Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pakled posted:

The Kangnido: a 1402 Korean world map.

Having trouble telling what's supposed to be what?

Nice map...for a clown to draw at the circus!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Count Roland posted:

English language historical record. Its funny how empty Asia is.

Sure, sure, it's population density x length of record x how much white people are interested in analysing that record.

Though, going off a tangent, some cultures seem to have been more interested in writing down history than others. I'm thinking primary of India here, where "Prior to the thirteenth century AD we possess no historical text of any kind, much less a detailed narrative as we possess in the case of Greece, Rome, or China." As far as historians can tell, the Indians just weren't interested in writing chronicles. I think it'd be pretty interesting to figure out what the reasons behind that were, and why, the Meditterranean cultures, say, or (especially) the Chinese were interested.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Nice map...for a clown to draw at the circus!!!

Korea não é um paìs pequeno!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DrSunshine posted:

19th-20th century China: Noted peaceful place.

Unfortunately probably the only truly comprehensive history of the Chinese civil war as a whole is in ROC archives, and as far as I know has not been translated to any Western language that I know of, or even to simplified alphabet. The other best thing, the CIA monographies on China, are really only good for the period after the US joined the WWII.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Now give me that same map, but leave out all battles where at least one of the sides is predominantly white people.

:jerkbag:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Autonomous Monster posted:

Sure, sure, it's population density x length of record x how much white people are interested in analysing that record.

Though, going off a tangent, some cultures seem to have been more interested in writing down history than others. I'm thinking primary of India here, where "Prior to the thirteenth century AD we possess no historical text of any kind, much less a detailed narrative as we possess in the case of Greece, Rome, or China." As far as historians can tell, the Indians just weren't interested in writing chronicles. I think it'd be pretty interesting to figure out what the reasons behind that were, and why, the Meditterranean cultures, say, or (especially) the Chinese were interested.
Less desire to leave a permanent mark when you don't believe in a single life? Would sorta fit with the arrival of Islamic states in India. Purely guessing here.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I think you're not cathing my drift here. I think it'd be interesting to see what holes that would leave due to the referenced records being spotty in that regard. As others have now mentioned as well.

I had no intention of making it seem like I have sweeping statements to make about levels of aggression in specific races or anything like that.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Golbez posted:

I'm the late-20th-century Battle of Indianapolis.

Man, The Battle of Indianapolis was the worst Rage Against the Machine album.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Golbez posted:

I'm the late-20th-century Battle of Indianapolis.

Apparently, it is this mislabelled as 1963 instead of 1863. Though the image of time-travelling Confederate cavalry looting north of the Ohio river in the 1960s is an amusing one.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
A lot of them are oddly marked. The Battle of Tipton Island is shown about 70 miles west of where it happened.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What's up with 1878? Were there tons of Europeans playing? Was half the league from Cape Cod?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

PittTheElder posted:

What's up with 1878? Were there tons of Europeans playing? Was half the league from Cape Cod?

Yeah some of the players were immigrants who were born in Europe back in that day.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Yeah some of the players were immigrants who were born in Europe back in that day.

Probably a bunch of kids who's parents had brought them over and had grown up with the game.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

Unfortunately probably the only truly comprehensive history of the Chinese civil war as a whole is in ROC archives, and as far as I know has not been translated to any Western language that I know of, or even to simplified alphabet. The other best thing, the CIA monographies on China, are really only good for the period after the US joined the WWII.

:jerkbag:

Could I see more about these CIA monographs? I'm interested in that period.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Corek posted:

Could I see more about these CIA monographs? I'm interested in that period.

I misspoke, since obviously the CIA didn't exist back then; The real publisher was the Office of the Chief of Military History of the US Army, and the material was compiled from Japanese records made available after the war; you can get the PDFs here http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Japan/Monos/

But do not expect a riveting read, it's a bunch of bureaucratic documents through and through.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 4, 2016

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Blut posted:

http://battles.nodegoat.net/viewer.p/23/385/scenario/1/geo/fullscreen is the link to play around with it. Maybe all of those ghosts are partially responsible for Belgium's awfulness.

