Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Crash74 posted:

It will go back and forth the entire stroke left / right.

:stonk:

Yeah, I'd say you've broken a tie rod/drag link, or separated the tie rod end.

Can you get a pic of the backside of the wheel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

yeah something is turbo hosed. turn the passenger wheel so you can see all the steering linkages move, you'll probably see something loose or busted going to the drivers side

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Its a 07 f150 so it has a rack and rack and pinion, Both the upper control arm bellows are intact. I guess i'll pop them off and see if the rods are intact. If the control arms are in one piece does that mean the rack and pinion is borked?

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 4, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Crash74 posted:

When I have my old truck up on jacks should i be able to turn the driver side tire left and right by hand? The passenger side tire stays locked.

Front or rear? 4wd?

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Godholio posted:

Front or rear? 4wd?

Rear wheel drive, it's a 4.2l v6.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've never heard of a rack failing that way. If the outer tie rod is firmly attached to the hub, it's probably the inner, which may or may not be easy to replace.

By "full stroke" do you mean all the way lock-to-lock? It should be very easy to see what's broken.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Enourmo posted:

I've never heard of a rack failing that way. If the outer tie rod is firmly attached to the hub, it's probably the inner, which may or may not be easy to replace.

By "full stroke" do you mean all the way lock-to-lock? It should be very easy to see what's broken.

yes lock to lock.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

punk rebel ecks posted:

How is the Nissan Leaf? Reliable? Is finding charging stations a pain in the rear end? The insane miles per "gallon" it gets intrigues me.

Nobody? Is the car that niche?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't think anybody here has one, iirc.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

Don't think anybody here has one, iirc.

We could always return to the home defense Miata concept. Best tires for not overpenetrating, best lights for dazzling intruders, etc

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

EightBit posted:

Automotive electronics are notoriously insecure. There has already been a publicized hack for Jeeps with Bluetooth entertainment options; it's got a recall of some kind going, to be fair, but not all of the affected vehicles have been fixed yet. I wouldn't be surprised if something like that comes up again every year for the next few years until auto makers take some security measures, like not hooking every electronic device up to the same CANBUS. If your car not only has throttle-by-wire, but shifter-by-wire, steering-by-wire, etc., then a compromised stereo can change your gear selection, floor your gas, cause lane departures, etc. Some neat features, like being able to select throttle curves, require some communication there, but it appears that no one has considered how easy it would be to hack bluetooth-enabled stereos.

There's also the recent Nissan Leaf attacks were they authenticated the app that controls your can solely by your car's VIN. That was an attack vector completely outside of the hardware in the car. And totally stupid.

Safety Dance posted:

That said, most of the bluetooth OBDII readers only have the pins required to read the basic data from your OBDII port, and don't present an attack vector.

Speaking of, is it okay to leave one of those readers hooked up to your car? Like, if you want to log data for a few days, can you leave it plugged I am without killing your battery or do you need to disconnect the reader every time?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Nobody? Is the car that niche?

There's a dedicated EV thread elsewhere in the forum-I think a few posters in it own Leafs (Leaves?).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Uthor posted:

There's also the recent Nissan Leaf attacks were they authenticated the app that controls your can solely by your car's VIN. That was an attack vector completely outside of the hardware in the car. And totally stupid.

:lol: That's impressively dumb on the part of the software engineer.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Uthor posted:

Speaking of, is it okay to leave one of those readers hooked up to your car? Like, if you want to log data for a few days, can you leave it plugged I am without killing your battery or do you need to disconnect the reader every time?

I've done it with no problem. If your battery is suuuuper questionable, it might be problematic.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Spazz posted:

I got the recall notice from Ford (16S03) about the airbag and metal fragments for my 06 Ranger. However, my truck had both airbags deploy after a front end collision while going under 15mph in 2010. Think this was the original cause?

Anyway, I'm just figuring out if I need to get this serviced or not since they've already been replaced.

The recall is because when the bags go off, they explode in ways that they aren't supposed to. There's nothing wrong with the systems that control when they go off, so the fact that you were going under 15mph doesn't mean anything was specifically defective back in 2010 when you had your crash.

So, reiterating Safety Dance, absolutely go get that poo poo checked out and probably replaced. You're in a slightly better position in that your airbags are only six years old now instead of ten (the defect is worsened by age) but "a chance of metal shrapnel instead of a soft cushion" is not something to gently caress with.

