Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a53hgE5scd0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Germstore posted:

First gen i* processors hold up really well because of the lack of progress made in the last few years.

Derp

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
My initial reaction is at least the TDP is probably lower, but it is actually a couple watts higher.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Thing is, you just often really don't need that extra performance they have. The most interesting thing in fact is the lower power consumption in many cases. I had a first gen i7 as desktop until about two months ago. I was pretty happy with it until I exchanged it. I wanted to run windows in a VM with VGA-Passthrough and just wanted a bit more oomph for that, else I wouldn't even have bothered. I had that thing for about six years.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
it's weird to think that my i5-3570k has lasted ~4 years at this point and will most likely last for 2-3 more, when if i looked at CPUs 4 years after my Pentium 4, i'd be lightyears behind in speed

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It's really annoying, I think a huge part of the blame lies with ARM for stealing the mass market through tablets and phones. Intel is sitting pretty on a slowly dwindling desktop PC CPU market and AMD is in the dumps :(

Fingers crossed we will see some substantial jumps this year, but I'm not getting my hopes up. At least graphics cards performance is stil progressing at a good pace...

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Speaking for myself, I'm perfectly fine with not buying a computer for several grand which is hopelessly outdated ten months later, thank you.

Only thing I'd really like to see now is dedicated graphics cards which are actually useable for high-end stuff getting more economical regarding power usage, so I don't see my power consumption jump almost sevenfold when I play some game. That poo poo is crazy. Some CPUs could also use some work there, they like to cite idle power consumption but idle means often the computer might as well be off.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

It's mostly just hard to turn more transistors into more performance for various reasons. Even intel, who historically doesn't give much of a poo poo about integrated graphics performance, is throwing a lot of transistors into graphics because they wouldn't be able to power the chips if all the space was CPU cores.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

an AOL chatroom posted:

I'm at a conference in San Antonio this week, and got to hear a session presented by an 18 year old who bought an IBM z890 mainframe for $237.

Lucky kid, one day he's gonna get married and his wife won't let him buy toys like that.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

an AOL chatroom posted:

I'm at a conference in San Antonio this week, and got to hear a session presented by an 18 year old who bought an IBM z890 mainframe for $237. The reaction from a packed room full of mainframers hearing someone say "Yeah, so I read some books on IOCDS and figured out how to write mine that weekend" was pretty amazing. I've been working with mainframes for 15 years now, and it's still a black magic to me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IBM/comments/3relk4/i_just_bought_an_ibm_z890/

I once got a Burroughs B90 mainframe, a tape drive, and like 3 or 4 serial terminals from a dude who had em all just sitting in his garage after a big decommissioning job he did. I totally thought I could get it going and put some kind of lunix on it (it was Z80 based). It weighed approximately a million pounds, was as big as a dishwasher (half of which was the giant hard drive), and made my 2nd floor apartment floor visibly sink underneath it. Fully expected to come home and find a hole in my floor, and angry downstairs neighbors cussing me out.

I never did get it running. It apparently ran on either 220V or 3-phase or something I obviously didn't have in my lovely little apartment. Eventually, a buddy of mine came over and we carefully rolled it down the stairs with much grunting and building-shaking thuds. He managed to get it to fire up for about 10 seconds before blowing the fuse to the circuit.

The lesson I learned: Even free is too much to pay for a used, out-dated mainframe unless you have a very specific use for it.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

woodch posted:

I once got a Burroughs B90 mainframe, a tape drive, and like 3 or 4 serial terminals from a dude who had em all just sitting in his garage after a big decommissioning job he did. I totally thought I could get it going and put some kind of lunix on it (it was Z80 based). It weighed approximately a million pounds, was as big as a dishwasher (half of which was the giant hard drive), and made my 2nd floor apartment floor visibly sink underneath it. Fully expected to come home and find a hole in my floor, and angry downstairs neighbors cussing me out.

I never did get it running. It apparently ran on either 220V or 3-phase or something I obviously didn't have in my lovely little apartment. Eventually, a buddy of mine came over and we carefully rolled it down the stairs with much grunting and building-shaking thuds. He managed to get it to fire up for about 10 seconds before blowing the fuse to the circuit.

The lesson I learned: Even free is too much to pay for a used, out-dated mainframe unless you have a very specific use for it.

