Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I dunno guys I feel like the FH2 storyline was compelling and deep, with well fleshed-out characters and captivating dialog. :mrgw:

nothing is worse than TDU2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

geeves posted:

I heard they hired the creative director from Madden.

Yes they are going to redesign the forza 6 card system. Except instead of having mods and things in the packs. The new card packs will be how you unlock new cars and upgrades (that you still have to purchase). They will make all the top 100 cars require you to get 'legendary' cards from packs that you can buy with in game credits or with real money.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
IDK if you're joking or not but I don't believe Dan Greenawalt is going anywhere.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

I can't see Turn10 putting Porsche in future games, even if they could get the license at the same cash as other manufacturers. They've got a group of players that'll pay 1/3 of the price of the retail game just to drive them even if they've already paid out for a seasons pass of DLC.

If anything, the success of DLC like this will only encourage them to hold back cars for future packs. Between card packs, DLC, in-game transactions, and the boiled down Windows Forza, it looks like they're trying to move the franchise to a FtP model.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

With the Halo 5 req system being a success, I wouldn't be surprised if turn10 did what I suggested above, and put cars and upgradable parts into card packs. I won't buy it if they do, but 8ts where we are headed.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PhancyPants posted:

If anything, the success of DLC like this will only encourage them to hold back cars for future packs. Between card packs, DLC, in-game transactions, and the boiled down Windows Forza, it looks like they're trying to move the franchise to a FtP model.
Phancy's hot take. Impressive.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Look, just because a company has a proven historic 100% track record of not doing A Thing, I have a real strong feeling it's all a ruse so when they do A Thing it'll be so

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Do you guys not remember the shitfit when FM5 hit and was full of microtransactions?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
it's weird, I remember the shitfit but the way I remember it was that the only people having the shitfit were people who hadn't played the game and couldn't identify that absolutely no one on the planet, literally anyone, had to spend a single microtransactional token to get anything in the game if they were willing to play it for an hour or two.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ether Frenzy posted:

it's weird, I remember the shitfit but the way I remember it was that the only people having the shitfit were people who hadn't played the game and couldn't identify that absolutely no one on the planet, literally anyone, had to spend a single microtransactional token to get anything in the game if they were willing to play it for an hour or two.

I like the forza 6 solution. Have an option to hide them.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ether Frenzy posted:

This is patently false. The microtransactions were complained about because Forza 5's in-game economy was hosed when the game launched. Turn 10 making massive changes to car prices and race payouts would not have happened otherwise.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Forza 6 is in a really good place and I hope it isn't messed with in future games.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cubey posted:

This is patently false. The microtransactions were complained about because Forza 5's in-game economy was hosed when the game launched. Turn 10 making massive changes to car prices and race payouts would not have happened otherwise.

I hate to say it, but I agree with Cubivore. The game was pretty bad economy-wise upon release until December when they fixed the economy by tweaking the car prices, gifting the Lotus F1 car to everyone, and greatly increasing race payouts. Before that it really wasn't as bad as people feared it would be, but it was still pretty bad.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Forza 6 is in a really good place and I hope it isn't messed with in future games.

Same but about Forza 4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

In case anyone has forgotten GTCC is still happening on Wednesdays at 9e/8c. It's a bit more streamlined now. We use party chat in order to talk to each other because voice chat is still garbage. it's some semi serious racing and you can arrive and drive. BCRock and Llamaslayer usually have cars made to fit that week's spec. You can just hit the lobby, ask in party chat which car is good and download a tune. Show up, have some fun (racist) conversations, chill with some dudes, experience Bentron getting drunk and have a good time. Almost everyone is invited.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

GutBomb posted:

I hate to say it, but I agree with Cubivore. The game was pretty bad economy-wise upon release until December when they fixed the economy by tweaking the car prices, gifting the Lotus F1 car to everyone, and greatly increasing race payouts. Before that it really wasn't as bad as people feared it would be, but it was still pretty bad.

I bought an F1 car before the economy change just because I had the money to do so, from playing the game. So maybe you should git gud or something I guess.

