Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Lord of Hats posted:

He's not saying it isn't, he's pointing out that he's abandoned his humanity completely in his final form.

Whoops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Angry Grimace posted:

Art of card we heard about.

I like this a lot.

Going straight into my EDH, a mildly altered Seize Control from Commander 2015.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The Lord of Hats posted:

He's not saying it isn't, he's pointing out that he's abandoned his humanity completely in his final form.

Once he was human. Now he is far more.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

He is like Cell.

He's a cell-out to his humanity.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Clearly he continued his work after the initial metamorphosis, morphed himself some finger-like appendages, and has done well enough for himself to purchase a custom-tailored suit. It's not just "oh no I became a bug so I guess I'm done!" Metamorphosis is a process.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

You're running out of time to join the MTGO PAUPER GOON LEAGUE VII: DIRGE OF FAERIES!!!!! We're only 5 people away from breaking our old record-breaking number of 30! 6 more gets us an entire extra round! Don't miss out on your chance to be the 32nd person and force us all to play an entire extra round of Magic! Think of the power you wield over your fellow goons! Literally tens of hours will be wasted because of you! You'll never have this kind of power again. Easily worth the $10 entry fee required to buy into MTGO.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
When someone plays that new 4/3 hasty vampire, its your duty to say "....what's a yute?"

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

New Spoiler. I think Nahiri is rather pissed off. What the gently caress did sorin do to her?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That makes me ache for an investigate path/stp variant.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Samael posted:

New Spoiler. I think Nahiri is rather pissed off. What the gently caress did sorin do to her?

Could just be the way things went down with trapping the Eldrazi on Zendikar instead of Innistrad, or that they were able to get out. I'm genuinely interested in how things go with Nahiri and Sorin, hope they get good cards (we're expecting them as Jace as the walkers for this set, right?)

I like how our suggestions of it being a wraith or draw spell were both sort of right? Gets multiple creatures and gives the victim options to draw. Wrecks tokens by the look of it.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Even RoboRosewater is churning out innistrad cards

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm glad they have the wording technology for 'that creature's controller investigates'. The card disadvantage probably keeps it out of maindecks but it seems like a good sideboard against tokens.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 5, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh god I hope the set after Shadows has Sorin in a Detective Noir role with Nahri as the Femme Fatale

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm glad they have the wording technology for 'that creature's controller investigates'. The card advantage loss probably keeps it out of maindecks but it seems like a good sideboard against tokens.

I feel that remains to be seen, it's not free card advantage after all. You need to pay 2 for that new card, which you may well need to untap for. Also, Stony Silence may be a reprint candidate (with Wayne England's art, of course)

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I don't know, unconditional removal at 1W is very good for Standard. Valorous Stance is rotating out, if there's nothing else white has that can kill Eldrazi or Dragonlords I can see this in maindecks. It might also be good against very aggressive decks, I wouldn't mind using this to get rid of 2 1-drops on turn 2.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess a fast deck could use it effectively, but standard has been pretty grindy for a while. Inherent 1 for 2s are likely to be bad.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Samael posted:

Because Nahiri never wanted the Eldrazi to be locked to Zendikar, but Ugin and Sorin convinced her. Then they got loose and hosed up her plane, so she's taking revenge.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

From the official MtG tumblr.

I really like this

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Samael posted:

Best removal spell they have printed in a while.

Serperoth posted:

I really like this

This is VERY bad.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Investigate is starting to look really fun.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Serperoth posted:

I really like this

Lets play clue! Sorin, with Tamiyo's Journal, in Hanweir Keep.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah they were pretty safe with the journal. I kindof like it for Daretti EDH at least.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Oh sweet. There's a vape show next to gp Detroit.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Serperoth posted:

I really like this

This a very cool bad card

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

mcmagic posted:

Best removal spell they have printed in a while.

This is VERY bad.

I was going to disagree until I noticed it costs 5. It would be mediocre at 3

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Serperoth posted:

I really like this

I feel like everyone is focusing too much on how the actual card is bad, and missing that the art is hideous cgi garbage.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Oh sweet. There's a vape show next to gp Detroit.

Grognards AND vaping? Sign me the gently caress up.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

That makes me ache for an investigate path/stp variant.

I'm pretty sure this is as good as we are going to get for quite a while, because we are currently balls deep in a "slow mo standard" cycle.

It doesn't seem terrible, honestly.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tamiyo's Journal isn't that bad. When you compare it to the other reusable tutor artifacts (Planar Portal and Ring of Three Wishes) it has some upsides and costs much less mana to use.

If there are consistent means of generating clue tokens I could see it being alright, depending on how slow standard is.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Do clue tokens interact profitably with anything like doubling season or proliferate?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

When someone plays that new 4/3 hasty vampire, its your duty to say "....what's a yute?"

We're getting old...

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Everblight posted:

Do clue tokens interact profitably with anything like doubling season or proliferate?

Doubling Season yes, proliferate no because it only works for counters.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Serperoth posted:

I really like this

Cool card but too pricey, considering that there have been cheaper unconditional tutors that are too slow. I did just notice that you don't have to sac the journal to search though, which is a point in its favor.

Everblight posted:

Yes to Doubling Season, but I think Proliferate only works with counters. Maybe you're thinking of Populate, which I don't think works either since it specifically states "creature token".

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I wonder if the journal is playable in a control mirror of some kind.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Cool card but too pricey, considering that there have been cheaper unconditional tutors that are too slow. I did just notice that you don't have to sac the journal to search though, which is a point in its favor.

That's pretty much how I feel. It's obviously not Demonic Tutor, but it's repeatable, it interacts well with other clue token makers, has some kinda cute flavour... :shrug:

If there's other repeatable clue makers, I think it'd not be terribad.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'm curious if we'll get anything like clue token think twice. U gain two clue tokens or something.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Vampires in Pillars, you say...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think the real question is why isn't the journal legendary?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Alaan posted:

I'm curious if we'll get anything like clue token think twice. U gain two clue tokens or something.

Probably more like 1u or 2u draw a card get a clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Serperoth posted:

I really like this

This is essentially my platonic ideal of an EDH card. It is a somewhat flavorful, overpriced artifact, that produces pseudo-card advantage over the course of a long game.

• Locked thread