In the early 80s, I cut my programming teeth on three Applied Digital Data Systems (ADDS) Mentor 4000 minis (sorry, only image I could find):

It was the size of a refrigerator, produced enough heat to heat a room, and if you didn't lock down the casters, the sheer inertia from the dual Priam 15450 HDs would have the system unit doing the Macarena across the floor during a big database select. It was based on the Zilog Z-80 processor, with a whopping 512K of memory (which was still referred to as "core memory" in the docs), and would handle 16 dumb terminal users. It ran the ADDS variant of the PICK operating system called Mentor/OS. When we upgraded, I ended up with all three of them, and had to rent a straight truck to move them. The Priam drives were notoriously sensitive to rough handling, and even after using the dual mechanical spindle and head locking mechanism on each drive, I ended up losing two of them after the move which left me with two good drives which I installed into one system unit. I was able to bring one of them up perfectly, and hung onto it for quite a while. It was a good computer.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've lusted after this poster series ever since I saw them in an IBM research department almost a decade ago.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

woodch posted:

As a machine, yeah... it's pretty old, it's a fairly low-end config to begin with, and he's having trouble finding real storage for it. A vendor is letting him try out a disk emulation machine, but he's after something more serious. *That's* going to be what blows the circuit breaker on his parents house. One of his "lessons learned" was that a 1500 lb mainframe will move itself if your floor isn't perfectly flat. Guess how he learned the basement floor was graded towards the corner with the sump pump.

Right now, it's just running Suse Linux, but a bunch of people were trying to get him hooked up with z/OS, z/VM and z/TPF so he could play around with those as well.

Mainframes are awesome, I really wish it was easier for people with a curious interest to get access to them.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

nigga crab pollock posted:

these are all things that people seemingly must learn for themselves because people always ask me for advice "because you are computer guy", i tell em basically that, and they ignore it

that or people are really really bright eyed about the ability to 'play games on the go' before they realize that gaming/workstation/media laptops will never leave their desk

I once blew my friend's mind when I asked him "when was the last time your laptop was actually on your lap, not on your desk?"

A lot of people get laptops, even desktop replacement laptops for gaming, to be "on the go" even though they're not going anywhere. It wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't because you pay a significant premium for laptops vs. Desktops.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've lusted after this poster series ever since I saw them in an IBM research department almost a decade ago.

This poster was on the wall of a lab I think in high school. I had no idea what any of it meant.

Then we had it on the wall of a lab at college, and for a brief period it made sense.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Non Serviam posted:

I once blew my friend's mind when I asked him "when was the last time your laptop was actually on your lap, not on your desk?"

A lot of people get laptops, even desktop replacement laptops for gaming, to be "on the go" even though they're not going anywhere. It wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't because you pay a significant premium for laptops vs. Desktops.

I used to have a "desktop replacement" laptop when I worked on cargo ships. It makes senses if you move it once a month and can't carry a desktop for whatever reason. It's the only reason. They're still poo poo laptops.

Eight years later and I still cringe whenever I think of how much I paid for that thing.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I thought gaming laptops were for people who needed a portable for things like school and classes but also wanted a computer that would be decent for games when they are at home but can't afford two computers. Like college students. Or for people that maintain 2 residences like college students or kids that live with each separated parent part time. I never thought they were actually for "gaming on the go" and figured when they are on the desk at home they are plugged in and the power profile turned up to max performance and when they aren't plugged in the power profile would be on low power max battery.

These are a lot of assumptions and I've never owned one so I have no idea if the power management on those machines is effective if used like I lay out above.

GutBomb has a new favorite as of 14:18 on Mar 5, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

For the price of a half way decent gaming laptop you can buy both a good laptop and gaming pc, and you'll have a better experience with both.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
If you don't need the high mobility Laptops just aren't necessary. It's that easy. You can also put together incredibly cheap (and admittedly, low powered but even sometimes fanless) mITX machines for a lot less than what an entry-level notebook would cost. (if you're willing to browse ebay etc. they might get even cheaper and have a lot less risk of being half-destroyed garbage like used laptops off ebay often are) If we're only talking about the computer itself and not the screen etc. these are also very light, small and good to transport if you get a tiny case. Might be an idea if you know you're just going between like two places (and then stay at them for extended periods of time) and have things like TVs/Screens and a keyboard stowed away and ready at both. Sounds overtly complicated but I'm sure such scenarios are actually pretty common. Of course they're not for taking to class or whatever, but hey!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Germstore posted:

For the price of a half way decent gaming laptop you can buy both a good laptop and gaming pc, and you'll have a better experience with both.

this is the key to computing success. got a big fucker of a desktop, and the most basic laptop lenovo has to offer. the dream team

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I just picked up a 17 inch gaming laptop. Heavy as hell, but I'd recommend it to anyone who want a bit of portability and still have playable games

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I bought a gaming laptop when I was traveling a lot for work and that's basically the perfect niche for one except 2 months later the travel budget got demolished and I didn't get to travel anywhere for 2 years lol whoops

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I have a 15 inch gaming laptop. It's not really that heavy. I pack it up and bring it to school almost every day.

