Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I made the mistake of playing the Deutschland again. I lost a 1v1 gunfight with an equal tier DD without seeing him a single time, with a full spotting/camo crew. I'm not even certain seeing him would have made much difference given how fast he dunked this awful thing and how awful the guns are.

This ship is the first one I have literally no fun in and simply cannot win games in without being carried in a huge way by my team.

ALL THESE SHIPS ARE FUN—EXCEPT DEUTSCHLAND
ATTEMPT NO MATCHES THERE

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Did you not have an Emden.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Did you not have an Emden.

I did. This is somehow worse.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Warbadger posted:

I did. This is somehow worse.

Imagine an endless scream of horror at being told what I thought was the worst was not.

So, is there any reason to go up the German Cruiser line at all? Or do I just stop at the Hipper?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Imagine an endless scream of horror at being told what I thought was the worst was not.

So, is there any reason to go up the German Cruiser line at all? Or do I just stop at the Hipper?

The Hipper is a good boat.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jintsu doesn't look like it'll be any match for my sexy Yubari.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
What are the Jintsu specs?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's a T4 Kuma.

E:

However, it is pretty good.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 1, 2016

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I forgot that today was when they give out Fleet Battle rewards. When do they give out the rewards for 5v5 battles again?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Danann posted:

I forgot that today was when they give out Fleet Battle rewards. When do they give out the rewards for 5v5 battles again?

Today is also when they have fleet battles! Sign on if you're available, we've had trouble getting a team the last few weeks and need everyone we can get!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I'll try to make it one babies are sleeping.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
We made US Pacific fleet ragequit. Will upload footage of the final game against them tomorrow when I'm not exhausted.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have participated in a Goonram during Fleet Battles.

My Steel Ocean career is complete.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I got wedged against the BB we were swarming and stuck going 31 knots...backwards.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
And here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iye6fUGt3Hg

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Protip to enemy DDs: Do not go in straight lines. Your Laforey won't save you from a full barrage of HE Pennsylvania's hot fury.

Also, Jintsu continues to be legit.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 2, 2016

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Not a bad way to finish grinding exp for the Brooklyn and Nawleans.

If you see goon, play with goon, it is almost guaranteed to be more fun than trying to communicate with the pubbies.

Holy poo poo the T8 Japanese Submarine actually has a suicide torpedo on the deck in this game https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiten

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 4, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Konigsberg 1927 remains extremely my poo poo. Ripping Aobas and Pensas apart with a CL is hilarious and blowing up DDs is always good and valuable to team.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Peak steelocean.jpg matchmaking.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

We need at least one more for fleet battles.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Just about time for Botefight! C'mon, Goons, let's see if we can humiliate a bad pub fleet enough to get them to quit entirely again.

Get in here you nerds.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 6, 2016

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Log082 posted:

We need at least one more for fleet battles.

We need one of the guys who can accept applications - Xaphan is a friend of (someone) but nobody can accept it, so we're sitting at 6.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Logged in today to get my sweet rewards, been farming it up in Stardew Valley because I'm a gigantic nerd (and the game is great), but I'll probably start playing again sometime this week.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
There's something wrong with the Laforey's disguise, not being able to counter-spot a firing-at-me Laforey when I have an equal tier destroyer (maxed, with range finder) with arashi and luckner is just dumb as poo poo. In the hands of a player who knows this the only times I can handle them are when I'm in a US CA and have some sacrificial DD on my side. Or when one stops at 3km behind a rock thinking he's unspotted, and unload a Pennsylvania's worth of HE in to him, killing him instantly. Most of my pubbie teammates don't seem to get the danger of course.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm guessing he was probably using EMP Guy and had Cunning so he wasn't losing Disguise for firing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Got back after two weeks. Looking at upcoming rewards:

-It's too bad they didn't offer a bigger reward for using a carrier to kill a carrier. This would encourage people to play carriers so the queue times wouldn't be as painful particularly at higher tiers.

-The reward for two wins in a Japanese ship seem better than the US version. Premium smoke is nice, premium repair is more of a minor convenience and premium fire extinguisher is good but really situational.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I find doing both events is viable if you have a large selection of boats to use. Play one non-elite boat of USA and Japan, and then play elited boats to wrap up the events plus Elite Attack.

It also reminds me that I should probably think about using the gold consumables one day. It's just sitting in my inventory and I keep forgetting to use them in 5v5s.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pubby DDs are disappointing, whichever side they're on.

We had one today who tried to hide behind us BBs instead of scout at T6. He was our only light scout craft. Guess how that game went!

Similarly, I had a Bagley get to within 1.5km of my Kongo, miss all 8 torps (but I was facing away, having seen him coming, so that's understandable) and then get turned and try again when my HE secondaries failed to kill him on the first volley. He managed to miss every single torpedo at 700m from a BB. Every single one. Then get vaporized by my Secondaries.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Pubby DDs are disappointing, whichever side they're on.

We had one today who tried to hide behind us BBs instead of scout at T6. He was our only light scout craft. Guess how that game went!

Similarly, I had a Bagley get to within 1.5km of my Kongo, miss all 8 torps (but I was facing away, having seen him coming, so that's understandable) and then get turned and try again when my HE secondaries failed to kill him on the first volley. He managed to miss every single torpedo at 700m from a BB. Every single one. Then get vaporized by my Secondaries.

