Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

I hope you literally do not complain about anything that's ever happened to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Mr. Unlucky posted:

I am not personally invested in these people, I haven't listened to any of their music and I doubt I will.

That said she comes off as a huge drama queen type personality which immediately makes me doubt all of this. She also seems to be connecting this incident to being dropped from the record label which seems to be blatantly false as far as I can tell so that just damages her credibility further, especially with that cheesy rear end 'make you a star' poo poo like real life is a badly written movie. It feels like a publicity ploy, and it worked because I would never have known who the gently caress she is if it weren't for this.

Also I am sure I will get some poo poo for saying this but if he actually did do it as described it's basically a 1/10 on the rape scale. They kidnap little girls in India and lock them in a room for 20 years then throw them out on the street to die once they're all used up and I don't see anyone really giving a poo poo about that but oh you're an artist you're so important this is such an issue you're fighting for women everywhere blah blah blah shut the gently caress up. I know just because worse things happen elsewhere it doesn't invalidate lesser evils but on a scale that includes "to death, for years" this is about as tame as it gets and if she is actually claiming it ruined her life or anything near that she needs some loving perspective.

"1/10 on the rape scale" is a song on the new swans album

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Wouldn't surprise me, doesn't alter my opinion of Swans if true. I guess I am a bad person.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Looks like Gira's solo Australian tour kicking off next Saturday just got cancelled.

At least Norman Westberg is doing a solo show next month.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

What's a 5 on the rape scale?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
mods please rename thread to "SWANS: From the Seer to Filth in one accusation" tia

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 29, 2016

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Bolocko posted:

If you owned a Caravaggio painting would you get rid of it because he murdered someone (while attempting to castrate him)?

You shouldn't joke about that poo poo, I'm the guy he killed.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

How's your singing voice?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mutant Standard posted:

mods please rename thread to "SWANS: From the Seer to Filth in one accusation" tia

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Mutant Standard posted:

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Mutant Standard posted:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Mutant Standard posted:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I asked het to do it a couple days ago but that guy got an anime avatar so I bet he don't understand good jokes.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
the seer takes on a new meaning now, ick...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sdOvQjtUrg&t=1365s

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Really makes you think about "Raping A Slave" too.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I think it actually doesn't make you think about that song at all

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
It makes me think about how Johnny Cash is a murderer, David Bowie is a space alien, and Nas is literally Pablo Escobar. Disturbing revelations indeed.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Mr. Unlucky posted:

I am not personally invested in these people, I haven't listened to any of their music and I doubt I will.

That said she comes off as a huge drama queen type personality which immediately makes me doubt all of this. She also seems to be connecting this incident to being dropped from the record label which seems to be blatantly false as far as I can tell so that just damages her credibility further, especially with that cheesy rear end 'make you a star' poo poo like real life is a badly written movie. It feels like a publicity ploy, and it worked because I would never have known who the gently caress she is if it weren't for this.

Also I am sure I will get some poo poo for saying this but if he actually did do it as described it's basically a 1/10 on the rape scale. They kidnap little girls in India and lock them in a room for 20 years then throw them out on the street to die once they're all used up and I don't see anyone really giving a poo poo about that but oh you're an artist you're so important this is such an issue you're fighting for women everywhere blah blah blah shut the gently caress up. I know just because worse things happen elsewhere it doesn't invalidate lesser evils but on a scale that includes "to death, for years" this is about as tame as it gets and if she is actually claiming it ruined her life or anything near that she needs some loving perspective.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Siobhan Duffy (Gira's ex-wife) made a statement in the comments of this article: http://observer.com/2016/03/i-stand-with-kesha-why-men-should-address-musics-rape-culture-problem-right-now/

Siobhan Duffy posted:

Hello. My name is Siobhan Duffy and I am Michael's ex wife. The wife married to him (together for 12 years) while Larkin and Michael worked together. It is shameful what Ms. Grimm has done. Michael is not a rapist. And we will be making a more offical statement soon with proof of either her instabilty and her intent to ruin Michael's life work. Michael and I divorced in 2011. In 2013 Larkin wrote me on Facebook messenger (not a public post) which starts..."Dear Siobhan, I'm Sorry, I'm sorry,I'm so, so, sorry for being an immature manipulative untrustworthy whore,losing my way,being constantly high, and not follwoing my conscience when you welcomed me into your home." She goes on to tell me about the drunken night of fooling around that never included coitus. And many people that worked with both Larkin and Michael reveal that she was bragging about it at the time and finding it laughable that he was afraid his wife (me) would find out. She taunted him with telling me. When she wrote to me and spoke to Michael about it, I asked him to remove her from his label out of respect of me. Larkin claims that when she confronted him with rape, which never happened, he removed her from the label. Another false statement. And this one Facebook post has brought his 30 plus career and his name into question? It seems the media does not fact check anything anymore. Making false claims of rape can ruin someone's life, but also it undermines every true report of rape. And as seen from above, Larkin is now trying to capitalize on the current hot topic of rape in the music industry. She even mentions Kehsa in her FB post. Yes Larkin, you finally got your name in Billboard, but at what price to Michael and his family?
Check your FACTS. #IstandwithGIRA #LarkinISLYING

And I would like to add that Michael Gira is one of several men being accused by Larkin Grimm of sexual misconduct, all of whom terminated their working relationships with her. Who is the problem?

