Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
bang, boom, explodet :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Red Red Blue posted:

You can play as Alena, who is the coolest

I just got this game and she's great. Inward to battle!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

As for puns, DQ in Japanese isn't necessarily a very punny game at all, with regards to how punny the Japanese language tends to be overall to English. It feels like what i've seen from the US localizations try way too hard sometimes. Especially DQ5 trying to for no good reason equate all the regions of the game with regions of the actual real world w/ speech mannerisms and such. I guess the English language writers feel the script is too dry, and like to resort to cheese to liven it up. I'd probably prefer it to be a bit dryer, but well written IMO.

I think it's more that DQ8 had accents but actual voice acting to go along with it, so when DQ4 came around they deliberately made the accents overdone so you could still get the same feel to compensate for the lack of voice acting. At least that's what I remember reading.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Adding wacky Russian accents into DQ is the smartest thing any localization team has done for the series.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Seeing DQ Heroes on sale on Steam and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it. Anything I should know beforehand?

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

bang, boom, explodet :kimchi:

Don't forget Big Bang in the DQM games. :eng101:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you have a Wii U you'll be able to download DQX for free ffrom March 14-31.

They're also doing cross-promotion with Splatoon; there are some in-game Splatoon shirts available for a limited time, and the next JP Splatfest is DQ-themed:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BabyRyoga posted:

As for puns, DQ in Japanese isn't necessarily a very punny game at all, with regards to how punny the Japanese language tends to be overall to English.
...so they don't have the Zere/Zere Rocks pun?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

slime vs healslime is a way boring choice for splatfest, at least do slime vs golem

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't know how anyone couldn't like regional dialects in Dragon Quest. The first time I saw it it was like a revelation. Until then, I never realized that you travel the world in every other RPG and everyone has the same accent.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Brother Entropy posted:

slime vs healslime is a way boring choice for splatfest, at least do slime vs golem

Oh, I should have mentioned the actual question - it's asking about your play style, with the options being the equivalents of All-Out and Life is Precious.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Oh, I should have mentioned the actual question - it's asking about your play style, with the options being the equivalents of All-Out and Life is Precious.

oh

that sounds more interesting but also weird from a series like dragon quest

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

As for puns, DQ in Japanese isn't necessarily a very punny game at all, with regards to how punny the Japanese language tends to be overall to English. It feels like what i've seen from the US localizations try way too hard sometimes. Especially DQ5 trying to for no good reason equate all the regions of the game with regions of the actual real world w/ speech mannerisms and such. I guess the English language writers feel the script is too dry, and like to resort to cheese to liven it up. I'd probably prefer it to be a bit dryer, but well written IMO.

DQ's Japanese prose isn't very punny, no, but I wouldn't call it dry either. It really stands out in a world of seriously boring, bog-standard RPG prose (looking at you, Final Fantasy) - it always had its own unique playful tone that's unlike most Japanese game writing, and it has always been very silly and aware of itself. The problem is that this specific tone is a little hard to pull off in English without sounding juvenile, so the translations tried different things. I'm not a fan of medieval-speech for DQ, since it's pretty much the polar opposite of what the original text sounds like, but I can see how adding pun-based humor can work really well.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Great puns are humanity's foremost achievement and proof that we are an englightened species.

Pry those puns from our cold dead fingers.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If you have a Wii U you'll be able to download DQX for free ffrom March 14-31.

... In Japan??

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, sorry, I thought that was self-evident.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Bongo Bill posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes is on Steam sale this weekend. Sell this game to me.

I bought it used at Gamestop for PS4 and feel like I've gotten more than my money's worth, considering my only exposure to the entire series was Dragon Warrior 2 on NES and DQ8 on PS2.

Alena's pretty awesome. Jessica's overpowered. Kiryl's Thwack doesn't work. Maya is fanservice. Terry is pretty angsty and I'm certain he would listen to Linkin Park.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Dr.Smasher posted:

Alena's pretty awesome. Jessica's overpowered. Kiryl's Thwack doesn't work. Maya is fanservice. Terry is pretty angsty and I'm certain he would listen to Linkin Park.

These are all accurate statements to their respective games. Terry is like pure edgy 90s anime character and it's great.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Terry is basically Sonic, if Sonic was a selfish pessimist.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
So, Shadow then.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dr.Smasher posted:

Kiryl's Thwack doesn't work.

Some things never change. :allears:

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Anyone else import Dragon Quest Builders?

I'm a few hours in and it was pretty easy to grasp even without any knowledge of Japanese, but I seem to have hit a wall where I'm not sure what to do. I used the downtime to kill the green dragon on the first island and now I have a sick green couch.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Since amazon.jp now ships games worldwide I will probably import it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I was gonna give builders a shot, but it's pretty expensive (for the ps4 version), and there is a lot for me to play right now. Minecrafty type games aren't usually my thing, but builders at least has a story and sidequests/etc to follow.

Joker 3 will be marathoned the day it comes out, which is in just under 2 weeks. It might be most anticipated game of the year for me, even with Star Ocean coming out a week later.

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008

The Machine posted:

Anyone else import Dragon Quest Builders?

I'm a few hours in and it was pretty easy to grasp even without any knowledge of Japanese, but I seem to have hit a wall where I'm not sure what to do. I used the downtime to kill the green dragon on the first island and now I have a sick green couch.

Which part are you at? I recently beat the game.

Starting in April, tickets for the Dragon Quest museum will be for sale. I'm thinking about going to Japan just to go to the museum. Does anyone know where I could purchase the tickets when they are released?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dragon Quest Museum???

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008

In Training posted:

Dragon Quest Museum???

Yup. It opens sometime in July and lasts until September 11th.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SlimeSanction posted:

and lasts until September 11th.

the real tragedy of that day

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I want to play dq5 and 6. What is the better way to play them, translated super famicom Roms or the DS releases?

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Bigass Moth posted:

I want to play dq5 and 6. What is the better way to play them, translated super famicom Roms or the DS releases?

I would say the iOS/Android rereleases if you have one of those.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

The DS version is the superior choice for both by far.

The mobile ports are based on the DS version too.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DS if you think you'll have a problem with touchscreen controls, iOS/Android if you expect it'll be fine or don't want to spend as much money. Those versions are basically identical, and superior to the SFC versions.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i just beat ds version of 5 and it was a great experience.

graduated to rocketslime now. loving amazing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DQV was the first one I played and still my favorite prolly. VIII is close though

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

DQV was the first one I played and still my favorite prolly. VIII is close though

yeah thanks for the rec last summer/fall on it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

double :shrug:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
DQIV is probably the best to start with, since it has Alena and Alena is the best.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Real hurthling! posted:

graduated to rocketslime now. loving amazing.

Rocket Slime is great and everybody in this thread who hasn't played it should really play it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Finished the main story of Joker 3 in about 25 hours. The story in the monsters series is usually pretty lame, and this was no exception. Now is when I can really start getting cool monsters and properly doing the multiplayer, though. Let's see if it ends up being as good as 3DS DQM2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Japanese PSN store has a 15% off everything promotion for the rest of March. Is DQB playable without knowing Japanese? I got through the demo ok but some quests tripped me up trying to figure out what I needed to do. Wondering if anything gets too involved later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Holy poo poo. It appears that when you use super-fusion in Joker 3, you can give size 2, 3 and 4 monsters size 1 monster bodies. In the previous game, you could only size up smaller monsters, not shrink down big ones. Incoming mini Estarks and Slime Cancers!

The competitive value of this is insane, the customization on monster traits allows for WAY more options this time around. Multiplayer will be a clusterfuck.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 25, 2016