Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Dors getting married actually do anything? Like will she cook for you or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

drunken officeparty posted:

Dors getting married actually do anything? Like will she cook for you or something?

Yeah. They'll also sometimes water plants for you if you still have anything not covered by sprinklers.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Have only been through a week or so but so far each day it seems she's picked one 'thing' to do at the beginning of each day, like cook breakfast or 'feed' the animals (i have autofeed buildings soooo thanks) or water some crops. Not huge benefits it seems so far.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Is the catfish that rare? I found one randomly digging through the trash and I threw it to the bin since I figured it wasn't that rare. :ohdear:

Kyte fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 5, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Kyte posted:

Is the catfish that rare? I found one randomly digging through the trash and I threw it to the bin since I figured it wasn't that rare. :eek:

You threw it in the bin instead of throwing it in the bundle?

It's an uncommon fish. It's not exactly rare but it's good as a bundle fish. Or for selling it.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

yeah catfish was a huge pain in the rear end to get for me, since it's like only in the rain in the river in like 1 or 2 seasons or something, and on top of that it's one of the harder basic fish to catch so even if you do hook one you may not reel it in.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah. They'll also sometimes water plants for you if you still have anything not covered by sprinklers.

Sprinklers are cheating

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Kyte posted:

Is the catfish that rare? I found one randomly digging through the trash and I threw it to the bin since I figured it wasn't that rare. :eek:

It's not actually super rare but it doesn't show up in the summer and doesn't bite terribly often when you go fishing for it.

In other news, I have joined the Glacierfish Haver Club. Mutant Carp is next on the agenda.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

IAmTheRad posted:

You threw it in the bin instead of throwing it in the bundle?

It's an uncommon fish. It's not exactly rare but it's good as a bundle fish. Or for selling it.

I mean the shipping bin. I sold it. It was day.. 5 or so, I haven't unlocked the bundles yet.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Nnnoooo why did ConcernedApe roll back the Zoom feature :(

:rip: zoom you were too good for this world

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Managed to get 101 in the first year fair without even planning for it

The jelly is pomegranate jelly :shobon:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Why aren't my chickens eating the hay? It's just been sitting in the trough for a few days. I'm still getting eggs though.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

it's actually bullshit that you lose the stuff you take to the fall fair grange display, with all the cash worth of items you could just play the fishing game 5 times and get the 1k points. still do it just to show up that rear end in a top hat pierre tho

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Indecisive posted:

it's actually bullshit that you lose the stuff you take to the fall fair grange display, with all the cash worth of items you could just play the fishing game 5 times and get the 1k points. still do it just to show up that rear end in a top hat pierre tho

You can retrieve your items after the judging is over. I forgot and walked out :negative:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Tarezax posted:

You can retrieve your items after the judging is over. I forgot and walked out :negative:

well gently caress

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Hey for you guys talking about catfish, i finally upgraded my axe today and got access to the forest by the wizard's tower, and fished up 3 catfish in a row from the pond in there. It was like 12-4pmish during fall and it was raining. Also got a walleye.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is there any reason to upgrade to the Golden Axe other than chopping trees faster?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

trees fall in 4 hits (stumps in 2) so you clear them in 6 chops instead of 9, saves time and energy, it's pretty nice

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Does wine made from higher quality fruit sell for more?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Harmburger posted:

Does wine made from higher quality fruit sell for more?

Yep. Wines / juices / jellies / pickles apply a multiplier to the fruit's value.

Edit:
Wine is 3x fruit value
Juice is 2.25x veg value
Pickles and jellies are 50g + 2x value

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 5, 2016

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
A friend of mine has been following this game's development for its entirety and has been raving about it since release day. I like Harvest Moon and Rune Factory, but sort of forgot about this until he reminded me.

I have a terrible plague and my doctor ordered me to stay home from work this week, so what better way to spend my time than on the couch with my laptop and hours of farming?

I'm really having fun with this and am probably doing a terrible job farming, but I like my little corner of the valley! I'm concerned I won't get the community center bundles done before two years are up, especially since I have no animals and I'm in fall of year 1 already. I don't honestly want animals, but I guess I have to in order to fulfill all the bundles. Wasn't there a slaughter option, though? Having a steak farm would be pretty awesome.

I think for future content, I'd really like to have the ability to go on dates like in RF4. It would add some cute and fun extra elements to marriage and dating instead of "Here are flowers, I like you." "Okay, I'm just going to continue to talk to you about frogs and boring things like this never happened." The mail system is really missing a great opportunity by not being able to receive love letters from people you're dating, too! That would be adorable. :3:

Question: I see a few people have married Sebastian already. How did you trigger the ten heart event? I've supposedly done everything right and it just refuses to happen for me. I'm not sure if it's a bug or if I'm missing a flag. :sigh: I may have to just start showering gifts on his best bud until he comes around.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I hit level 10 farming and got Artisan the last week of fall. I am going to make so much money off Pale Ale, Mayonnaise, and Cheese this winter while finishing the mine. I got the second house upgrade too, so the only major expenses left are getting the stable and upgrading my barn and coop.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I'm currently midway through Autumn and only just upgraded my backpack. I never noticed it sitting on the bench in the shop so I thought it was just a bug or something that stopped it from appearing in the shopkeeper dialogue :negative:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm currently midway through Autumn and only just upgraded my backpack. I never noticed it sitting on the bench in the shop so I thought it was just a bug or something that stopped it from appearing in the shopkeeper dialogue :negative:

Don't worry my friend. I noticed it but didn't realize I could build chests so I lived on half an inventory bar for most of my spring until I bought the pack. I only realized chests were a thing sometime in the summer.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Isn't one of the first quests telling you to build a chest?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Isn't one of the first quests telling you to build a chest?

