Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Skandranon posted:

You have to supply the map awareness for bots. There is nothing that can be done for pubbies.

But my whole point is if I get dragged by one of the guys (I forget their names) or if a gutter runner jumps on me, I'm totally hosed. There's not a loving thing I can do.

That's a huge problem.

I have tons of map awareness and I spend team games like this constantly watching my teammates, but the bots and pubbies can't be arsed to do any of that and as soon as some boss rat takes me out, that's loving game over. Which is infuriating. If somebody else gets hopped on by a gutter runner I'm there right away, but if one gets on me, that's it.

Sounds like the only way I can really enjoy this game is with 3 other goons, which means I'm just not going to play very often. That's why I kinda ignored it up till now even though its a cool game and its been sitting in my inventory. Trying it out more but I'm just getting frustrated.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I know what you mean.

Also I'm noticing some new performance dips in the main game, as well as an increase amount of swarming (and a higher number of rats in the swarm) and just more specials coming out of the woodwork in general.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Zaphod42 posted:

But my whole point is if I get dragged by one of the guys (I forget their names) or if a gutter runner jumps on me, I'm totally hosed. There's not a loving thing I can do.

That's a huge problem.

I have tons of map awareness and I spend team games like this constantly watching my teammates, but the bots and pubbies can't be arsed to do any of that and as soon as some boss rat takes me out, that's loving game over. Which is infuriating. If somebody else gets hopped on by a gutter runner I'm there right away, but if one gets on me, that's it.

Sounds like the only way I can really enjoy this game is with 3 other goons, which means I'm just not going to play very often. That's why I kinda ignored it up till now even though its a cool game and its been sitting in my inventory. Trying it out more but I'm just getting frustrated.

The fact that you can't do anything to break out of a specials attack is a conscious design decision, harking back to L4D. It's not enough to reward teams that work together (see Team Fortress 2, a team that works together will do better), you must punish people who don't work together. Otherwise, people will just go off and rambo poo poo. Specials are the punishment for not working together. Yes, it sucks when you get lovely teams, but so far, this is the best way of coercing the filthy, unwashed masses to even sort of work together.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Play on a harder difficulty? On Nightmare, I almost never run into pubbies who don't know how to assist their teammates.

Also, if you feel you can't rely on your teammates to save you from packmasters, play wizard and get a beam staff. The primary fire is insanely fast and does enough burn damage to one-shot a packmaster (for an orange staff on Nightmare).

e: Unrelated question. For a Flame Sword, should I try for an Earthing Rune on normal attack, or is the charged attack version good enough? I feel like the normal attack version would let me vent a lot faster.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 1, 2016

Weirdoman
Jun 12, 2001

I was walking down the street when I saw a bovus. And then it hit me...I was hit by a bovus.
^he said it faster

I have better luck with pubs the higher the difficulty I go with. Passing all the nightmares went so much smoother than the normal runs.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

Play on a harder difficulty? On Nightmare, I almost never run into pubbies who don't know how to assist their teammates.

Also, if you feel you can't rely on your teammates to save you from packmasters, play wizard and get a beam staff. The primary fire is insanely fast and does enough burn damage to one-shot a packmaster (for an orange staff on Nightmare).

e: Unrelated question. For a Flame Sword, should I try for an Earthing Rune on normal attack, or is the charged attack version good enough? I feel like the normal attack version would let me vent a lot faster.

I have mine on the normal attack, I'm pretty happy. Don't often use the charged attack on flame sword.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lunethex posted:

Also I'm noticing some new performance dips in the main game, as well as an increase amount of swarming (and a higher number of rats in the swarm) and just more specials coming out of the woodwork in general.

Yeah the spawn rate of specials seems way too high. I was playing on only normal over the weekend and we once got hit with a dragger-rat (still don't know the name) and a rat ogre and a gutter runner all at the same time, I was like Jesus! What is hard mode like if this is normal?

Skandranon posted:

The fact that you can't do anything to break out of a specials attack is a conscious design decision, harking back to L4D. It's not enough to reward teams that work together (see Team Fortress 2, a team that works together will do better), you must punish people who don't work together. Otherwise, people will just go off and rambo poo poo. Specials are the punishment for not working together. Yes, it sucks when you get lovely teams, but so far, this is the best way of coercing the filthy, unwashed masses to even sort of work together.

I completely understand that but it simply does not work if you aren't playing with 3 real human beings you know. That's a huge design flaw.

Like I'm tempted to say they should just disable gutter runners and dragger-rats if you're playing by yourself with bots or make it an option for when you're playing with pubbies. I guess everybody would turn that on to farm loot, but this seriously sucks balls.

