Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Tell me more! I haven't read the new book.

Dude, the new Ironfire rite is awesome. It is characterful as gently caress while handing out solid bonuses for a fair amount of risk. It doesn't alter the FOC at all, but it doesn't need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Iron warriors are probably still better. Dw

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I think he means story wise because other than the RoW they havnt changed a drat thing.

(I want to try it though)

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Does the Day of Revelation RoW +1 I bonus only apply to things with LA (BA) or does it work on dreads?

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Just got back from the Aus Brisbane 30k Event Brothers Revenge. Was a casual doubles event 850pts per army, nice quick easy format! Everyone had an insanely good time and ALL the armies were painted which was such a fantastic effort and looked amazing. I just got my Dark Angels painted in time but book 6 wasn't in effect so just ran as generic. I will put up another post with pics of all the amazing tables with FAT mats and full of terrain soon.

In the meantime this was what my game partner and I ran with

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Cassian Dracos reborn leads some Salamanders around based on weird visions he has, eventually they arrive at Mezoa and get attacked by an invading force of Iron Warriors and Alpha Legion.

The AL commander is an rear end in a top hat letting the IW suffer as meat shields to avoid AL casualties, so Cassian takes this opportunity to talk to the IW commander.

The IW rejoin the loyalist side and they team up with the Salamanders to gently caress up the alphas real good, and henceforth they are brosefs 4 lyfe.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's awesome as hell, actually. IWs being meat shields for Alphas and then for Salamanders. Meat is love, meat is lyfe.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
It's a bunch of that, and a bunch of bearing the brunt of the shadow wars since they have SO MANY GARRISONS, and have "become experts at countering such attacks"
So they get a -1 on the shadow wars initiative roll off.

It's the best page really, gives a short rundown of what each legion is doing.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 6, 2016

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Do that for Sons of Horus please and thank you.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

It's a good thing I'm a terrible employee that keeps book 6 in his car.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
New FW bulletin, more thousand sons coming soon as the artist, Israel, mentioned (April).

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Hencoe posted:

It's a good thing I'm a terrible employee that keeps book 6 in his car.

Neeeeat. What's it say about Death Guard?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Might as well post both pages

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Hencoe posted:

Might as well post both pages

Thanks! FW should include timeline updates like these in all the books, a la Battletech Era Updates/Field Manuals.

Though I guess most of the red books so far have focused on isolated conflicts so it might not have made sense to include them in all.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mango Polo posted:

New FW bulletin, more thousand sons coming soon as the artist, Israel, mentioned (April).

(poo poo looks dope)

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

For smaller FW pieces like shoulder pads do you guys soak them in soapy water before or after you remove them from the resin block they come attached to?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DO IT TO IT posted:

For smaller FW pieces like shoulder pads do you guys soak them in soapy water before or after you remove them from the resin block they come attached to?

I've found them to be a lot easier to clean while still attached to the resin block they're cast with. I've tried both methods and that just seems like less wasted effort.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

I've found them to be a lot easier to clean while still attached to the resin block they're cast with. I've tried both methods and that just seems like less wasted effort.

Cool, that's what I was thinking while looking at these things. Seemed like it'd be annoying to scrub them while having to hold onto them. I'll leave them on the block for now.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Hey guys, I currently play Guard in 40K, if I was to look at Solar Auxiliaries, in terms of foot troops, would I be looking at a horde style army again, or are the 'typical' Solar Auxiliary armies smaller like other 30K forces?

Cheers!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
SA are a mechanized human army with lots of armor. Your basic squad is x20 dues and assault squads are x10 dudes. You'll probably have 40-50 troops in your entire army. Militia are more the imperial horde where your basic levy squad of 60 bodies costs less than 100 points.

Most 30k forces are pretty large actually. Blobs of 15-20 are pretty common and you can expect to see somebody with a pair of those in more casual settings.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
While the levy squads can be 20 to 50 dudes, the actual WS3/BS3 militia guys are 20 guys to a squad. Militia units also come with really lovely guns that can be upgraded to a number of different options including the normal lasgun or even S4 laslocks. With the various provenances (more or less doctrines) you can customize your militia army to be the remnants of an advanced human civilization with genetic enhancements and better armor and weapons or make them a demon-worshipping barbarian/squat/scrunt/horrible mutant horde. It's a cool list, but lacks for some basic things like reasonable dedicated transports.

Is the regular, ol' Imperial Army ever going to get rules or are you intended to represent them with the militia list? I realize they'd likely end up as slightly different Imperial Guard, but I'm just curious.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Safety Factor posted:

Is the regular, ol' Imperial Army ever going to get rules or are you intended to represent them with the militia list? I realize they'd likely end up as slightly different Imperial Guard, but I'm just curious.

