Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

One thing that's helped me a lot is just keeping in mind that it is an illness, and that therefore I can't trust my brain to properly interpret reality, so I rely on people around me to confirm or deny whatever dumb thing my brain's telling me. (It also helps to reframe things as, "OK, would I hate some other person based on these criteria? No? Then you can go to hell, brain.")

The condition won't go away completely, but it stays for shorter times, and it's easier to claw my way back to something resembling "normal human."

Sorry for the mental health derail; it's something pretty important to me. (Though it's at least somewhat tangential in that a lot of critics see to have some level of depression.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Let's talk about House!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r2mxap9QL8

Which, since they mentionned it at the beginning of the video, I was disappointed wasn't a video about Hausu.

https://vimeo.com/110502648

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Puppy Time posted:

One thing that's helped me a lot is just keeping in mind that it is an illness, and that therefore I can't trust my brain to properly interpret reality, so I rely on people around me to confirm or deny whatever dumb thing my brain's telling me. (It also helps to reframe things as, "OK, would I hate some other person based on these criteria? No? Then you can go to hell, brain.")

The condition won't go away completely, but it stays for shorter times, and it's easier to claw my way back to something resembling "normal human."

Sorry for the mental health derail; it's something pretty important to me. (Though it's at least somewhat tangential in that a lot of critics see to have some level of depression.)

That sounds more like schizophrenia than depression, TBH. You may want to talk to your doctor.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That sounds more like schizophrenia than depression, TBH. You may want to talk to your doctor.

Not really. Invasive thoughts like "you are poo poo", "these people are lying to you so they can make sure you know you're poo poo later", and "everything is awful and also you're poo poo" are pretty common with depression. That needs external validation because your brain's doing everything it can to make you think you're poo poo.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

No, it really doesn't.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Nah, honest to god clinical depression is crippling and it becomes incredibly difficult to even function in real life. The big thing is that you are your own worst enemy and it only takes a small problem for it to just come crashing down on you.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

MonsieurChoc posted:

Let's talk about House!

Which, since they mentionned it at the beginning of the video, I was disappointed wasn't a video about Hausu.

If I may say this without sounding creepy, Allison you look absolutely gorgeous in the new intro.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Rapidly Going Deaf › Internet Critic Discussion Thread: Lets talk about Depression!!!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So just to put this out there but LordKat is probably genuinely one of the worst people I've ever had the displeasure of ever enjoying any content from. That last video of his was all one big troll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAooW7FKlsg

Looks like we all got played. gently caress you Jason. You are genuinely a bad person and anyone who willing associates with you is just as bad as you are. I know I shouldn't be but I'm genuinely loving angry about this right now. I got trolled so hard so good loving job you worthless piece of poo poo excuse for a human being.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tracula posted:

So just to put this out there but LordKat is probably genuinely one of the worst people I've ever had the displeasure of ever enjoying any content from. That last video of his was all one big troll.

Looks like we all got played. gently caress you Jason. You are genuinely a bad person and anyone who willing associates with you is just as bad as you are. I know I shouldn't be but I'm genuinely loving angry about this right now. I got trolled so hard so good loving job you worthless piece of poo poo excuse for a human being.

:shepicide:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

MonsieurChoc posted:

Let's talk about House!

Which, since they mentioned it at the beginning of the video, I was disappointed wasn't a video about Hausu.

I've heard of this movie before, through an old NES game called Dr. Chaos, which had some similarities to House. I forgot that it was directed by Fred Dekker, who also directed Monster Squad (another horror-comedy).

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tracula posted:

what a gigantic piece of poo poo, making people think that he realised how much of a dickhead he was and then just going "nope, I was just messing with you"

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Wow. What a shitstain.

Carbon Tiger
Nov 4, 2008

DStecks posted:

Wow. What a shitstain.

He really has nothing resembling a life at all does he? There's only so many hours in the day between work and sleep to spend what little time you have getting down to the business of living. With limited time in this world THIS is what he does with it, try to con a bunch of people into thinking that maybe he wasn't some spiteful dead end nobody who spends his free time trashing people. That maybe there was more in his soul then ash and broken rocks.

I can't imagine living my life that filed with impenitent useless rage at the world I imagine its quite exhausting.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I don't think I've ever really despised an Internet Person as much as I despise LordKat at this moment.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't think I've ever really despised an Internet Person as much as I despise LordKat at this moment.

I really agree. I might bitch about Doug or Spoony or whatever but at least there's something there to redeem them. This son of a bitch is truly repulsive for this loving stunt he pulled and his friends are just as bad, if not worse than he is, for going along with it all and even giving him the time of day after this.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hey, everyone that gave him apologetics despite ALL evidence to the contrary.

