Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Blackfyre posted:

How much coil whine would be acceptable on a 980Ti? I got a new computer last May/June just after the 980Ti launched. It was the first computer I just paid to have built rather than build myself since 2001. I encountered some headaches with the noise from the stock fans on the CPU (which I then replaced) and the overclock I paid someone to do not being done which was eventually sorted and the PC was much quieter apart from a noise when playing games but I didn't find it too bad really and just wanted things sorted.

Flashforward to now and I'm finding myself paying more attention to the noise and after doing some 3DMark etc I'm pretty sure its coil whine from the 980Ti. Google says this is a known issue but I'm not sure if I'm just being oversensitive or to leave it. I didn't want to have to upgrade the Ti as soon as Pascal is out really, thought I'd get at least two years out of it, but at this rate I would do.

I've contacted the builders as my PC is still under RMA and will see what they say too.

Try limiting your fps within rivatuner. Hopefully when it was overclocked they are using Afterburner with RivaTuner installed. Just set the number to your refresh rate of your monitor (typically 60 but you have to look it up) and see if it helps. At the very least this will change coil whine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Mozi posted:

Better odds than the Powerball, though!

I may need an electron telescope to see this praise.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've never gotten a card with coil whine so as far as I'm concerned you guys are just making it up :smugdog:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I got some coil whine on my 390 under heavier load but by the time I can even attempt to notice it, the fans on the card have spun up and the 5X 120mm case fans are drowning like 80% of it out.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've killed off any part of my ear that registers those frequencies a long time ago.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

ijyt posted:

I've killed off any part of my ear that registers those frequencies a long time ago.

The one and only solution.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I can't hear any potential coil whine due to my relative proximity to rooftop AC units and howling wind. Possible some contribution in the right ear due to nerve damage.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Buy some nice headphones and call it a day. You won't notice blower coolers either.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Play your games on a TV and sit across the room from your PC, that's my solution. Can't hear case fans either.

May not work if you ever want to go over 60Hz, though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Josh Lyman posted:

I've never gotten a card with coil whine so as far as I'm concerned you guys are just making it up :smugdog:

My 980ti only gets coil whine over 2000fps which is what the heaven benchmark exit screen runs at

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

FaustianQ posted:

I can't hear any potential coil whine due to my relative proximity to rooftop AC units and howling wind. Possible some contribution in the right ear due to nerve damage.

I hear it on my card occasionally (same spot as others, Heaven benchmark exit screen) but it's not terrible. I've also got right ear problems ("glue ear") so stuff is a bit muffled and my case is on the floor to the right of my desk, so it balances out.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Next time I'm buying a case that dampens sound.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mutant Standard posted:

Doesn't the Fractal Design R5 do that a little?

I remember when the Antec Sonata was the go-to.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Mutant Standard posted:

My P180 has been a solid investment for many years now. Having a case that only emits a dull thud when you tap on it instead of ringing like a cymbal is real nice. Worst it ever gets is a low whoosh when the fans spin up.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mutant Standard posted:

You can also buy 2'x2' sound dampening material panels for computer cases. Cut it to fit your needs and glue it to the side panels. I think you can get it for $10-$15 a panel.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999222

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 4, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I know someone who built ducts into and through his coolers with sound dampening foam (spire iirc). Especially with something with water cooling you might be able to build something around a card.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Get a bracket and AIO and then dip the whole card in gorilla glue

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Get a bracket and AIO and then dip the whole card in gorilla glue

But a cute little vest will keep the Fury X looking great for what it's best at.

Looking sexy on your desk.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah I have had a fractal case and headphones for the longest time so even though my last few cards had coil whine it was only a factort when I took off the side, opened up moduvents, or didnt wear a headset. So never

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I've only ever had coil whine at very high frame rates, but I play with vsync so that's never a problem.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No joke, I am not ruling out the idea of having my computer built into a 4U rackmount in another room, and then running a Thunderbolt cable through the wall to a breakout box on my desk that all my peripherals sprout off of, a la Linus.

I'm waiting for the long-term use video, though. I'm sure there's some unforseen consequences somewhere. (Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshXgisNly4)

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I don't even think there would be any long term disadvantages to that. Even GSync works over it, though I doubt you could do more than 1 monitor.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hey, I am totally cool with letting someone else do the testing for me.

I myself am not worried about more than one monitor anyways, I intend to join the 1440p curved 100Hz~ ultrawide crew soon enough.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is there any place I can buy an ASUS PG348Q right now?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Hey, I am totally cool with letting someone else do the testing for me.

I myself am not worried about more than one monitor anyways, I intend to join the 1440p curved 100Hz~ ultrawide crew soon enough.

Doesn't mean you can't flank it with 2560x1440s, just means you can't put games across them all without eyefinity.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Wasn't intending to in the first place. I may have questionable purchasing habits at best, but even *I* am capable of being content with a single 1440p ultrawide.

On the other hand, looks like we have a claimant to the throne of the bus-powered 750 Ti: http://techreport.com/news/29807/asus-geforce-gtx-950-2g-can-run-without-a-6-pin-power-plug

Edit: Oh, and in case you hadn't seen it, RTG/Hallock AMA on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/48e8rl/radeon_technologies_group_qa_is_happening_here_on/

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 5, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'm just trying to get other people to normalize my spending habits.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
When you add another row up top then we'll send the intervention

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

When you add another row up top then we'll send the intervention

By that point send a rescue dog, I can't think of a stand to properly do that without it all falling onto me. Also it's not my work setup, and unfortunately my work setup uses machines without enough outputs so I can't really figure out a question for that solution.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

xthetenth posted:

By that point send a rescue dog, I can't think of a stand to properly do that without it all falling onto me. Also it's not my work setup, and unfortunately my work setup uses machines without enough outputs so I can't really figure out a question for that solution.

Well, it'd be less likely to fall on you if you just built a hemispherical cage with VESA mounts at the weld joints for full 360° immersion. Add soundproofing later.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Well, it'd be less likely to fall on you if you just built a hemispherical cage with VESA mounts at the weld joints for full 360° immersion. Add soundproofing later.

By that point I think it'd make more sense to just wait for VR with 4K per eye and virtualize the thing.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
But a simple VR headset is WAYYYY less impressive to post pictures of. Let's remember what's truly important here.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

xthetenth posted:

Doesn't mean you can't flank it with 2560x1440s, just means you can't put games across them all without eyefinity.

You and me both brother, but if your left one isn't in portrait mode for IPS-requiring apps like 'irc' and 'discord' we're going to have words.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Not to sound particularly paranoid or anything, but my 760 is idling at 48c and reaches 81c while playing World of Warships at decent settings. Should I be somewhat concerned/disappointed?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Buy some nice headphones and call it a day. You won't notice blower coolers either.
Ever heard a reference R9 290 at 100% fan speed?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Not to sound particularly paranoid or anything, but my 760 is idling at 48c and reaches 81c while playing World of Warships at decent settings. Should I be somewhat concerned/disappointed?

No, cards are designed to work at those temps. It depends on your ambient temperature too.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

PerrineClostermann posted:

No. It's fine.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So I'm about to move up from a ati 7870 to a gtx 970, has naything changed in the past 10 years going from ati to nvidia or vise versea?

Safe mode
Uninstall ATI software (Cat Control Center etc)
Uninstall driver, run driver sweeper
power off and switch cards
install nvidia software

Look good?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DDU is the preferred driver cleaner these days. Manually uninstalling the AMD driver first is probably unnecessary but it won't hurt.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Ever heard a reference R9 290 at 100% fan speed?

It's the last thing you'll ever hear.