I'll certainly agree that the economy wasn't perfect, but they also tweaked it basically immediately after the game released after about the fifth angry forums post saying it was an atrocity that you had to play the game to get money in it, so if there was a nefarious scheme to microtransact everyone to death they sure did a immediate 180 on that business plan at the very first hint of backlash and haven't looked back.

Which goes to my earlier statement that historically, they haven't shown a pattern of anything like that and even if they did that on purpose - which is up for debate - they immediately fixed it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

This is definitely true but (the economy/earnings needed reworking) but it happened pretty quickly and during that time I didn't spend any money on microtransactions, and I didn't after, either.

Microtransactions were inevitable of course, but I don't think anyone believes you needed them to compete.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I said come in! posted:

I hope it is messed with by them bringing back the storefront, the auction house, car clubs and the overall leaderboards.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I dont like all the free DLC cars. I like encouraging the player to choose one car or another with limited resources. These games are more fun when you build a relationship with a car because you need to grind a little with it to afford anything, much less a replacement car. Economy and car owership was the one thing that GranTurismo did better occasionally. (not to defend the abortions that are 5 and 6)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Raise your hand if you were so desperate for money in GT that you put your starter car on the oval, started an endurance race, and put a rubber band around your controller so the race would finish in 25 minutes while you did something else, over and over, until you could afford a better car.
GT could be extremely grindy. Not to mention how truly awful some of the license tests were.

Since I've gotten heavily into league racing I've used the breaks between sessions to build/tune/paint more and more cars; and now with the Porsche Anthology it's like an embarrassment of riches. I wish I had more time to build tune and paint my growing fleet. I can't remember the last time I've had so much consistent fun in FM, and holy poo poo VIR is awesome.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cubey posted:

I hope it is messed with by them bringing back the storefront, the auction house, car clubs and the overall leaderboards.

Okay I will give you that, there are some features from Forza 4 that I really miss.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr. Faustus posted:

Raise your hand if you were so desperate for money in GT that you put your starter car on the oval, started an endurance race, and put a rubber band around your controller so the race would finish in 25 minutes while you did something else, over and over, until you could afford a better car.
GT could be extremely grindy. Not to mention how truly awful some of the license tests were.

Since I've gotten heavily into league racing I've used the breaks between sessions to build/tune/paint more and more cars; and now with the Porsche Anthology it's like an embarrassment of riches. I wish I had more time to build tune and paint my growing fleet. I can't remember the last time I've had so much consistent fun in FM, and holy poo poo VIR is awesome.

In gt6 there was a money exploit where you could get the GT vision car, downgrade the game, and sell it for 2 million. Then update, buy it again (a few of them) and then downgrade and sell them for 2 million up to a max of 20 million.

Then after they patched that there is a red bull event where you can literally cut half the course on Silverstone and with the login bonus at max get 250k per race win and you could do the event as many times as you want.

I never resorted to the rubber band trick because those others worked so well. And then after I had all of the interesting cars in the game I got bored.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

In gt6 there was a money exploit where you could get the GT vision car, downgrade the game, and sell it for 2 million. Then update, buy it again (a few of them) and then downgrade and sell them for 2 million up to a max of 20 million.

Then after they patched that there is a red bull event where you can literally cut half the course on Silverstone and with the login bonus at max get 250k per race win and you could do the event as many times as you want.

I never resorted to the rubber band trick because those others worked so well. And then after I had all of the interesting cars in the game I got bored.
I admit (and have previously admitted) that I used the early FM6 car-buying exploit to fill out my garage like CRAZY (as in, say every Ferrari) so that's probably why I have such a fun garage and still over $50M Forzubucks in my bank. Yet I don't feel bad because I like to accomplish things, even hard things, but if there's a shortcut to making the game bigger or more fun I'll use it. I did it in GT5, hell, I did it in The Bard's Tale on C=64. I feel that you can play a game however you like as long as you're not hurting other players (and this only really became an issue when broadband and online gaming became a thing and then griefing became a thing.)