People just don't pay attention and leave me there to die. What you're saying, that it'll inspire teamwork, just doesn't work. It didn't happen in Left4Dead either. It does mean that you have to work together to succeed, but it just means that pubbies fail, not that pubbies work together.

If the game is designed so that pubbies fail, they shouldn't even have matchmaking.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Skandranon posted:

I have mine on the normal attack, I'm pretty happy. Don't often use the charged attack on flame sword.

Yeah, me neither. I'll just keep rerolling until I get Bloodlust + Normal Earthing Rune + ???.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Avenging Dentist posted:

I guess that's ironically the solution, playing on lower difficulties to get my bearings but that means I get matched up with mouthbreathers who can't handle hard difficulty.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess that's ironically the solution, playing on lower difficulties to get my bearings but that means I get matched up with mouthbreathers who can't handle hard difficulty.

Frankly (and this is more speaking to your original point) if you get to the end of the level, just loving close the wagon up and DO NOT GO BACK for people who are pounced or hooked or incapacitated. You should encourage pubbies to leave you if you are the pouncee/hookee.

It's a whole 50 XP per person alive, literal peanuts, and everyone gets loots if even one person finishes. I know it's not ~*Role Playing*~ but as soon as your objective is complete it should be a sprint to Olesya / the boat. Not saying no teamwork involved to get everybody there, but if you are sitting by yourself in the cart, your team has collectively won whether they are with you or not.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I think what's pissing him off more is that he was carrying a grim or tome, or the people in those situations have such items. I know he didn't say it but that would certainly cause some grief.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

whitey delenda est posted:

Frankly (and this is more speaking to your original point) if you get to the end of the level, just loving close the wagon up and DO NOT GO BACK for people who are pounced or hooked or incapacitated. You should encourage pubbies to leave you if you are the pouncee/hookee.

It's a whole 50 XP per person alive, literal peanuts, and everyone gets loots if even one person finishes. I know it's not ~*Role Playing*~ but as soon as your objective is complete it should be a sprint to Olesya / the boat. Not saying no teamwork involved to get everybody there, but if you are sitting by yourself in the cart, your team has collectively won whether they are with you or not.

Yeah I figured that out, right after we all died I was so frustrated I vowed to myself I'd never go back for somebody again. Its bad enough in L4D but its way worse in this or payday where you actually miss out on getting loot because of it.

That said, after that match I played other matches and we didn't even make it to the wagon because I kept getting pounced and nobody would respond fast enough.

Lunethex posted:

I think what's pissing him off more is that he was carrying a grim or tome, or the people in those situations have such items. I know he didn't say it but that would certainly cause some grief.

Yeah tomes were involved so that's extra incentive to go back, but still probably not worth it.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah definitely frustrating, honestly if a player (bots are excused by lovely AI programming that makes them HATE ALL GUNNERS SO MUCH SO MUCH) is further away from the team than like, the next room over, they are loving up. Play with goons, the chat group has people in it somewhat regularly. I generally ONLY hop on to play when I can count on at least one person on my list being there too.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I had a very weird moment earlier tonight. I was in the middle of an Enemy Below run and we got to the bridge area pretty close to the end of the mission, the one you go under and then you go up and cross over. As we were approaching the underside, something odd caught my eye on the bridge. I looked up at it, and paused for a second to whip out the handgun and Eagle Eye in to get a better look. It was a humanoid figure, but it wasn't a Skaven of any kind. It was pretty clearly a human, and I took a couple of seconds to make sure I wasn't just looking at a Skaven at some odd angle. I wish I had the presence of mind to screenshot it before my instinct took over and I shot it, but what can you do. Are there even any human models aside from the PCs and the bartender in this game, maybe hidden away and unused?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
It's amazing how much difference it makes to be hosting in this game versus not. I'm a huge fan of Hammer Kruber, and can be quite effective with him when I'm running the session. Whenever I join anyone else's game, that extra little half-second of lag completely screws the timing on my swings and winds up getting me nickeled and dimed to death.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Good lord the Bolt Staff is actually kick rear end now. It's a trueflight staff now!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Lunethex posted:

Good lord the Bolt Staff is actually kick rear end now. It's a trueflight staff now!

Nice, that's my favorite staff (and I have Targeter on it so I can actually hit stuff when I want to be Vegeta). Although it sounds like they might have nerfed the Beam staff a little too hard, which would be sad. The Beam staff is also really fun, and I'd have to have to stop using it entirely to remain effective.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Just joined a random Nightmare Horn game. Guy hosting was a lvl 554 elf.

Yes, 554.

