Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Audiokarma has a whole forum to answer questions like that, and I think you can post there with the free membership

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

The Mandingo posted:

I got a really kickass McIntosh tube amp back from the only McIntosh approved repair shop in DFW recently and I'm looking to sell it. Any idea where I could get a price range on what it's worth, and a good place to sell something expensive like it?

I'll post some pictures later when I get it set up for demo.

Ebay is where I get the highest prices when selling gear. Good pictures and proof equipment has been serviced by that shop will help you get higher prices. What model number?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
McIntosh MC 275 serial no VN2454.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

The Mandingo posted:

I got a really kickass McIntosh tube amp back from the only McIntosh approved repair shop in DFW recently and I'm looking to sell it. Any idea where I could get a price range on what it's worth, and a good place to sell something expensive like it?

Audiogon and USAudioMart would be a good bet both for checking price and selling it. Audiogon costs money to list, but USAudioMart is free for individuals.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

The Mandingo posted:

McIntosh MC 275 serial no VN2454.

drat son.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Yeah that's like up to 5 grand.

Doorstop
Jan 13, 2008
I really miss Texas
Would you mind sharing the contact info for this shop in DFW? I'm in Shreveport and we have a decent number of people picking up vintage equipment and we haven't been able to make a good local contact for repairs/restoration.

The Mandingo posted:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
McIntosh lists their licensed repair joints on their website.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Yep, I found them through the McIntosh website. They're a two man shop and it took two months to get it serviced, they're overloaded with jobs. Les and Otis, good guys.

http://www.ftworthaudio.com/

Doorstop
Jan 13, 2008
I really miss Texas

The Mandingo posted:

Yep, I found them through the McIntosh website. They're a two man shop and it took two months to get it serviced, they're overloaded with jobs. Les and Otis, good guys.

http://www.ftworthaudio.com/

Awesome, thanks!

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

The cover on my SL-23 is starting to show failure at the hinges. Anything I can do to slow the inevitable?

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Get a larger piece of metal to spread the stress across more surface area at each hinge.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Beloved goons:

I'm trying to make a mixtape, wherein I plan to record the output from my turntable (from a DJ mixer) and the output from my sampler onto a cassette tape. Pretty much any cassette deck from craigslist/thrift store/goodwill ought to do the trick, right? And two separate decks are needed to copy cassettes, correct? Keep in mind, hi-fidelity is not the aim here

Thank you for your help

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Beloved goons:

I'm trying to make a mixtape, wherein I plan to record the output from my turntable (from a DJ mixer) and the output from my sampler onto a cassette tape. Pretty much any cassette deck from craigslist/thrift store/goodwill ought to do the trick, right? And two separate decks are needed to copy cassettes, correct? Keep in mind, hi-fidelity is not the aim here

Thank you for your help

Yeah, just make sure to test it before you buy it. If you're not worried about fidelity, any dual cassette deck should work for copying.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

My old SL-1700 has been having issues with the channels cutting out. I'm fairly sure it's because of the old RCA jacks no longer making a reliable connection with the receiver. If I fiddle around with them, particularly unplug them then plug them back in, but only just a bit, it sounds great again until a quiet part in a song will make one channel cut out again. Is there any easy way to fix this?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I have the exact same problem with a different turntable. Would like to know if there's a good fix.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Deoxit your RCA jacks first. I had an issue where I was having one channel cut out on my turntable and deoxit-ing the cartridge harness wires fixed it.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

It's the same problem on two different amps now.

Edit: oh you mean the jacks on the end of the wires, got it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

It's the same problem on two different amps now.

Edit: oh you mean the jacks on the end of the wires, got it.

Well kinda. I meant the female ports on the amp, but sometimes the best way to clean those is to hose em down and put the male end in and out. So that would clean both ends. Try taking the cart out and cleaning the l and r connections. Might work, cant hurt. It's p-mount, right?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Well kinda. I meant the female ports on the amp, but sometimes the best way to clean those is to hose em down and put the male end in and out. So that would clean both ends. Try taking the cart out and cleaning the l and r connections. Might work, cant hurt. It's p-mount, right?

Yep p mount. I'll give it a shot.

Edit: We'll I'll be damned. Deoxit fixes everything. Thanks!

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 24, 2016

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Yep p mount. I'll give it a shot.

Edit: We'll I'll be damned. Deoxit fixes everything. Thanks!

Yeah I use like 4 cans a month, it's my go to since all this stuff is old as hell.

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

What's more likely to be shot, the speakers or the speaker wire? I have a new old turntable setup with an old receiver and I'm getting intermittent sound. So I decided to try a different receiver as well as a dvd player for sound, thinking that one of those was the issue - and now I'm having the same issue. I can't consistently recreate the music working and then cutting out, so I'm a little confused.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

surivdaoreht posted:

What's more likely to be shot, the speakers or the speaker wire? I have a new old turntable setup with an old receiver and I'm getting intermittent sound. So I decided to try a different receiver as well as a dvd player for sound, thinking that one of those was the issue - and now I'm having the same issue. I can't consistently recreate the music working and then cutting out, so I'm a little confused.

