Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Is the turn Japan christian-achievement solely based on luck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You just have to stay a Daimyo, because you can't convert once you've formed Japan.

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.

Star posted:

Is the turn Japan christian-achievement solely based on luck?

There's a random event that fires when you get "discovered" by a European nation which will start turning random provinces Christian. Then you'll occasionally get stacks of Catholic Zealots spawning in. I just let the Zealots march around force-converting Japan until Christianity was the majority then accepted the demands.

Apparently there's like a tiny chance of the event not firing, but for me it happened around 30-40 years after I unified Japan. Once that happens and the Zealots spawn in you can let them do their thing and convert any leftover Shinto provinces later.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

YoSaff posted:

There's a random event that fires when you get "discovered" by a European nation which will start turning random provinces Christian. Then you'll occasionally get stacks of Catholic Zealots spawning in. I just let the Zealots march around force-converting Japan until Christianity was the majority then accepted the demands.

Apparently there's like a tiny chance of the event not firing, but for me it happened around 30-40 years after I unified Japan. Once that happens and the Zealots spawn in you can let them do their thing and convert any leftover Shinto provinces later.

Okey, that worked really good. I've had the rebels for ever but somehow I thought that they didn't convert provinces so I've beat them down every time. But now they fixed everything for me! Cheers

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just got a billion AE for forcing my enemy to return cores to my vassal, but I could swear that returning cores was an AE-less peace option? Am I losing my mind?

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

I just got a billion AE for forcing my enemy to return cores to my vassal, but I could swear that returning cores was an AE-less peace option? Am I losing my mind?

It's reduced but not zero for your vassals. Returning cores to non-vassals is free though
E: I think it's also barely reduced if you don't use the reconquest CB

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

PittTheElder posted:

You just have to stay a Daimyo, because you can't convert once you've formed Japan.

lmao, yes you absolutely can. you have to let Christian rebels enforce their demands. you do, however, have to start as a daimyo, since that is specified in the achievement description (I learned that the hard way).

AFAIK the inability to convert from the religion screen is tied to the Shinto religion, not government type.

I've done more Japan campaigns than anything else, I made two runs to get that achievement (as mentioned the first one was self-sabotaged because I stupidly started as the shogun), and I have never done a Japan campaign where I didn't immediately conquer/annex all of Japan and become shogun within the first few decades. so this is one of the very rare instances in this thread where I feel qualified to say I really know what I'm talking about.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 4, 2016

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Fauxbot posted:

Welp playing as Morocco suddenly gets a lot harder
1) Park army on your side of the strait.
2) Watch as Spanish nations walk across said straight rather than try a naval invasion
3) Reap the mountain and straight-crossing defensive bonuses.
4) Repeat

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

lmao, yes you absolutely can. you have to let Christian rebels enforce their demands. you do, however, have to start as a daimyo, since that is specified in the achievement description (I learned that the hard way).

AFAIK the inability to convert from the religion screen is tied to the Shinto religion, not government type.

I've done more Japan campaigns than anything else, I made two runs to get that achievement (as mentioned the first one was self-sabotaged because I stupidly started as the shogun), and I have never done a Japan campaign where I didn't immediately conquer/annex all of Japan and become shogun within the first few decades. so this is one of the very rare instances in this thread where I feel qualified to say I really know what I'm talking about.

Pitt is right about how Japan worked at EU4's launch; I remember well, having been completely wrecked by rebels at the time. I assume Paradox changed at some point since. (Which is good, because the old way was very stupid.)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Well I'll concede the point then, but is there not a decision that will convert you to Catholic as a Daimyo?

e: VVV: No, that one can be taken as Japan.

e2: It's possible that Paradox changed how it worked and I just didn't notice, I haven't played as Japan in ages.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 4, 2016

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

There is a decision you can take that'll prevent random province conversions from occuring. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I recall, it is an event rather than a decision, for a daimyo to convert without use of rebels.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Can I just say that I really really loving hate that I cannot just surrender in EU4? Why do I not have the option to offer -100% warscore to my enemies to end the current war?

As Bengal I supported the independence of one of my rival's vassals. That vassal declared an independence war with us outnumbered 1:3 so I just want to give up instead of dealing with 5+ years of occupations and the AI chasing down my army and whatever, and I loving cant. I have to sit here and get assfucked by the AI for five years before i can end this poo poo that I got into because I made a bad decision and I am trying to do Ironman.

