Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Seeing Callum Keith Rennie show up in anything is always a nice surprise. He played a vampire in Blade Trinity and Dominic Purcell played Dracula in the same.

Snart and Sarah being friends is fun.

also, YOU'VE FAILED YOUR WIFE AND SON

That ending :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

Seeing Callum Keith Rennie show up in anything is always a nice surprise. He played a vampire in Blade Trinity and Dominic Purcell played Dracula in the same.

Snart and Sarah being friends is fun.

also, YOU'VE FAILED YOUR WIFE AND SON

That ending :stare:

Sara and Snart being platonic friends is cool especially since there's no chance of relationship drama between them

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is there some dumb reason why they couldn't just go to 2165 and get his wife and kid?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is there some dumb reason why they couldn't just go to 2165 and get his wife and kid?

Well, if I were a good writer, I'd say because if he saves them, he is never pushed into his crusade against Savage, so Savage never learns about Rip Hunter or his family, so he never seeks them out and kills them, so Rip is never pushed into his crusade against Savage...

Of course, the real answer to your question probably lies here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF7cO4t0o9c

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rip mentioned that you really shouldn't mess with your personal timeline.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Why cant you just go back in 5 minute increments and kidnap your wife and son each time.

Then you'll have all the wife and son you'll ever need!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BrianWilly posted:

Y'know, I'd forgotten that Ray Palmer and Carter Hall were actually very close friends in the comics.

They were the original Science Bros. Ray used to hang out on Carter's shoulder a lot in the Silver Age JLA comics. Ray also used to have his own tiny floating chair at JLA meetings.

It would make my week if they even got a previous Carter Hall back just for one episode so Ray could stand on his shoulder while Atom size.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sucks about Mick. But it was fun watching Ray just clown people because power armor servos are much stronger than muscle.

Xelkelvos posted:

All very important questions.

This one could probably be answered by A: SFX budget and B: They're in a location where shooting explosive blasts of fire would not necessarily yield a safe outcome for anyone.

My question: What kind of Time Pirate uses an energy gun that's concussive as opposed to being like an actual laser?

I think you kinda answered your own question here.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
that ending :staredog:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Narcissus1916 posted:

The fight scene against the pirates was honestly fantastic.

Captain Cold and Sara's heart to heart allowed both actor's some needed space to emote.

But lord allmighty, all the Rip Hunter stuff remains awful. Its like deleted scenes from some poo poo 70s space show. Referencing Star Wars and Trek just reminds me how derivative and schlocky Rip's material is.
Hey that's not fair! For its time, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century exemplified the highest technological achievements in spandex costuming.

That show also had a Hawk couple.

As for Rip, it would be great if someone a lot like Vastra would make an appearance.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
God drat, Rip was a complete rear end in a top hat to Mick there. And now he's... frozen until Snart gets him back? Let's hope he's only gone for one episode or something. :(

Really liked the way Mick fought against Sara. Just pure brute strength.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

muscles like this? posted:

Rip mentioned that you really shouldn't mess with your personal timeline.

Nuking a bunch of people in Russia, though? Eh. probably fine.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I can't believe Chang unexpectedly betrayed the group!

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

As boring as 'Rip Hunter: Wonder Years' was, we did get to learn the origins of his incredibly stupid name. Does time-mastering begin in kindergaarten and once you choose a name, that's that?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Krad posted:

Really liked the way Mick fought against Sara. Just pure brute strength.

I thought that was pretty well done, too, but I didn't like that Sara couldn't handle him without Snart coming to save her. He's a big tough guy, but she's a master assassin with tons of martial arts training. Show him overpower her a few times, sure, but she should get the best of any exchange that isn't Mick firing his flamethrower at her from across the room.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Binary Logic posted:

Hey that's not fair! For its time, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century exemplified the highest technological achievements in spandex costuming.

That show also had a Hawk couple.

As for Rip, it would be great if someone a lot like Vastra would make an appearance.

holy crap, I didn't known Hawkperson from Rick and Morty was based off something

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
1. The very start of the episode they mentioned you can't set stuff on fire on space ships, which is why they didn't go Firestorm. Even if you don't throw fireballs and risk hull breaching, your passive fire aura is going to burn up the precious precious oxygen.

2. I don't think Gideon has sensors in the shuttle. Its on the ship, it can just remotely talk to the shuttle and take over navigation if needed. Also, I like how all the AI in the future have G names. Gideon. Gary. Gilbert.

3. At the very end of the scene where Ray was passing out in space you see he activated his thrusters and basically launched himself on a trajectory towards the cargo bay, which Gideon was verbally ordered to open for him.

4. Hoping Mick is not dead.

5. The fact that a the show name dropped Vash alone makes it a win.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Holy hell, who the gently caress wrote the romantic Rip dialogue in this episode? This is like some fanfic poo poo going on here.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

FilthyImp posted:

Holy hell, who the gently caress wrote the romantic Rip dialogue in this episode? This is like some fanfic poo poo going on here.

