Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
the twitter of babel

everyone speaking in one language: the hashtag

we were not ready as a species

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
My body is ready, my mind is open. Bring it on, I never wanted to keep my dignity anyway.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

True, but the whole "reactionaries vs. SJWs" nonsense is mostly a millenial version of the same old social issues we've always had. I'm betting the young people of today will probably carry that baggage into more mainstream avenues as they get older and more politically involved, and we'll only hear more and more about it.
It's going to be interesting, but I'm not really sure how. How are those events going to be contextualized 10,20,30 years from now, by those people? I dont' feel like I can answer that question, and because I can't, I'm not really sure who 'won'.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

if idiots in marginally popular media sites everywhere would stop bringing up that stupid poo poo, instead of comparing it to major political candidates to draw in page views, it wouldnt be relevant, hth

You seem triggered. Do you need a safe space?

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

rudatron posted:

My body is ready, my mind is open. Bring it on, I never wanted to keep my dignity anyway.

It's going to be interesting, but I'm not really sure how. How are those events going to be contextualized 10,20,30 years from now, by those people? I dont' feel like I can answer that question, and because I can't, I'm not really sure who 'won'.

channers win

they are the princes of trolling everyone

for further info, please see #boycottstarwars

Who What Now posted:

You seem triggered. Do you need a safe space?

i guess i shouldnt reveal the irony of using these now mainstream terms

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Instead of pretending to care about religious morals, the social conservatives of tomorrow will pretend to care about ethics in video game journalism, etc etc.

Trumpism is already the start of this shift basically, it shows that conservatives are moving on from gay marriage and abortion to a new anti-PC culture war. Here's an interesting article I read on this from a conservative perspective.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/02/18/pitchfork-trump/

quote:

Trump exists in a post-apocalyptic world for social conservatives, and he exists in it as an avowed secularist who gives off enough signals that he seems like an ally. So the culture war he fights in place of Buchanan’s is about political correctness, not abortion and gays. His secularism makes him difficult to balance against. The usual frame for greedy Republicans is that their faith makes them a hypocrite, but unlike other Bible thumpers, no one believes Trump has actually read the Bible.

In the wasteland, the strongman bully seems more tempting as a warrior against the foe than the soft optimist who speaks to our better angels. So instead of Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God or the Prosperity Gospel and Why God Wants You To Be Rich, Trump promises he will “make them say Merry Christmas” – and that is enough for the shell-shocked evangelicals of South Carolina, who have in the past two decades seen “them” do everything Pitchfork Pat predicted and worse.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MaxxBot posted:

Trumpism is already the start of this shift basically, it shows that conservatives are moving on from gay marriage and abortion to a new anti-PC culture war. Here's an interesting article I read on this from a conservative perspective.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/02/18/pitchfork-trump/

yeah, this is probably/is the future of conservatism or at least american conservatism. shitheads like milo and trump have found the perfect vain to burrow into. outright religious bigotry has failed them so they try pick up on /pol/ and reddit for ideas.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

Cruz I see truly as someone who wants to make sure our country brings on Armageddon. Like if you do even the slightest bit of digging? That's literally it. That's what his father wants, that's what he wants. (see his obsession with Israel, and wanting to have wars over seas).

I don't think (and god I hate typing this), Trump is interested in that. I can at least make an argument that he and Putin could perhaps get along thus repairing relations with those two countries.

I realize people are going to go to me and say "Well if Cruz or Rubio win? they'll get destroyed in the primary". That's fine. But I'm not taking my chances at all. I don't want those two men with any sort of chance at the presidency. If there is some sort of "ESCAPE FROM LA" like event that happens during this election cycle? We'. are. hosed.

Trump to me is the lesser of three evils. Kasich is the lesser of them all, but at this point? Give me Trump over those other two lunatics. (And give me Hillary and Bernie over everyone else)

An interesting counterpoint to this sort of thinking here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...c4ec_story.html

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-nuHKkEGLc

Thom Hartmann has an excellent segment on the topic we're discussing.