I guess that larger statement with proof is still forthcoming.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
It's kind of upsetting that nobody is reporting her statements (since she's actually related to the case, being the one cheated on), but I guess we'll see what's what when that evidence comes forth.

Franz von Dada fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 3, 2016

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene

Mr. Unlucky posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

'1/10 on the rape scale' makes an amazing username. Thanks.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

Franz von Dada posted:

It's kind of upsetting that nobody is reporting her statements (since she's actually related to the case, being the one cheated on), but I guess we'll see what's what when that evidence comes forth.

Someone needs to report her statements if she did indeed make a statement, but unfortunately that could've been anyone who left that comment. We've already seen a fake email come out of 4chan

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Someone needs to report her statements if she did indeed make a statement, but unfortunately that could've been anyone who left that comment. We've already seen a fake email come out of 4chan

Her FB account has a link to the article specifically mentioning the comments she wrote on it

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Nanomashoes posted:

I asked het to do it a couple days ago but that guy got an anime avatar so I bet he don't understand good jokes.
I've chosen a total of 2 avatars I've ever had fwiw. Also I didn't really want to stoke the flames, the discussion seemed fine as it was.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

quote:

Here is a post from Larkin's most recent band where she accused the leader of sexual harassment

Clearly Larkin Grimm is not well. Mental illness does not equate with dishonesty. However, in Grimm’s case, both are active to the detriment of my colleague and former life partner, Thomas Ellis’s reputation and career. I have worked with Thomas for years now, and though our personal relationship did not work, I know him well and deeply and Grimm’s public depictions of him are errant and libelius. I continue to work with Thomas professionally and I stand with him in this matter. Larkin Grimm has admitted in writing that, when off her medication, she lacks compassion and enjoys playing tricks on people. During her short tenure with Heroes Are Gang Leaders, she wove a tapestry of lies about her past marriage, false suicide attempts, and a number of other stories that she carefully tailored to the particular listener in order to garner their sympathy and rely on their decency to keep her confidences private. As her statements became bolder and more difficult to fathom, members of HAGL began discussing them and quickly discovered that Larkin Grimm is a very calculating liar. When she feared her place in the band was in jeopardy, she fabricated sexual harassment allegations against the main three band members who saw through her lies and wanted her out. Later she addressed the entire group, promising no more lies and that she was trying to be a better person--that she felt that the person she was when she was playing was the better person that she strived to be in life. Unfortunately, Grimm has not been successful in that aim. She went on to publically conflate an unfortunate incident within my then broken relationship with Thomas Ellis--an incident she uses lies to describe--with a rape allegation she made against producer Michael Gira from 2008, two completely unrelated stories beyond Grimm’s opportunistic linking in order to publicise her new album.
-Margaret Morris of Heroes Are Gang Leaders

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

HorseRenoir posted:

Her FB account has a link to the article specifically mentioning the comments she wrote on it

Ah ok. Didn't know that.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

drat can't believe Gira is a rapist, just like Conor Oberst.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Carmant posted:

drat can't believe Gira is a rapist, just like Conor Oberst.

but not Isaac Brock!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Gira's ex-wife (and wife at the time) commented on all this a few days ago in the comment section of an article on rape culture in the music industry: http://observer.com/2016/03/i-stand-with-kesha-why-men-should-address-musics-rape-culture-problem-right-now/

quote:

Hello. My name is Siobhan Duffy and I am Michael's ex wife. The wife married to him (together for 12 years) while Larkin and Michael worked together. It is shameful what Ms. Grimm has done. Michael is not a rapist. And we will be making a more offical statement soon with proof of either her instabilty and her intent to ruin Michael's life work. Michael and I divorced in 2011. In 2013 Larkin wrote me on Facebook messenger (not a public post) which starts..."Dear Siobhan, I'm Sorry, I'm sorry,I'm so, so, sorry for being an immature manipulative untrustworthy whore,losing my way,being constantly high, and not follwoing my conscience when you welcomed me into your home." She goes on to tell me about the drunken night of fooling around that never included coitus. And many people that worked with both Larkin and Michael reveal that she was bragging about it at the time and finding it laughable that he was afraid his wife (me) would find out. She taunted him with telling me. When she wrote to me and spoke to Michael about it, I asked him to remove her from his label out of respect of me. Larkin claims that when she confronted him with rape, which never happened, he removed her from the label. Another false statement. And this one Facebook post has brought his 30 plus career and his name into question? It seems the media does not fact check anything anymore. Making false claims of rape can ruin someone's life, but also it undermines every true report of rape. And as seen from above, Larkin is now trying to capitalize on the current hot topic of rape in the music industry. She even mentions Kehsa in her FB post. Yes Larkin, you finally got your name in Billboard, but at what price to Michael and his family?
Check your FACTS. #IstandwithGIRA #LarkinISLYING

And I would like to add that Michael Gira is one of several men being accused by Larkin Grimm of sexual misconduct, all of whom terminated their working relationships with her. Who is the problem?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

that's already been posted

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

So it has. Oops

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
So...on a lighter note...

