Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Glad I can see this. Super Stoked that 60s Bat is making an appearance in the races, because even though I wasn't born until '90 I grew up with 60s Batman being a big thing in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Kurieg posted:

I think that's because whoever wrote Origin's Joker fundamentally misunderstood the way the joker worked in The Dark Knight. Ledger's joker really didn't care about Batman specifically, he wanted to prove that everyone was scum, that deep down everyone was corruptable, and if he managed to bring Batman down to his level it would plunge Gotham into chaos. You got a sense that the Joker existed prior to Batman and would have gone on doing poo poo after him. But Origin's Joker seemed to congeal fully formed around one idea "I will get Batman to kill someone." and then forced the plot to also revolve around that point.

Joker in Origins initially didn't care at all about batman outside of the fact that he was an obstacle to his plans. His obsession with Batman and his attempts to get him to break his rule only begins after Batman saves Joker at the hotel.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, Joker in Origins was all "Woo, blowing up stuff is great." for most of the game. It wasn't until the second fight with Bane that he even brought up trying to get Batman to kill someone, and that's literally the last 15 minutes of the game's main plot.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Dimebags Brain posted:

Joker in Origins initially didn't care at all about batman outside of the fact that he was an obstacle to his plans. His obsession with Batman and his attempts to get him to break his rule only begins after Batman saves Joker at the hotel.

Yep, Joker's interest in Batman starts with Batman saving Joker's life, even after Joker has killed countless people already. The cutscene where Joker is baffled and angry about being saved, where he has a perfect chance to shoot Batman in the head but doesn't because his obsession has just begun, that is my favorite cutscene of this entire game series. I don't like that Joker invaded the plot of Origins when we were promised a Black Mask story, but to their credit, they did Joker very well.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CuwiKhons posted:

to their credit, they did Joker very well.
"This fruitcake is delicious!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CuwiKhons posted:

Yep, Joker's interest in Batman starts with Batman saving Joker's life, even after Joker has killed countless people already. The cutscene where Joker is baffled and angry about being saved, where he has a perfect chance to shoot Batman in the head but doesn't because his obsession has just begun, that is my favorite cutscene of this entire game series. I don't like that Joker invaded the plot of Origins when we were promised a Black Mask story, but to their credit, they did Joker very well.

Bah, that's what I get for posting without double-checking. Ignore me then, I still hate Origins.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
If we're still sharing Batman Vs Batman Videos, I wish this was in higher quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlCXo_Cl8EA

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Good news! Joker is explained! Poorly! And I continue to be absolutely thrilled by the predictions I'm seeing in this thread.

Trouble In Bat-Paradise/Polsy

New profile(s): Joker, Christina Bell, Albert King, Johnny Charisma, Henry Adams

New stories: Cargo

Race 5: 1989 - Cobblepot's Causeway/Polsy

Also I just want to take a moment to quote something from the Arkham Origins thread, because reading it in hindsight is kinda funny.

thetrueoskar posted:

I wonder how they're going to bring Joker back for it THIS time. since as far as I know, it's after City chronologically? I've narrowed it down to three possibilities in ascending badness (since we all know they're going to bring him back):

1. Guilt over technically killing him splits Batman into three personalities instead of just two, Bruce, Batman, and Joker, and he pops up as a voice in the back of his head (which, admittedly, would explain why Batman is using GUNS AND EXPLOSIVES, but unless it's well done, would feel like a shoehorned thing).

2. Scarecrow comes back after the teaser ending of City, with a new, improved Fear Toxin, gets the drop on Batman somehow, and the normal antidote doesn't work. Batman hallucinates Joker over guilt. Deals with it by realizing he's creating problems, stops being Batman. (Would be a nice end to the series, and let them reboot the continuity again, at least?)

3. They retcon the blood he donated in City with some kind of... I dunno, undetectable Joker DNA thing? as some master plan he secretly had all along, and everyone who got blood (despite being cured) starts turning into him with... oh, please don't introduce Joker nanomachines. Then the final boss fight is against 50 Jokers.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
So people in the thread ragged on Joker being back but I like him returning in this capacity. I'm looking forward to seeing if Batman gets a little bit crazier as the game goes on and starts talking to him.

And I'm enjoying that some of the billboards are changing to show Joker's face. That's a nice touch.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well, it worked for Baltar and Caprica Six in BSG so why wouldn't it work for the Batman?

Battling your demons and all that. Helps build character (literally!).

