Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's probably from watching the forums coding saga that i slowly gained awareness of PHP's existence, and really the fact that it would drive someone to Perl in frustration is all you need to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

it's probably from watching the forums coding saga that i slowly gained awareness of PHP's existence, and really the fact that it would drive someone to Perl in frustration is all you need to know

It's a good thing we have PHP7 and PERl6 now. Make the forums great again.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Did he basically leave a bunch of unrolled toilet paper all over the forums when he left

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zzulu posted:

wy is this thread 14 pages

goons love talking about our dead gay forum :love:

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Reading those chatlogs, I get the distinct feeling that all the screaming at and making GBS threads all over Radium has been expertly censored. "Richard, I'm almost done" "NOT GOOD ENOUGH! START AGAIN!"

What are you hiding Richard.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Schurik posted:

drat near a forest of stolen trees.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

spankmeister posted:

drat near a forest of stolen trees.

fuckin grinch

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Radium is the admin who came on here waving some really dumb libertarian beliefs around and banning people who disagreed with him, right? I don't mean they were rude, they just disagreed with him.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I think we're starting to conflate radium's and grover's canons, which is not good

their legends were unique and singular

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I think we're starting to conflate radium's and grover's canons, which is not good

their legends were unique and singular

They took about the same approach in design and engineering though.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

hemophilia posted:

Radium is the admin who came on here waving some really dumb libertarian beliefs around and banning people who disagreed with him, right? I don't mean they were rude, they just disagreed with him.

IIRC someone like a mod or admin used a dummy account to espouse something or another. OR was that Grover?

Anyways, I like this idea of open source forum. I would trust the cat loving janitors in the nerd forum to care for this Gay Deceased Forum.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

What if radiums error messages is cockney rhyme slang?

Someone stole your trees: The server was brought to its knees.

Your pants are on fire: The memcached situation is currently very dire.

You're gay: The forums are not okay.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Bring back Worst Admin Ever

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

ill do it

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

don't you mean WORST AYATOLLAH EVER

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
i liked radiums avatar

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hemophilia posted:

Yes he posted some libertarian poo poo as SA Support Robot. I don't recall any banning though, but maybe. It was some quasi-racist and definitely homophobic kind of poo poo.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3463044&userid=114975

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

CharlesM posted:

Yes he posted some libertarian poo poo as SA Support Robot. I don't recall any banning though, but maybe. It was some quasi-racist and definitely homophobic kind of poo poo.

So "radium" was short for "radium water should be legal to sell"?

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

bring back Mars Fleet Lander

The Revenant
Feb 2, 2016

by Lowtax
why don't you just abandon this site and make somethingawful2.com and make everyone reregister CHA CHING

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CharlesM posted:

Lol if you needed a reason to dislike radium this is it

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

CharlesM posted:

for some reason i want to believe there were probations or bans or punishment of some sort but the fact he used the support bot account for that is pretty loving funny and terrible anyway.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

CharlesM posted:

Of course he's a libertarian piece of poo poo. It explains a lot.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Dead Precedents posted:

Of course he's a libertarian piece of poo poo. It explains a lot.

SA Support Robot posted:

You're trying to put a label on me so you can associate what I say with the flawed opinions of others. Saul Alinsky?

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Schurik posted:

Reading those chatlogs, I get the distinct feeling that all the screaming at and making GBS threads all over Radium has been expertly censored. "Richard, I'm almost done" "NOT GOOD ENOUGH! START AGAIN!"

I think Lowtax was and perhaps still is just bad at being the big boss man due to the meek tenderness of his heart

Also I get the impression that radium's code wasn't terrible and infinitely abstruse for any reason beyond him being bad at his job and nonstop procrastinating so much that he did no actual work on many of his workdays and the poo poo he supposedly spent weeks on was probably pasted together in a few hours.

His stupid baby deflections remind me of me when I was a dumb teen squirming out of getting my homework done on time.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Whatev posted:

I think Lowtax was and perhaps still is just bad at being the big boss man due to the meek tenderness of his heart

Well, that's gotta be true. He puts up with all of our crap...

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Volte posted:

I agree. Some people would need access to the code but in general all we'd really need to release is the database schema, and the project mandate becomes "Make a back-end library to talk to this schema". That part would happen from scratch and we could use unit and integration tests to put it through its paces. The forum itself being changed would come later, once the library is stable enough to support it.
zdr post the schema

i dont get how its so hard, ya got a users table, and a posts table. then, to get fancy, a subforums tables. badabing you're done

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
real men use notepad

lol at trying to do sa in frontpage

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Someone can correct me if my memory is wrong.

There was drama over radium or team barry being called a lovely coder or the forums going down.

To cut down on such drama an account was called maintenance robot or something, which would post the updates about maintence.

But then i remember seeing the maintence robot was banning people which I found strange since i thought the point was to just have an account for maintenance poo poo

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

B1axident posted:

Jesus Lowtax you sound like an awful manager. Let me introduce you to the wonderful world of Agile and Jira. My rate is $150/hours and it'll probably take about 6 months to deliver less than previously, but at least you'll be agilllle.

I'm a veteran of 6 Sigma and ITIL, and I recommend this additional layer of management. Why hire better coders when you can hire MBAs to manage them instead.

This avert was paid for by the committee to employ business graduates.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Philthy posted:

lol at trying to do sa in frontpage

frontpage? what's that?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I'm guessing it's a rats nest or primary keys tables tied to tables tied to tables

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i like schemas

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

sometimes you just have to kick out the jams dude https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XhQRFO4M7A

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

sometimes you just have to kick out the jams dude https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XhQRFO4M7A

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
hey ZDR- quick question - sometimes all of a sudden people will "Double-post" can anything be done? asking for a friend

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

max4me posted:

Someone can correct me if my memory is wrong.

There was drama over radium or team barry being called a lovely coder or the forums going down.

To cut down on such drama an account was called maintenance robot or something, which would post the updates about maintence.

But then i remember seeing the maintence robot was banning people which I found strange since i thought the point was to just have an account for maintenance poo poo

These are the ones done by SA Support Robot (contains a link to NSFW FYAD for one)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?adminid=114975&actfilt=-1&ban_month=&ban_year=

I can't find genericadmin's account so I don't know how to look it up.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

zen death robot posted:

You haven't seen the table schema and that's what keeps you innocent and pure

I want to say that "it can't possibly be that bad" but then it's radium.

What I'm impressed with is that the forums actually work.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
"Something Awful LLC, your career with us will too become internet drama bullshit"

zen death robot posted:

You haven't seen the table schema and that's what keeps you innocent and pure

Database Schema creep happens in bigger projects as well.
Post it in Caverns of Cobol if you want to shield GBS' purity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

how much time was between the first chatlog posted and his firing, OP

• Locked thread