Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

I often find myself skim reading the terminals in Fallout 4, whereas in New Vegas I devoured them whenever I found one. The writing in so many FO4 ones is just dull.

Which is funny because terminals took a huge step down from Fallout 3 to New Vegas. I thought 4 was more a return to form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I thought the mission the Railroad (or Brotherhood?) gives you to recover technology from the abandoned settlement that was destroyed by the institute over the old tech the girl found has a pretty compelling story told only through terminals. Did FO3 or FNV have so many terminals that just repeat something on another terminal? It does make me want to skip terminals as the game goes on because I just get tired of reading terminals constantly.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 4, 2016

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I really enjoyed the writing about the two raider gangs, one of whom captured the sister of the other gangs leader.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Cyrano4747 posted:

Do you skip every terminal entry in the game? This isn't just a FO4 thing either, those have been used for giving you an idea of what's going on and what everyone's backstories, agendas, etc are in both FO3 and FONV.

Read some but skipped over lot. If they are going to hide the plot in text and not bother, why should I bother trying to find it?

Weak, flimsy dark souls logic there.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Deified Data posted:

Which is funny because terminals took a huge step down from Fallout 3 to New Vegas. I thought 4 was more a return to form.

I'd argue this is their best work, as far as terminal entries go. Its tough to compare to all the books you find in TES games, but I'd say its comparable if not better, taking into account that TES gets to reuse a lot of its lore from game to game.

Tenzarin posted:

Weak, flimsy logic here.

Agreed.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Do you skip every terminal entry in the game? This isn't just a FO4 thing either, those have been used for giving you an idea of what's going on and what everyone's backstories, agendas, etc are in both FO3 and FONV.

I'm not going to fight and die over whether she talks about it (mostly because I"m not loading a save that far back) but there are a shitton of terminal entries on at least 4 different peoples terminals about that issue. IIRC she lost her legs when she had to jump off a cliff to avoid getting splattered by a mini nuke.

You definitely have the option of talking to her about it when she mentions it, you'd have to be playing the game alt-tabbed or in a completely different room to miss it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Magmarashi posted:

You definitely have the option of talking to her about it when she mentions it, you'd have to be playing the game alt-tabbed or in a completely different room to miss it.

Ok, I thought so but it's been a while since I did that part.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yeah the only reason I even noticed her legs were missing is because there was a conversation with her about it.

There's a lot of things this game could do with being held accountable for, so it's pretty amazing how you keep glossing over the things it actually does bother to do.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Tenzarin posted:

Read some but skipped over lot. If they are going to hide the plot in text and not bother, why should I bother trying to find it?

Weak, flimsy dark souls logic there.

It's not so much plot as it is world building and humor. You get a lot of backstory about the lead up to the war from the terminals, as well as mini stories about the areas you are in from people writing entries into the terminals.

Some of my favorite parts of Fallout are exploring the vaults and reading the terminals left behind by the residents.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Ron Jeremy posted:

I really enjoyed the writing about the two raider gangs, one of whom captured the sister of the other gangs leader.

I really wish they'd done more with this.

Actually

That could pretty much be the thread title.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Davoren posted:

Yeah the only reason I even noticed her legs were missing is because there was a conversation with her about it.

There's a lot of things this game could do with being held accountable for, so it's pretty amazing how you keep glossing over the things it actually does bother to do.

Why wouldn't somebody just stimpak her???

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

SyHopeful posted:

Why wouldn't somebody just stimpak her???

She was clearly playing in ultra-survivor mode.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

WAR FOOT posted:

I really wish they'd done more with this.

Actually

That could pretty much be the thread title.

:effort:
I think everyone who plays this game spends 5 minutes trying to figure out of they missed something the first time they encounter the Combat Zone or Easy City Downs, because they couldn't possibly just be generic raider dens that auto-aggro like all the others.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Always wanted to play with limb destruction not being fatal.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Ron Jeremy posted:

The raider terminals were pretty great in general, especially when they had entries about you wiping out rival raider strongholds.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I recently got an Xbox One and have been playing this.

I've also recently realized I'm a god drat moron because I didn't realize you could pick other skills to learn other than the ones on the top rows. I thought you had to hit a threshold before the lower ones open up.

