in a smoky bar or restaurant is not an issue for you, no problem, but if it is, you'll need to take care. Some bars/restaurants do not allow smoking (or at least have separate areas), but there's no consistent rule.
- Don't be a vegetarian. Shops and restaurants in Japan don't really cater for vegetarian diets as much as some other countries (e.g. no labeling systems, staff are uninformed, etc.) so if you (or your girlfriend) have any special dietary requirements, you'd probably need someone's help.
- You might be required to take your shoes off at a moment's notice (not just people's houses, but many Japanese izakaya and restaurants also require it).

Stuff like the NHK man coming for you is unlikely if you're only here a few months (I didn't get my first visit until the end of my second year).

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I had been planning to get a PASMO card for public transit but should I get a JR Pass as well even if I don't plan to visit a ton of cities? I will be mainly visiting Tokyo and Kyoto, is it worth it just for the round trip between them? Or can it be used to travel within Tokyo as well, somehow?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Jesus loving Christ

http://www.insidekyoto.com/japan-rail-pass-is-it-worth-it

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
:3:

Also I have read that page but the reason I'm asking is because I've seen some ~conflicting opinions~ regarding its value if you don't plan to travel between a million cities

netcat fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 5, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You just come out slightly on top if it's a round trip. And there's the perk of JR trains being free.

However, if you are just going Tokyo and Kyoto, the greatest value is flying open jaw and not making the return trip.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Since I need to get a 14 day pass it might not be worth it on cost alone but it should still be convenient.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

DiscoJ posted:

- Don't be a vegetarian. Shops and restaurants in Japan don't really cater for vegetarian diets as much as some other countries (e.g. no labeling systems, staff are uninformed, etc.) so if you (or your girlfriend) have any special dietary requirements, you'd probably need someone's help.

It's pretty impossible.

If you ask for no meat expect to get bacon at most places - bacon is a veggie apparently.

If you ask if the soup has no meat in it - also ask what kind of stock it's made from. Most soups (ramen, etc.) have some pork stock.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Don't be a picky eater is pretty good advice for traveling in general.

mystes
May 31, 2006

netcat posted:

:3:

Also I have read that page but the reason I'm asking is because I've seen some ~conflicting opinions~ regarding its value if you don't plan to travel between a million cities
I think it really depends on your exact plans. If you're going to do a round trip between Tokyo and Kyoto within one seven day period it's probably worth it to get a 7 day pass for that period, especially if you will be doing other trips on JR during that period, but not necessary for the whole time you're in Japan. If you're going to be in Japan longer but will be traveling around little by little, it might not be worth it.

Basically, I would figure out how much you're going to want to ride on the shinkansen and work it out from there.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
For anyone that's been to the Ghibli museum: what is a reasonable amount of time to spend there? We have a tickets for 10AM, would like to make a booking at the owl cafe nearby, but unsure of what time to book for.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
It's been a few years since I went, but I think you can see everything at a leisurely pace and be done in about three hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Try the beer there. It's surprisingly good and the bottle is beautiful.

And show up to whatever booking even 5 min before start. One thing I like about Japan is how on time everyone is. I was surprised that some restaurants refuse walk ins even when people are late and the tables are empty