This why is I feel like you have to play the game like a zombie and ignore allies, ignore politics, ignore everyhing and just focus on yourself and loving the AI, and it loving sucks sometimes.

edit: yup, my Bengal Tiger run is over because I tried supporting the independence of one of my rivals vassals and now I have learned that I never again will EVER do so because my game got ruined by it. I lost like 6 vital provinces to my main rival because the vassal AI thought that 1:3 odds were a good idea? I didnt even have the option of saying "lol no you're a loving idiot, good luck on your own rear end in a top hat". This is so loving infuriating.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 5, 2016

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I guess dont play Ironman if you're not a Man of Iron

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bitter Mushroom posted:

I guess dont play Ironman if you're not a Man of Iron
Pretty much. I'm just tired of getting screwed by obtuse mechanics that you learn how they work by the game loving you with them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Any opinions on which country is the best for West Africa? I started off a game as Mali, and I noticed straight away that I was seriously hamstrung by my awful starting monarch's stats and the need to reform my government. I still managed to catch up the Europeans by about 1550 though, and trounced them pretty soundly by going super defensive and using my impenetrable malaria-infested hellhole of an empire to my advantage.

I'm thinking Zazzau would be a good choice.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Best as in easiest? Songhai is (I think) the only country that doesn't need to reform down there, but their ruler/heir are both godawful (1's and 0's) and old. You can cut a line straight south and try to juggle east and west early on.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If I remember correctly, Songhai is the Prussia of West Africa in terms of ideas, but yeah they start off with the worst rule + heir combo I can think of.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

PittTheElder posted:

Well I'll concede the point then, but is there not a decision that will convert you to Catholic as a Daimyo?

to be honest I don't know, in every campaign I've played as them I've united Japan long before any Christians show up.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fister Roboto posted:

Any opinions on which country is the best for West Africa? I started off a game as Mali, and I noticed straight away that I was seriously hamstrung by my awful starting monarch's stats and the need to reform my government. I still managed to catch up the Europeans by about 1550 though, and trounced them pretty soundly by going super defensive and using my impenetrable malaria-infested hellhole of an empire to my advantage.

I'm thinking Zazzau would be a good choice.

Zazzau have a young god-queen who is also a general, but start out small, are tribal, and animist; Songhai have the best NIs and are non tribal but have a really old ruler and heir and also a somewhat annoying starting position due to the alliances that tend to form; Mali are the richest with the best start position and have probably the 2nd best NI set but have a poo poo tier 14 year old heir.

Bort Bortles posted:

Can I just say that I really really loving hate that I cannot just surrender in EU4? Why do I not have the option to offer -100% warscore to my enemies to end the current war?

As Bengal I supported the independence of one of my rival's vassals. That vassal declared an independence war with us outnumbered 1:3 so I just want to give up instead of dealing with 5+ years of occupations and the AI chasing down my army and whatever, and I loving cant. I have to sit here and get assfucked by the AI for five years before i can end this poo poo that I got into because I made a bad decision and I am trying to do Ironman.

This why is I feel like you have to play the game like a zombie and ignore allies, ignore politics, ignore everyhing and just focus on yourself and loving the AI, and it loving sucks sometimes.

edit: yup, my Bengal Tiger run is over because I tried supporting the independence of one of my rivals vassals and now I have learned that I never again will EVER do so because my game got ruined by it. I lost like 6 vital provinces to my main rival because the vassal AI thought that 1:3 odds were a good idea? I didnt even have the option of saying "lol no you're a loving idiot, good luck on your own rear end in a top hat". This is so loving infuriating.

Yeah it's kind of a bad part of the game design and has been getting worse the more that they try to make diplomacy 'interesting' (read: non-exploitable). The only allies worth having are ones that are massively stronger than you and you should almost never join a coalition or support independance because it can remove your ability to make your own decisions on when to go to war.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any DLC packs i can buy because i only own Res Publica Art of War and Wealth of Nations and i'd really like to update my EU4 DLC collection but i don't want to spend as much money as those crazy people who spend hundreds in the train simulator game :negative:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mans posted:

Are there any DLC packs i can buy because i only own Res Publica Art of War and Wealth of Nations and i'd really like to update my EU4 DLC collection but i don't want to spend as much money as those crazy people who spend hundreds in the train simulator game :negative:
Just keep an eye out for a sale, they happen all the time. They are all worth having.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Mans posted:

Whenever a new DLC is released, all the old stuff usually goes on sale. So you should be able to pick up stuff fairly soon.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
All the DLC should be cut down by at least half then.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Just doing my thing when all of a sudden Beta Israel Egypt:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That's crazy! Jews are forbidden from settling in Mitzrayim!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

MrBling posted:

Whenever a new DLC is released, all the old stuff usually goes on sale. So you should be able to pick up stuff fairly soon.

