Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

What were the first people that met Becca called? Also Becka, really? Who he hell spells it like that? Rebecca. Becca. QED.

Spelling it with a K is not uncommon in Scandinavia for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

Spelling it with a K is not uncommon in Scandinavia for what it's worth.
Not too dissimilar from the grounders' phonetic language, eg Skaikru.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I wonder how much different people would feel about Lexa dying if she had jumped in front of the bullet to save clark instead of walking into it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Assuming the AI would consider that a prudent choice.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As much as I did have a little giggle at Lexa being caught by a stray bullet and it making me think of Buffy for a hot second, at least she was actually in its way. Clarke was going for the door and Lexa opened it.

Tara was standing on the second floor of a building kind of by a window and happened to get shot by the most random of bullets that never looked like it was even fired at an angle to hit her.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

esperterra posted:

Tara was standing on the second floor of a building kind of by a window and happened to get shot by the most random of bullets that never looked like it was even fired at an angle to hit her.

JossWhedon.txt

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

As a complete side note, I liked that Titus of the scared of guns culture was absolutely useless with a gun.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The Comic Con panel is going to be something else innit?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

ufarn posted:

Oh Lord I forgot this was gonna be a thing.

I'm both frightened and anxious to see exactly what happens. Or will it be far enough away that people will have cooled down?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Alycia gonna receive an unsolicited $100,000 check to appear on the panel for five minutes to quell the uprising. She's got the experience.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

What were the first people that met Becca called? Also Becka, really? Who he hell spells it like that? Rebecca. Becca. QED.

I think the back stuff she was injecting herself with was just some kind of binding agent for the chip to interface with her spine.

Titus said they were something called the "the first Natblida" so im assuming it means "not bleeda" or the first people who could survive the radiation

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Rurea posted:

Titus said they were something called the "the first Natblida" so im assuming it means "not bleeda" or the first people who could survive the radiation
Could also be Nightblood/Nightbleeder.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

ufarn posted:

Could also be Nightblood/Nightbleeder.

Yes, it's grounder language for Nightblood.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

ufarn posted:

blood must have blood :unsmigghh:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Troposphere posted:

blood must have blood :unsmigghh:
"The 100 Panel" will soon be the new vernacular "Red Wedding".

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I will say it's one thing to accidentally be killed by a villain, but it's something else entirely to be accidentally killed by basically the one person besides your lover who would never wish harm on you. The fact that Titus's act of violence resulted in him destroying the very thing he wanted to protect is going to, at the very least, make Titus think long and hard about Lexa's nonviolent hopes for the future.

ufarn posted:

Only if Rothenberg shows up. Everyone still loves the cast.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

the writers are starting to deeply regret their decision and it's making me laugh

"we thought it'd be okay when we did it, because we're so awesome" haha okay

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Troposphere posted:

the writers are starting to deeply regret their decision and it's making me laugh

"we thought it'd be okay when we did it, because we're so awesome" haha okay
Someone cut the wifi for these people.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

lexi dead. so what.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

ufarn posted:

Someone cut the wifi for these people.

idk I thought the person's question was pretty reasonable and non hostile

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Troposphere posted:

idk I thought the person's question was pretty reasonable and non hostile
I meant the writers.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

ufarn posted:

I meant the writers.

ahhh well yes I agree to that. they aren't really doing themselves any favors.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I'd also like to point out about half their writers' room is also female. and I also have to assume everyone was in the room when they broke this (if not every) episode and revise revised it, etc. So this definitely did not just slip through.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Sober posted:

I'd also like to point out about half their writers' room is also female. and I also have to assume everyone was in the room when they broke this (if not every) episode and revise revised it, etc. So this definitely did not just slip through.

It's more of an LGBTQ+ issue than a women's issue, but for obvious reasons one has to figure there's probably a few peeps under that umbrella in the writing staff so

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

enraged_camel posted:

yeah it's a perfectly reasonable guess if you're totally ignorant about geography and don't know that Annapolis is on the coast

hint: polis isn't

Also late to this but reminder that there's a desert within walking distance of the lincoln memorial in this show

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Monicro posted:

It's more of an LGBTQ+ issue than a women's issue, but for obvious reasons one has to figure there's probably a few peeps under that umbrella in the writing staff so

Of course, but I figured even if they were all straight women, they would smell it coming or be more aware. Or honestly even JGM who probably has the most experience in the room.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
the fact that they were all aware of the trope and discussed it and still thought they could get away with it is what really gets me. I can forgive ignorance but thinking you're special and that you can get away with burning a huge part of your fanbase and being surprised when there's a backlash...I just don't know what they thought was going to happen. I just hope they learn from it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Monicro posted:

Also late to this but reminder that there's a desert within walking distance of the lincoln memorial in this show

it's totally feasible for nukes to result in desertification of areas

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Troposphere posted:

the fact that they were all aware of the trope and discussed it and still thought they could get away with it is what really gets me. I can forgive ignorance but thinking you're special and that you can get away with burning a huge part of your fanbase and being surprised when there's a backlash...I just don't know what they thought was going to happen. I just hope they learn from it.

