Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
San Diego used to use the same rolling stock as Edmonton and Calgary and Frankfurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

San Diego used to use the same rolling stock as Edmonton and Calgary and Frankfurt

Why is it surprising that a fail third tier city uses the same rolling stock as other fail third tier cities?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Chris Knight posted:

Citizen Tayne posted:

Why is it surprising that a fail third tier city uses the same rolling stock as other fail third tier cities?

you can go ride em in a fourth tier fail city now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrotranv%C3%ADa_Mendoza

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

boston is a neat city

boston transit is kinda terrible

you got these things backwards. boston is actually kinda terrible, but the transit is neat

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

somerville is an uninteresting brooklyn lite

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

boston transit is great by us standards which is still terrible by global standards

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pittsburgh on the other hand is just terrible all around

Apr 7, 2003

mishaq posted:

pittsburgh on the other hand is just terrible all around

Actually, it's good.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
my in depth knowledge of boston comes from the real life documentary "fallout 4"

apparently they have a subway

and some problems with robots

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

light rail is usually terrible

3rd rate minds think alike

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
F U C K P I T T S B U R G H

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Boston has bad roads and bad transit unless you're spending $$$$ to live walking distance from a major station that only takes you downtown and that shuts down before midnight

Cyclists in bay area complain about roads being scary, lol bullshit try to bike anywhere in Boston*

* minuteman is cool but doesn't go anywhere

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Bloody posted:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
somerville has MS walker's distillery, at least

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tanith posted:

somerville has MS walker's distillery, at least

also Bantam Cider

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

http://gothamist.com/2016/02/05/this_aint_shelbyville.php

Lol

quote:

Because it is envisioned as a city project, the streetcar would offer no transfer to MTA buses and subways.
But read the whole article.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like the London cable car project, except like 10x the price

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Chris Knight posted:

I've been on the San Diego trolley.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my sister lives in somerville.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
pittsburgh is terrible, san diego is great

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JewKiller 3000 posted:

pittsburgh is terrible, san diego is great

:agreed:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

you can take the light rail to the mexican border in san diego

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Whoa

quote:

I remember his aide, Sid Shapiro, who I spent a lot of time getting to talk to me, he finally talked to me. And he had this quote that I’ve never forgotten. He said Moses didn’t want poor people, particularly poor people of color, to use Jones Beach, so they had legislation passed forbidding the use of buses on parkways.

Then he had this quote, and I can still he him saying it to me. “Legislation can always be changed. It’s very hard to tear down a bridge once it’s up.” So he built 180 or 170 bridges too low for buses.

We used Jones Beach a lot, because I used to work the night shift for the first couple of years, so I’d sleep til 12 and then we’d go down and spend a lot of afternoons at the beach. It never occurred to me that there weren’t any black people at the beach.

So Ina and I went to the main parking lot, that huge 10,000-car lot. We stood there with steno pads, and we had three columns: Whites, Blacks, Others. And I still remember that first column—there were a few Others, and almost no Blacks. The Whites would be go on to the next page. I said, God, this is what Robert Moses did. This is how you can shape a metropolis for generations.

http://gothamist.com/2016/02/17/robert_caro_author_interview.php

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I hope this guy
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/17/san-francisco-tech-open-letter-i-dont-want-to-see-homeless-riff-raff
Doesn't get any ideas

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im the spike in drunk driving related incidents

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/02/29/late-night-service-end-march-board-votes/bHZM7BHgU32YDn9zTX6OHK/story.html

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

13,000 late night rides in all of December on a transit system that averages a million rides per day

Yeah big loving surprise it's getting shitcanned

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
50th anniversary of the bloor line was a couple of weeks ago :toot: http://www.citynews.ca/2016/02/25/ttc-celebrates-bloor-lines-50th-birthday/

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cool article about why some some ny subway lines don't have live arrival time boards
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/11/why-dont-we-know-where-all-the-trains-are/415152/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

Cool article about why some some ny subway lines don't have live arrival time boards
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/11/why-dont-we-know-where-all-the-trains-are/415152/

Cool

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol:

quote:

The MTA has a thankless and extremely difficult job: They have to keep the trains running. They have to do it with equipment from the 1930s, in a hostile funding environment, as administrations come and go, as public interest comes and goes, in the face of storms and accidents and pieces of aluminum foil. This they manage to do. 1.6 billion people every year take the New York subway. The system carries more than 60 percent of all people coming into Manhattan every day. It is, for the most part, safe, affordable, and there.
Cry me a river with super fat cat payouts and unions. The London Underground has been running since 1863 and uses these things called adverts to help financing.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 5, 2016

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

actually unions are good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol the tube doesnt even run 24/7 how can people pretend london is a real city

Apr 7, 2003

MrMoo posted:

Cry me a river with super fat cat payouts and unions. The London Underground has been running since 1863 and uses these things called adverts to help financing.

show us your tits

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Citizen Tayne posted:

show us your tits

again? check these out

Apr 7, 2003

Nice!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

MrMoo posted:

tfl gets way more money and doesnt do 24hr service and has huge problems w/ strikes

it helps that london is the seat of local and national government unlike albany which is useless and mostly overrepresents the rural fuckwits

that said the mta is a loving disgrace, i mean cmon no smartcards/apple pay? what the gently caress

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I'm actually all for unionized transportation workers.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Tanith posted:

I'm actually all for unionized transportation workers.

management is usually the problem tbqh

still, night tube 4 ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I don't think there's 1.6 billion people in new york

• Locked thread