Aunt Teefa
Mar 17, 2015

Can we just go back to the part where that one dude corrected the other dude that used "hooting and hollerin" for racist speech? That didn't get enough attention and was pretty funny.

Aunt Teefa
Mar 17, 2015

Never mind, this is a serious thread. I shouldn't monkey around like that.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

lol u poz bro posted:

Never mind, this is a serious thread. I shouldn't monkey around like that.

look at this ape escape

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
"I'm only bigoted ironically. Trump 2016." - The New American Conservatism?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Mecha Gojira posted:

"I'm only bigoted ironically. Trump 2016." - The New American Conservatism?
Oddly enough, may actually be more likely to end racism in America than the usual Reagnite dogwhistling.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
You know what feels sad and horrible to me? Poor white communities do have a lot of issues. But instead of organising to deal with it constructively and positively, around their specific 'poor working white' identity, and working with politicians around a chosen set of goals for them, they go for the daddy strongman Trump. It's exactly like the men who have genuine issues with rape of men, family courts, male victims of domestic abuse and whatnot, but turn to MRAs.

I mean, Hillary probably has some specific set of plans for poor white communities, too. The plan for the West Virginia coal communities, for example. But if she's not met on the ground, unlike with the black communities, this will likely fail.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hillary's plan for poor communities in general is to ignore them, regardless of what she says.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

That's how much black voters mean to Hillary. She was seen in the same room with them while stumping on the campaign trail. She said some nice words, nothing definitive in terms of a plan of action or even a strong stance. Notice how many donors she has from the financial institutions who preyed on the black community before the mortgage crisis, then successfully scapegoated that community to save their lavish bonuses? Or how much she got from the institutions behind the whitest Oscars ever, who defended their lack of diversity by saying they can't nominate people they won't cast? The oscars are actually the perfect metaphor for what's happening here.

She's definitely going to gut welfare, maybe social security, and probably send troops overseas. She supports three strikes, drug prohibition, mandatory minimums, and private prisons. The financial sector will continue to widen the gap between the rich and the poor. She is the embodiment of a system that impoverishes, disenfranchises, and incarcerates black people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpAMbpQ8J7g&t=378s
("The worst slaveowners were those who were nice to their slaves.")

E: Also, capitalism "with a human face"

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 5, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!

SlipUp posted:

She's definitely going to gut welfare, maybe social security

I think you might be overstating things here.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

meristem posted:

You know what feels sad and horrible to me? Poor white communities do have a lot of issues. But instead of organising to deal with it constructively and positively, around their specific 'poor working white' identity, and working with politicians around a chosen set of goals for them, they go for the daddy strongman Trump.

Trump is a racist rear end in a top hat, but this may be the first time that a lot of :911: "Gods and Gun" types are being forced to look what the political elites, wall street, banks and big business have done to our nation. For years they were always sold on it being just a "liberal" problem. Now? Uh...I don't think they believe that any more.

We may hate the vessel, and a good portion of the message (as we should), but these people have been long used as pawns for the GOP in order pass agenda's that have destroyed a good portion of this country.

It sucks, I cringe every time I have to hear him denigrate women and minorities. But I don't believe that the wing nut base was ever going to be sold on the above without those things being included in the package. Frankly I don't know if they ever would have had Trump not appeared on the scene. You think someone like Rubio or Cruz would be saying some of the poo poo Trump has been saying? Hell no. We'd be getting the same old GOP talking points, and not a bit of progress would have been made.

Perhaps finally now that these people see that the "True believers" are all talk, no action and really are looking to gently caress over the average american? We can get things like Single Payer healthcare rolling for once.

Fake edit: Let me clarify, I'm not saying TRUMP will deliver on that. He won't. We all know that. But perhaps it will pay off down the line for our country in the long run to reshape people's perspective on things. The conversation is key here. Perhaps this say, forces Hillary to go progressive in general during her Presidency.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Majorian posted:

I think you might be overstating things here.

Ever hear of the "Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act" or "The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act"?