There is no singular Imperial Army force in 30k. The Imperial Army as an organization is equal parts Solar Auxilia, Imperial militia, and the like. In the books, Imperial Army forces are incredibly diverse and that's not even talking about the serf-armies from Astartes-controlled worlds that take the field alongside their rulers, like the Spireguard from Prospero and the armies of Ultramar.

The formation of a singular Imperial Guard with a standardized roster and capabilities was a response to the Heresy and the shattering of the Imperial Army.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 9, 2016

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Neat! Thanks, that's helpful.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've heard that there will be an Imperial Army list in the future. SA are basically elite human explorers. Militia are high customizable planet or system forces with lots of bodies and less armor. Scuttlebutt puts the IA somewhere between the two.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'll probably not be starting my 30K army until the new year, at least until I wrap this army up - and I like the idea of slightly more elite force, with 90+ infantry in this army and 14 odd Chimeras, I could do with something a bit smaller.

Not sure yet, but I appreciate the heads up.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Safety Factor posted:

:negative:

Why... Why haven't I been doing it like this? I have a bowl filled with MkIII bodies, command upgrades, and special weapons I just chopped off the sprues today.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Got suckered back into Warhams by the promise of 30K and low point values. Signed up for a 750pt Zone Mortalis Loyalists vs Traitors event but don't have a list picked out, so for now I'm just building up a troop base. Painting this weekend.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
oh Christ

Only registered members can see post attachments!

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Ville Valo posted:

Got suckered back into Warhams by the promise of 30K and low point values. Signed up for a 750pt Zone Mortalis Loyalists vs Traitors event but don't have a list picked out, so for now I'm just building up a troop base. Painting this weekend.

Looks good but before starting I strongly advise you to pull the backpacks off and paint them separately.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Yeast posted:

oh Christ

"Make The Imperium Great Again"

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

krursk posted:

Looks good but before starting I strongly advise you to pull the backpacks off and paint them separately.

Huh, I was going to go pretty simple on the backpacks; I've been watching some of Apathetic Fish's youtube series on painting Betrayal at Calth models and he's always got the packs on. If they come off easily I'll try it; I'm a little wary of trying to pry anything off resin.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Would it be kosher if I were to use the 40k sanguinary guard models as assault sergeants in my BA army?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Would it be kosher if I were to use the 40k sanguinary guard models as assault sergeants in my BA army?

Absolutely. Even if you discount the whole "it's the heresy, everything goes", Blood Angels still had the sanguinary guards back then.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Ville Valo posted:

Huh, I was going to go pretty simple on the backpacks; I've been watching some of Apathetic Fish's youtube series on painting Betrayal at Calth models and he's always got the packs on. If they come off easily I'll try it; I'm a little wary of trying to pry anything off resin.

I haven't had any problems painting with backpacks attached, even though I sometimes paint heads or shoulder pads or guns separately. I think you'll be fine.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Sulecrist posted:

I haven't had any problems painting with backpacks attached, even though I sometimes paint heads or shoulder pads or guns separately. I think you'll be fine.

I'm definitely doing guns separately (and haven't decided on special weapons yet - probably plasma?)

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah I've never really bothered painting the backpacks before assembly either, save on a few unique models like Helbrecht or what have you. Even on models with cloaks under the packs, you can usually get up under there with no problem. Weapons held close to the chest, or in areas difficult to reach all sides of, sure. Chainswords or pistols pointing away from the model? Glue that sucker right on.

Also, before you start in on special weapons, make sure you're certain of the rules for your squads' loadouts. In standard 30k, regular tactical squads don't get special weapons at all.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Adding on to earlier, how long do you guys usually let parts soak before scrubbing? I've been recommended everything from a couple minutes to all night. All I"m messing with right now is a couple Contemptor arms and some guns. Then later in the week I'll do my 30 shoulder pads.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yeast posted:

oh Christ

Why isn't that Bernie on the floor there?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Because Ollanius Pius isnt in the picture, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

DO IT TO IT posted:

Adding on to earlier, how long do you guys usually let parts soak before scrubbing? I've been recommended everything from a couple minutes to all night. All I"m messing with right now is a couple Contemptor arms and some guns. Then later in the week I'll do my 30 shoulder pads.

I typically soak FW resin in warm soapy water for an hour, then scrub under running warm water with a toothbrush until I've made sure to hit all the surfaces, then dry. I just recently got a heat gun so I can alter my warped parts after that if need be.