this post fits so well with your username

also, wow, this whole thing is proof that people always find a reason to complain about poo poo

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

enraged_camel posted:

this post fits so well with your username

also, wow, this whole thing is proof that people always find a reason to complain about poo poo

just because something doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it doesn't matter to a whole lot of people, people who made up probably the majority of the fiercely loyal fanbase of the show, and are probably going to quit watching now.

it's cool that you're not effected by the bury your gays trope, but plenty of people are. for example, because of health issues I had to move back to my small hometown where I'm deeply closeted because it's very conservative. being able to tune in every week and see a cool badass lesbian doing her thing meant a lot to me--that may sound silly to you but I don't really give a gently caress. I never had that growing up besides Tara from Buffy who, surprise, died in the same exact way.

lot's of people are in the same boat, I've seen lot's of young lesbian women absolutely devastated by this. you can pretend it doesn't mean anything and it's just a television show but for a lot of people it was very inspiring and important. I know it's cool to not care about things on SA, but try and have some empathy.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Troposphere posted:

just because something doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it doesn't matter to a whole lot of people, people who made up probably the majority of the fiercely loyal fanbase of the show, and are probably going to quit watching now.

it's cool that you're not effected by the bury your gays trope, but plenty of people are. for example, because of health issues I had to move back to my small hometown where I'm deeply closeted because it's very conservative. being able to tune in every week and see a cool badass lesbian doing her thing meant a lot to me--that may sound silly to you but I don't really give a gently caress. I never had that growing up besides Tara from Buffy who, surprise, died in the same exact way.

lot's of people are in the same boat, I've seen lot's of young lesbian women absolutely devastated by this. you can pretend it doesn't mean anything and it's just a television show but for a lot of people it was very inspiring and important. I know it's cool to not care about things on SA, but try and have some empathy.

yes yes, except for the conveniently ignored fact that the actor had signed onto another show and had to be written off. is that so hard to comprehend?

not to mention the god drat LEAD character of the show is bisexual, and lexa wasn't a major character until this season. so...

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

enraged_camel posted:

yes yes, except for the conveniently ignored fact that the actor had signed onto another show and had to be written off. is that so hard to comprehend?

not to mention the god drat LEAD character of the show is bisexual, and lexa wasn't a major character until this season. so...

bisexuals are not lesbians

two weeks prior to this episode airing Jroth was interviewed and said that AMC had said they were more than willing to work around Alycia's schedule. there are also more ways to write a character off a show than killing them.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Troposphere posted:

Honest question but will people really just stop watching a show like this so suddenly because of something like this? I mean even putting aside the fact that it was pretty much a given Lexa was gonna get killed at some point, like even if they kind of did it as a surprise, are there really people who will loving love a show and then when something happens they don't like they are just suddenly so vitriolic and bitter that they're just like, "nope! I'm done"?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Troposphere posted:

Funny how someone who's emphasizing empathy can't seem to comprehend that as part of the LGBT community we all pretty much face the same issues to varying extents and in fact bisexuals deal with a lot more poo poo than just plain homosexuals due to bi erasure and outright phobia from gays and lesbians but hey bisexuals aren't lesbians

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Johnny Truant posted:

Honest question but will people really just stop watching a show like this so suddenly because of something like this? I mean even putting aside the fact that it was pretty much a given Lexa was gonna get killed at some point, like even if they kind of did it as a surprise, are there really people who will loving love a show and then when something happens they don't like they are just suddenly so vitriolic and bitter that they're just like, "nope! I'm done"?

yes, absolutely

hope and vaseline posted:

Funny how someone who's emphasizing empathy can't seem to comprehend that as part of the LGBT community we all pretty much face the same issues to varying extents and in fact bisexuals deal with a lot more poo poo than just plain homosexuals due to bi erasure and outright phobia from gays and lesbians but hey bisexuals aren't lesbians

hoollyy lol. them homosexuals have it easy once you think about it, also all queer people are the same

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Troposphere posted:

two weeks prior to this episode airing Jroth was interviewed and said that AMC had said they were more than willing to work around Alycia's schedule. there are also more ways to write a character off a show than killing them.

Where did he say this? All the interviews I've read say that he had a hard time getting her for as many episodes as he did.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
do you seriously not understand why a lesbian would not identify with a character that has sex with men?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

I told Supernatural to gently caress off forever when they gave my favorite character one of the worst, most anticlimactic and pointless death scenes I have ever seen. But that was really just the straw that made the camel realize that Supernatural would forever be the Sam and Dean manpain hour and that everyone in the world could and would be sacrificed to fuel that tired old plot engine.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I quit hannibal when they killed off my favorite character, for the second time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Troposphere posted:

do you seriously not understand why a lesbian would not identify with a character that has sex with men?

Well how did you manage to stretch to identify with a lesbian who commands a nation and is a brutal killer? Is that more relateable to you?

What a weird wavy margin.

• Locked thread