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

SlipUp posted:

That's how much black voters mean to Hillary. She was seen in the same room with them while stumping on the campaign trail. She said some nice words, nothing definitive in terms of a plan of action or even a strong stance. Notice how many donors she has from the financial institutions who preyed on the black community before the mortgage crisis, then successfully scapegoated that community to save their lavish bonuses? Or how much she got from the institutions behind the whitest Oscars ever, who defended their lack of diversity by saying they can't nominate people they won't cast? The oscars are actually the perfect metaphor for what's happening here.

She's definitely going to gut welfare, maybe social security, and probably send troops overseas. She supports three strikes, drug prohibition, mandatory minimums, and private prisons. The financial sector will continue to widen the gap between the rich and the poor. She is the embodiment of a system that impoverishes, disenfranchises, and incarcerates black people.

A worthwhile post, but it's black voters you've got to convince, because the limited evidence suggests they prefer Hillary to anyone else. If it came down to Hillary and Trump, it's a choice between all that bad poo poo you just listed and someone whose views are relatively unknown but includes "BLM is a bunch of troublemakers", sucking up to cops constantly, and race baiting (race baiting is never good for blacks even if the attacks are on other nonwhite races, and most realize this). Also, he has a good chance of being pulled to the right on both economics and social issues by a house full of Republicans with an even worse proven track record than Hillary. On the other hand, he did say he wants drugs legalized and regulated in a 2000 book!! It's not that hard to understand why even a clued-up black voter who knows all this would sooner cast a ballot for the lesser evil than vote Republican or do something else.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Perhaps finally now that these people see that the "True believers" are all talk, no action and really are looking to gently caress over the average american? We can get things like Single Payer healthcare rolling for once.

Fake edit: Let me clarify, I'm not saying TRUMP will deliver on that. He won't. We all know that. But perhaps it will pay off down the line for our country in the long run to reshape people's perspective on things. The conversation is key here. Perhaps this say, forces Hillary to go progressive in general during her Presidency.

This would be pretty good. Let's hope that they don't all have a really short memory/get manipulated back through platitudes about "job creators"/see a Trump failure as a reason to say "we put our faith in populism and it got us nowhere."

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Like I said in the USPol thread, I think it will result in an increase of right-wing domestic terrorism instead. The most important thing for Trump's people seems to be 'gently caress the society, gently caress political correctness'. They are not big on compromise.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

meristem posted:

Like I said in the USPol thread, I think it will result in an increase of right-wing domestic terrorism instead. The most important thing for Trump's people seems to be 'gently caress the society, gently caress political correctness'. They are not big on compromise.

We've already seen a rise in that with recent mass shootings and, more brazenly, the antics of the Bundy Clan. If and when Trump fails, I expect to see a lot more since he has emboldened groups like the KKK and stoked xenophobia. The question remains if it will be bad enough that even congress would have to admit it's happening.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

"Right-Wing Populism: Why now?"

Because uneducated, superstitious racists are particularly susceptible to hate-speech and propaganda after 8 years under an African American, democratic president.

The same reason that evangelism is flooding school board elections in the south.

They are trying to protect their lovely, dying 'way of life.'

(In spite of the fact that his policies were not too terribly different than the warhawking shitheel that preceded him and enjoyed wide support under the same demographic.)

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

LeeMajors posted:

"Right-Wing Populism: Why now?"

Because uneducated, superstitious racists are particularly susceptible to hate-speech and propaganda after 8 years under an African American, democratic president.

The same reason that evangelism is flooding school board elections in the south.

They are trying to protect their lovely, dying 'way of life.'

I voted for Obama, but i'm ready for Trump now that I am forced to pay the same for healthcare as a 60 year old, under penalty of law. Looking at $200 a month health insurance policies that don't really cover anything is certainly enough to redpill you on Obama. Also, Trump's foreign policy is also way better than Obama or Bush: let other countries handle their own business, don't get involved in military adventurism, and try to make deals whenever possible.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

on the left posted:

I voted for Obama, but i'm ready for Trump now that I am forced to pay the same for healthcare as a 60 year old, under penalty of law. Looking at $200 a month health insurance policies that don't really cover anything is certainly enough to redpill you on Obama. Also, Trump's foreign policy is also way better than Obama or Bush: let other countries handle their own business, don't get involved in military adventurism, and try to make deals whenever possible.

