Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
has lowtax unbanned keep it real yet? :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Haskell9 posted:

has lowtax unbanned keep it real yet? :synpa:
Debt first

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
just to add:

I wasn't expecting what I was suggesting to be done in a year, or even a few years....I guess my real question was:

Now things seem to be going ok, what are the next steps? Be it financial, tech, features, I don't know.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Why does Radium still get to ban folks for posting the banned thread tags? Is the code that buried for it?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

zen death robot posted:

Yes that Munin is used to cache the counters that show how many users are currently in a subforum. A whole different script runs through and cleans up old sessions in the DB.

If I were you I would be literally shaking while recalling something like that. The Zen thing must be more than just a name. Well, the forums seem to be working pretty good so :cheers:

spud posted:

Now things seem to be going ok, what are the next steps? Be it financial, tech, features, I don't know.

Also what is the ETA? :haw:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Why does Radium still get to ban folks for posting the banned thread tags? Is the code that buried for it?

From the other thread:

Lowtax posted:

it's just legacy poo poo. plus when idiots get autobanned, then they can get mad at radium

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

zen death robot posted:

Re-writing the core of the forums is something that'll have to be done at some point, but there's no way to give an ETA on that.

:colbert:

You're not fooling me a second time Radium

:colbert:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

zen death robot posted:

Re-writing the core of the forums is something that'll have to be done at some point, but there's no way to give an ETA on that.

Time to do some maintenance on the zen death robot. The subliminal programming in the codebase of horror may have started to have an effect. :cheeky:

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013

Broken Machine posted:

Here's another radium debug sample that came up a while ago on YOSPOS:

You would have to be mean and probably fairly unstable to leave someone an application written like that

Holy gently caress I retract my previous.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

zen death robot posted:

Re-writing the core of the forums is something that'll have to be done at some point, but there's no way to give an ETA on that. It'll have to be done in a way that's compatible with the database schema and basically replaces the template engine that sits behind the scenes. It's not as bad as it might sound, it's just going to take a bit of effort. I think the first priority is to clean up what's there and to make a mobile site functional (I added some libraries and made it so lowtax can actually go work on that part now) so it'll auto-detect a device instead of needing to be toggled in the user control panel. You know like a site should work in 2012. Getting some of the low-hanging stuff out there for everyone to use seems like a better way to go than to disappear down the insanity hole for 6 months to re-write everything without there being anything new to look at. Replacing the templating engine is not gonna be fun at all, and honestly there's not much of a choice because of the legacy data that's there. It can be done though - it's just gonna take time.
Wow. You're an idiot. Why don't you just upgrade to the latest version of vB? That will solve everything, moron.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lowtax posted:

Wow. You're an idiot. Why don't you just upgrade to the latest version of vB? That will solve everything, moron.

please fire him

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
You can use a services oriented method of interfacing old callers with new services through a web service. Then as you completely abandon the need to call the web service, retire that method/tear down the scaffolding and move onto the next "piece"/feature/page/module.

If you break it up that way you may be able to throw in stabs of what's involved:

1. Create Service Methods that make sense.
2. Update old rear end code to call Service Methods instead of the gooblygook it does now.

Next piece.

Then go back and:

1. Migrate this functionality/page/feature to the "new world" with better HTML/CSS/Code quality/Patterns/best practices whatever you can
2. Retire (remove) old page/codeblock

First go through and see what is involved and create Projects, sub-tasks, and group projects into logical orders based on any dependencies. Create ETA per task. Now you can ballpark it.

Good luck!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

dad gay. so what posted:

please fire him
I'm going to once I get him to figure out where my trees went

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
i burnt them to get high

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shadow posted:

i burnt them to get high

ahaha nice

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

zen death robot posted:

I'm still cloudifying everything - the fourms themselves were actually easy. The images server, store and front page are a loving nightmare tangled web of code and servers that I had to untangle first, then replicate piece by piece over on the new stuff. It takes a LONG time for the ancient rear end images server to churn through 15+ years worth of files too - the first sync took over 24 hours and it wasn't even close to being a bandwidth issue it just took that long for it to go through all the files it contained.

There's also the deal where the OS of choice was either an outdated version of Ubuntu or a hilariously outdated version of CentOS so yeah I've been dragging all this poo poo kicking and screaming into the modern era. It's been a blast.

Re-writing the core of the forums is something that'll have to be done at some point, but there's no way to give an ETA on that. It'll have to be done in a way that's compatible with the database schema and basically replaces the template engine that sits behind the scenes. It's not as bad as it might sound, it's just going to take a bit of effort. I think the first priority is to clean up what's there and to make a mobile site functional (I added some libraries and made it so lowtax can actually go work on that part now) so it'll auto-detect a device instead of needing to be toggled in the user control panel. You know like a site should work in 2012. Getting some of the low-hanging stuff out there for everyone to use seems like a better way to go than to disappear down the insanity hole for 6 months to re-write everything without there being anything new to look at. Replacing the templating engine is not gonna be fun at all, and honestly there's not much of a choice because of the legacy data that's there. It can be done though - it's just gonna take time.

God drat, man. That's insanity.

