Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TOOT BOOT posted:

Alternatively take your lumps like a dwarf instead of savescumming like an elf.
Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
I would like to play Project Zomboid (or something like it) on my ipad.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I'm scraping Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management so that I can procedurally generate recipes and things for the cooking 7drl which is actually going to happen.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I'm scraping Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management so that I can procedurally generate recipes and things for the cooking 7drl which is actually going to happen.

like the flavour text just writes itself:

quote:

TO MAKE BEEF TEA.
1858. INGREDIENTS – 1 lb. of lean gravy-beef, 1 quart of water, 1 saltspoonful of salt.

Mode.—Have the meat cut without fat and bone, and choose a nice fleshy piece. Cut it into small pieces about the size of dice, and put it into a clean saucepan. Add the water cold to it; put it on the fire, and bring it to the boiling-point; then skim well. Put in the salt when the water boils, and simmer the beef tea gently from 1/2 to 3/4 hour, removing any more scum should it appear on the surface. Strain the tea through a hair sieve, and set it by in a cool place. When wanted for use, remove every particle of fat from the top; warm up as much as may be required, adding, if necessary, a little more salt. This preparation is simple beef tea, and is to be administered to those invalids to whom flavourings and seasonings are not allowed. When the patient is very low, use double the quantity of meat to the same proportion of water. Should the invalid be able to take the tea prepared in a more palatable manner, it is easy to make it so by following the directions in the next recipe, which is an admirable one for making savoury beef tea. Beef tea is always better when made the day before it is wanted, and then warmed up. It is a good plan to put the tea into a small cup or basin, and to place this basin in a saucepan of boiling water. When the tea is warm, it is ready to serve.

Time.—1/4 to 3/4 hour. Average cost, 6d. per pint.

Sufficient.—Allow 1 lb. of meat for a pint of good beef tea.

MISS NIGHTINGALE says, one of the most common errors among nurses, with respect to sick diet, is the belief that beef tea is the most nutritive of all article. She says, “Just try and boil down a lb. of beef into beef tea; evaporate your beef tea, and see what is left of your beef: you will find that there is barely a teaspoonful of solid nourishment to 1/4 pint of water in beef tea. Nevertheless, there is a certain reparative quality in it,—we do not know what,—as there is in tea; but it maybe safely given in almost any inflammatory disease, and is as little to be depended upon with the healthy or convalescent, where much nourishment is required.”

quote:

TO MAKE TOAST-AND-WATER.
1876. INGREDIENTS – A slice of bread, 1 quart of boiling water.

Mode.—Cut a slice from a stale loaf (a piece of hard crust is better than anything else for the purpose), toast it of a nice brown on every side, but do not allow it to burn or blacken. Put it into a jug, pour the boiling water over it, cover it closely, and let it remain until cold. When strained, it will be ready for use. Toast-and-water should always be made a short time before it is required, to enable it to get cold: if drunk in a tepid or lukewarm state, it is an exceedingly disagreeable beverage. If, as is sometimes the case, this drink is wanted in a hurry, put the toasted bread into a jug, and only just cover it with the boiling water; when this is cool, cold water may be added in the proportion required,—the toast-and-water strained; it will then be ready for use, and is more expeditiously prepared than by the above method.

quote:

TOAST SANDWICHES.
1877. INGREDIENTS – Thin cold toast, thin slices of bread-and-butter, pepper and salt to taste.

Mode.—Place a very thin piece of cold toast between 2 slices of thin bread-and-butter in the form of a sandwich, adding a seasoning of pepper and salt. This sandwich may be varied by adding a little pulled meat, or very fine slices of cold meat, to the toast, and in any of these forms will be found very tempting to the appetite of an invalid.

1878. Besides the recipes contained in this chapter, there are, in the previous chapters on cookery, many others suitable for invalids, which it would be useless to repeat here. Recipes for fish simply dressed, light soups, plain roast meat, well-dressed vegetables, poultry, simple puddings, jelly, stewed fruits, &c. &c., all of which dishes may be partaken of by invalids and convalescents, will be found in preceding chapters.

(these are all from the invalid cookery section)

End boss:

quote:

BILL OF FARE FOR A PICNIC FOR 40 PERSONS.

2149. A joint of cold roast beef, a joint of cold boiled beef, 2 ribs of lamb, 2 shoulders of lamb, 4 roast fowls, 2 roast ducks, 1 ham, 1 tongue, 2 veal-and-ham pies, 2 pigeon pies, 6 medium-sized lobsters, 1 piece of collared calf’s head, 18 lettuces, 6 baskets of salad, 6 cucumbers.