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mark Hamill, you make everything better.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I guess I'm fine with Joker in this capacity, but the whole Joker blood thing makes me worried that he's gonna end up monopolizing the story again.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

JT Jag posted:

Due to exposure to super-fear-toxin Batman is gonna end up with Joker hallucinations for the entire rest of the game isn't he
I promise, I came into this LP blind and this was just a guess

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I love the hallucination effects in AK. The Killing Joke flashback shifting around you as you turned the camera was perfect.

The subtle changes, like the billboard at the end, are great too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have a few issues with this plot device meant to bring the Joker back. Mainly because:

1. Why did they even need to do the Joker blood angle to begin with? What was wrong with Batman just getting gassed by Scarecrow throughout the game and Joker just tagging along with Batman and taunting him from his psyche? I mean City ended with Batman feeling guilty about Joker's death and Batman is noted to be extremely obsessive, so that wouldn't have even been a stretch.

2. This retcons things from Arkham City to make less sense, if I understand correctly. So, instead of everyone dying from Joker's Titan poisoning, which apparently should have killed a ton of people given that everyone and their grandmother decided to get a blood transfusion on the night of Arkham City, they're all fine now. Except for the ones turning into the Joker. Which is only five people out of the dozens upon dozens upon dozens that were mentioned to have been suffering from the effects in the previous game. How did they even cure the Titan poisoning for these people? Ra's disappeared, so they couldn't have gotten more blood to make another of Mr. Freeze's miracle cure's.

3. The Joker himself is no longer a villain. I mean everyone who comes into contact with Joker's blood begins to act erratic and unlike themselves, right? So, I guess that the guy who originally became the Joker is a victim of that effect, too. So, now, instead of the Joker being an awful villain, he's just as much of a person who was affected by the blood as these four people who are quarantined. But we're still supposed to hate him, because...

That being said, Joker hallucination following Batman around and loving with him all night is good stuff. It's like he's a co-LPer!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

JT Jag posted:

I promise, I came into this LP blind and this was just a guess

Was kind of obvious really, I can't really recall too many surprise twists in the series as a whole anyway (the very first Scarecrow gas sequence in Asylum maybe?).

Some little bits not shown off, if you zoom in on Joker's ball cap in that hallucination it's helpfully labeled "Flash Back", also I seem to recall he has some remarks about when he "had to share bad news about Barbara to Gordon" if you stand there long enough before talking to Gordon in the police station.

Anyway, predictable and badly justified or not, I rather like how Joker was portrayed in this one, it's almost like having your own (extremely hosed up) Let's Play commentary going through the whole thing sometimes. That and they have a lot of fun with it, Scruffy showed off how the signs randomly change for one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MadDogMike posted:

Anyway, predictable and badly justified or not, I rather like how Joker was portrayed in this one, it's almost like having your own (extremely hosed up) Let's Play commentary going through the whole thing sometimes. That and they have a lot of fun with it, Scruffy showed off how the signs randomly change for one.
Yeah, there's a lot of details. I love how Joker acts as Batman's incredibly snarky conscience - if he was written like that all the time, I wouldn't be so goddamn sick of him in all three previous games.
Plus he gets a couple of actually funny lines this time around. We already had one with the napalm enema. This game generally treats the villains pretty well, one returning frenemy aside.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

I mean on one hand, the joker through fear toxin thing is stupid; on the other, he's stealing the show so far.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of details. I love how Joker acts as Batman's incredibly snarky conscience - if he was written like that all the time, I wouldn't be so goddamn sick of him in all three previous games.
Plus he gets a couple of actually funny lines this time around. We already had one with the napalm enema. This game generally treats the villains pretty well, one returning frenemy aside.

The delivery on, "Seriously, I was aiming for her head!" Made that line pretty drat funny too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't like THAT the Joker is here, but I like HOW he's here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

anilEhilated posted:

The Joker in this game seems very similar The Watcher from Darksiders, which is of course also a great performance by Mark Hamill.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So yeah the Joker thing is this game seems to be a result of Joker blood and Fear toxin.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have a few issues with this plot device meant to bring the Joker back. Mainly because:

1. Why did they even need to do the Joker blood angle to begin with? What was wrong with Batman just getting gassed by Scarecrow throughout the game and Joker just tagging along with Batman and taunting him from his psyche? I mean City ended with Batman feeling guilty about Joker's death and Batman is noted to be extremely obsessive, so that wouldn't have even been a stretch.