The same person who did the dumb "I'm better than you in every way but I'm resigning because I love you!" plot dialogue.

Like, we got the worst of the two and that just makes me hate Rip more than I already did.

Oh well, can't wait to learn how right Rip was all along because the Time Masters are EEVVVIIILLLLLLLLL! or something.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It also makes Rip's backstory make no sense. He didn't become a Time Master after his wife was killed. They left the Time Masters together and chose to live in the Vandal Savage Kills Everyone era.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

VBane posted:

2. I don't think Gideon has sensors in the shuttle. Its on the ship, it can just remotely talk to the shuttle and take over navigation if needed. Also, I like how all the AI in the future have G names. Gideon. Gary. Gilbert.

They may not have thought things out this far, but this is also interesting because it shows Gideon isn't every AI, but a specific one - which raises further questions about why Eobard Thawne would have it. Hope he keeps coming back!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, I'm still not sure how Eobard Thawne ended up in the possession of Gideon...

My guess is the two shows simply wanted to use the same voice actor and they're gonna leave it unexplained.

My hope, on the other hand, is that they will journey to the 25th century at some point, but will have to leave Gideon behind for some reason, and it will end up in Thawne's hands.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, I'm still not sure how Eobard Thawne ended up in the possession of Gideon...

My guess is the two shows simply wanted to use the same voice actor and they're gonna leave it unexplained.

My hope, on the other hand, is that they will journey to the 25th century at some point, but will have to leave Gideon behind for some reason, and it will end up in Thawne's hands.

Yeah, I fully believe they had no plan as to why they both had the same AI, but it gives them a really nice story hook to use to tie two fun things together should they so choose to do so at some point down the line.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I am presuming here, but I guess Gideon is an AI you can copy and install like any other software and over the years it just gets updated like Cortana or something.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

enraged_camel posted:

But it's not the same voice actor.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

It also makes Rip's backstory make no sense. He didn't become a Time Master after his wife was killed. They left the Time Masters together and chose to live in the Vandal Savage Kills Everyone era.

Rip is pretty dumb. This isn't a new revelation.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evilmiera posted:

I am presuming here, but I guess Gideon is an AI you can copy and install like any other software and over the years it just gets updated like Cortana or something.

It's like a Garmin GPS where you buy the main brain unit then spend like $59.99 on a Darth Vader or Arnold sound pack but it's the future so it also gives the brain a emotional disposition.

'Your Lefts. Turn zem for me.'

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Rip is supposed to come off as Stressed Captain Who Makes Tough Choices, but the show has no awareness that he's completely incompetent.

And for the record, the whole Mick turning on the team thing riffed (quite succesfully) on the many betrayals of Jayne Cobb.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, I fully believe they had no plan as to why they both had the same AI, but it gives them a really nice story hook to use to tie two fun things together should they so choose to do so at some point down the line.
My guess is the Time Masters took Gideon into their possession after the death of the Flash (since Gideon explicitly says Barry created her) and installed it onto the Waverider. Eobard will eventually steal Gideon and reprogram her, including giving her a less British sounding voice, for his own use since she has data on the Flash that will help locate his whereabouts.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Or did they just have an illicit marriage with him still in the Time Masters and her chilling in London

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah. He stayed in the Time Masters and they had an illicit marriage. She quit so he would be able to stay, and Rip only bailed on/got kicked from the Masters after his petition to reverse-murder Savage failed.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I kinda like Rip Hunter's John Chriton impression.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

X-O posted:

But it's not the same voice actor.

Well then, I demand an explanation! :argh:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Narcissus1916 posted:

Rip is supposed to come off as Stressed Captain Who Makes Tough Choices, but the show has no awareness that he's completely incompetent.

"the show" through various characters such as Snart and Stein has openly discussed Rip's incompetence in both using the team members and carrying out missions. The whole premise of the series is basically that Rip was incompetent, stole a ship and is now futilely trying to fix his situation.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

enraged_camel posted:

Well then, I demand an explanation! :argh:

The future has really unimaginative naming conventions.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, I don't have an issue with Rip Hunter. His self-pity does get a bit repetitive at times, but it's not a glaring flaw or anything.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I can turn my Siri into a dude voice so, like, permaybehaps Rip just switched his Gideon setting from "Morena Baccarin" to "Amy Pemberton."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

jfood posted:

As boring as 'Rip Hunter: Wonder Years' was, we did get to learn the origins of his incredibly stupid name. Does time-mastering begin in kindergaarten and once you choose a name, that's that?

It would fit all the other Jedi tropes being invoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Was this the reason the Doctor calls himself the Doctor in Doctor Who?

• Locked thread