Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Hobolicious posted:

Joined SA after it was too late. Mostly lurk.

I'm sorry we failed you. The message didn't spread fast enough.

Friends Don't Let Friends Go Nuke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Laranzu posted:

I'm sorry we failed you. The message didn't spread fast enough.

Friends Don't Let Friends Go Nuke.

When I was a senior in high school, one of my friends who graduated a year earlier than I came back from his first year in the Navy. He was a Nuke. He said don't do it, cause all he did was sit in a fluorescent-lit room watching gauges NEVER move and practicing for when any of the gauges ever did move. And that's all he had to look forward to for the next seven years. Fast forward a bit, and when I was at the recruiter, they wanted me to go nuke and I repeated the story. The recruiter basically said "... yeah, that's pretty much true. You still want Nuke?"

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
I can honestly say that this is a true story. This is the life I lead. Also, reactor hasn't had a day off in about a month, 12 on 12 off. The rest of the ship is on 8 section duty. Don't go nuke.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It was cool when my boat anchored off Maui and the nukes had 4 days of port/stbd and the front end of the boat had regular 4 section in port watch cycle so we could gently caress around on the island.

:coal:

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Welp, got orders for Lemoore later this year. Least it's not East Coast.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Hope you like the smell of cowshit.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

CMD598 posted:

Welp, got orders for Lemoore later this year. Least it's not East Coast.

Lemoore is deceptive cause it's "california," but it's actually poo poo.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Just leave Lemoore every weekend to explore the not-lovely California. 3 hours to SF, 2 hours to Yosemite.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I was there already for c school so I know.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Lemoore main gate posted:

It has been [3] days since the last ARI

Lemoore.txt

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
My favorite thing about bases like Lemoore is the like-clockwork response people have that it's not too terrible because it's less than 3 hours to *a fun place.* If the best thing you can say about a place is that you can leave that place and go somewhere else, congratulations, you are in a shithole.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Yeah, but at least it's not like the Army. They get stationed in places like Kentucky and Alabama and poo poo.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

TheQuietWilds posted:

My favorite thing about bases like Lemoore is the like-clockwork response people have that it's not too terrible because it's less than 3 hours to *a fun place.* If the best thing you can say about a place is that you can leave that place and go somewhere else, congratulations, you are in a shithole.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

TheQuietWilds posted:

Quite literally. There's a fog of poo poo that rolls through seasonally. The sushi at the commissary is surprisingly good and fresh.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
They forgot to order my exam last month, then again this month for the make-up exams. HELL YA!

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

squarerandom posted:

They forgot to order my exam last month, then again this month for the make-up exams. HELL YA!

Nice. Can't you just share a copy of the exam during or once they finish the test?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I really enjoy when you gear up for a "high speed, challenging course" then spend a bunch of time bored because it runs so drat slow.

At least its nice out today.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Null Integer posted:

Nice. Can't you just share a copy of the exam during or once they finish the test?

I Could, but they straight up didn't order any of the exams, because I was the only one taking it this cycle at my base.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

squarerandom posted:

I Could, but they straight up didn't order any of the exams, because I was the only one taking it this cycle at my base.

Sounds like an awesome collateral duty to me! I didn't even have to even order any exams this cycle!

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Null Integer posted:

Sounds like an awesome collateral duty to me! I didn't even have to even order any exams this cycle!

Nah, best collateral duty is Gage Cal PO, in a workcenter with one gage, that expires every three years. Good thing it was last calibrated 6 months ago.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
The best collateral is whichever one gives you the most locker space to stash your cigarettes and Starbucks doubleshots. RPPO is definitely in the running.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

A few days ago I saw this ship anchored in Venice and I was wondering if it is one of these new helicarriers. The one with the F-35. Not the Avenger version.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Michaellaneous posted:

A few days ago I saw this ship anchored in Venice and I was wondering if it is one of these new helicarriers. The one with the F-35. Not the Avenger version.

Looking up the hull number shows it to be the Italian LPD San Marco from the 1980s.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

Looking up the hull number shows it to be the Italian LPD San Marco from the 1980s.

Oh well that's kinda...mediocre.
Thank you.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

1980s? That's cutting edge technology by American Navy standards. Probably got them new fangled digital readouts and such.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!
I feel like poo poo. I missed board by .4 because I'm literally retarded. And now I have to check onboard my new ship next week and I'm sure everyone I meet will ask if I made board. I'm pondering my strategy. 1. Own it, say I'm just going to improve. 2. Make up a story involving projectile vomiting, explosive shits, and an aids attack during the test, 3. Blame it on the election being more interesting than the test. Not being elegible doesn't really bother me as much as the first thing anyone finds out about me is that I rocked a loving 48 on the exam.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

hogmartin posted:

The best collateral is whichever one gives you the most locker space to stash your cigarettes and Starbucks doubleshots. RPPO is definitely in the running.

CVN FC.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

vrath posted:

I feel like poo poo. I missed board by .4 because I'm literally retarded. And now I have to check onboard my new ship next week and I'm sure everyone I meet will ask if I made board. I'm pondering my strategy. 1. Own it, say I'm just going to improve. 2. Make up a story involving projectile vomiting, explosive shits, and an aids attack during the test, 3. Blame it on the election being more interesting than the test. Not being elegible doesn't really bother me as much as the first thing anyone finds out about me is that I rocked a loving 48 on the exam.

lol

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

vrath posted:

Own it so no one else can try to hold it over your head if they find out. Just tell people you will take things more seriously in the future. People might think you are a retard but at least you are an honest retard.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Plenty of empirical evidence has led me to believe that being literally retarded was just another checkbox on the roadmap to chief :confused:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vrath posted:

be glad.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Honestly I have about 0 desire to make chief right now. It was my first exam as a first, and I haven't been LPO at sea. I really do not want to be a chief who has no loving clue what he's doing in charge of a bunch of ET's, and spends all his time faking it. It's more that I'm embarrassed to do poorly on a test especially when I usually test in the 70's. This test just had my loving number.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Come on man, suck it up and be honest with yourself.

You hosed it up for whatever reason. When people ask, don't get long-winded about it, just say, "No, but I will next time" and leave it at that. Might hurt your pride, but don't be a douche making excuses that everyone is going to see right through anyway. At the end of the day, if you're doing your job well and looking ahead to next year, no one will give a drat but think better of you for it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
"I didn't study hard enough but now I know what to do different next time"

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Try not to get so wrapped up in the image/job/Wonderousness of Chiefhood they try to portray.

Its just a job. You're still enlisted. Your coworkers are still idiots. It really is just a lovely job.

I see people literally break down sobbing when board or actual results come out. Don't let it get to that point. That is unhealthy.

Being bummed that you hosed up a test is perfectly fine though. Drink a few and move on.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
tell them you just don't give a gently caress

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

krispykremessuck posted:

tell them you just don't give a gently caress

Can't do that, then I run the risk of getting a poo poo eval based on the fact that I am not going to make board anyways because I don't give a gently caress. Since it's the truth, mostly because I have 12 years left and will get to reitre anyways as a first, its an appealing option tho.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
only 12 years left.....you lifers are an impressive bunch. Meanwhile me and my co workers are all getting ready to go to taps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

vrath posted:

Can't do that, then I run the risk of getting a poo poo eval based on the fact that I am not going to make board anyways because I don't give a gently caress. Since it's the truth, mostly because I have 12 years left and will get to reitre anyways as a first, its an appealing option tho.

Curious: how old are you?

• Locked thread