My first laptop lasted me from 2007 to when I bought this one in 2014. My desktop is from 2009 and is still going strong after upgrading the graphics card a couple of times. Makes more sense to me than buying a cheap piece of poo poo every couple of years.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've wondered how viable carrying around a tiny desktop computer would be for people who travel for work or are couch surfing, since HDTVs with HDMI inputs that you can use as a display are ubiquitous these days. I could see a suitcase form factor computer with a keyboard that clips to the side like an old timey portable computer actually being useful.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've wondered how viable carrying around a tiny desktop computer would be for people who travel for work or are couch surfing, since HDTVs with HDMI inputs that you can use as a display are ubiquitous these days. I could see a suitcase form factor computer with a keyboard that clips to the side like an old timey portable computer actually being useful.
The problem with that is a lot of hotels go out of their way to lock you out of plugging your own devices to their tvs.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hello I am here to post about months-old things but mostly helpfully answering questions OK sorry

Mr_Angry posted:

Back before mp3s and downloadable music became a thing, those of us with our SoundBlaster 16s were rocking out to music from Mod4Win, which for its time was pretty drat awesome. One of the few things I actually paid some money for and to this day I'm kind of sad that I never backed up my library of .MOD files as some of them were pretty good. Here's a screenshot of said product (this shows it running on Vista but I was using this back in the days of Windows 3.1):
I meanwhile am kind of sad that I never registered it myself, I last used it back in the days when I still pirated things, so SHERE KHAN's version was the only one I ever knew.

But...if you want to remember some names of tunes, go get them back yourself in .MP3 format if they happen to be one of the 127,312 tracks that Stone Oakvalley has already converted for you: http://se2a1.bigbox.info/soamc/index.php

Humphreys posted:

Never heard it before but wow that is a good tune. Will admit I spent a good chunk of time trying to find a proper version thinking it was just a remake of a song.

It really sounded like something Blutengel would have made.
Dr. Awesome is one of those demoscene people who stayed in music outside the scene; he releases stuff under Bjorn Lynne most of the time, and it is pretty great. Also this thread has the most demoscene fandom I have seen in a thread in ages, between these posts and PowerofRecall discussing ModPlug Player, Woodch mentioning Purple Motion, and LaserGhost busting out a bunch of old-school names...and the Second Reality discussion a few pages before that, too! Wow! Now if only the Demoscene were not mostly known today for chiptunes and hilariously anachronistic demos on old hardware.

blowfish posted:

can I buy all of these :fap:
Unicomp produces new Model M keyboards, I am using one right now; go nuts!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Best Buy catalog from 1996. Pretty neat.

http://imgur.com/gallery/do6if
As insane as it is, this post almost helped me in real life. My friend donated his Windows 95 computer to me in the late 1990s to serve as a DOS machine that I am still using for that purpose to this day, and it is the PACKARD BELL(!) in the upper-right corner of the Windows machine page. I now know more about the specs of this computer than I ever thought I would. Or maybe there is some way to know how fast your CD-Rom drive is in DOS, but if so, I never figured it out.

I have a friend who does professional voiceover work, and you apparently for whatever incredibly stupid reason need to have an ISDN line for this purpose (at least if you do it remotely). Apparently every year or so when something goes wrong with his setup he has to spend hours on the phone bouncing between a dozen different people because nobody at Verizon understands what ISDN even is anymore, and has no idea what he is talking about, despite obviously providing the service.

nigga crab pollock posted:

100gb is more than enough for whatever poo poo you have. its more than enough for my poo poo and i am a loving nerd. buy a $20 flash drive for your 30gb music collection if you must, its more fail-secure than just putting all your poo poo on your main drive anyways

Non Serviam posted:

I have personally experienced edge cases for both of these ("wife needing terabytes of backup for recording conducting performances that she does not know if she will need for 2-3 years" and "temporarily moving to another country and buying a gaming laptop rather than getting a foreign desktop that I just had to abandon there anyway," respectively), and yet I still pretty much agree that both hard drives and laptops are worthless. Just decommissioned the laptop I have been using since 2008 because I am finally done with school so I no longer need to do stupid things like "endlessly work at coffee shops" and can focus on doing real computing :smug:

Also that Tandy 1000 cat from a couple months ago is beautiful. And probably long-dead ;(

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Casimir Radon posted:

The problem with that is a lot of hotels go out of their way to lock you out of plugging your own devices to their tvs.

