Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stump collector
May 28, 2007
try not to play the tentacle lady if at all possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Libertine posted:

Suck it up and let him try and gank you top lane over and over and over. Your team should have the freedom to do stuff. Absorbing ganks top lane and surviving because you picked some real poo poo heel champion that is insufferably hard to kill or deal with at all is the purest essence of top lane.

Yeah, that surviving bit is the one I'm still working on. :(

Thanks for the advice, y'all. It'll be an interesting experiment to see how focusing on Top/Mid plays out vs. focusing on Jungle/Support like prior years, suspect I'm probably going to end up lower ranked at the end of the day, but hopefully I can still maintain Silver.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Try queue as Support/Top. That's actually what I've been doing mostly when I've had time to play lately. Most of the best top lane champions right now end up playing essentially the same as hard engage supports who actually have a gold budget.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

wodin posted:

I've been learning top lane this season, and it's generally been a lot of fun. However, I really have no idea how to handle a strong ganking jungler getting up in my business. The thought is that I simply hang back near the turret and farm, but that feels like it puts my opponent too far ahead and I ultimately end up losing a lot of farm. It's made a little worse by playing Illaoi who needs to bully early, but still.

Any particular recommendations?

Learn how to manage a wave so you can bully without pushing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy1SgaDlAB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XYUCsioJBQ

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Etrips posted:

Kayle is love.
Kayle is life.

What site are you using for that?

Also, Fervor does seem really legit on her, I think I might try her out too.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Libertine posted:

Try queue as Support/Top. That's actually what I've been doing mostly when I've had time to play lately. Most of the best top lane champions right now end up playing essentially the same as hard engage supports who actually have a gold budget.

I initially tried, but anything + Support just queues as Support 90% of the time, and I'm trying for new experiences this season since Dynamic Queue means I don't have to have a slapfight with my teammates every game to get the role I want.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
if you want to play top and have fun, i recommend playing graves. he can shoot people in the face with a shotgun and he also excels at not dying

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

kingcobweb posted:

gently caress

what

rabidsquid posted:

That someone is Biowarfare so it's probably some sort of wizardry that only he has access to.

not at all. one of my friends is learning how to code for the first time and wants to make something, so im helping him with it -- it's slow as poo poo and not production ready at all though

Impotence fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 4, 2016

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

foutre posted:

What site are you using for that?

Also, Fervor does seem really legit on her, I think I might try her out too.

Triumph.gg

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

exethan posted:

try not to play the tentacle lady if at all possible

I wonder what they could to to make her viable, what numbers need to change or what skill needs to be reworked.

She just falls into that pit filled with niche CCless melee that don't quite have enough damage or tankiness to excel in most games, except unlike the others like Olaf with his CC immunity, true damage and endless Q chasing, she doesn't seem to have any skills that stick out as amazing, even the vessel is underwhelming for landing what would be the equivalent of a blitz or thresh hook.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Libertine posted:

On this patch though that definition can apply to Nautilus, Malphite, Shen, Poppy, and Rammus. Obviously people's champion pools are rarely all of those things, but those things are certainly never all banned. Malphite is just the most obvious one to people who really want to Top Lane Yasuo.

Yeah but of those, I'd argue Malphite has by far the strongest initiator of that batch, and is exceptionally easy to play and generally will endure better than those other dudes, so I ban him out often.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
My laptop crashed so I've been playing normals a bit on a new PC trying to practice before going into ranked. This meta is my poo poo.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Azzents posted:

Do you remember what those stats said? I seem to get people who are much more chilled, and much more wins during mid morning compared to evenings, and I'm wondering if there's some weight behind that or if it's just confirmation bias.

Mid morning crew checking in

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

So you guys said Top Nautilus is good so I tried it and got murdered by a Garen six times in the first 15 minutes and then lost the whole game half an hour later.

So uh besides copying the champion.gg page builds+a zz'rot whats the secret to Winning with him.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
http://www.twitch.tv/dauntevicknabb/

I am streaming, and while I guarantee the games will not be as exciting as my earlier double no nexus towers battle, I can guarantee you will see a lot of shamefully bad CSing for mid-plat Elo on the part of my teammates and wonder how you are stranded in Gold/Silver/Bronze.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Whitenoise Poster posted:

So you guys said Top Nautilus is good so I tried it and got murdered by a Garen six times in the first 15 minutes and then lost the whole game half an hour later.

So uh besides copying the champion.gg page builds+a zz'rot whats the secret to Winning with him.