Good news is I almost have the entire top row maxed out.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Joey Freshwater posted:

I've also recently realized I'm a god drat moron because I didn't realize you could pick other skills to learn other than the ones on the top rows. I thought you had to hit a threshold before the lower ones open up.

What is VANS like?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

What is VANS like?

what

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I've always wondered what VANS looked like as well.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

It's just a green line to your destination

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's exactly the same as the clairvoyance spell in Skyrim.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Joey Freshwater posted:

I literally did this exact thing.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I didn't fill up on the early skills but I spent way too long trying to figure out how to scroll down the thing.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

The top row as in stats?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Joey Freshwater posted:

This is the first fallout i've played and it took me 25 levels to figure this out. You aren't the only one.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This is the first game using this perk system, willing to bet it was a common issue.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Y'all must have rolled with 6 charisma because the first thing I did was bumrush Chr to get the local leader perk.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Charisma was my dump stat, for the first time in any Fallout game.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

WAR FOOT posted:

Charisma was my dump stat, for the first time in any Fallout game.

Did you not play Fallout 1, 3 or New Vegas?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Eh, they all had Speech checks that those few extra points helped for. In FO4, speech is just for 150/200/250 caps for completing a mission, and the majority of companions dislike you doing so.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah but you could upgrade speech with skill points when you leveled up, so there was no bonus to wasting a bunch of special points on it. Charisma at 1 is the most basic rule of FNV and FO3. Compared to now where you need charisma to build stores to buy all your water. FO4 doesn't really have a dump stat. You need at least 3 in everything.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Yeah but you could upgrade speech with skill points when you leveled up, so there was no bonus to wasting a bunch of special points on it. Charisma at 1 is the most basic rule of FNV and FO3. Compared to now where you need charisma to build stores to buy all your water. FO4 doesn't really have a dump stat. You need at least 3 in everything.

You don't need stores at all. You don't need one to finish the game.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ron Jeremy posted:

You don't need stores at all. You don't need one to finish the game.

Yeah, but it still makes it a hell of a lot easier to buy cool poo poo and make money, which makes it way more valuable than anything charisma in FNV or FO3 had to offer. And lone wanderer is still a good perk if you're doing a run where you don't care about settlements.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Volkerball posted:

I've been getting along great as a sniper/ninja with 1 strength and 1 endurance. Unless you're doing a pain train build 1 end is arguably the best thing you can do for a character.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Filthy Casual posted:

I've been getting along great as a sniper/ninja with 1 strength and 1 endurance. Unless you're doing a pain train build 1 end is arguably the best thing you can do for a character.

On what difficulty? Lifegiver is really, really nice to have on higher ones.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Last playthrough I noticed how often the traders show up at Sanctuary hills, really lowers how good the store is. You can also hit up the diner and bunker hill for fast trading.

End is basically useless also. Luck is only really good if you use vats, if you dont then luck is pointless. Agi is only really needed for vats, stealth, melee-vats. Per is just for vats also. If your never use vats you can drop a poo poo ton of the stats. The perk system in general is kinda boring now.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 5, 2016

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

Its too late your money is gay now

Volkerball posted:

There is no real reason to get anything more than a 1 in END. None of the perks are necessary and it isn't hard to survive even on Survival with the lowered HP as long as you have some kind of strategy like stealth/power armor/excessive VATS use.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
One endurance means you don't get aquagirl though.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Common Sensei posted:

There is no real reason to get anything more than a 1 in END. None of the perks are necessary and it isn't hard to survive even on Survival with the lowered HP as long as you have some kind of strategy like stealth/power armor/excessive VATS use.

I guess if you sneak absolutely all the time, or use power armor all the time, you might get away with 1 END. Other that these two extremes, I dare anyone to do Survival with 1 END.

Besides, like all Bethesda games, sneaking is weak until you get the "run and sneak" perk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nasgate posted:

One endurance means you don't get aquagirl though.

Yeah, that one is surprisingly nice. It's annoying as hell to constantly have a little sliver of radiation poisoning because you ran through a puddle after your last shot of radaway.

• Locked thread