Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

daslog posted:

I can't think of a better way to attract a new title sponsor than to have the head of NASCAR endorse a bigot for president.

Northrop Grumman Cup Series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

VikingSkull posted:

Trump is reverse Obama and it's great

He is more like a dumber Obama, not really a reverse. His campaign those is the same just replace youth with rednecks and hope with hate.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Elephanthead posted:

He is more like a dumber Obama, not really a reverse. His campaign those is the same just replace youth with rednecks and hope with hate.

the reverse of intelligent is dumb, hth

he's using the same tactics to appeal to completely the opposite demographic and it's working just as well

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I try to stay out of politics when it comes to celebrity/public figure/businessmen making endorsements of candidates, I try to keep in mind that everyone is entitled to their opinion and that I should try and be neutral whether or not I agree with the position or not.

But endorsing Trump...that's a bridge too far I think. It just sums up the absolute idiocy of NASCAR and its management.

But mostly I'm disgusted at Bill and Chase Elliott. Chase is new, so I don't have much to say about him, but Bill....Bill Elliot is a loving legend and has always struck me as a really nice person. But endorsing Trump...it makes me think that everything I thought of Elliot was misguided. Watching him up on that stage, he struck me as nothing more than an old white man that is afraid and resentful that it's not 1980 anymore. I grew up loving Bill Elliot, so it was really hard for me to see that.

As for racing in the northeast. NASCAR should go to Oswego or Rolling Wheels- I would personally head back home and promote those events.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Bill Elliot is from motherfucking backwater Georgia, did you think he was a liberal?

e- I bet his family voted for George Wallace

e2- you can say what you want about Petty (and I often do) but despite his support for Reagan, the fucker had a fu manchu and a peace sign shaped head rest during the Vietnam war

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 5, 2016

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

VikingSkull posted:

Bill Elliot is from motherfucking backwater Georgia, did you think he was a liberal?

e- I bet his family voted for George Wallace

e2- you can say what you want about Petty (and I often do) but despite his support for Reagan, the fucker had a fu manchu and a peace sign shaped head rest during the Vietnam war

Seriously. I feel like that was a given, same for probably every NASCAR star of that era. drat, can't believe the Alabama gang were all conservatives. Shakes me to my core. My youth was a sham and all my heroes are dead to me.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Not liberal, but I just thought he would be...normal? Apolitical? At the very least I thought he would just be too nice to have mean thoughts about anyone, he always struck me as such a gentleman. Not the kind of guy who would hate muslims, or gays, or women, or science, or functional government.

edit- I fully admit that I was clearly living in a dream reality. Still though, doesn't make it any less hard to swallow.

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 5, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
This stuff isn't new, either

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

it's not surprising that they support trump, but it is surprising that no one stopped them from making one of the worst possible marketing moves

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
"ya know, guys, we might not want to piss off middle class white America by endorsing Trump"

"gently caress the plebes we're doing it anyway"

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

SpitztheGreat posted:

As for racing in the northeast. NASCAR should go to Oswego, Lime Rock, Jennerstown or Lake Erie- I would personally head back home and promote those events.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

A sport for rich white people worldwide is full of conservatives. Who knew?

(Aside from Mike Mitchell, who's funny car in the '70s bore the slogan "IMPEACH NIXON" on the rear wing with the X being a swastika.)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
To be fair drag racing back then was a band of drug taking gypsies from California running across the country, the paint jobs tell you all you need to know

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

those paint jobs were loving awesome :catdrugs:

Also Al Hofmann (one of my favorite race car drivers ever) running a car that said "NO NUKES"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The aforementioned Mike Mitchell

so yeah

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Please stop talking about your really dumb political opinions in this already terrible thread, I beg you.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Brian France did Dumb poo poo, news at 11.

To be honest, after a week of thinking about it, I realize that I can either know that every NASCAR driver hates all the values I hold dear and quit the sport, or I can say, "Meh, gently caress it," and keep bitching about the sport (not the political issue) on the internet. I'm going to do the latter.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

Please stop talking about your really dumb political opinions in this already terrible thread, I beg you.

Bill Elliot is our Preston Brooks

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I came here to see who won the race hopefully job stealing Mexican guy.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Elephanthead posted:

I came here to see who won the race hopefully job stealing Mexican guy.

He finished second to win stealing Nevadan guy.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think the track is going to be lifted up and blow away

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think the track is going to be lifted up and blow away

No great loss

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

NASCAR: the cure for drought in the desert.

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.
Kurt Busch strapped a rocket to his car before the race.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Needs More Ditka posted:

Kurt Busch strapped a rocket to his car before the race.

MWR closed down, dude.

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.
"Excuse me, Mr. Busch, do you know how fast you were going?"

"um.. i'm in a literal race car dude.."

edit: lol Kenseth stuck in a Kes-Logano sandwich

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

kidcoelacanth posted:

MWR closed down, dude.

So then one was available. Try to keep up.

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

Kes you dolt you were going to start near the front no matter what you did as long as you DIDNT SPEED

Elfforkusu
Jan 15, 2011
Checking in late to say that this dust storm owns.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Someone post Sandstorm in the thread.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Kyle Larson is not having himself a good year

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Great move by Kyle immediately followed by a big wreck in the pack

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

Go Kes go go Kes go go Kes go!

edit: awesome!

Needs More Ditka fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 7, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

my reaction to every race this year has been "well at least ________ didn't win"

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Good last 50 laps

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Today was always going to be the first real test of the new areo package. Daytona is unique, Atlanta's racing surface is beat to hell, so Vegas was going to be the first "normal" environment that they were going to be racing on. Overall, I would give the race and the areo package a B-. It was an improvement over previous years, but not to the point where I think we can say definitively that it wasn't a statistical anomaly. The tires fell off, a little, and the drivers could adjust their lines, a little, and the drivers could race around one another, a little bit better.

We won't really know what we have in this areo package until sometime in the summer.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Good job Horseface II.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dear nascar it was nice outside today so I didn't watch your poo poo race.. I won today, I won.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

fuseshock posted:

Just about as dumb and awful as ***Allegiant Air*** becoming the official airline of NASCAR.

Did you know this was coming or was this sarcasm? Because:

https://twitter.com/nascardaytona/status/706856950869467136

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I still stand by my opinion if this was last year's package Kyle probably would of won the race.

• Locked thread