Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
My Bonavita kettle has been going strong for years, pre ordered when they were first introduced. Your either very unlucky or doing something that's putting excess wear on it. Try contacting the company for a warranty replacement. The only other I know of is the Hario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My guess is the fuse blew, but the lovely tri-screws make it hard to confirm. It'll still read temps but just not heat, but the "click" sound still occures. The first one would read the temp as boiling and produce an error at 160 degrees. I kept it away from water, did not overfill and also had the water shield on it; not certain how else to abuse them. This replacement kettle has worked for a year, mostly weekend use only, so I doubt they'll give me warranty coverage. I remember picking it up last year the reviews were better than what I've read looking for a solution. I just don't think they're made well.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah I don't know of any other electric goosenecks other than the Hario. There are plenty of good stovetop gooseneck kettles, though, and I actually prefer them for pourover coffee because they just feel better balanced in my hand than the electric ones.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Well then I think I'll pull my induction top to the coffee corner and get a stovetop.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I've recently discovered the unbridled and slightly gritty joy of Turkish coffee with cardamom, so I need to get on this poo poo. Does anyone have a recommended source for good beans for this in the UK? Recommended cezves? And more broadly, a student-budget burr grinder available in the UK?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Mr. Wookums posted:

Well then I think I'll pull my induction top to the coffee corner and get a stovetop.

There are stainless steel gooseneck kettles. Those work with induction tops right?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have moved into a new place and want to get a coffee setup for drip. What is my best option? Keen to avoid expensive filters if possible.

Will my Hario hand grinder suffice?

Is an Aeropress a good option?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can get a bonmac ceramic cone for like $12 on Amazon. Or any melitta cone you get at supermarkets for $5 will do just fine. Uses any standard #2/#4 filters sold everywhere. And yes your hario grinder is fine.

I don't like the aeropress because it isn't as versatile. With a cone I can easily use it to make one drink or up to 4 drinks to share. You can finagle with the Aeropress to make more but it's really designed just for one.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 8, 2016

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Aeropresses are rather fast and easy to clean, but as the poster above states they're only really meant to make a single cup at a time. It's a good cup but I'd look elsewhere if you're making coffee for two or more every morning.

I really dig my bee house ceramic dripper but I'm not sure how it compares to the other brewers that use #2/#4 filters. Any one of those should do you just fine, and the filters are sold just about everywhere.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Will I also need one of those cute kettle things? A thermometer? The chemex looks neat.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Is no one going to mention this AMAZING NEW INVENTION!!??!?!?

http://www.ninjakitchen.com/ninja-coffee-bar-cf080/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Red_Fred posted:

Will I also need one of those cute kettle things? A thermometer? The chemex looks neat.

You don't need a pouring kettle or thermometer for the regular cones. The V60 is really the only one that requires a kettle.

Chemex is neat but a pain to clean and the filters are thick and taste like rear end. And the filters are expensive.

The only things you need are a way to heat up water, a cone, grinder, and a gram scale. If you don't have one you should go get a scale.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have a normal digital scale that goes down to grams, is that good enough?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

I respect them for this:

Ninja Coffee posted:

Specialty Brew creates our highest concentration of coffee. It’s a coffee extract that, like espresso, you can use to create coffeehouse-style hot and cold layered beverages—right in your own home.

At least they're not calling it something it isn't.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

torgeaux posted:

dial up flavor richness

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
It's probably not a bad brewer of drip coffee.

But, Sofia Vergara, who not only has large breasts and a limited range of acting skills, she's from Colombia, and therefor an expert on coffee.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

dik-dik posted:

There are stainless steel gooseneck kettles. Those work with induction tops right?
Yep. Bonavita is also sending me a replacement electric which is awesome. I'll have a backup stove top this time. Their customer support is legitimately good.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Hey folks,

I've been given permission to upgrade my ageing espresso machine, as the current lovely Breville Stainless thing has started leaking and my fiancee just hates it.

The only Espresso machines in my price range that seem to be available here in Perth seem to be the Breville range. I know the Dual Boiler is generally well regarded, but it's currently only available bundled with the smart grinder (I already have a burr grinder) and it's a bit expensive anyway.

I was wondering what people thought of their The Infuser machine:

http://www.breville.com.au/the-infuser.html

It looks like the dual boiler minus the... dual boiler. Still PID. I'm not going to be making coffee in volume so I don't really need a dual boiler for that, and the price is about right. Is there any reason why this is a bad device?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Clive Coffee reviewed it and it seems perfectly serviceable.

Seattle Coffee Gear has a more in-depth take:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCdhfNd5GK0

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 9, 2016

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Looks like a good machine! The dual boiler thing pretty much just means you can brew and steam simultaneously. If you're willing to wait an extra 30-60 seconds you'll be fine without it.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Thanks dudes! Now to wait for July :P

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mistobox is okay. 12oz every two weeks is not nearly enough coffee, but is slightly too much (and too expensive) for one week. Think I might try out some of the goon roast next, see how those are, and consider doing the subscription there. Would be getting 24oz at the beginning of every month that way, and I could essentially supplement it with a monthly trip to my old place for a "treat" to straddle every other month. Or I could just not be lazy and suck it up and just take the 40 minute trip to the place I already know and like and abandon this pursuit of convenience.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

NM

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Nephzinho posted:

Mistobox is okay. 12oz every two weeks is not nearly enough coffee, but is slightly too much (and too expensive) for one week. Think I might try out some of the goon roast next, see how those are, and consider doing the subscription there. Would be getting 24oz at the beginning of every month that way, and I could essentially supplement it with a monthly trip to my old place for a "treat" to straddle every other month. Or I could just not be lazy and suck it up and just take the 40 minute trip to the place I already know and like and abandon this pursuit of convenience.