Pretty easy to swap out speaker wire and check. Are the ends old and oxidized? Try trimming them back to bright copper. Make sure you have a real right connection on both speakers.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I couldn't resist picking up a $150 pair of Klipsch KG4 speakers at a thrift store today. Pretty good deal, considering they're in fantastic shape with all the foam springy and intact!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Take pics! I don't know why I love speakers so much.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Great find, KG4 are a great sounding speaker!

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
As seen in the store:

Some quick pics before I clean them up:

That white splotch seems to be a bit of latex house paint, easy enough to get rid of hopefully.

These things are awesome! The bass reflecting off the wall is a cool trick, but I'm sure my neighbors hate it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Hot.

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

I went out and bought some proper speaker wire, hooked it all up and I have essentially the same issues. I'm semi-stumped here, so any insight is appreciated.

Bear with me, because I've been trying to swap out all types of poo poo trying to figure this out.

I have two receivers, as well the turntable and a BR/DVD I've been using for a different audio signal.

One receiver is new-ish, no phono. One is about 30 years old, with phono.
Right now, I have the speakers wired to the old receiver, and I'm using the BR player to give me sound. I've got it hooked up to the AUX on the receiver. I've got good sound coming from the right speaker, but something seems wrong with the sound from the left speaker. According to the receiver, speaker one is on and speaker two is off (little selector buttons). If I try to turn the second speaker on, they both shut off. If I try to switch so the left is on and the right is off, I get nothing as well. I could go on and on with the different combinations I've tried, but I've just loving lost at this point. If I try to use the turntable it'll play at times (only clear on one speaker), and then decide to play super quiet and tinny from one speaker only. At times if I shift the turntable I can make it play clear again. Once again, confused as a mother fucker. The only thing I haven't swapped out is the speakers, but I don't have another set to play with at the moment.

Could one speaker being hosed cause the other one to lose sound? The thing I'm most confused by is; how the gently caress am I getting some sound from both speakers if I only have one selected.

JVC A-K300 is the receiver, a newer Denon is the newer one.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Is it always the same speaker that has problems? Like if you swap speakers, will it be the same speaker that goes in and out, or is it always the channel that is bad?

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

Good call. I just quickly switched the speakers and now they're both functioning as opposed to one at seemingly 100% and the other at say, 25%. Which doesn't really make sense to me... but yeah.

Ed; nevermind. It is following the speaker.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

surivdaoreht posted:

The thing I'm most confused by is; how the gently caress am I getting some sound from both speakers if I only have one selected.
The buttons are for switching between two pairs of speakers, not for either left or right (what would be the point of that?).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You could have a bad solder joint in one speaker and as you bump it around (or as you play music and use the speaker) the connection comes and goes. I don't know what else makes sense. My guess would be the amp or a source before a speaker, but if you've swapped those around you've kind of eliminated that idea.

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

The buttons are for switching between two pairs of speakers, not for either left or right (what would be the point of that?).

Does that mean if I attempt to turn on the second pair and they aren't hooked up, the first set will turn off? opens the circuit I guess?

I think the one speaker is shot.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

surivdaoreht posted:

Does that mean if I attempt to turn on the second pair and they aren't hooked up, the first set will turn off? opens the circuit I guess?
Doesn't open the circuit, since they would be in parallel, not series. Typically, anyway. I don't know for your amp specifically, but my amp (and any other I've owned) allows me to depress both buttons with one pair of speakers connected and that has no consequences. If a second pair of speakers was connected, having them both playing at the same time would do things to the impedance, maybe it's a built in protection against unintended consequences to switch off both, idk. Although I'd expect it just not to allow you to have both buttons depressed at the same time if that were really the issue. So, no idea why that would happen for you.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Got my pair of Infinity CS-3009 back together, they sound great and have awesome bass. Don't really want to sell them but bills must be paid.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I dunno, I feel like new kidneys might be an easier find than old analog speakers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Quidnose posted:

I dunno, I feel like new kidneys might be an easier find than old analog speakers.

As opposed to digital speakers?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Spent 8 bucks at the local recycling yard today

Took home this Technics SL-D2 with Ortofon Concorde STD cartridge on it.

I've never had a direct drive turntable before, so now i get to have fun figuring out how exactly to adjust the pitch. Everything else on it seems to be in nice condition. The hinges for the cover has broken, but i gather that's pretty normal on these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I was going to spend $175 yesterday on an SL1200 in need of some TLC, but when I shoved up, it turned out to be an SL-220 :(

However, today redeemed it:

It unfortunately does not come with the superfancy remote. The motor for extending the cassette deck seems dead, and I don't have any tapes to test it with. CD player and receiver plays very nice on my headphones. Cost me about $50, plus $3 for the CD. Value new could have been about $3500-$4000, and the CD player and tuner should sell for at least $500 if I don't decide to keep it. I'm sure KozmoNaut will know exact prices and details about this.

It's a Beomaster 7000, Beocord 7000 and Beogram CD 7000.