Yeah the new expansion was announced so it's probably only a month or so off.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Pretty pleased with the apparent performance of the Ottoman AI in that shot. I've always been disappointed by the EU4 Ottomans.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
:siren:Multiplayer interrupting the thread again:siren:

(not shown, Ottomans, Croatia, Pope, Westphalia, who are where you'd expect, and Wu, clinging to the Chinese coast)

The last couple of sessions have been extremely bloody coming into the 1700s. Much death, the downfall of former superpowers and the glorious ascendance of Tatarstan (please ignore how I am basically a poo poo Russia).

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

clamiam45 posted:

Just doing my thing when all of a sudden Beta Israel Egypt:

My god, that resolution. How large is your monitor?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So I learnt how trust works, when my alliance was abandoned by Russia because I had to decline some calls after Lithuania, Poland and Bohemia wrecked me. Ultimately they attacked again with the addition of Sweden and the only ally I had was Norway, I guess I will have to try another Prussia game and stay faithful to my allies this time! btw is there anyway to build up trust without using favors? Since I had poo poo trust with all of Europe which prevented me from getting any alliances and I didn't find any way to raise it.

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 6, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lesson learned as Songhai: do NOT colonize Tuat. It's a 1/1/1 shithole that's not even in your home trade node, so all it does is cost you money and give Morocco a casus belli. Morocco WILL kick your rear end.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Lesson learned as Songhai: do NOT colonize Tuat. It's a 1/1/1 shithole that's not even in your home trade node, so all it does is cost you money and give Morocco a casus belli. Morocco WILL kick your rear end.

Also at around 1550 it will be colonized by event if morocco exists in the two northern provinces bordering it. If i'm doing a campaign in north africa I leave them alive in those two provinces so they will open up west africa for me without needing exploration/expansion ideas.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

PleasingFungus posted:

I play it on a 30 inch tv and you can't read poo poo

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Another look at the world's best-named exclave. You've gotta get close in there to read it.

PleasingFungus posted:

It's 4k, I love it! This is the monitor for reference: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SCX78JS

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If I am going to be Admin Ottomans that is going for Master of India should I bother vassalizing any Indian minors considering the coring discount I will have? It is 1539 and I could start a war to go fetch myself Vienna but I am thinking I would want to wait to Westernize till I establish a few vassals in India, if they are worth it?

clamiam45 posted:

Another look at the world's best-named exclave. You've gotta get close in there to read it.

It's 4k, I love it! This is the monitor for reference: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SCX78JS
I cant read it :(

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

If I am going to be Admin Ottomans that is going for Master of India should I bother vassalizing any Indian minors considering the coring discount I will have? It is 1539 and I could start a war to go fetch myself Vienna but I am thinking I would want to wait to Westernize till I establish a few vassals in India, if they are worth it?

I cant read it :(

Sorry, Beta Israel Central Ethiopia. I think the cultural name for Semien is Beta Israel.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Obliterati posted:

:siren:Multiplayer interrupting the thread again:siren:

(not shown, Ottomans, Croatia, Pope, Westphalia, who are where you'd expect, and Wu, clinging to the Chinese coast)

The last couple of sessions have been extremely bloody coming into the 1700s. Much death, the downfall of former superpowers and the glorious ascendance of Tatarstan (please ignore how I am basically a poo poo Russia).

Go go la bohème! I'm so sorry I had to abandon you.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

Maybe one, just so you can still expand when you're fully overextended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jazerus posted:

Maybe one, just so you can still expand when you're fully overextended.
This is exactly what I was thinking about this morning, heh. Also I could feed this vassal toxic cores so when I annex them I dont pay anything extra for those toxic cores :v:

I also realized that even if I take Vienna now, I have to let the Separatism drop AND click a button to Westernize :derp:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 8, 2016

• Locked thread