Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

A person who doesn't like the Dover Boys is a person who doesn't understand good cartoons. :colbert:

Well yeah, I'm posting in the Dragon Ball thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

I've probably missed the bus on this discussion, but individual frames are a poor standard for measuring quality since a lot of framework is deliberately "Bad" or "Weird" because they're going for a particular effect like a character snapping dramatically from one position into another one, or moving very quickly. What matters is how it looks in motion.

I haven't seen Dragon Ball Super, and I'm aware that most Japanese animation doesn't quite run into this problem since there's a stronger reliance (in general) on talking stills and limited animation due to budgeting, it's just something that always irks me a bit when someone posts a "Wacky" frame and asks what the animators were thinking. If you didn't notice a problem while it was in motion, then there wasn't a problem.

By contrast, of course, if you did notice it then yes, there may be a problem.

In this case it's more the fact that the studio is animating like 8(?) shows at once, most of them long running.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Anime blows, film at 11.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HitTheTargets posted:

Anime blows, film at 11.

The year was 201X. People thought anime would be good in the future. They were wrong...

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bad Seafood posted:

I've probably missed the bus on this discussion, but individual frames are a poor standard for measuring quality since a lot of framework is deliberately "Bad" or "Weird" because they're going for a particular effect like a character snapping dramatically from one position into another one, or moving very quickly. What matters is how it looks in motion.

I haven't seen Dragon Ball Super, and I'm aware that most Japanese animation doesn't quite run into this problem since there's a stronger reliance (in general) on talking stills and limited animation due to budgeting, it's just something that always irks me a bit when someone posts a "Wacky" frame and asks what the animators were thinking. If you didn't notice a problem while it was in motion, then there wasn't a problem.

By contrast, of course, if you did notice it then yes, there may be a problem.

This isn't the first time I've seen the Dover Boys used as an example of how animation works. Seen it used a few times. Could be a concidence, but is it a commonly used example?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Dover Boys basically popularized smears in animation

It's an important cartoon

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I am not watching Dragon Ball Super either, but I suppose Toei is trying to do too many projects at once and that's what hurts the animation quality.

They should still have the opportunity to fix stuff for the physical releases and presumably Funimation or whoever licenses Super will pick up that version.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

wielder posted:

I am not watching Dragon Ball Super either, but I suppose Toei is trying to do too many projects at once and that's what hurts the animation quality.

They should still have the opportunity to fix stuff for the physical releases and presumably Funimation or whoever licenses Super will pick up that version.

Well, that is kinda what they are doing, so it's all pretty great.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah that is exactly what they're doing but it also means that people who watch when it airs are technically getting an unfinished product.
And I mean, it's not horribly despicable or anything because you don't directly pay for an episode when it airs on TV like you would with a video game or something, but it still colors people's first impressions in a negative light and hurts their enthusiasm about the show, so it's not the best game plan.
Super's animation is mostly decent though, just every now and then it dips into really conspicuously bad territory. It's neither the first nor the only major anime to have this issue, but it's an issue all the same.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Frost is a poison user.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
And apparently kind of a dick in reality.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Say it isn't so

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well that's disappointing

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Augus posted:

Yeah that is exactly what they're doing but it also means that people who watch when it airs are technically getting an unfinished product.
And I mean, it's not horribly despicable or anything because you don't directly pay for an episode when it airs on TV like you would with a video game or something, but it still colors people's first impressions in a negative light and hurts their enthusiasm about the show, so it's not the best game plan.
Super's animation is mostly decent though, just every now and then it dips into really conspicuously bad territory. It's neither the first nor the only major anime to have this issue, but it's an issue all the same.

Have the Japanese fans of the show been complaining a lot? Because they are the only ones who are actually paying to see the first run episodes of DB Super.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I wonder if Frost is really a dick and the nice stuff is all an act, or if he's just that desperate for Champa's help that he's willing to do some sketchy stuff

Either way this Piccolo fight is going to be rad

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kelp Plankton posted:

I wonder if Frost is really a dick and the nice stuff is all an act, or if he's just that desperate for Champa's help that he's willing to do some sketchy stuff

nope he's explicitly a piece of poo poo and always has been, the nice guy stuff is just a cover for his space real estate business

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Piccolo lost, but only because Frost cheated. Hell, he fought smart the whole fight. Big Green's no jobber. Poor Cabba was heartbroken that Frost was a cheating jerkbutt.