Also to the guy getting frustrating over playing this game, when you're low level and playing normals, this game sucks. Everyone is new, they suck mechanically and don't understand how important teamwork is to not get wiped. Once you get your skills up a bit to where you can hold your own and grasp that leaving people behind and going on on your own gets you killed you'll be able to run hard/nightmare with much better results. Because everyone at that point realizes this too and gets their poo poo together. For me that point was about lvl 25. I'm lvl 33 now and I've cleared more than half of the maps on Nightmare.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Present posted:

a lvl 554 elf.

Yes, 554.

I'm sorry, what?

:psypop:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Not sure if plays a lot or just cheats.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Finding experience in the memory editor on CheatEngine is trivial, but level is pointless.

There is a level 400+ guy who legit played.

But for the 500? Most likely cheating. Then again there are a few weirdos on this game with 400-700 hours played and they own like no other loving game on Steam.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Finding experience in the memory editor on CheatEngine is trivial, but level is pointless.

There is a level 400+ guy who legit played.

But for the 500? Most likely cheating. Then again there are a few weirdos on this game with 400-700 hours played and they own like no other loving game on Steam.

There's no server-side sanity checking on experience at all?

For that matter is there an offline mode? If so then yeah its easy.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Well level isn't pointless, assuming you can get the items. That's a lot of green ore. You can slowly grind your way to oranges that way.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I wonder what the level up reward is at 500+ :aaaaa:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's a green item per levelup for everything after 33.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Apparently this was worth a 5.7gb download.

Last Stand Changes
- Reduced delay between waves from 25 seconds to 15 seconds

Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug where “heroes alive” xp wasn’t being properly granted
- Fixed several traits not working properly for clients
- Fixed a crash that could occur whilst picking up a barrel at the same time as it was hit by an attack
- Fixed a crash that could occur when taking damage and being revived simultaneously

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Somone save me from these PUBS!!!:cry:

Kharn_The_Betrayer fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 5, 2016

InsaneMurmur
May 30, 2010
The new last stand map Schluesselschloss is fully built and functional, first footage of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkoGA8uB0bg

I suspect some of the larger recent patches may have included the data for this.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Seriously disappointed that map was just another Last Stand thing. Wasted opportunity, for real.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Wow yeah that is massively disappointing if it's true. Game's fading fast and the people still playing deserve another real map.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I thought they were putting out a Last Stand version and that there'd be a real map later?

I need more actual levels, goddamnit.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Watching the video, I'm kind of hoping for the Last Stand mechanic to morph into basically the reverse of the current game. Instead of pushing through a horde of rats to an objective, you have to resist hordes of rats as they push towards an objective, slowly retreating. Kind of like Onslaught mode in Unreal Tournament.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Geight posted:

Wow yeah that is massively disappointing if it's true. Game's fading fast and the people still playing deserve another real map.

Only have to look at the Steam forum to see the three assholes responsible for the latest in this too, because the devs only listen to them for some reason. Every nerf and bad change has been their suggestion.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lunethex posted:

Only have to look at the Steam forum to see the three assholes responsible for the latest in this too, because the devs only listen to them for some reason. Every nerf and bad change has been their suggestion.

Ah the good ol vocal minority approach. Because if they can appease the people who complain the loudest then everyone will be happy right?

Or you get a game where only the hardest of the hardcore enjoy.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

averox posted:

Or you get snatch dusted.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

xthetenth posted:

averox posted:

Or you get snatch dusted.

:shittypop:

How soon I've forgotten.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What nerfs have there been recently besides the beam staff, which was sorely needed as it clearly outclassed every other staff

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I had a chance meeting today with a group of super awesome people who were all wearing the Star of Sisterhood, the trinket that combines life pools between all players.

And it was the most hysterical poo poo I've ever seen out of the game. Everytime you take damage it hits the other players, but if you take falling damage or vent heat and take damage, the other characters complain like you shot them with FF.

Elf takes fall damage

"THAT'S A KEEN EYE YOU'VE GOT THERE WUTELGI!"
"YOUR AIM DISAPPOINTS WAYWATCHER"

Wizard vents

"I DONT ENJOY BEING BROILED ZHARRIN!"
"STOP THAT ZHARRIN!"

Stop that.

I'm dying. Seriously if you have that trinket, find other people who do it's so loving funny. It's also impossible to lose.

Also standing in a gas cloud triggers it too. Saltzpyre gets hit with gas

"NOT YET SALTZPYRE! IDIOT!"
"DOESN'T SIGMAR SAY DONT SHOOT THE DWARF?"

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 5, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

To be fair, if my life was somehow tied to that of a bunch of other morons, I'd be pretty mad if they kept hurting themselves and voodooing it over to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The very best thing about it all is the Wizard can explode by overcharging too much and it doesn't kill her outright like it normally would. It just deals a huge amount of damage to the party health.

• Locked thread