The argument could be made that Batman has enough mental training and sheer willpower to overcome the fear gas by itself, but coupled with the Joker Blood it's able to over power him. Maybe we'll get more info later in game.

quote:

2. This retcons things from Arkham City to make less sense, if I understand correctly. So, instead of everyone dying from Joker's Titan poisoning, which apparently should have killed a ton of people given that everyone and their grandmother decided to get a blood transfusion on the night of Arkham City, they're all fine now. Except for the ones turning into the Joker. Which is only five people out of the dozens upon dozens upon dozens that were mentioned to have been suffering from the effects in the previous game. How did they even cure the Titan poisoning for these people? Ra's disappeared, so they couldn't have gotten more blood to make another of Mr. Freeze's miracle cure's.

In City, IIRC, Joker had been supplying his tainted blood to hospitals for weeks, so it wasn't a bunch of people getting transfusions in one night. Presumably, in that scenario, it would take a long time for any of the effects to appear, otherwise Batman would get wise that something was up and spoil Joker's fun. Maybe it was even diluted with clean blood to delay any reaction, which would explain why Batman almost dies over the course of a few hours. He got a concentrated dose. Then it kind of makes sense that 4 people slipped through the cracks or didn't hear about the danger.

I don't recall how they fixed the already infected people though. And apparently even the miracle cure didn't really work if Batman is still feeling effects of it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Oh man, I knew he was coming back as soon as the game started but this is just too good. I am really looking forward to see how the Joker turns this game into his stage again. :allears:

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
I think the reason why Batman is having special effects from this is not the just the joker blood, its the fact that Batman had Titan in his system for a bit. Yes Batman took the antidote to Titan within minutes, but that just leaves another chemical in his system. Remember, what killed Joker was Titan poisoning, and so there's a bit of that in his blood as well.

Basically, its all those different chemicals interacting, they were stable but Scarecrow's new gas has made them unstable again.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

I don't recall how they fixed the already infected people though. And apparently even the miracle cure didn't really work if Batman is still feeling effects of it.
The miracle cure removed the dying from Titan Poisoning effect, but not the "becoming Joker" effect. Don't ask me how.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Bats also has some Ra's al Ghul in in him IIRC, the cure was based on Ra's blood?

Dude's a walking petridish.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

Bats also has some Ra's al Ghul in in him IIRC, the cure was based on Ra's blood?

Dude's a walking petridish.

Let's not forget Copperhead's poison and Mad Hatter's "tea".

If there's one thing I'm amazed by, it's the fact that Batman manages to get drugged in all of the Arkham games. Kinda makes that conversation with Oracle about him possibly getting dosed by Crane without realizing it and killing someone (Identity Thief sidequest) a bit funnier in hindsight.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If there's one thing I'm amazed by, it's the fact that Batman manages to get drugged in all of the Arkham games.

It's what he gets for not having a mask to cover his mouth and nose.

At least the Arkham Knight gets that one right.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I just like that the communicator Batman used to talk to Gordon in the car was called "Batphone".

Like what Adam West had in his Lincoln Futura, with a direct link to... Commissioner Gordon! It all makes sense.

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I just like that the communicator Batman used to talk to Gordon in the car was called "Batphone".

Or that the bat mobile's steering wheel is also bat shaped. I think he has a problem...

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

3. The Joker himself is no longer a villain. I mean everyone who comes into contact with Joker's blood begins to act erratic and unlike themselves, right? So, I guess that the guy who originally became the Joker is a victim of that effect, too. So, now, instead of the Joker being an awful villain, he's just as much of a person who was affected by the blood as these four people who are quarantined. But we're still supposed to hate him, because...

That being said, Joker hallucination following Batman around and loving with him all night is good stuff. It's like he's a co-LPer!

Thank you for summing up exactly how I feel about this. The execution is fine, good, even, but the whole thing is really unnecessary and yeah, the plot excuse is weak, not to mention pretty cliche. Plus I'd add a fourth problem that I have with this in that Batman apparently isn't going to tell anyone he's hallucinating from the fear gas. 'I had a bad reaction but I'm over it'? Really, Bats? People have a right to know if you're impaired, here.

Of course, if Joker hadn't been such a problem with Origins story I probably wouldn't hate this, and that wasn't even the same company, so maybe I should stop being so hard on Rocksteady for something that technically isn't their fault. But then what would I get angry about on the internet?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Batman gave Robin a sample of his infected blood, and sent him to have Oracle figure out a cure and track down the blood shipments.