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

We've got a 2005 Xterra (4wd) that has developed a weird steering thing:
  • Felt when going straight or turning right, but not at all turning left
  • Felt as a vibration through the steering wheel at normal speeds
  • At slow (crawling) speeds it's distinctly notchy - like grab, release, grab, release, in relation to torque applied to the steering wheel
  • This notchiness correlates to tire rotation/forward movement
  • So far, this is all is 2wd
Wife's car - I've just done the one test drive and put it up on ramps to get a quick look and didn't see anything obvious, except a really shot U-joint on the front driveshaft (before the diff). Replacing that tomorrow, and will have more time (and will jack it up instead of the ramps) to look at other stuff if any one has pointers where to look or tests to do.

King of Gulps fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 4, 2016

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Uthor posted:

Mine's been plugged in all winter. Didn't really give it a second thought after having one of those stupid Progressive dongles plugged in for six months.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

cephalopods posted:

Mine's been plugged in all winter. Didn't really give it a second thought after having one of those stupid Progressive dongles plugged in for six months.

I seem to recall that progressive was also pretty bad (and called out)about securing their devices too. To be fair, they were using them before the IoT was a phrase people used much.

edit:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/01/15/researcher-says-progressive-insurance-dongle-totally-insecure/#3a68950b7c9f

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

It was a wholly regrettable decision anyway. Six months of being beeped at every time I had the audacity to do things like:
  • make an unprotected left
  • make a protected left, in a 45mph zone
  • stop at red lights

It just detected any 10mph speed drop within its polling interval, which was like 3-5 seconds. Six months of getting into a shouting match with my car every third time I brake and all it saved me was ~$20 per six-month contract.
And the hacking thing yeah, but there are easier ways to track and/or surreptitiously kill me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cephalopods posted:

gently caress those dongles. State farm lets you self report.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The recall is because when the bags go off, they explode in ways that they aren't supposed to. There's nothing wrong with the systems that control when they go off, so the fact that you were going under 15mph doesn't mean anything was specifically defective back in 2010 when you had your crash.

So, reiterating Safety Dance, absolutely go get that poo poo checked out and probably replaced. You're in a slightly better position in that your airbags are only six years old now instead of ten (the defect is worsened by age) but "a chance of sometimes fatal metal shrapnel instead of a soft cushion" is not something to gently caress with.

It's comical how dangerous those airbags are when they go off wrong. Get it replaced ASAP. See if they will do both, even if only one is recalled. Remember, you don't feel safe.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have tried 2x to get my Subaru airbags fixed. I keep being told to come back in a few weeks. Kinda frustrating, and I really susepect the driver side too even though it's not recalled.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

King of Gulps posted:

We've got a 2005 Xterra (4wd) that has developed a weird steering thing:
  • Felt when going straight or turning right, but not at all turning left
  • Felt as a vibration through the steering wheel at normal speeds
  • At slow (crawling) speeds it's distinctly notchy - like grab, release, grab, release, in relation to torque applied to the steering wheel
  • This notchiness correlates to tire rotation/forward movement
  • So far, this is all is 2wd
Wife's car - I've just done the one test drive and put it up on ramps to get a quick look and didn't see anything obvious, except a really shot U-joint on the front driveshaft (before the diff). Replacing that tomorrow, and will have more time (and will jack it up instead of the ramps) to look at other stuff if any one has pointers where to look or tests to do.
Almost certainly a left front wheel bearing. Grab the top and bottom of the wheel while it's lifted and try to twist the wheel up and down. It should be solid, if it's sloppy try and look from the inside; if the wheel moves relative to the hub it's the bearing, if the whole hub assembly moves is ball joints/strut mount.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

cephalopods posted:

It was a wholly regrettable decision anyway. Six months of being beeped at every time I had the audacity to do things like:
  • make an unprotected left
  • make a protected left, in a 45mph zone
  • stop at red lights

It just detected any 10mph speed drop within its polling interval, which was like 3-5 seconds. Six months of getting into a shouting match with my car every third time I brake and all it saved me was ~$20 per six-month contract.
And the hacking thing yeah, but there are easier ways to track and/or surreptitiously kill me.

How was it beeping at you for a left? There is no tracking for lateral movement or acceleration.

It's 7mph in one second, btw.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

I often brake for corners.
Lefts are a little more urgent because I'm either crossing traffic or trying to catch the scant few seconds of green arrow. Or I'm stopping quick because the arrow went red during my approach. 40 to 0 in the length of a turning lane is plenty to set the thing off.
Being 7mph instead of 10 makes it even touchier than I thought.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
How much of an absolute madman would I be if I got a cheap ~'97 Firebird with a blown engine and put in a SC 3800 in it? I know it's a FWD engine, so I heard it could be weird.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 5, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The 3.8 was used in RWD applications as well (in fact you could get an F-body with them in N/A trim). IIRC the biggest pain is the intake manifold and supercharger mounting.