You hug creeps and poo poo on him when he goes for CS. Don't bother attacking him if it's not in your creepwave and let him use his passive if need be. Shove every single wave to his turret and dive mid as soon as you have boots and some armour (if it's gankable of course.) Garen is a relatively bad champion to farm under turret with but definitely one of the worst champions to gank for, while Nautilus has some nice tools to escape ganks. You should be forcing their jungler to forever be toplane because the enemy toplaner is a whiny little bitch that's not used to standing under turret as Garen. If you have the right jungler (as in the right champ and skill as a player) you dive as soon as the enemy jungler shows somewhere else. Make sure you don't use your ult before Garen uses his runfast ability. TP botlane for kills and pressure because you're playing a champion that's useful when using TP, as opposed to Garen. Tilt their botlane this way, tilt Garen by making him hug his turret, tilt his midlaner by roaming while Garen's lasthitting, tilt his jungler for his begging for ganks but inability to contribute anything to them. Hth

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

wodin posted:

I've been learning top lane this season, and it's generally been a lot of fun. However, I really have no idea how to handle a strong ganking jungler getting up in my business. The thought is that I simply hang back near the turret and farm, but that feels like it puts my opponent too far ahead and I ultimately end up losing a lot of farm. It's made a little worse by playing Illaoi who needs to bully early, but still.

illaoi is an outrageously bad top laner because of this. play a better champion or just... lose lots of cs i guess

as for general top lane advice, do NOT do this

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think illaoi can be an OK midlaner specifically against assassins. she can't usually be killed by their allins and can even turn them around and bait jungle ganks into getting double killed, and she can push the lane pretty well to force an opportunity cost for the assassin's roams

she can't roam for poo poo herself though so there's that. and while Heimerdinger's much squishier he does the same thing better.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

beautiful

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Awyis boys

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

wodin posted:

poo poo tier here, but this by definition would not bother me a lot. If I were missing a little bit of CS or my opponent was getting a little more than me, but it was literally tying up two members of the opposing team to do it, I would consider that a win.

Think of it this way, whatever CS your opponent laner is getting needs to be effectively split in two if it is coming because the jungle is sitting on lane camping.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Don't play illaoi, play Shen, bully cunts botlane, sunfire up all the farm, don't give a gently caress about ganks

E: also with the added bonus of bullying hard if you don't lose lane.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 5, 2016

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

"I tried to pop him off, and then I realized that I was the one being popped off."

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
What exactly is the logic behind shoving your top opponent underneath their tower because I always thought it was advantageous to CS under your own tower since it prevents people from diving on you?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lady Naga posted:

What exactly is the logic behind shoving your top opponent underneath their tower because I always thought it was advantageous to CS under your own tower since it prevents people from diving on you?
A lot of top lane champions are notoriously bad at farming under tower and it gives you a lot of pressure to roam/TP somewhere and get kills while they're forced to show up to a team fight late and lose a creep wave. There's some champions you don't want to do this against though, Nasus will happily farm under tower alone all game if you let him.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Lady Naga posted:

Pushed people have a way harder time responding to the enemy laner roaming to kill your jungler, it's usually harder to cs and tower damage.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Plenty of jungler+top combos can dive with impunity so that's not much of an advantage, also a lot of champions have a hard time last hitting between tower damage and damage from your own minions.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

When you are shoved under tower it is very easy to be dove on a gank. It's also harder to cs under tower for a lot of champions. Alsooooo if you have your opposing laner shoved under tower they can't respond to help out their jungler.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

It denies farm and sets you up to dive or force an advantageous 2v2 countergank with your jungler. Or even just force enemy jungle attention top, there are a few toplaners who don't care about getting ganked early as long as they're drawing pressure away from other lanes.

E: You especially want to push as hard as you can when there's a significant opportunity cost to ganking you, like if your team is in position to take dragon or are 4 man pressuring a different lane.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 5, 2016

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

illaoi is an outrageously bad top laner because of this. play a better champion or just... lose lots of cs i guess

as for general top lane advice, do NOT do this

as for general bot lane advice, do NOT do this

http://webm.land/media/j1QN.webm

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
League of Legends - it's terrible to be pushed under your own tower. It's terrible to shove the lane under their tower. It's terrible.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
I tried to play lots of illaoi when she came out but she's bad. Her only gapcloser is w, and the range on it is pitiful. I can't really think of any situation where you can run in, w and ult on multiple people unless you're against a braindead team.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Well I finally broke my horrific losing streak and mostly carried the game :unsmith:

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
I've been seeing Illaoi a lot lately. It makes it really easy to pick nasus and get to 600 stacks.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

League of Legends - it's terrible to be pushed under your own tower. It's terrible to shove the lane under their tower. It's terrible.

a complicated cacophony of contextual conditions calcified by concurrent combinations, I coldly and condescendingly conjecture

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I am contemplating playing Akali top is there anything I should do/know specifically with her?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Warlord's bloodlust is bonkers on ADCasters, it's up to 20% lifesteal on physical damage, not just autos.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 5, 2016

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Apparently tanky Akali is good now! Look up some youtube videos on how that works, it sounds fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Illaoi seems reall good if the enemy is a bunch of bruisers so she can slap a bunch of them at the same time in her tentacle playground. I'm not sure how useful that niche is or how likely it is to turn up right now, but there you go.

• Locked thread