2150. Stewed fruit well sweetened, and put into glass bottles well corked; 3 or 4 dozen plain pastry biscuits to eat with the stewed fruit, 2 dozen fruit turnovers, 4 dozen cheesecakes, 2 cold cabinet puddings in moulds, 2 blancmanges in moulds, a few jam puffs, 1 large cold plum-pudding (this must be good), a few baskets of fresh fruit, 3 dozen plain biscuits, a piece of cheese, 6 lbs. of butter (this, of course, includes the butter for tea), 4 quartern loaves of household broad, 3 dozen rolls, 6 loaves of tin bread (for tea), 2 plain plum cakes, 2 pound cakes, 2 sponge cakes, a tin of mixed biscuits, 1/2 lb, of tea. Coffee is not suitable for a picnic, being difficult to make.

Things not to be forgotten at a Picnic.

2151. A stick of horseradish, a bottle of mint-sauce well corked, a bottle of salad dressing, a bottle of vinegar, made mustard, pepper, salt, good oil, and pounded sugar. If it can be managed, take a little ice. It is scarcely necessary to say that plates, tumblers, wine-glasses, knives, forks, and spoons, must not be forgotten; as also teacups and saucers, 3 or 4 teapots, some lump sugar, and milk, if this last-named article cannot be obtained in the neighbourhood. Take 3 corkscrews.

2152. Beverages.—3 dozen quart bottles of ale, packed in hampers; ginger-beer, soda-water, and lemonade, of each 2 dozen bottles; 6 bottles of sherry, 6 bottles of claret, champagne discrtion, and any other light wine that may be preferred, and 2 bottles of brandy. Water can usually be obtained so it is useless to take it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 3, 2016

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Now feed it into a markov chain generator.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Unormal posted:

Now feed it into a markov chain generator.

Way ahead of you, it's amazing.

quote:

2 dozen fruit, 3 dozen fruit well sweetened, and milk, if this mustard, pepper, salt, good oil, and milk, cakes, a tin of mint-saucers, 1 piece of cheesecakes, 6 medium-sized lobsters, wine-glasses, knives, forkscrews.

Beverages.—3 dozen plain biscuits to take it.
knives, forks, and milk, if this last-named article cannot be obtained in the neighbourhood so it can be managed, and pound cakes, 2 pound cakes, 6 baskets of household bread, 3 or 4 dozen bottles of ale, packed in ham, 1 tongue, 2 veal-and-ham pies, 2 pounded so it is useless to take 3 corkscrews.

Stewed fruit, 3 dozen fruit turnovers, 1 piece of clared cabinet pudding (this last-named article cannot be good), a few baskets of ale, packed in hampers; ginger-beer, soda-water cannot be obtained in the neighbourhood. Take 3 corkscrews.

Beverages.—3 dozen fruit turnovers, 4 roast ducks, 1 ham, 1 tongue, 2 blancmanges in moulds, a few jam puffs, 1 large cold cabinet pudding (this must not suitable forks, 1 ham, 1 tongue, 2 veal-and-ham pies, 2 shoulders of brandy. Water can usually be obtained in the neighbourhood. Take 3 corkscrews.

Beverages.—3 dozen cheese, Take 3 corkscrews.

Beverages.—3 dozen rolls, 6 medium-sized lobsters, 1 piece of cheesecakes, and sauce well sweetened, and sponge cakes, 2 spoons, mustard, pepper, salt, good), a few baskets of course, 6 lbs. of butter for a piece of collared calf’s head, 18 lettuces, 6 bottles of brandy. Water (this, of collared calf’s head, 18 lettuces, 6 medium-sized lobsters, wine that plates, tumblers, 1 piece of claret, champagne discretion, and spoons, must not suitable forgotten; as also tea. Coffee is scarcely necessary to say that plates, tumblers, 1 piece of tea. Coffee is not suitable for tea), 4 roast ducks, 1 ham, 1 tongue, 2 sponge cold cabinet pudding (this, of cold roast ducks, and pound cakes, 2 sponge cannot be managed, take it.

Beverages.—3 dozen plates, tumblers, wine-glasses, knives, forks, and pounded sugar, and lemonade, of salad, 6 cucumbers.

Stewed fruit, 3 dozen rolls, 6 loaves of sherry, 6 bottles; 6 bottle of salad dressing, a bottle of salad dressing, a bottles well corked, a bottles of sherry, 6 bottles of butter (this last-named article cannot be for a picnic, being difficult to make.

A stick of horseradish, a piece of salad, 18 lettuces, 6 bottles well sweetened, and pounded so it is not

3 or 4 dozen bottles of ale, packed in ham

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

3 or 4 dozen bottles of ale, packed in ham

Curly-corked in pork. :v:

Also a noticeable amount of warning to bring 3 corkscrews. And a forkscrew!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sounds likr a dwaef fortress food

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I kind of want to use Markov Beeton to generate all the mundane goods my players find next time I run a D&D campaign. "You find 7 gnomish forkscrews and a bottle of strong ale, which has been packed in ham, according to halfling custom."