But why? I know the LSx swap idea has been done to death, but swapping a modern LSx into it would probably be easier.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

some texas redneck posted:

The 3.8 was used in RWD applications as well (in fact you could get an F-body with them in N/A trim). IIRC the biggest pain is the intake manifold and supercharger mounting.

But why? I know the LSx swap idea has been done to death, but swapping a modern LSx into it would probably be easier.

The broken ones I've seen are already V6 models. LS means a new transmission and messing with the suspension. Also 3800 reliability meme (Not sure if it's better than the LS).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

For a half second I thought he meant the Ford SC 3.8 and I was excited.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GM's 3800 in general isn't anything to laugh at either. They just drink abuse and laugh at you. That said...

Eskaton posted:

The broken ones I've seen are already V6 models. LS means a new transmission and messing with the suspension. Also 3800 reliability meme (Not sure if it's better than the LS).

The LSx's reliability and durability is right up there with the 3800. Maybe even better.

A cursory Google search shows that there's plenty of people who have dropped a supercharged 3800 into an F-body, and possibly even kits to do so (at one time anyway).

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

Enourmo posted:

Almost certainly a left front wheel bearing. Grab the top and bottom of the wheel while it's lifted and try to twist the wheel up and down. It should be solid, if it's sloppy try and look from the inside; if the wheel moves relative to the hub it's the bearing, if the whole hub assembly moves is ball joints/strut mount.

Thanks, will check out!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I'm really leaning toward checking this car out during my work weekend.

Does this seem reasonable? It is priced less than most other Prius's.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 5, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm really leaning toward checking this car out during my work weekend.

Does this seem reasonable? It is priced less than most other Prius's.

Carfax looks good. Main thing with any used vehicle is getting a PPI (pre purchase inspection). I am not sure if a toyota dealer could somehow give you a health report on the batteries, but that would be something I would hope I would get on a PPI on a hybrid car. Basically the two big expenses possible on a prius is that brake booster and the batteries, so I would specifically request info on those.

The other thing to check with any used cars are tires. Even at "reputable" dealerships, you often see mismatched poo poo-tier tires on used cars. If the tires don't have good tread depth or are not all the same brand, use that as an opportunity to haggle the price down, as its going to be a $4-600 cost to you almost immediately after purchase.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

some texas redneck posted:

GM's 3800 in general isn't anything to laugh at either. They just drink abuse and laugh at you. That said...

The LSx's reliability and durability is right up there with the 3800. Maybe even better.

A cursory Google search shows that there's plenty of people who have dropped a supercharged 3800 into an F-body, and possibly even kits to do so (at one time anyway).

The 3800 wouldn't need a kit, or anything to physically fit in the car though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

Carfax looks good. Main thing with any used vehicle is getting a PPI (pre purchase inspection). I am not sure if a toyota dealer could somehow give you a health report on the batteries, but that would be something I would hope I would get on a PPI on a hybrid car. Basically the two big expenses possible on a prius is that brake booster and the batteries, so I would specifically request info on those.

The other thing to check with any used cars are tires. Even at "reputable" dealerships, you often see mismatched poo poo-tier tires on used cars. If the tires don't have good tread depth or are not all the same brand, use that as an opportunity to haggle the price down, as its going to be a $4-600 cost to you almost immediately after purchase.
Thanks.

Sorry I listed the wrong car though.

It was meant to link to this one.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Generally speaking, what's the cheapest generally available source of tire chains? I know they're for sale at big box stores, but those guys want $150. I'd rather not pay more than $20. Do scrapyards usually have chain?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've never seen tire chains in a junkyard OR for anything close to $20. They're like $60 at Walmart, but I don't know anything about their quality.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

How is the Toyota Yaris? I keep seeing it posted online and it looks cheap and nice.

Sorry for posting all these "how is this car" questions, but I'm really picky and curious.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

punk rebel ecks posted:

How is the Toyota Yaris? I keep seeing it posted online and it looks cheap and nice.

Sorry for posting all these "how is this car" questions, but I'm really picky and curious.

Toyota reliability is the only thing it has going for it. It would be a nice city car that only gets driven occasionally, otherwise it is completely mediocre, outdated, and outclassed by pretty much anything other than a Mitsubishi Mirage or Chevrolet Spark.

edit: Smart Car. I would buy a Yaris before I would buy a Smart car.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 6, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

cephalopods posted:

I often brake for corners.
Lefts are a little more urgent because I'm either crossing traffic or trying to catch the scant few seconds of green arrow. Or I'm stopping quick because the arrow went red during my approach. 40 to 0 in the length of a turning lane is plenty to set the thing off.
Being 7mph instead of 10 makes it even touchier than I thought.

7 in a second isn't touchier than 10 in 3-5 seconds, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

punk rebel ecks posted:

There's a thread for you.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538&pagenumber=1&perpage=40