Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Mors Rattus posted:

Tell people in the recruit what theme you want.

The exact theme isn't as important as the presence of one, but yeah, this is probably what i'll have to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

It's pointless to worry about the PCs having a theme if the theme doesn't have anything to do with the theme of the chronicle. Unless your chronicle is about comic book henchmen in which case it makes sense.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.

Hipster Occultist posted:

My last MET character (yeah I know) was a Gangrel that wore a cowboy hat and talked in a foghorn leghorn accent. :v:

Hey, man, nothing wrong with playing MET. That's actually how I got my first exposure to WoD. The only real barriers to a good MET game are the fact that everyone needs to be on the same page about houserules (because you WILL need them, though the BNS books seem to be making this a non-issue, which is good), and not having lovely players doing lovely things.

Unfortunately, there's a Baskin Robbins-esque variety of kinds of lovely players that will always do lovely things, which turns the last point into, "Try to mitigate the shittiness of lovely players as best you can". There's always gonna be that one guy who will loving argue a ruling in the middle of combat for twenty five loving minutes despite the fact that you've told him six times to write his rules concern in his weekly downtime action and that it will be brought into consideration at the next ST meeting, and that you've made a call on the rule that will stay for tonight. I may have gone a little bit insane having to deal with That loving Guy as an ST of a Dreaming LARP (I know, loving shoot me, the game is awful but I had a blast thanks to a mostly great player base not being lovely), because he liked to treat Arts and Realms like the Spheres in Mage and THAT'S NOT HOW THEY WORK. On the other hand, he did teach me a great deal of patience when dealing with players.

... poo poo, this is not a good sell on MET, is it? :negative:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The big issue I had with running MET combat was that people would generally not pay attention when it wasn't their turn, want to be updated on what had happened five feet from them when it wasn't their turn, and would then pull out their sheet and go over their options. I tried to speed things along by limiting the length of time you had to make your decision, but oh how people whined.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

The big issue I had with running MET combat was that people would generally not pay attention when it wasn't their turn, want to be updated on what had happened five feet from them when it wasn't their turn, and would then pull out their sheet and go over their options. I tried to speed things along by limiting the length of time you had to make your decision, but oh how people whined.

Mass combat is the absolute worst thing that can happen to you in any iteration of MET. As an ST I would try anything to avoid it including just bribing the players to do something else.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
In general, rock / paper / scissors is an awful, awful means of task resolution.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

In general, rock / paper / scissors is an awful, awful means of task resolution.

Eh other methods weren't better.

Requiem MET used a simple card draw+skill resolution system. It's faster, but that's not the part that grinds mass combat to a close. It's 10+ nerds trying to figure out the most significant thing they can do with their 3 second turn before whatever they're fighting gets erased on round 2.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In retrospect I should've just stuck with my guns and given people ten seconds to declare their action. Would've kept things moving a lot quicker.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Mendrian posted:

Eh other methods weren't better.

Requiem MET used a simple card draw+skill resolution system. It's faster, but that's not the part that grinds mass combat to a close. It's 10+ nerds trying to figure out the most significant thing they can do with their 3 second turn before whatever they're fighting gets erased on round 2.

Requiems 10d5 system was worse than r/p/s by a significant margin it was the worst. The absolute worst. Every live system i play now just uses dice rolling apps and tabletop rules

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

10d5 makes me so amgry

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Little_wh0re posted:

10d5 makes me so amgry

How do you even roll that?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
roll 10d10, decide beforehand if you go 1122334455 or 1234512345

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Is there a reason the system couldn't be built to be 5d10 instead?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Kavak posted:

Is there a reason the system couldn't be built to be 5d10 instead?

Not sure if this in any way answers your question, but I just discovered this amazing site, so I'm posting it anyway.
http://anydice.com/program/7cf3/graph

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I thought the live action system for Requiem etc was basically 1d10, what's 10d5? How the hell does that work?

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you carry around a deck of 10 cards so rather than the d meaning die/dice, maybe it means 10 draw 5.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ralp posted:

you carry around a deck of 10 cards so rather than the d meaning die/dice, maybe it means 10 draw 5.

A deck of 10 cards numbered 1-10, making getting doubles or more than 3 successes literally impossible?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
From the brief time I played in a Requiem LARP, the system was
1) Roll 1d10
2) Add attribute & ability to roll
3) If the result is 10+, you get one success, with 1 more success for every 3 above 10 (so 13 = 2 successes, 16 = 3 successes, etc)
Though IIRC apparently the +1 per 3 was a houserule and it's normally +1 per 5, so maybe that's what was meant by 10d5? 10 for 1 success, +1 success per 5 above 10?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, I don't know anything about Requiem LARP, that's well after I quit. I just remember the RPS system allowing me to pull laughable wins if I recognized somebody's bad play habits.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kurieg posted:

A deck of 10 cards numbered 1-10, making getting doubles or more than 3 successes literally impossible?

Yes.
"The 2005 Mind's Eye Theatre system, however, used a random card-draw mechanic. Every player carried a deck of ten playing cards (2-10, plus an Ace), and added a skill modifier to their draw."