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I think this is actually going to be an ASCII time management game where you manage a procedurally generated kitchen to make food for people that show up. Difficulty will ramp up by increasing the number of ingredients that show up, increasing the number of kitchen stations (a deep fryer, a wok, a stove, oven, etc), and increasing the complexity of the food that the guests want. For example the cooper will want to have a stew or something like that, but that jerk Duke is gonna want a bunch of goddamn eel pies or something.

I'm going to just abstract out the ingredient finding part to your sending out minions on little quests and focus on the actual kitchen part.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I really don't want to interrupt IronChefRL chat, so let me just drop this off and I'll be on my way.

Probability 0

I was unaware that Downwell had any competition in the "low-res roguelike platform descent" genre until my friend put me onto Probability 0. There's less of a setup and more of a high-concept motif here, with your silhouetted pixel man descending into a never-ending pit of darkness, battling strange monsters along the way. You start out only punching and slinging stars downward, but defeating enemies levels you up and allows you to select from dozens of new abilities across several tiers. There's space for some actual builds here, such as ones heavy on punching, or stars, or defense, or contact damage, and so on.

Despite the advancement options, there's not much variety of gameplay to use them on. You'll encounter more and stranger monsters the further down you go but the basic structure of the pit doesn't change from assortments of blocks and spikes. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it just strays closer to an infinite runner than, well, Downwell. The fixed scrolling also means your pace is mostly dictated by the game, making Probability 0 feel the more measured and technical of the two.

The title refers to the game's most unique aspect, the probabilities that constantly flash across the upper center of the screen. This is essentially your health, as the random probabilities decrease as you get hit, from six digits all the way down to singles. It's a clever touch that really supports the surreal, striking feel of the game you get from the stark graphics and steady, low-fi soundtrack. There's two difficulties to tackle plus a mode where you can get a head-start based on your previous records, but again, not a lot of variety between runs aside from your builds. As long as you're okay with that, though, there's a pretty good chance you'll enjoy this one.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

quote:

1 piece of clared cabinet pudding (this last-named article cannot be good)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Looks like ArmCom2 might be going to the Russian Front to start with.

quote:

In ArmCom 1 I was mostly able to avoid dealing with real roguelike map generation. The campaign day map was pretty simple to generate, and the encounter map was always the same hex matrix.

In ArmCom2 scenarios will take place on a full grid map, so I’m having to work with procedural generation of plausible and fun overland map grids. Here’s an early test of the map generator with only hills and roads enabled. The output uses a half-size font so I can view the entire map in one window; in the final game the player will only be able to view about a quarter of the map at any one time, although the map sizes will be changed based on how gameplay feels.

The first map types I’ll be adding will represent Eastern Europe, so they will feature large fields, rolling hills, and small isolated towns.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Looks like ArmCom2 might be going to the Russian Front to start with.

Can't wait to hit an AT mine in the middle of nowhere and cook off due to it damaging the ammo stores.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm implementing races in Godsrune and I've got four so far.

Humans, who went all Fire Nation with the runes, hosed things up for everyone and basically got humanity Tower of Babel-ed.
Cithix, territorial bug people with a resistance to cold and hard exoskeletons.
G'blorb, a race of awakened plant cyclopes both created and formerly enslaved by humans.
And Runewalkers, sentient gatherings of stone occasionally created by high concentrations of rune stones.

Does it feel like I'm missing any important niches? Do all of them seem interesting enough to warrant player race distinction?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what are the distinctions between the species mechanically? how much impact do they have on the experience as opposed to how it would be playing another species?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tollymain posted:

what are the distinctions between the species mechanically? how much impact do they have on the experience as opposed to how it would be playing another species?
I personally object strongly to the idea of gating full game mechanics behind a blind decision, so they're mostly minor bonuses relating to passives, things that lean lightly in a certain class direction but aren't punishing if you lean in another. For example, cithix have a slight evasion boost, and runewalkers have slight magic resistance.

That being said, they differ somewhat massively in how they eat. One of the greatest benefits that humans have is that they're omnivores, and can eat anything. However, they also lose hunger the fastest and have no special bonuses associated with eating.

Cithix are carnivores, but also scavengers, so they can eat rotten meat basically without penalty.

G'blorb are herbivores who can also photosynthesize, filling up their hunger bar by resting in rare rays of sunlight.

And Runewalkers, being animate stone powered by magic, instead fill their hunger bar by draining runes, something you'll want to be collecting anyways. This means they can save inventory space that would normally be used on food, but they lose the benefit of casting whatever runes they eat, so which ones to eat and which to cast with is a constant consideration.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

So the 7drl challenge started today. Anyone here participating?