I still think I ought to get GT6 at some point. I was just so disappointed by GT5 (I did the "make a new account and gift stuff exploit a ton, as hard as it became to come up with new names and e-mails, I mean at one point I was doing it just for PAINT), although I will be fair in that GT5 did get better over time. You guys have told my GT6 is pretty good. My PS3 still works, I should grab it.

VV Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I'm having so much fun with FM6 it's not a priority. VV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 5, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's better than gt5, but it's not pretty good, especially compared to FM6. At this point it's not worth the time spent installing it when you already have FM6 which is a much better game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Every Forza save 5 is better than GT6. It's a shame since the first four Gran Turismos were excellent, but that series went off the rails in a huge way with 5, and while 6 was a step up from 5, it was not at all a return to form.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cubey posted:

Every Forza save 5 is better than GT6. It's a shame since the first four Gran Turismos were excellent, but that series went off the rails in a huge way with 5, and while 6 was a step up from 5, it was not at all a return to form.
Cubey I will grant you this. There is much missing still from the halcyon days of FM4. FM came along and gave us racing without the weirdo GT affectations like carwashes, oil changes, paint chips, etc. Yes, we were all disappointed by FM5 but it still had its merits. FM6 is a huge step in the right direction. I hope for more with FM7.
I just wish I could comment on the comparison to GT6 (as GutBomb can) but I can't so I won't try. I'll listen to people who have played both to make any comparisons.

I think we all want many of the same things: high-res/60fps, tons of beautiful and accurate cars, great physics, fantastic circuits to race (even if it means dropping the fantasy tracks, because I find tracks like Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Brands Hatch and now especially so many variants of VIR to be compelling as all hell, among others - but gently caress CoTA) but we do miss car clubs, the storefront, gifting things to friends, the auction house, etc.) I can see some of those coming back. I wonder what the actual life-cycle of the One is going to be? I don't think anyone here trusts Microsoft and it seems like they're the driving force behind so much of what we hate.

The thought of a Maple Valley with the attention to lighting and atmosphere that the Nordschleife was granted would be an amazing thing.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Sanity check:

A Forza Motorsport 6 "Club."

Deviations: NO damage. Collisions off. Some high-performance parts allowed (e.g. racing tires, racing aero, etc). No points or scoring, just hotlapping with friends. Races could be three 10-minute races or two 15-minute races, ranging from the lowest to the highest classes of cars. If I were to run this I would need a racing enthusiast to help me make awesome specs.

If some guys show up and blow us away, that's ok! We're not measuring dicks and we're not hurting one another on purpose, although some drivers are just amazing.

With collisions and damage off, it's the best of the ghost leagues with the best drivers you know.

I call it "No Pressure." If "driver" or any large number of really fast drivers win every week, then we applaud and give credit where it's due, rather than try to turn a competition into Ayn Rand's Anthem where one has to be weighed down and given less HP so the rest of us (including myself) can feel better about our lap times.

This is a serious proposal.

The hard part for me will not be losing, it never has been for me. What sucked was being hit out of a competitive race. It will be fitting into the week so interested folks can participate.

I expect my work schedule to be Tuesday-Saturday. That means we could do this on Sundays and Mondays. This is subject to change.

I dunno about the days, but I do know we can be less hardcore and still have some fun (if you don't mind coming in late on the leaderboard.)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

e: From what I understand, this is basically a free to play game, a proof of concept basically, to gauge interest. They probably cut the dev. budget where they could.

Yep I get that. I think though the wheel thing is a step too far. Because the kind of people you're trying to guage the interest of (Pc Sim racers who don't own a console) are pretty much a Venn circle with those who'll demand the wheel.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sanity check:

Deviations: NO damage. Collisions off. Some high-performance parts allowed (e.g. racing tires, racing aero, etc). No points or scoring, just hotlapping with friends. Races could be three 10-minute races or two 15-minute races, ranging from the lowest to the highest classes of cars. If I were to run this I would need a racing enthusiast to help me make awesome specs.