You said redpill.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

SlipUp posted:

Ever hear of the "Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act" or "The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act"?

Lots of black folks have heard of that, and yet still seem to be voting for Hillary.

Why do you think that is?

It's almost as if times have changed since the early 1990s!

Hell, not even the 1990s were your 1990s: http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2016/02/black-incarceration-didnt-explode-under-1994-crime-bill

There are lots legit of reasons to dislike Hillary. Hating her on behalf of black people everywhere is not one of them.

quote:

She's definitely going to gut welfare, maybe social security,

Wait, you brought up the those bills to show Hillary was going to cut entitlements?! :wtc:

Sarcastr0 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 5, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Why do people keep talking like Hilary has already won and it's gonna be Clinton v Trump in November?

Yes, Trump's pretty much going to run away with this poo poo. Hilary isn't that far ahead, super delegates aside, and Bernie didn't count on wining any of the Super Tuesday states outside of Vermont...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chilichimp posted:

Why do people keep talking like Hilary has already won and it's gonna be Clinton v Trump in November?

Yes, Trump's pretty much going to run away with this poo poo. Hilary isn't that far ahead, super delegates aside, and Bernie didn't count on wining any of the Super Tuesday states outside of Vermont...

Hillary won very big in a big state, and Bernie is going to have to do similar to catch up. From all the polling, it doesn't appear he's going to do that.

And that's a big lie. He specifically focused his efforts so he'd win in Massachusetts, Colorado, Minnesota, Oklahoma, and Vermont. And guess what, outside of Mass he did just that!

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

FuzzySkinner posted:

It sucks, I cringe every time I have to hear him denigrate women and minorities. But I don't believe that the wing nut base was ever going to be sold on the above without those things being included in the package. Frankly I don't know if they ever would have had Trump not appeared on the scene. You think someone like Rubio or Cruz would be saying some of the poo poo Trump has been saying? Hell no. We'd be getting the same old GOP talking points, and not a bit of progress would have been made.

After the dust settles from the 2016 election, the real question will be whether or not the Trump faction can be cajoled and brought back into supporting normal GOP candidates again in the future. Once they've had a taste of The Donald and his straight supply of Tellin' It Like It Is, I don't know how you go back to supporting the Mitt Romney's of the world and remain excited about that.

But as far as something like single payer healthcare, I don't think white working class communities are going to ever vote in large numbers for the party of minorities and open socialists. I just don't see that happening in our lifetimes. And as for the republican party, even if the Trump faction wins the struggle for the soul of the GOP, the moneyed elites that currently run the party will never, ever, not in a million years, allow a party plank consisting of something like socialized medicine. It runs counter to oligarch DNA. I think they would sooner splinter the republican party rather than accept an attempt to liberalize their economic agenda, even a little bit.

The best hope for the white working class is for the republican coalition to blow up into smithereens so that the democrats can revive our social institutions and drag poor white communities kicking and screaming into economic prosperity against their own will.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Hillary won very big in a big state, and Bernie is going to have to do similar to catch up. From all the polling, it doesn't appear he's going to do that.

And that's a big lie. He specifically focused his efforts so he'd win in Massachusetts, Colorado, Minnesota, Oklahoma, and Vermont. And guess what, outside of Mass he did just that!

I didn't say he wasn't fighting for the states that he could take, I said his campaign wasn't counting on winning them. But yes, he's expecting to win big in Cali to make-up for the Texas thumping... of course it will be more difficult if everyone keeps talking like Hilary has already won.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chilichimp posted:

I didn't say he wasn't fighting for the states that he could take, I said his campaign wasn't counting on winning them. But yes, he's expecting to win big in Cali to make-up for the Texas thumping... of course it will be more difficult if everyone keeps talking like Hilary has already won.

California's polling has been virtually unchanged in the past 3 months, which if the trend continues has Bernie losing by 10 points.