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Tour dates, too, they're not on the site yet so here:
SWANS TOUR 2016
North America
7/6 – Philadelphia PA, Union Transfer
7/7 – Boston MA, Royale Nightclub
7/8 – Providence RI, Fete
7/9 – Quebec QC, Le Cercle
7/10 – Toronto ON, Danforth Music Hall
7/12 – Detroit MI, St Andrews Hall
7/13 – Milwaukee WI, Shank Hall
7/14 – Minneapolis MN, Fine Line Music Cafe
7/15 – Chicago IL, Lincoln Hall
7/16 – Chicago IL, Lincoln Hall
7/18 – Cleveland OH, Beachland Ballroom
7/19 – Cincinnati OH, Woodward Theater
7/21 – Louisville KY, Headliner’s Music Hall
7/22 – Atlanta GA, Terminal West
7/23 – Asheville NC, Orange Peel
7/24 – Nashville TN, Exit / In
7/26 – Carrboro NC, Cats Cradle
7/27 – Richmond VA The Broadberry
7/28 – Washington DC, 9:30 CLUB
7/29 – New York NY, Bowery Ballroom
7/30 – Brooklyn NY, Music Hall of Williamsburg
*with support from Okkyung Lee

9/1 – Tucson AZ, Rialto Theater
9/2 – Los Angeles CA, Fonda Theater
9/3 – San Francisco CA, The Regency Grand Ballroom
9/4 – Portland OR, Wonder Ballroom
9/6 – Vancouver BC, Venue
9/7 – Seattle WA, The Showbox
9/9 – Salt Lake City UT, Urban Lounge
9/10 – Denver CO, Gothic Theater
9/12 – Dallas TX, Trees
9/13 – Austin TX, Mohawk Austin
9/14 – San Antonio TX, Paper Tiger
9/15 – Albuquerque NM, Sunshine Theater
9/16 Sept – Phoenix AZ, Crescent Ballroom
*with support from Baby Dee

Europe
10/6 – Brussels BE, Oranjerie Botantique
10/7 – Eindhoven NL, De Effenaar
10/8 – Brighton UK, Concorde 2
10/9 – Manchester UK, HMV Ritz
10/11 – Glasgow UK, Oran Mor
10/12 – Newcastle Upon Tyne UK, Northumbria University
10/13 – London, UK, Islington Assembly Hall
10/14 – London, UK, Islington Assembly Hall
10/15 – Reims FR, La Cartonnerie
10/17 – Hamburg DE, Kampnagel
10/18 – Berlin DE, Huxleys Neue Welt
10/19 – Prague CZ, Divaldo ARCHA Theatre
10/21 – Budapest HU, A38 Ship
10/22 – Vienna AT, Arena Big Hall
10/23 – Graz AT, Orpheum Extra
10/25 – Ljubljana SL, Kino Kiska Centre for Urban Culture
10/26 – Zagreb HR, Lauba
10/28 – Basel CH, Kaserne
10/29 – Vevey CH, Rocking Chair
10/30 – Bern CH, Reitschule Dachstock
11/1 – Tourcoin FR, Le Grand Mix
11/2 – Nimes FR, La Paloma
11/5 – Bologna IT, Teatro Auditorium Manzoni
11/6 – Rome IT, Orion Live Club
11/8 – Nantes FR, Stereolux
11/9 – Paris FR, Le Trabendo
11/10 – Cologne DE, Gebδude 9
11/11 – Munich DE, Feierwerk
11/12 – Wiesbaden DE, Kulturezentrum Schlachthof

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Man, no KC or STL? Bummer...

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka_hKb7dSiY

gently caress

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Lincoln Hall is small enough that I might die if I go

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is probably going to be one of my top 5 albums of the year, no question :allears:

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
The music is most likely going to be great but the cover isn't very good.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Franz von Dada posted:

The music is most likely going to be great but the cover isn't very good.

I'm assuming it'll look better when it's embossed on cardboard and not a quick mockup made in Photoshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I'm going to be honest they should have stopped releasing music in *checks wikipedia page* 1996 and Gira should have killed himself or something to make the old Swans albums even cooler

• Locked thread