Do you have some choice samples of radium's code? That poo poo has got to be hilarious.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Lowtax posted:

Debt first

What debt? If this debt is paid, will you formally unban keep it real?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Serious question: Is there any plan in the future to make a proper API for apps to tie into?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I think it'd be cool to have an api so I could write an alert when someone posts something I'd find interesting but I can't imagine there being an incentive for sa the business

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

Infinitum posted:

Holy gently caress this is the spergiest loving poo poo I've seen in a long arse time :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrJDJ-mZr70

He's doing checkups on elevators :stonk:

He's named the elevators :stonklol:

weird, i was just there last weekend. i took the stairs.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Haskell9 posted:

What debt? If this debt is paid, will you formally unban keep it real?

Debt was a poster here and you don't gently caress with him.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Someone will make an app that shows all the threads that can be firstposted or synpa,d

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

origami posted:

Debt was a poster here and you don't gently caress with him.

The gently caress I don't. UNBAN KEEP IT REAL

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
remember Forever Bans? The bans where people were banned until Duke Nukem Forever came out? were those ever rescinded

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lowtax posted:

I'm going to once I get him to figure out where my trees went

i think thats the key

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

remember Forever Bans? The bans where people were banned until Duke Nukem Forever came out? were those ever rescinded

They weren't real so yes.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

dad gay. so what posted:

zen death robot is a good man

zen death robot is BEST death robot. I can't say it enough.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Haskell9 posted:

They weren't real so yes.

well dammit why not, it seems just the dumb weird side project radium would do while not working on search :mad:

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

carrion kit posted:

weird, i was just there last weekend. i took the stairs.

post ur video review jackass

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

zen death robot posted:

I'm still cloudifying everything - the fourms themselves were actually easy. The images server, store and front page are a loving nightmare tangled web of code and servers that I had to untangle first, then replicate piece by piece over on the new stuff. It takes a LONG time for the ancient rear end images server to churn through 15+ years worth of files too - the first sync took over 24 hours and it wasn't even close to being a bandwidth issue it just took that long for it to go through all the files it contained.

There's also the deal where the OS of choice was either an outdated version of Ubuntu or a hilariously outdated version of CentOS so yeah I've been dragging all this poo poo kicking and screaming into the modern era. It's been a blast.

Have you found a script that is nothing but a million IF statements yet?

DICKLORD BONE
Aug 27, 2003

Haskell9 posted:

The gently caress I don't. UNBAN KEEP IT REAL

tender is the night

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shadow posted:

You can use a services oriented method of interfacing old callers with new services through a web service. Then as you completely abandon the need to call the web service, retire that method/tear down the scaffolding and move onto the next "piece"/feature/page/module.

If you break it up that way you may be able to throw in stabs of what's involved:

1. Create Service Methods that make sense.
2. Update old rear end code to call Service Methods instead of the gooblygook it does now.

Next piece.

Then go back and:

1. Migrate this functionality/page/feature to the "new world" with better HTML/CSS/Code quality/Patterns/best practices whatever you can
2. Retire (remove) old page/codeblock

First go through and see what is involved and create Projects, sub-tasks, and group projects into logical orders based on any dependencies. Create ETA per task. Now you can ballpark it.

Good luck!
or just use rails imo

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
oh dear, that filename says so much

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

oh dear, that filename says so much

sad loving thing is this is something tons of old PHP stuff did. I think even phpBB had a functions.php. PHP is a garbage language that produces garbage.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ZDR was there ever a point when you were first put in charge of the forums that you considered just walling off all the old poo poo, calling it archives, and starting fresh? Just import the user database and start the gently caress over without stolen trees and HAMPRINCES?

Like the sheer amount of poo poo Radium must have left behind sounds.. yeah.
No documentation what-so-ever? You poor poor man.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

well dammit why not, it seems just the dumb weird side project radium would do while not working on search :mad:

I thought those were just joke avatars

also radium's coding style sounds like something I'd do because I've never coded before and would definitely do something as obtuse and dumb like that.

Edit: it really sounds like radium was either crazy or clueless and scrambling to hide it or both. I'm amazed the site's survived tbh

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Cowman posted:

I thought those were just joke avatars

also radium's coding style sounds like something I'd do because I've never coded before and would definitely do something as obtuse and dumb like that.

Edit: it really sounds like radium was either crazy or clueless and scrambling to hide it or both. I'm amazed the site's survived tbh

Yeah while I'm not saying it can't be for malicious reasons, but if he is a copy coder/someone who doesn't like looking up functions or tutorials this is the kind of code you get. The joke errors are added because you're slowly going insane by your own code (and you honestly don't know what to call the errors because you don't look poo poo up).

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Lowtax posted:

hehehe going through my old chatlogs on AIM:

Sounds like he was really unprofessional. But then again he was some kid who barely knew what a logical AND was. I think there's some blame to go around on both sides.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Gazpacho posted:

or just use rails imo

Why didn't you use MongoDB? MongoDB is a web scale database, and doesn't use SQL or JOINs, so it's high-performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

probably because it was 15 loving years ago you genius

• Locked thread