Like remember it's not enough to lose by a little or to just squeak by, he's got to win California 65-35. That's not going to happen.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

UV_Catastrophe posted:

After the dust settles from the 2016 election, the real question will be whether or not the Trump faction can be cajoled and brought back into supporting normal GOP candidates again in the future. Once they've had a taste of The Donald and his straight supply of Tellin' It Like It Is, I don't know how you go back to supporting the Mitt Romney's of the world and remain excited about that.

But as far as something like single payer healthcare, I don't think white working class communities are going to ever vote in large numbers for the party of minorities and open socialists. I just don't see that happening in our lifetimes. And as for the republican party, even if the Trump faction wins the struggle for the soul of the GOP, the moneyed elites that currently run the party will never, ever, not in a million years, allow a party plank consisting of something like socialized medicine. It runs counter to oligarch DNA. I think they would sooner splinter the republican party rather than accept an attempt to liberalize their economic agenda, even a little bit.

The best hope for the white working class is for the republican coalition to blow up into smithereens so that the democrats can revive our social institutions and drag poor white communities kicking and screaming into economic prosperity against their own will.

I would very much love to see the Republicans completely self-destruct this time, but I'm not sure if that will happen. Their voters seem to unite mostly in pure hatred of the "other", so assuming a democrat win in November, they'll likely latch on to any chance they have to oust the dreaded "liberal" liar woman. The establishment could win them back, but they'd have to escalate their intolerance and bullying to seem more appealing after Angry Dad Trump's wake passes. There will be a point of total rebellion before that, in which I'm expecting a good amount of extremism that could very well become organized and violent. Like the Bundy's, but possibly worse. They will still be courted, however, since the Republicans have seen how effective they can be as a voting block despite it all.

If the Democrats do win again, they'll likely face more opposition than ever in the House as the Tea Party types try even harder to prove that they are still relevant to the rebelling base.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Geostomp posted:

I would very much love to see the Republicans completely self-destruct this time, but I'm not sure if that will happen. Their voters seem to unite mostly in pure hatred of the "other", so assuming a democrat win in November, they'll likely latch on to any chance they have to oust the dreaded "liberal" liar woman. The establishment could win them back, but they'd have to escalate their intolerance and bullying to seem more appealing after Angry Dad Trump's wake passes. There will be a point of total rebellion before that, in which I'm expecting a good amount of extremism that could very well become organized and violent. Like the Bundy's, but possibly worse. They will still be courted, however, since the Republicans have seen how effective they can be as a voting block despite it all.

If the Democrats do win again, they'll likely face more opposition than ever in the House as the Tea Party types try even harder to prove that they are still relevant to the rebelling base.

I know many of my conservative relatives at least on my moms side arnt voting if trump/cruz wins the nom. none of them like Hilary or sanders either. so they prefer to stay home. I think many moderate conservatives will too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I know many of my conservative relatives at least on my moms side arnt voting if trump/cruz wins the nom. none of them like Hilary or sanders either. so they prefer to stay home. I think many moderate conservatives will too.

And that's the real wildcard factor in this election. If conservatives start staying home, bad things are going to happen for the GOP.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Weldon Pemberton posted:

A worthwhile post, but it's black voters you've got to convince, because the limited evidence suggests they prefer Hillary to anyone else. If it came down to Hillary and Trump, it's a choice between all that bad poo poo you just listed and someone whose views are relatively unknown but includes "BLM is a bunch of troublemakers", sucking up to cops constantly, and race baiting (race baiting is never good for blacks even if the attacks are on other nonwhite races, and most realize this). Also, he has a good chance of being pulled to the right on both economics and social issues by a house full of Republicans with an even worse proven track record than Hillary. On the other hand, he did say he wants drugs legalized and regulated in a 2000 book!! It's not that hard to understand why even a clued-up black voter who knows all this would sooner cast a ballot for the lesser evil than vote Republican or do something else.

If Trump was going to go even harder right, he would do it during the primary. I'm not saying black people should vote for Trump, either candidate would be equally as bad.