If some guys show up and blow us away, that's ok! We're not measuring dicks and we're not hurting one another on purpose, although some drivers are just amazing.

With collisions and damage off, it's the best of the ghost leagues with the best drivers you know.

I call it "No Pressure." If "driver" or any large number of really fast drivers win every week, then we applaud and give credit where it's due, rather than try to turn a competition into Ayn Rand's Anthem where one has to be weighed down and given less HP so the rest of us (including myself) can feel better about our lap times.

The hard part for me will not be losing, it never has been for me. What sucked was being hit out of a competitive race. It will be fitting into the week so interested folks can participate.

I expect my work schedule to be Tuesday-Saturday. That means we could do this on Sundays and Mondays. This is subject to change.

I dunno about the days, but I do know we can be less hardcore and still have some fun (if you don't mind coming in late on the leaderboard.)

I don't know about anyone else, but I LIKE IT when I spend time testing and tuning cars, then get both of my races ended on lap 1 because some chucklefuck being forced to race with assists and line off can't handle it and crashes into people causing a huge mess. It's REALISTIC and FUN!

yeah, id be down for this

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'm in with collisions and out without them.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
How about collisions default (when someone goes off they ghost), damage cosmetic? It's just not satisfying racing close with someone if you can just drive through them.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Collisions off is boring and bad. The thrill of battling hard with someone and winning - or taking yourself out - is probably the most fun thing in Forza. If we raced with collisions off, we might as well just be hotlapping on the leaderboards.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Anyone free tomorrow afternoon and want to run some races on VIR?

Was thinking some multi class races.

VIR Grand East / West - Mixed R & S. If you run R on West then you have to run S on East and vice versa.

VIR North and South - Mixed A & B.

VIR Full - X & P

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I just want a single place to see the downloads / likes / uses for all my tunes. Why is that so hard?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

How about collisions default (when someone goes off they ghost), damage cosmetic? It's just not satisfying racing close with someone if you can just drive through them.
Raise your hand if you think this is a fair compromise. I do. *raises hand*

Also: race length is totally negotiable. I just threw those numbers out there and didn't think about it.

How funny is this?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I'm in with collisions and out without them.
Right, because without collisions you can't get to the front of the field. You may certainly choose to be OUT. Thanks.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 6, 2016

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I've changed my mind. I am starting a Goon Ghost Club.

If you need the danger of another driver possibly taking you out of position by hitting you in any way, then you have tons of other options!

It's no collisions, no damage, yet still with some restrictions where it comes to braking lines and certain assists (because they suck and you don't learn to drive with them on) but you will learn the tracks and you'll never worry if Driver X is going to cut you off, let you by, or wreck you on purpose.

It's voluntary! If you don't want to participate, then just don't!

It's a video racing game. We'll figure out when to host it. Come if you wanna hotlap with friendly goons, otherwise do something else. Win/win.

Bonus: No MattD1zzl3.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 6, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Well, good luck with that.

As for things that'd actually be pretty fun, what ever happened to the potential weekend endurance races that were being talked about? It seemed that there were several people interested and that we'd reconvene after the Super Bowl to get it all started, but it seems like everyone just forgot or got distracted. We should go ahead with that; hour-long races with varying pit strategies and whatnot are awesome.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 6, 2016

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I don't like you're trying something different than all the same exact modes we do over and over so pretend I'm being a condescending rear end in a top hat here.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Cubey posted:

Well, good luck with that.

As for things that'd actually be pretty fun, what ever happened to the potential weekend endurance races that were being talked about? It seemed that there were several people interested and that we'd reconvene after the Super Bowl to get it all started, but it seems like everyone just forgot or got distracted. We should go ahead with that; hour-long races with varying pit strategies and whatnot are awesome.

I made a race around the superbowl that wasn't really well attended and lost intrest. I could start it up again if enough people would come.

Saturday sometime would be good, collisions of course. And with easy build instructions like "a class" or "s class"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sanity check:

Count me in. Hopefully later in the evenings EST!

GT: homercles82

• Locked thread