Fun Things:
  • When gordon is identified on the CCTV system, his profile background text pops up.
  • Joker has a couple additional lines if you wait to call the batmobile. This is true in a number of settings. Joker serves as the usual "go and do this" prompting device, but of course he has really good lines to do so.
  • I believe you can check in with Barbara at the clocktower before things really kick off.
  • There's a bunch of extraneous info on other screens at the clocktower iirc.

Questions:
If you look around the mixing chamber, had you actually placed the fourth container of neutralizer?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 6, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Let's not forget Copperhead's poison and Mad Hatter's "tea".

If there's one thing I'm amazed by, it's the fact that Batman manages to get drugged in all of the Arkham games. Kinda makes that conversation with Oracle about him possibly getting dosed by Crane without realizing it and killing someone (Identity Thief sidequest) a bit funnier in hindsight.

The Arkham games are somewhat like the Max Payne series, in that there is always a point where the main character gets drugged and has a weird-rear end nightmare sequence ensue. And much like Max Payne, Batman is an expert at diving through the air- they should compare notes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

GirlCalledBob posted:

Of course, if Joker hadn't been such a problem with Origins story I probably wouldn't hate this, and that wasn't even the same company, so maybe I should stop being so hard on Rocksteady for something that technically isn't their fault. But then what would I get angry about on the internet?

Yeah, I was thinking this too. If this was just the third game, I wouldn't have a problem, especially because I feel the only reason Origins even exists as a prequel is so they could do another game with the Joker since they killed him in City.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Crystalgate posted:

The miracle cure removed the dying from Titan Poisoning effect, but not the "becoming Joker" effect. Don't ask me how.

Nanomachines. It's ALWAYS nanomachines.

By the way, is "Johnny Charisma" supposed to be a reference to MK's Johnny Cage?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

On one hand, goddamn let the Joker rest. I like him, but I'm getting into serious Joker fatigue here.
On the other, the plotline seems decent, modulo having to shut down your brain on the how, but then again comic book science is magic by another name.

Kidnapping the sane carrier guy, though? Not cool, Batman, not cool. You could let the dude out, it's not like he'd disappear to avoid the blood testing bat-syringes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Batman gave Robin a sample of his infected blood, and sent him to have Oracle figure out a cure and track down the blood shipments.

Maybe that call Alfred had about Lucius making a cure during the Mad Hatter sidequest was real, then. :tinfoil:

Discendo Vox posted:

If you look around the mixing chamber, had you actually placed the fourth container of neutralizer?

From what I recall, I think it inexplicably disappears. Which is weird, because shouldn't it have exploded if Batman had a freakout and passed out, likely dropping it after Joker's hallucination showed up?

JamieTheD posted:

Nah, I'm afraid it's a little simpler than that. Of the lot, he's the most Joker-like, and... Jo[hnny] Char[isma]. Oh ho, ho ho ho ho. My sides, they do split.

Yeah, I actually mistook him for the real Joker, honestly. I saw an image of him before the game came out and I thought that there was going to be a sidequest where you find out that he was Joker's real identity.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 6, 2016

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Because Joker.

quote:

Nah, they openly say "We missed a few, because of unrecorded transfusions." This, at least, I'm fine with. The Ra's blood thing, I seem to recall, is a genuine hole, or at least, I don't remember the solution.

quote:

Okay, this is not a spoiler, because the game's all but throwing it in your face, but... Here's hole number 2: The "Miracle Cure", as folks are calling it, didn't technically work on Batman. He's turning into Joker too. So yeah, all the talk in the previous two games of Joker taking over the plot? Well, now it's happening literally. This is about the point where I started to seriously dislike the writing in this game.

As to Joker not being a villain, funnily enough, this has often been one of the debating points of the Joker. How much is him, and how much is the chemical aftereffects of his One Bad Day? Was it actually a chemical aftereffect? Because another thing everyone knows is that there's ten or twelve different "Origins" for the Joker, and not all of them involve Ace Chemicals.

Technowolf posted:

Nanomachines. It's ALWAYS nanomachines.

By the way, is "Johnny Charisma" supposed to be a reference to MK's Johnny Cage?

Nah, I'm afraid it's a little simpler than that. Of the lot, he's the most Joker-like, and... Jo[hnny] Char[isma]. Oh ho, ho ho ho ho. My sides, they do split.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I assume the Jokers will escape and become boss fights later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If only we had The Jokester instead of these guys :sigh:

• Locked thread