:fuckoff:

Annointed fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 5, 2016

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I can't even make an Ishtar joke about this.
I'm gonna take this opportunity to claim props on knowing LordKat was a dickwad psycho before he even joined TGWTG, back when he went on a tirade and sent me a death threat on Spoony's forum circa 2009. This also happened after he denounced Slowbeef and Retsupurae for "harassing" people online. Think about that.
I can't believe this happened. This is some Eric Cartman poo poo. LATER season Cartman.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Grade-A Certified Gigantic Pile of poo poo, who the gently caress does that?

Sorry to all the people who were hurt by him and his actions who believed he had a bit of decency in him.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Annointed posted:

Holy poo poo, this.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Are we sure LordKat isn't being paid under the table by Spoony to make him look good by comparison?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Counter point: LordKat's breakdown was entirely genuine but he has since got sucked back into his former attitudes/position once he realised he was alienating his fanbase and financially damaging himself. He has since cynically recast his apology as an act.

Question: Would that be even worse than deliberately trolling?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Counter point: LordKat's breakdown was entirely genuine but he has since got sucked back into his former attitudes/position once he realised he was alienating his fanbase and financially damaging himself. He has since cynically recast his apology as an act.

You know what? I wouldn't be surprised but I'd be even more furious.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Counter point: LordKat's breakdown was entirely genuine but he has since got sucked back into his former attitudes/position once he realised he was alienating his fanbase and financially damaging himself.

There was a ridiculous amount of people in the comments of his last video that were pissed he was "apologizing to the SJWs", so yeah, this isn't that unlikely.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

The Internet was a mistake.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

As someone pointed out I'm just more willing to say he's an Eric Cartman type. Just an absolute sociopath with no actual empathy for anyone or anything and no understanding of how human emotions function.

WickedHate posted:

There was a ridiculous amount of people in the comments of his last video that were pissed he was "apologizing to the SJWs", so yeah, this isn't that unlikely.

What the gently caress doesn't make you an SJW these days? I find it funny how no matter who you are if you step even one foot away from being insanely crazy rear end in a top hat right of center then you're an SJW. Christ, loving MundaneMatt has gotten called an SJW by his followers because he didn't totally hate the whole OscarsSoWhite thing and he's one of the loving founders of Gamergate.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 5, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Tracula posted:

Just an absolute sociopath with no actual empathy for anyone or anything and no understanding of how human emotions function.

Maybe he was artificially created? Is... is this the Spoony Experiment!?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

gently caress LordKat forever.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

For those of you angry at LordKat, don't be. It's kind of pathetic that he painted himself into a corner where he had to encourage and enable people who build their fragile identities around resentment and hatred. Having come clean and admitting he could not continue to support such a community he was too weak to carry through his self-reform. For the sake of moral and financial support, and having alienated alternative fanbases and communities, he sells himself out again and has to serve the community he created and which he now despises, his soul withering a little week by week. His fanbase will never properly trust him again, no matter how hard he tries to convince them. It is Huis Clos, the Sartre play where hell is being locked in a room with people you hate and who hate you....forever. LordKat is being punished in a Dantean Inferno: he has betrayed his fans, betrayed the critics who welcomed his apology and betrayed himself by selling out his principles.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Rapidly Going Deaf > Internet Critic Discussion Thread: Welcome the 10th Level of Hell

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Annointed posted:

I don't think they're to blame for thinking he was capable of regret and/or empathy. LordKat was counting on that, otherwise it would have been pointless to "troll" anyone that way. He's the one who decided to fake a breakdown so he could laugh at people's reactions.

God forbid someone think he was sincere in his apology to someone he'd repeatedly harassed. Total rear end in a top hat.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

kaleidolia posted:

fake a breakdown

Apparently no one in this thread (or his fans) detecting him "faking a breakdown". You are attributing to LK great sophistication and brilliant acting skills in order to commit some trolling... Occam's Razor?

E: For it to have been troll, LK's breakdown required a lot of work, good acting, loss of face and a degree of humiliation in order to....show his critics are naive/generous? :shrug:

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 5, 2016

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

E: For it to have been troll, LK's breakdown required a lot of work, good acting, loss of face and a degree of humiliation in order to....show his critics are naive/generous? :shrug:

Again I'm just being an armchair psychologist here but to recover from his 'breakdown' so quickly and have all his friends on board too? I just don't buy it. To me trolling and being a sociopath makes the most sense with his years and years of history of utterly reprehensible actions. This is what gets him off, loving with people and feeling smarter than everyone else. Being a total shitbag shockjock that makes Howard Stern look pure as the driven snow.