Not Always

I forget where this is from though...

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
As long as they aren't physically blocking the ports, you can probably just get around it with a phone with an IR blaster or universal remote. I had to do that Wednesday night when I thought SAP was enabled on the TV. They had disabled all buttons on the TV except power, and the remote's menu button was disabled. In the end it turned out they were just only carrying Spanish feeds of some of the channels for some reason (maybe Cleveland has a huge Spanish speaking population I'm unaware of).

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Vanagoon posted:

Not Always

Looks like a Hyatt.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I use a Lenovo ThinkPad at the office because I can take it home/anywhere if necessary.

At home I have desktop for gaming that I originally bought as individual components and assembled sometime in the late 90ies. Ever since I have been upgrading parts whenever necessary. Of course, there is none of the original parts in there any more, the oldest part being the case from ~2000. Which will go next. It is just too big. If you are halfway capable, there is no need to ever buy a complete desktop system. Sourcing your own stuff is almost always cheaper and you don't have to compromise. Though I hear from friends that may be considerably more difficult in the US than in Germany.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vanagoon posted:

Not Always

I'm apparently not staying in the right hotels. If this was a bit more commonplace then the portable desktop would be a great idea. Hotels are just going to have to accept that people would rather crowd around an iPad to watch a movie than get gouged on pay-per-view.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

One reason hotel TVs (at least around here) don't really have standard inputs is that they're less likely to get stolen.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hopper posted:

At home I have desktop for gaming that I originally bought as individual components and assembled sometime in the late 90ies. Ever since I have been upgrading parts whenever necessary. Of course, there is none of the original parts in there any more, the oldest part being the case from ~2000.

This is a philosophical thought experiment known as the Gaming Rig of Theseus

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Hopper posted:

Though I hear from friends that may be considerably more difficult in the US than in Germany.

With Newegg, Amazon, fry's, and microcenter it's just as easy to do in the states. Up until recently my living room gaming/htpc was a PC that I'd built originally in 2007 that I kept replacing parts in to keep it modern.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hopper posted:

I use a Lenovo ThinkPad at the office because I can take it home/anywhere if necessary.

At home I have desktop for gaming that I originally bought as individual components and assembled sometime in the late 90ies. Ever since I have been upgrading parts whenever necessary. Of course, there is none of the original parts in there any more, the oldest part being the case from ~2000. Which will go next. It is just too big. If you are halfway capable, there is no need to ever buy a complete desktop system. Sourcing your own stuff is almost always cheaper and you don't have to compromise. Though I hear from friends that may be considerably more difficult in the US than in Germany.

Are you kidding? The US is the holy grail of building your own PC since the marketplace is more competitive and the VAT much lesser than anywhere in Europe.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat
I just picked this up:

Not only is it complete (even with reams of perforated paper and address labels), but the printer even has the original ribbon in the box.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Are you kidding? The US is the holy grail of building your own PC since the marketplace is more competitive and the VAT much lesser than anywhere in Europe.

My friend moved to New York and asked me for PC building advice for her son. When I suggest components she had major problems sourcing parts in stores or find competent help.
Over here, you can just walk into town and there are several stores that sell hardware components at the same price as you can get them online. And I am not talking Best buy or whatever but small specialised hardware stores that have actually knowledgeable guys in them not some sales people who don't know computers. (We have those stores, too, the big chains where you can only buy "consumer models" i.e. non-height adjustable monitors with trendy frame colours and glossy panels and overpriced complete systems).

Maybe she was in the wrong part of town though?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A lot of places in the US you are stuck with online retailers, but shipping is cheap or free and fast and RMAs are largely painless. The only real downside is if money is tight you may have to wait for an RMA before buying a replacement part, but I've built three systems and only had one RMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I guess it's just a matter of knowing the right place to shop, but ultimately I guarantee you that you can build the same computer in the US cheaper than in Germany, regardless of if you use online retailers (I don't know why that would be a bad option, it's not like you are going to be able to examine the quality of the Intel processor you are buying).