I'm thinking about doing it - I've got a short design doc already made - but I'm not sure whether this week is going to work for me.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Just picked up UnReal World on Steam, which I haven't played since I did a one off purchase in like 2006. Did they get rid of phobias? Do I no longer have to fear seeing a horse?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Phobias are long gone. Also, we have an URW thread here if you want to join us. Popular topic recently is falling through thing ice and drowning/freezing. :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

alarumklok posted:

I'm thinking about doing it - I've got a short design doc already made - but I'm not sure whether this week is going to work for me.

I really want to, I have the framework for one ready, and a properly limited scope so I might have some prayer of getting it done with my horrid coding skills... but I have the same problem you do, I simply don't have the time to even think about attempting it right now :saddowns:

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Phobias are long gone. Also, we have an URW thread here if you want to join us. Popular topic recently is falling through thing ice and drowning/freezing. :v:

Guess how I just died! I'll be sure to check the thread out. It's been a very very long time.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

like the flavour text just writes itself:

sounds more like lack-of-flavor text to me, hur hur

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this mouse support for caves of qud is amazing and honestly i'm really looking forward to the 100% 'complete' release of the game because mouse stuff goes a long way to helping bring people in.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

alarumklok posted:

Seems to be pretty low interest for it this year, there are barely any devlogs on http://7drl.org/ and there used to be quite a lot of activity.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I seriously considered entering with something with a Gameboy aesthetic and simplified design, (A "two-button' roguelike, essentially), but decided instead to just focus that time and energy on Godsrune instead.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I know we talk about it all the time, but just to be sure: Sproggiwood is worth buying, right?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Stoat posted:

I know we talk about it all the time, but just to be sure: Sproggiwood is worth buying, right?

YES.

It's a great roguelike that encourages short but fun sessions, it's got difficulty levels with teeth to 'em, and it's absolutely worth it.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Stoat posted:

Its the only phone game ive ever seriously enjoyed. I cant remember what it costs but its definitely worth it.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
My first file was accidentally on savage but i beat it anyway :awesomelon:

I think ive posted that like 5 times itt but im gonna do it again

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is it possible tp be such a badass in GH that you can take down a serious mecha lance on foot?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
:siren:Dungeon of the Endless is currently free on iPad.:siren:

No idea on how this controls on a touch screen, but you can't beat that price.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Isaac posted:

Is it possible tp be such a badass in GH that you can take down a serious mecha lance on foot?

No, because a serious mecha lance means your rear end is getting nuked. You can't dodge explosions, much less nuclear ones.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
I'm off work this week and if I weren't so incredibly busy I would def be making a roguelike.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

netcat posted:

Seems to be pretty low interest for it this year, there are barely any devlogs on http://7drl.org/ and there used to be quite a lot of activity.

The registration page has about ~150 entries so it's not THAT bad, just few devlogs. Which is a shame, because I want to code vicariously.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Pladdicus posted:

Press and hold is the best thing. Allows you to do context sensitive, prevents incorrect inputs, radial context menu, mmm. I'd love to see a roguelike with that designed.

I've had an idea for a system shock-y mobile rl in the style of cardinal quest built around a p&h radial menu for a while. it may never happen since I'm more of a graphic artist type and not the programming type.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

I seriously considered entering with something with a Gameboy aesthetic and simplified design, (A "two-button' roguelike, essentially)

You should do it, Siralim rocks!

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have any advice on making the tilesets included in Sil work?
reading the graphics.txt yields
code:
X: alphblending : start row : end row of double high tiles

# 'N' indicates the beginning of an entry. The serial number must

# increase for each new item. The pref file name is the name used

# on load to load the right pref file set for this tile set.

but when I try to load the various pref files it just corrupts the default 8x8 set

Also,
Anyone know anything about MarvinPA-Sil?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Deargodalion posted:

Anyone have any advice on making the tilesets included in Sil work?
reading the graphics.txt yields
code:
X: alphblending : start row : end row of double high tiles

# 'N' indicates the beginning of an entry. The serial number must

# increase for each new item. The pref file name is the name used

# on load to load the right pref file set for this tile set.

but when I try to load the various pref files it just corrupts the default 8x8 set

Also,

For the MarvinPA thing, you can try asking on the Dungeon Crawl Tavern, since that's one of the Crawl devs. Doesn't look like it's been updated for two years, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Deargodalion posted:

What about MPA-Sil? It's just a variant with a few pet peeves removed, I think. Notably, there are no perception checks for identifying items. If your +0 ring of dexterity stops your dex from being drained you'll always identify it no matter what.

I think it also removes christmas presents and lowers the difficulty check for prying sils 2 & 3 to be on par with #1.