Sorry to bring this up because I know he reads the thread but Jason really goes after JO pretty viciously in the latest podcast at a point and his friends are totally on board as well. None of them were genuine in anything they said last time by any means.

Edit: Sorry to have turn this into "LordKat watch" :v:

VVVVVVVVV

WickedHate posted:

LordKat is a shitbag but could we stop throwing around words like "sociopath, psychopath, etc."? Being one of those things doesn't make a person bad, being a bad person does. I literally can't feel empathy and LK makes me sick.

Yeah, sorry if I've been a little too loose with my use of the word. It's just that he seems to fit exactly every definition I've read of it. I didn't mean to directly imply that it makes someone bad but it's just having a lack of empathy or understanding of how people actually work could lead down that path. I admit it's just my outright anger towards him at the moment that's made me speak without thinking completely. It's not right and as I said I am sorry if I've offended you or anyone else with my use of the word.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 5, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
LordKat is a shitbag but could we stop throwing around words like "sociopath, psychopath, etc."? Being one of those things doesn't make a person bad, being a bad person does. I literally can't feel empathy and LK makes me sick.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I remember back when Allison and Phelan split off/escaped from from Channel Awesome lordkat took advantage of the situation and tried to woo them over to his side.

I'm glad they didn't take the bait. Jesus, what a poisonous individual.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

WickedHate posted:

We use those terms are markers of bad people, as demonstrated with said shitbag. You are right that it is a bit ablest to use those terms like ONLY those people can do bad. Lordkat over the years in this board has been either given the benefit of the doubt, a sympathetic look whenever his name came up, only to later be shown with, Diamanda Hagan responding to Lordkat's Magfest video for example, that he is as every bit a narcissistic rat bastard a low grade internet celebrity can be. Frankly the only reason why he wasn't completely lambasted years ago was because his image before this was a pathetic guy holding grudges towards Linkara of all people, instead of a gator with misogynistic views and the rabid fans to harass for years and years.

This fake apology video and this response just seals the deal on any possible doubt that he is at best, an opportunistic piece of poo poo who preys and bullies others for his amusement, or at worst someone who is so cowardly, that the concept of remorse is on a lower priority than being someone praised by the evacuated bowels of human decency.

Normally I'm just apathetic towards these things, but the fact that this errant sack of meat has such a bad history, and then fuels it to justify every insipid action and thought, just pisses me off on levels I never thought possible.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 5, 2016

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Apparently no one in this thread (or his fans) detecting him "faking a breakdown". You are attributing to LK great sophistication and brilliant acting skills in order to commit some trolling... Occam's Razor?

Occam's razor suggests that the guy who spent ages being horrible may, in fact, be horrible.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

kaleidolia posted:

Occam's razor suggests that the guy who spent ages being horrible may, in fact, be horrible.

Sure, I'm making no character judgment there. His video was apparently a mixed up, angry person expressing regret over doing unpleasant things. A video that not many people openly doubted at the time. So maybe that was what the video was. Ascribing to him the ability to dissemble and act so convincingly credits him too much.

Re "breakdown", I meant meltdown/recantation/apology stream. It's possible to have an hour or two of open regret over doubts that have nagged you, then to snap the carapace shut in a matter of days or hours and deny that event meant anything (especially if you come under criticism from your moral and financial backers).

Eyyy, whatever... :shrug:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

It's possible to have an hour or two of open regret over doubts that have nagged you, then to snap the carapace shut in a matter of days or hours and deny that event meant anything (especially if you come under criticism from your moral and financial backers).
Like I've said in the past, being popular on the internet can be bad for your health. It can make you, among other things, unable to really change yourself. You have a financial and emotional investment in being who you already are. LK discovered his fans wouldn't like it if he changed.

He's an opportunistic shitbag, but he's also incapable of escaping his own shitbag-ness, even when he wants to, because it's the only thing people give him attention for doing. Still, gently caress that guy.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Regardless of whether it was all a ruse, or if it was genuine but he changed his mind, nobody should ever be put down for giving somebody the benefit of the doubt if that person genuinely believes they deserve it. That way lies denying the possibility that anybody can ever reform, and if we're never willing to consider that a shitheel can learn the error of their ways, then they won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yardbomb posted:

I really hope it's not some stunt or something he's gonna 180 on either.

Welp.

A: If he actually meant that at first, then ran it back because a bunch of internet shitlords cried little baby bigot tears, I almost feel bad, but gently caress em for choosing to stumble back into line rather than fully break off.

B: If he actually was playing some "lol i trol u" puppetmaster shtick, gently caress em for continuing to be a horrible person.

• Locked thread