Sarcastr0 posted:

Lots of black folks have heard of that, and yet still seem to be voting for Hillary.

Why do you think that is?

Black people are equally capable as white people of voting against their interest as long as a candidate says the right things.

quote:

It's almost as if times have changed since the early 1990s!

Not dwelling on the fact 96 is not the early 90s, things certainly have changed. The republican party is even more extremist and has been in control of the house basically since 2010 because progressives voted a progessive president in 08 and spent the next 3 elections patting themselves on the back.

The 94 bill was brought up as an example of Hillary's anti progressive stance, not the sole reason for a spike, and there is a preponderance of evidence it did have a negative effect despite the opinions of one partisan blogger. The graphic is also misleading, incarceration spiked in 2000, just a few years after the bill and dropped substantially after 9/11 when Islamophobia became the prejudice du jour, and just stops, missing more than a decade of data. What it did for sure was institute the death penalty for 60 new crimes, boot camps for youth, mandatory drug testing, and three strikes among others.

quote:

There are lots legit of reasons to dislike Hillary. Hating her on behalf of black people everywhere is not one of them.

I don't hate her on behalf of black people, I hate her because I'm a progressive. How black people vote does not influence my views on the best candidate for progressive causes. All black people are not all progressive!

quote:

Wait, you brought up the those bills to show Hillary was going to cut entitlements?! :wtc:

The explicit purpose of the PRWORA was to cut welfare as an entitlement! :wtc: indeed.

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 5, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

UV_Catastrophe posted:

And as for the republican party, even if the Trump faction wins the struggle for the soul of the GOP, the moneyed elites that currently run the party will never, ever, not in a million years, allow a party plank consisting of something like socialized medicine. It runs counter to oligarch DNA. I think they would sooner splinter the republican party rather than accept an attempt to liberalize their economic agenda, even a little bit.

I'm not saying that he would but if Trump (or the future leader of the Trump faction) proposed something like Medicare For All but they framed it as a way to fix the VHA and renamed it Tricare For All, I think they could get it done. Using the troops as a political shield would be enough to make most of the moneyed elite bite their tongues.

computer parts posted:

And that's the real wildcard factor in this election. If conservatives start staying home, bad things are going to happen for the GOP.

It's not. Once Hillary becomes the official candidate, it's going to galvanize people from all walks to vote not-Hillary. Same thing's going to happen to Trump but in much smaller numbers (since most scared liberals are already voting for Hillary as not-Republican and former Bernie supporters won't scare as easily)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's not. Once Hillary becomes the official candidate, it's going to galvanize people from all walks to vote not-Hillary. Same thing's going to happen to Trump but in much smaller numbers (since most scared liberals are already voting for Hillary as not-Republican and former Bernie supporters won't scare as easily)

Hillary is well liked among Democrats, so they're not going to vote against her.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

computer parts posted:

Hillary is well liked among Democrats, so they're not going to vote against her.

To further explicate this: not only are most Democrats going to vote for her, the vast majority of African Americans and likely the majority of Hispanics will want to vote for her as well - and not just because those two groups lean Democratic anyway. Hillary has an extensive rapport with the African-American community and Trump has done more to alienate the Hispanic community than he has with blacks!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Who What Now posted:

You don't have the opportunity to defend your beliefs at a lecture or speech, genius. Those aren't debates.

Edit:

You'd have a point if Ann Coulter could only publicly speak at those specific universities. But as it is, her being denied to give a paid speech at a private institution is not even anywhere loving close to "silencing" her. Jesus Christ.

I went to an Ann Coulter appearance at South Carolina about 12 years ago the day there was that big kerfluffle about those burned corpses strung up on a bridge in Iraq and the most important thing I learned was there are very good reasons TV never, ever, ever shows that woman below the waist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

computer parts posted:

I think a decent amount of moderate conservatives are. trump is a nut and so is cruz. rubio is weak and hosed. they dont like hillary a ton of reasons and sanders is leftist who will raise the gently caress out of their taxes. every moderate conservative i know isnt voting.

• Locked thread