Also Goku's fear of needles is completely justified now!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kelp Plankton posted:

Either way this Piccolo fight is going to be rad

He basically...

...starts giant wars on planets and then comes in and pretends to be this ultra nice hero dude that comes in and saves everyone, but is still brokering the planets after the fact. He's Freeza with much better P.R.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

basically, hillary clinton freeza vs donald trump freeza

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

champa and beers really play well off each other and i love them lots

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I watched the preview trailer for the Piccolo vs Frost episode and it looked like he was actually holding his own against a stronger opponent using ~techniques~! What a time to be alive ...

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Hey look at this it's cool

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Piccolo/Frost is a pretty cool little fight, yeah. Who'd have thunk a tournament arc was what Dragon Ball needed?

And now Vegeta gets his wish of smashing (not!)Freeza's face in. I wouldn't have minded if Piccolo got another fight tho, he was doing all his old poo poo against Frost.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Did not expect Jaco: Ace Attorney. Good episode imo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

gently caress you Frost, making me think you weren't a piece of poo poo. Let's go Vegeta.

I guess this also means Goku's getting reinstated after Monaka loses to Hit because he was cheated out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

What a loving terrible episode. All we knew about Frost that made him likable and cool? Everything's a lie, he's just the third coming of Freeza, because we needed more of that instead of a new and fun character. Piccolo fighting? Hah, gently caress you, he loses even when he won. He even gets to use the stretchy arm, completely in vain, because Vegeta tells him to quit and he quits even though he should've continued because gently caress you and gently caress the audience for liking someone that isn't a Saiyan I guess!

It's like they did everything in their power to gently caress this up, wow.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah, wow, that sucks, I was really digging the whole concept of Good Universe 6 vs Evil Universe 7, but that would imply Toei had any semblance of self awareness.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

A good twist makes you mad.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RBX posted:

A good twist makes you mad.

Biggest heel turn since Hollywood Hulk Hogan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Crosspeice posted:

Yeah, wow, that sucks, I was really digging the whole concept of Good Universe 6 vs Evil Universe 7, but that would imply Toei had any semblance of self awareness.

What? How is it not self aware? Because they didn't do what you wanted. The whole good and bad universe was dumb as gently caress anyway,

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
People are really invested in the concept of a Good Freeza lol.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It's not even an interesting concept. To be honest having an honest to god twist is a more out there than the lame bad guy turned good thing. Which has been run into the ground.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The hilarious thing is that Freeza apparently ran charities but was too proud to tell anyone.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't get how people can call this a good twist. It contradicts literally everything we knew about Frost and ruins a genuinely original character to make him a character that's had far more spotlight than he really needed. It also makes a race that had already been shown outside of canon to be mostly good with a few evil outliers into...pure evil, again, inside canon at least.

And it leads to "Goku and Vegeta take down literally everyone" which was exactly what I expected but also what I desperately hoped would not happen.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Good PR Frieza is actually better than just good Frieza.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't get how people can call this a good twist. It contradicts literally everything we knew about Frost and ruins a genuinely original character to make him a character that's had far more spotlight than he really needed. It also makes a race that had already been shown outside of canon to be mostly good with a few evil outliers into...pure evil, again, inside canon at least.

And it leads to "Goku and Vegeta take down literally everyone" which was exactly what I expected but also what I desperately hoped would not happen.

That is what makes it a good twist. It wasn't easily predicted. I also do not give a gently caress about his race because why should i?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is what makes it a good twist. It wasn't easily predicted. I also do not give a gently caress about his race because why should i?

A twist isn't automatically good just because you didn't see it coming though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

This one was tho, just say you don't like it because it's not what you wanted to happen instead of pretending there is some objective reason it is bad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
ah yes the hot internet arguments of "it was bad" "nuh uh" "yuh huh"

Personally I'm glad the twist means I don't have to be disappointed when we never see Frost again after this arc

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Frost is probably the most interesting villian in all of Dragonball really. Though that is a low bar to clear.

• Locked thread