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The way we always ran it was that you had a deck of cards, with face cards removed. So you had 40 cards, 8 and 9 were a success, 10 let you reshuffle and draw another card. Not quite as good as a plain old dice roll, but far more efficient during a LARP.

These days we mostly just use dice roller apps.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

The requiem met system is
Carry a set of cards 1-10.
Draw one card and add it to your pool
10 is 1 success, 15 is 2, 20 is 3 and so on. Or 10d5or 10div5 as its known.

It plays like poo poo

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Where i'm from, you usually have a static score of how fighty you are for fights, and willpower, possibly with similar score, for psychic stuff. No randomness at all.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Little_wh0re posted:

The requiem met system is
Carry a set of cards 1-10.
Draw one card and add it to your pool
10 is 1 success, 15 is 2, 20 is 3 and so on. Or 10d5or 10div5 as its known.

It plays like poo poo

The best part about this is that it's literally 1D10 (the card draw) plus stat plus skill plus modifier, so you literally need a stat plus skill plus modifier to have a 10% chance of an exceptional success.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

The best part about this is that it's literally 1D10 (the card draw) plus stat plus skill plus modifier, so you literally need a stat plus skill plus modifier to have a 10% chance of an exceptional success.

There is literally no way in which this is more efficient or random than having someone follow you around with a shoebox full of d10s

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
LARPing sounds kinda dumb. "And now my immortal nemesis, we will settle matters once and for all! Pick a card, any card."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You fool, you've activated my trap Discipline!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I would love it if someone showed up to a MET Larp with one of these as their deck holder.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

LARPing sounds kinda dumb. "And now my immortal nemesis, we will settle matters once and for all! Pick a card, any card."

To be fair, that's a feature of MET and similar systems, not all larping.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.
Gotta say I do love how BNS has really streamlined everything in their new MET system. Getting bogged down with infinite re-tests on every single throw was the most annoying thing aside from the Trait system itself. Dots on a sheet like with tabletop is much smoother, not to mention infinitely easier to understand.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Pope Guilty posted:

I thought the best part was that NWoD/CofD's dice system was much better suited to rock paper scissors (success happens about a third of the time per die) than its predecessor but they went with this.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I meant that you need stat plus skill plus modifier of 20 to have a 10% chance of an exceptional success. It was late.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
It was awful because there was basically no way of beating somebody who was better than you. In tabletop WoD, if somebody has a few more dice than you then they don't have that much of an advantage and even if they're massively better than you then there's still stuff you can do to level the playing field. In IoD (the UK's version of MET LARP) I saw Mages who genuinely had like +25 or +30 to whatever they drew, so basically gently caress you if you're a chargen character there's nothing you can do - a single 1d10 is much lower randomness than the full dice pool, since your roll can be affected by a max of 9 points, which is less than 2 successes. The fact it was +1 success per 5 instead of per 3 also meant that everyone was significantly shittier than the equivalent tabletop character and things bore no relation to how they would look in tabletop. It was weird, since it was most definitely less convenient than the ST having a diceroller app on his phone - since you needed to have an ST present to do card draws anyway - so the literal only argument for the card system (that it was more convenient, quicker and didn't need props like dice) was completely null and void.

I had some good experiences with WoD LARP and really enjoyed the characters I played, but man did the system suck.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Doodmons posted:

I had some good experiences with WoD LARP and really enjoyed the characters I played, but man did the system suck.

ParlourLARP.txt

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Okay, guys, i'd like to hear your guys opinion on a tweak i may be using for my mage game regarding certain wisdom sins:
Magic that is a wisdom sin primarily because of its risk - goetia, summoning royal avatars and such - only counts as a wisdom sin if you loose control of it or the the possible harmful side effects occur or whatever. So doing goetia only sins you if you fail to subdue your goetic demon, for example, and summoning that kickass spirit that the other mages said would totally eat you is only a wisdom sin if it totally eats you, so on and so forth.
Abyssal magic is still always sinful, of course, because even if you don't loose control, you still hurt the world.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
My advice to you is to literally delete every mage-specific sin from the Wisdom chart and make it lost identically to the way that Morality is.

Like, if your demon accidentally escapes and eats someone, that's manslaughter. If you rip someone's soul out and render them catatonic, that's at least as bad as lobotomizing them with an ice pick.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

My advice to you is to literally delete every mage-specific sin from the Wisdom chart and make it lost identically to the way that Morality is.

Like, if your demon accidentally escapes and eats someone, that's manslaughter. If you rip someone's soul out and render them catatonic, that's at least as bad as lobotomizing them with an ice pick.

and if you make an animate clay figure with your face, that's like, woah, dude, woah, man

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, I was considering goetic magick, but then I realized the drawbacks were lawlwut compared to the benefits, particularly early on, and wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I was considering goetic magick, but then I realized the drawbacks were lawlwut compared to the benefits, particularly early on, and wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Well, i love goetia and am concidering just altogether make it not a sin, if that helps any. (also, you can find me on #badwrongfun if you want to discuss stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Goetia has built-in drawbacks (which could easily cause you to lose Wisdom as they resolve) and it's completely insane that you also lose Wisdom for just using it in the first place.