I'm not sure which is worse to end up with: pubbies who can't click on boats or pubbie DDs. They will both lose you the game in the most painful way possible.

God help you if you get both. :shepicide:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Are goons doing fleet battles? I'm heading home now.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Steel Ocean - China did not censor dick

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
dicks or rear end

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Today we had a Nagato Proto park his boat over a sub and then yell at our CV for not torpedo bombing it when he was, you know, in a place where any missed shot would hit him. Thankfully, Repulse baiting subs into a stern chase and blowing them apart still works.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Last two days I've had a horrible series of matches. Long queue times, losing streaks have made me get really discouraged. I still need to get to tier 8 for the last tier of the growth plan but I'm lucky if I get 1 or 2 matches a day at that tier and even more lucky if I happen to win.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It turns out even the Nagato Proto can work, despite being the worst BB in the game.

That thing is still a total garbage fire of a boat, though. Using the 10 secondaries requires you to get close to something, which isn't a good idea in a Japanese BB at tier 6. The main guns are nearly useless against light craft because they just don't have the volume of fire or shell velocity you need. And their pen is surprisingly anemic for 16 inch cannons, which means they struggle with heavily armored BBs. It can do a number on heavy cruisers, but what can't?

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 11, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I've heard the lack of high tier matches is due to this horrible cycle:

-Experienced players who want to play vs other high tier ships lack opponents. If they do find opponents, they are often stuck in 3v3 matches. This is kind of lose-lose no matter how well you do; if you do horribly, it feels like a huge waste of time. But even if you do well, the lack of targets/damage potential means you don't even get that much exp for the effort.

-There are more players at lower tiers, but many newbies are up against bored seal clubbers that have nobody else to fight. Getting clubbed against a 2 star admiral that can singlehandedly sink 7+ ships on his own can be frustrating to newer players, who are just trying to claw their way up the tiers. Many quit.

-Experienced players don't have any up-and-comers to fight against in their shiny new tier 7/8/9/10 because most of the fresh blood quits the game before getting past tier 5. So they go back to seal clubbing and the cycle begins anew :negative:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Update: Nagato Proto stops sucking when you upgrade the guns and secondaries. A penetration is doing 800+ damage and a bounce is still doing 250.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 12, 2016

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Panfilo posted:

I've heard the lack of high tier matches is due to this horrible cycle:

-Experienced players who want to play vs other high tier ships lack opponents. If they do find opponents, they are often stuck in 3v3 matches. This is kind of lose-lose no matter how well you do; if you do horribly, it feels like a huge waste of time. But even if you do well, the lack of targets/damage potential means you don't even get that much exp for the effort.

-There are more players at lower tiers, but many newbies are up against bored seal clubbers that have nobody else to fight. Getting clubbed against a 2 star admiral that can singlehandedly sink 7+ ships on his own can be frustrating to newer players, who are just trying to claw their way up the tiers. Many quit.

-Experienced players don't have any up-and-comers to fight against in their shiny new tier 7/8/9/10 because most of the fresh blood quits the game before getting past tier 5. So they go back to seal clubbing and the cycle begins anew :negative:

This sounds about right. I play a t6 or higher match maybe twice a day (for the double on the first win), and then play whatever T5 ships I enjoy for commander training for their first win of the day until I get the events. I used global XP to get a t8 to finish off the growth plan once I hit the Colorado, because it sucks and the higher tier matches are rarely all that enjoyable because of optimized playstyles. t6/t5 games tend to be decently sized and fun though.

But other than the doubles on Porter/Nevada and events I don't play much each day anymore. At least at T5 it doesn't feel like seal clubbing, as usually by that point people aren't all super clueless. Rarely I'll take the Fubuki out for a win for the current merit event, but it's just not that fun or challenging. A good t5 match tends to be about the right mix of good people, decent ships, and decent numbers.

Night10194 posted:

Update: Nagato Proto stops sucking when you upgrade the guns and secondaries. A penetration is doing 800+ damage and a bounce is still doing 250.

I find that past t5 it's essential for your sanity to just buy certain upgrades (main guns, radar, etc) with global xp before hopping in a ship, rather than playing 20+ matches to upgrade. I didn't do that in the Pennsylvania (and Benson/Northampton, which I regret now) and it wasn't too bad, but that's because it's a good ship. Otherwise you are stuck with a way crappier ship than your enemies, and losses means a hell of a lot XP which means playing way more matches before you get said upgrades.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Night10194 posted:

Nah it's still garbage. The Kongo 1931 is fine with the same slow firing/high damage setup, but the Nagato Proto does less damage for its tier, is slower, and dies faster.
Compared to the Ise you sacrifice a lot of damage over time (Proto does ~10% less damage per minute, and is a tier higher) and your scout plane, and all you get for it is an extra knot and marginally better secondary guns. If the Ise had the same health it would be a much better tier 6 than the Nagato Proto (the BBV is better in every meaningful way, too).

The Nagato Proto might be OK if it had something like 720 damage per bullet, Ersatz Yorck range or noticeably better penetration. Maybe two of the three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh, it's still by far the worst of the T6 BBs, it's just, you know, bearable now.

• Locked thread