Nope. Scarecrow.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Cheese Pain posted:

I'm really having fun with this

Question: I see a few people have married Sebastian already. How did you trigger the ten heart event? I've supposedly done everything right and it just refuses to happen for me. I'm not sure if it's a bug or if I'm missing a flag. :sigh: I may have to just start showering gifts on his best bud until he comes around.

First off, how dare you derive enjoyment from a video game. Did you give Sebastian flowers yet? Might be a bug too as I've had to rewatch various heart level cutscenes multiple times. Also, if a villager is at 10/10 hearts, their friendship level is locked and won't slowly deprecate.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Why aren't my chickens eating the hay? It's just been sitting in the trough for a few days. I'm still getting eggs though.

If they're able to go outside and theres some available they're eating grass. They only need hay on days where it rains or in winter.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Does anyone know any way to edit a save or anything to change a quest's status? I bugged out the Qi's Challenge quest by going to level 25 the very first time I entered the Skeleton Dungeon. Now I have the quest but I can't complete it because I completed it before I ever got the quest.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

Keshik posted:

Does anyone know any way to edit a save or anything to change a quest's status? I bugged out the Qi's Challenge quest by going to level 25 the very first time I entered the Skeleton Dungeon. Now I have the quest but I can't complete it because I completed it before I ever got the quest.

You can open the save files in notepad or wordpad. I used it to give myself more wood for a fence I was building obsessively, and because I just like to know how things work/are made :ohdear: (Note: there are two save files AND two different places you have to change numbers). If you give me a few minutes I can dig around and see if there's any way to change quest status- i know they're listed in the save file toward the top.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Keshik posted:

the skull cave doesn't save levels, you start at the beginning every time. once you get that quest all you have to do is reach level 25 again.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
^^^ I haven't actually made it to the skull cave yet, but that's useful information. Now, if a quest really bugs for anyone, they seem to be comprised like this in the save files* (boring, non-spoilery example):

<Quest><currentObjective>Reach level 40 in the mines.</currentObjective><questDescription>It seems that the mine elevator is still functional. It will allow you to quickly return to any elevator doors you've discovered. A deeper expedition might be in order.</questDescription><questTitle>Deeper In The Mine</questTitle><rewardDescription>-1</rewardDescription><accepted>false</accepted><completed>false</completed><dailyQuest>false</dailyQuest><showNew>false</showNew><canBeCancelled>false</canBeCancelled><destroy>false</destroy><id>17</id><moneyReward>0</moneyReward><questType>1</questType><daysLeft>0</daysLeft><nextQuests><int>18</int></nextQuests></Quest>

If you needed to change the status of a quest, you would need to go into both save files and change "<completed>false</completed>" to "<completed>true</completed>", as far as I can tell. IANAGD (I am not a game dev), but that seems like it'd do the trick if something got stuck or bugged out. I have no idea if it'd screw up things related to the quests, either; it seems like a "try at your own risk" sorta thing.

*- your save files are in "C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Stardew Valley

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 5, 2016

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

DurosKlav posted:

If they're able to go outside and theres some available they're eating grass. They only need hay on days where it rains or in winter.

Also they eat grass in the morning/when you let them out but they won't eat hay until night sometime. So you can, I think, not put hay out if it is going to rain the next day if you let them out to eat the day before.

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?
I'm experiencing those weird frame drops, anyone else in the same boat? Basicly the game runs at 60 fps, but from time to time it drops to exactly 42 and stays there. The game then feels really slugish und slow until it goes back to 60 FPS. I've got an i5/r9 280, which I assume would be more than enough.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Cheese Pain posted:

Haha, I'm not surprised you're going for Sebastian

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Gearing up for my brew-stravaganza. Up to 50 kegs so far, shooting for more to convert all these horded fruits.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Johnny Joestar posted:

the skull cave doesn't save levels, you start at the beginning every time. once you get that quest all you have to do is reach level 25 again.

I've done it. It doesn't work.

Thank you, Freakbox and

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

puschel posted:

I'm experiencing those weird frame drops, anyone else in the same boat? Basicly the game runs at 60 fps, but from time to time it drops to exactly 42 and stays there. The game then feels really slugish und slow until it goes back to 60 FPS. I've got an i5/r9 280, which I assume would be more than enough.

I get this as well. Gives me a headache.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Haha, wow. http://steamspy.com/app/413150

SteamSpy, I know, but 200k units sold.

The massive amount of sites gushing about the game seems to be doing wonders for it and I wish ConcernedApe all the best with his new fortune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got fuckin rejected at the flower dance