Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yeah. The college I'm looking and more than likely going to (University San Diego) is apparently for profit but it's regionally accredited instead of anything else. It was option B after SDSU pretty much told me I had a slim as gently caress chance.

As long as I can get a degree that holds weight, I'll be fine.

Burt posted:

Be careful of this.

I have a friend who is a well known film camera man, been on lot's of blockbuster films and he wanted to get into directing. In order for him to do this he had to just utterly give up camera work. Apparently you are either a camera operator or a director, you won't be taken seriously by the industry if you try both. He went over a year with no work just to get the break he needed to stop people thinking he was a camera operator. He directed a few commercials then went back to the cameras as he said he just couldn't break into directing, there's far too many people with better contacts but not necessarily more talent.

Yup. The point I was makin was that I can stick to one of the above and not worry as much. My old boss worked at a tv station and retry much explained that everyone has a single job, and that a camera man would never edit, vice versa etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Please do not give any money to a for profit college, they're loving awful and they target veterans for their government money.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Not really any other options for me. I'm 100% goin to San Diego.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I take that back. Don't know if it's for profit, but it's definitely a private school

Yeah it's rated #72 for veterans nationally and #89 for National Universities so it's probably not as bad as I'm thinking it could be. Nerves and poo poo

Soulex fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 5, 2016

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
USD is a legitimate school. It's probably #2 in the area (behind UCSD), though it definitely excels in some fields. Also, the campus is absolutely beautiful and has a great view of the city.

Edit: Where are you seeing that USD is for-profit? Everything I'm reading says that it's private, not-for profit.

Time Crisis Actor fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 5, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Just googled it, it's a private catholic school. Not sure where you got the info that it was a for-profit.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I must have looked at a different school TBH.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Private and for profit are different things.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, I was looking at a different school I'm sure. Somehow my brain parsed it wrong.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
to be fair to anyone thats been in the military, for profits are pushed and advertised constantly as something soldiers should do because if you don't take courses at some poo poo school then you're a bad nco or something.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

to be fair to anyone thats been in the military, for profits are pushed and advertised constantly as something soldiers should do because if you don't take courses at some poo poo school then you're a bad nco or something.

I'm really surprised the DoD hasn't banned for-profit universities from operating on military bases.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Just googled it, it's a private catholic school. Not sure where you got the info that it was a for-profit.

catholic huh? soulex hoping for an old nun to paddle his rear end, bet :mmmhmm:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
If someone in the military is pushing you to do something that will affect your life as a civilian, you should closely examine what it is they're suggesting, because it's probably retarded.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

catholic huh? soulex hoping for an old nun to paddle his rear end, bet :mmmhmm:

Don't kink shame

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

psydude posted:

I'm really surprised the DoD hasn't banned for-profit universities from operating on military bases.
University of Pheonix is currently banned from operating on military installations. Otherwide they have lobbyists to protect them, and a bunch of dickheads who think tradional universities are liberal indoctrination camps.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Naked Bear posted:

If someone in the military is pushing you to do something that will affect your life as a civilian, you should closely examine what it is they're suggesting, because it's probably retarded.

this is a fact

psydude posted:

well, the half dozen or so times I was held captive on a training day to hear about a university it was always some retired SNCO representing the school so its obviously a kickback money sort of thing. poo poo loving pissed me off because so many people would sign the gently caress up.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Lol @ the retard comcast cable tech telling me when he got out of the army he went to university of Phoenix and they're so good and legit bro, use your GI bill on them.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

So to be clear, VR&E is only available for people with disability ratings right?

Doesn't matter to me either way, because I'm getting hella pell grants that will guarantee I won't spend a dime on my degree even if I exhaust the GI Bill and a master's if I want. If you are a veteran and haven't done your FAFSA what is wrong with you? Guess you don't want your ~$7800/yr

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
10% services connected, or 20% VA disability ratings, are the minimums to get access to it, yes.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Just don't ever piss off your VR&E counselor.

I have the same one Literally Shaking had and I pissed in her Cheerios on day one, and didn't get to start school for like a year and a half.

If your a legit crazy vet be ready to have to show medication and therapy compliance if you give them any reason to do so. Like going off on the VA people or whatever.

Be on your meds and best behavior when dealing with VR&E, folks. :tipshat:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Compliance with what? I mean, as far as I know I'm not under any requirements to remain medicated or anything?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not everyone is a diagnosed lunatic like Shim

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean that in the best way too

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Maybe don't yell at your voc rehab counselor; if they're stupid enough to work for the VA their lives are hard enough already

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, take into account your anger level before going in to VR&E. You might encounter a "hooked-on-phonics" handling of you until they're sure you're not Willy Wonka levels of bonkers, but that fades pretty quick once you start doing what they tell you.

Still worth it.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zeris posted:

Maybe don't yell at your voc rehab counselor; if they're stupid enough to work for the VA their lives are hard enough already

dont shimshame in here this is a safe space

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
Just got my early drop for university packet approved, acceptance letter from George Washington U, and just finished ACAP/TAPS, freedom is so close. Can't wait to be billy Madison after this 6 and some change year "adventure."

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Congrats dude

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Ptolemaeus posted:

Just got my early drop for university packet approved, acceptance letter from George Washington U, and just finished ACAP/TAPS, freedom is so close. Can't wait to be billy Madison after this 6 and some change year "adventure."

Congrats! I'm waiting to hear back from mine :ohdear: I can't wait to do it too!

App13
Dec 31, 2011

The kid who sleeps all the time in calc just woke up and started asking "deep and complex" questions that were all answered during the first week of class.

"But WHY is d/dx [c] always 0? What is the importance of 0? I'm sorry if that's too deep a question."

Well because it's a horizontal line and that's what the slope is. Which is why the professor drew a graph with a horizontal line on it.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Congrats on getting into gwu brother

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

dont shimshame in here this is a safe space

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

App13 posted:

The kid who sleeps all the time in calc just woke up and started asking "deep and complex" questions that were all answered during the first week of class.

"But WHY is d/dx [c] always 0? What is the importance of 0? I'm sorry if that's too deep a question."

Well because it's a horizontal line and that's what the slope is. Which is why the professor drew a graph with a horizontal line on it.

The kid that is either talking about anime or sleeping in my class fell asleep at the end of it. Everyone filed out while a few of us just sat there laughing and waiting for him to wake up.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Ptolemaeus posted:

Solid. GWU is a good school.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

App13 posted:

I remember back when I was struggling to comprehend calc I, those were such innocent days: before the dark times, before differential equations.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Jarmak posted:

I remember back when I was struggling to comprehend calc I, those were such innocent days: before the dark times, before differential equations.

Not looking forward to diff eq's

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I wish Newton's ghost would haunt the bitch that kept asking "why are we learning this? How is it even useful in real life?" in my calc 1 class

Hit up patrickjmt, math dr bob, and integral calc on youtube if you need any help. Seriously a ton of examples and go to study sessions. Calc takes a lot of practice and memorization of rules.

Also if you think calc is hard, never ever take a theoretical math course. Unless you want your brain to end up in gently caress town.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Ptolemaeus posted:

Congrats, dude! My cousin is there right now. Good school!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Naked Bear posted:

Congrats, dude! My cousin is there right now. Good school!

Ditto.

How many of us have cousins that are smart enough to get in GWU but not rich enough to get into ivy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Ditto.

How many of us have cousins that are smart enough to get in GWU but not rich enough to get into ivy?

Best I got is a cousin teaching music at UGA

• Locked thread