I know this is a joke but a popular national notion among Belgians (especially Flemings) blames our culture's reluctance for open confrontation and wariness of strangers on the fact that for a long time, it was one of Europe's major battlefields caught in between much more powerful forces. I think it's a crock of self-serving bullshit that is all too often used to justify racism to be sure, but it is true that on average, Belgians are much more quiet and modest people than any of their neighbours.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Well yeah you're surrounded by Germans, Swamp Germans, and the French.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HorseRenoir posted:

WTF is this 'Night Jew' poo poo, I lived in the northeast for ten years and I've never heard those bugs called anything other than fireflies

My Pennsylvania family is 100% lightning bug. A bad map.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

the jizz taxi posted:

I know this is a joke but a popular national notion among Belgians (especially Flemings) blames our culture's reluctance for open confrontation and wariness of strangers on the fact that for a long time, it was one of Europe's major battlefields caught in between much more powerful forces. I think it's a crock of self-serving bullshit that is all too often used to justify racism to be sure, but it is true that on average, Belgians are much more quiet and modest people than any of their neighbours.

I've never heard of this explanation but yes we're very modest people.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Irradiation posted:

Well yeah you're surrounded by Germans, Swamp Germans, and the French.

French are just Romanophile Germans.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Here's a guess the map, because everybody loves them.

It's crime related.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I support the cause of just spoilering what the map is when you post "guess the map".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
red is where "guess the map" is a crime punished by life in prison.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Guavanaut posted:

Here's a guess the map, because everybody loves them.

It's crime related.

Dark Red - Crime is illegal

Light Red - Crime is legal

Grey - No Data/they couldn't find the answer on Wikipedia

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

JosefStalinator posted:

I support the cause of just spoilering what the map is when you post "guess the map".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Dark Red - Crime is illegal

Light Red - Crime is legal

Grey - No Data/they couldn't find the answer on Wikipedia
That'd be close if light red was "crime is legal when the ruling party approves." :haw:

It's actually national criminal DNA/biometric databases. Red has one. Light red is planning one. Gray has no official plan or is unofficially planning.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPanrY

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This make me wonder why they need so much testing. Is not like Hirosima and Nagasaki where failed test. The first prototype killed a whole city, thats bad enough for me.

And a new design may need a new explosion to test it, but then why make 500 explosions, is that 500 different designs?

Maybe nuclear test serve a political role, like "I am Civ Gandhi and I have nuclear bombs".

Also that video is way too slow. I played it with the youtube function to accelerate it x2 and it was still to slow.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Blut posted:

http://battles.nodegoat.net/viewer.p/23/385/scenario/1/geo/fullscreen is the link to play around with it. Maybe all of those ghosts are partially responsible for Belgium's awfulness.

i'm the ridiculous idea that the palawa pakana in tasmania were almost wiped out without a single battle because white historians preferred to write incidents like the risdon cove massacre off as a series of "unrelated hunting incidents"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
What was that British nuke test in the US in 1962?

e: Oh, there was more. I didn't know that was a thing.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 5, 2016

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The only way to prove that you have a bunch different nukes that work and are constantly making more is to blow some up and let your enemies notice.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

What was that British nuke test in the US in 1962?

e: Oh, there was more. I didn't know that was a thing.

I was more surprised the french were testing nukes in Algeria in the middle of the Algerian war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i love this map so much

immigrants and northeasterners in the beginning, then it catches up with the american center of population as scouting and the minor league system grows (well before the expansion era), i'm guessing it jumps southeast in the early '50s because of black southerners and heads back west because of californians and such, but then back east because the caribbean countries have sent more players to the majors than mexico i suppose

the constant southward move is mostly because of latinos no doubt, but i bet also because more american players come from places with longer playing seasons nowadays

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

It's the twelve "super states" representative districts as envisioned by the US Parliament.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

HAWAII

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

When I think of places that have enough mutual interests to share a representative, I think of Fargo and Honolulu.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

It's the twelve "super states" representative districts as envisioned by the US Parliament.

The thirteen Commonwealths of Fallout's America.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

YF19pilot posted:

It's not the worst map in the world but there's severe population migration that's probably going to make it obsolete in the near future.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

YF19pilot posted:

Hell yeah, we conquered the prairie provinces and renamed them HAWAII. Just imagine what we could do with a parliament...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

Wtf is that site even about?