Have they been getting it to you one time? Every other week, it wouldn't matter as much, I guess.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I've bought more LBs than I can count from Sweet Maria's, and this Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe Dry Process - Aricha is the best I've had from them. To be fair I haven't tried the other Yirgacheffes but god drat son.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Google Butt posted:

I've bought more LBs than I can count from Sweet Maria's, and this Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe Dry Process - Aricha is the best I've had from them. To be fair I haven't tried the other Yirgacheffes but god drat son.

Yesss! I bought 10lb of this and 10lb of their Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe Dry Process - Gedeb Asasa about a month ago and both of them make absolutely delicious espresso.

Highly recommended. In other news, I've finally found a good use for Seattle's Best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTnCgaWiE6U

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

That's just the stoner pour talking.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

dik-dik posted:

Yesss! I bought 10lb of this and 10lb of their Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe Dry Process - Gedeb Asasa about a month ago and both of them make absolutely delicious espresso.

Highly recommended. In other news, I've finally found a good use for Seattle's Best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTnCgaWiE6U

How would you compare the two?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Aim for the darkness indeed.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It's a been a minute since I posted here but want to show a cute journey of my roaster life in pictures.
It all started on a popcorn popper but that was maybe 2-3days before I bought the behmor.

Then I said let me sell to goons so I bought the Huky 500! A great little workhorse for the budding home roaster with the insanely stupidy and impossible dream of being a roaster I would never reccomend unless you hate money.

I had the bug and some luck on the forums so I said lemmie go commerical! Come to find out my state hates this setup for gas (I should have just said nothing) so I bought this ultra rare Diedrich for far too much money

It helped me get production to make it into some whole foods as seen here. But one store's order would require an entire day of work and that just doesn't scale at all.

So I sold the diedrich for far too much money and bought the mill city.

and went through the stupid install process in an area where noone has installed a roaster in ...ever? I had to teach them the specifics so we could meet "code".

Now I can produce about 200 pounds in a realistic time frame for me to also demo and do other business related stuff - though I'm sadly outgrowing this as demand has skyrocketed.This was last week and not shown at 2 more buckets.

And here's me throwing signs for y'all.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

MasterControl posted:

Holy coffee gear batman!

Thanks for sharing!

I get super jealous of dudes that are stupid brave enough to make the leap to pro roasting. But I do like money a lot, so I don't lose too much sleep over it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So I'm not a coffee aficionado, and have a hard time differentiating "bad" coffee from good coffee.

Maybe my tastebuds are broken, or perhaps I've just never actually had high-quality coffee before.

Recently though I came across a recipe for egg coffee:

http://scandinavianfood.about.com/od/beverages/r/eggcoffee.htm

Has anyone tried this before, and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
It's you - you are my hero.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Man, I am super happy for you three (still three?) and I need to send you some more monies and get some more coffees. Keep on rocking.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

bengy81 posted:

Thanks for sharing!

I get super jealous of dudes that are stupid brave enough to make the leap to pro roasting. But I do like money a lot, so I don't lose too much sleep over it.

A few local roasters locally had it easier: Elixir had a silent pro athlete investor drop cash, passenger is an offshoot of a digital agency and they paid for a lot of their gear, brandy wine is an offshoot of a 12 store chain in Wilmington, Then there is me and my goon orders chugging along. Just as they had luck I got lucky Noone was selling on the forums and also had a connection who got me into wf. Probably could home roast on a behmor and sell at a farmers market for side cash?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I've noticed I can't taste anything in my espresso other than the slightly fruity acid notes.

Ive:
Cleaned my machine,
I used to use a calibrated (nailpunch like thingie) tamper until I dropped it, now it doesn't punch.
And my extraction time is under 30 seconds and I haven't noticed any blonding.

What an earth am I doing wrong? Is there a simple espresso debugging guide I can follow?

Used to have this down, got complacent and now everything tastes of orange battery acid.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What is the machine? One possibility is that the temperature of the water isn't hot enough. With my Gaggia Classic I actually have to let it heat up for 20+ minutes to extract a proper shot. Be sure the portafilter is also hot.

Your beans might just be fruity. Is it a single origin?

What is your actual extraction time and what is the yield? How much coffee are you using?

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I let my Silvia heat up for at least 20 minutes too. I also have a PID installed so I can see the boiler temp at all times, which definitely helps.

As Mu Zeta said, definitely measure your yield and how much coffee you are actually using and try tweaking those.

I also find that depending on what sort of cup/glass I'm using, it can be hard for me to visually tell just how much I'm yielding. I have a very thin scale that I often put under my cup or shot glass to actually measure as I'm pulling the shot.