Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Traveller posted:

Western right-wingers look up to China and Russia, for some reason I can't quite put my finger on.

I've yet to see anyone outside of the UK do that for China.

They'll be painted as a threat but I haven't seen "we should totally be like them".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

I can count at least two enormous misrepresentations and outright deceptions regards facts and history here

Comments are about what you'd expect

edit - I just pointed out logical flaws to them in both the fact that over half died to preserve slavery and that the article of the confederacy specifically stated slavery is good and will stay, hopefully I am treated to an intellectually rigorous debate

Er, how many millions of whites still fight to fly the confederate flag? And what party do they vote for?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Wait, why does walsh want to stop early voting? I mean, I understand that reducing turnout is good for people like walsh, but you can't just say that outright. And doesn't early voting tend to lean right?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bushiz posted:

And doesn't early voting tend to lean right?

I've never heard this claim.

Getting rid of early voting means you have reduced opportunities to vote which means it's less likely that flakier people (who also happen to disagree with you) will vote.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

ManlyGrunting posted:

Yeah, all those voters under 25 you see at Trump rallies :jerkbag:

Isn't early voting mostly used by the elderly? That adds a weird wrinkle to that post.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ron Jeremy posted:

You'd think that with how the demographic skews older now it'd be a little less angsty than before.

You do know what thread you're posting in, right?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

I've never heard this claim.

Getting rid of early voting means you have reduced opportunities to vote which means it's less likely that flakier people (who also happen to disagree with you) will vote.

It's just sort of a truism I'd always heard. I just checked my county for the last several elections and it's accurate, for here at least. Early voting is up to 5% more republican in presidential election years, but the rightward slant diminishes the less popular the election is.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

Isn't early voting mostly used by the elderly? That adds a weird wrinkle to that post.

My in-laws voted early, which confirms your conjecture.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

beatlegs posted:

Er, how many millions of whites still fight to fly the confederate flag? And what party do they vote for?

Alas, I have not received a response to any of my queries yet

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7e6gLht6OQ

Where in Dinesh makes the case that Hillary is Carmen Sandiago

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Bushiz posted:

It's just sort of a truism I'd always heard. I just checked my county for the last several elections and it's accurate, for here at least. Early voting is up to 5% more republican in presidential election years, but the rightward slant diminishes the less popular the election is.

I figured it would appeal to people who couldn't get time off of work, i.e., low wage workers, i.e., people more left-leaning.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Keep going Walsh, you're almost there!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

I can count at least two enormous misrepresentations and outright deceptions regards facts and history here

Comments are about what you'd expect

edit - I just pointed out logical flaws to them in both the fact that over half died to preserve slavery and that the article of the confederacy specifically stated slavery is good and will stay, hopefully I am treated to an intellectually rigorous debate

Uhhhh, I have it on good authority that the Civil War was about states rights.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

apatheticman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7e6gLht6OQ

Where in Dinesh makes the case that Hillary is Carmen Sandiago

That's an amazing trailer :allears:

And by amazing I mean incoherent even by Dinesh D'Souza's standards.

Basically, the plot of this movie is, from my read on the trailer: Dinesh goes to jail for being a financial con artist and sexual creepo (but it's all OBAMA'S FAULT somehow), and while in the klink he realizes that Andrew Jackson was a massive rear end in a top hat... and a Democrat. And because Democrats are the real racists, Dinesh decides to remake 12 Years A Slave on an Asylum Pictures budget, run around spouting a bunch of poo poo that would make Nic Cage in the National Treasure movies roll his eyes, and somehow, because of all that.... HILLARY WANTS TO STEAL AMERICA.

gently caress me, I hope Hillary wins the election, I really loving do. If this is the preview of coming attractions for what 8 years of HRC is gonna do to the right wing in America, it is gonna be GREAT :munch:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/louis-c-k-donald-trump-insane-bigot-dangerous-1201723679/

Louis CK wrote an interesting letter on Trump, I say interesting because he cites the classic "TRUTH IS IN THE MIDDLE" routine from South Park that we all despise.

quote:

And I’m not advocating for Hillary or Bernie. I like them both but frankly I wish the next president was a conservative only because we had Obama for eight years and we need balance. And not because I particularly enjoy the conservative agenda. I just think the government should reflect the people. And we are about 40 percent conservative and 40 percent liberal. When I was growing up and when I was a younger man, liberals and conservatives were friends with differences. They weren’t enemies. And it always made sense that everyone gets a president they like for a while and then hates the president for a while. But it only works if the conservatives put up a good candidate. A good smart conservative to face the liberal candidate so they can have a good argument and the country can decide which way to go this time.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/louis-c-k-donald-trump-insane-bigot-dangerous-1201723679/

Here's the problem I have with this line of thinking. First off, conservatism? Failed ideology. It's destroyed our country and ruined many people's lives as a result. It helps two groups of people. Big business asssholes and politicians. That's it. We see education, healthcare and worker's rights chipped away in favor of helping out rich assholes.

second off? Where are these "smart", "kind" conservatives he keeps wanting to run and "balance" out the government? I mean he cites Kasich but Kasich to a certain extent is more so the exception to the rule. For every Kasich? There's like 5 Tom Coburn's, Ted Cruz's or what have you.

The truth isn't in "The middle" when the middle is pretty much on our side at this point, and the other side is so drat far right.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Also, Kasich is not nearly as moderate or reasonable as he pretends to be on the national stage when actually running things in Ohio.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

Louis CK wrote an interesting letter on Trump, I say interesting because he cites the classic "TRUTH IS IN THE MIDDLE" routine from South Park that we all despise.

Here's the problem I have with this line of thinking. First off, conservatism? Failed ideology. It's destroyed our country and ruined many people's lives as a result. It helps two groups of people. Big business asssholes and politicians. That's it. We see education, healthcare and worker's rights chipped away in favor of helping out rich assholes.

second off? Where are these "smart", "kind" conservatives he keeps wanting to run and "balance" out the government? I mean he cites Kasich but Kasich to a certain extent is more so the exception to the rule. For every Kasich? There's like 5 Tom Coburn's, Ted Cruz's or what have you.

The truth isn't in "The middle" when the middle is pretty much on our side at this point, and the other side is so drat far right.

A good summation but Kasich is absolutely the rule and well in line with the worst of the worst

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

StandardVC10 posted:

Also, Kasich is not nearly as moderate or reasonable as he pretends to be on the national stage when actually running things in Ohio.

This is true. Out of everyone left on the stage, Kasich would almost surely be the most devastating to abortion rights.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

This is true. Out of everyone left on the stage, Kasich would almost surely be the most devastating to abortion rights.

I think ted cruz would be worse, but to be fair I think the country would be a smoldering crater before he even did anything.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StandardVC10 posted:

More importantly, a hypothetical President Kasich would enable Paul Ryan, Ted Cruz, etc., because no Republican president is going to veto a Republican House and Senate, no matter how crazy they get.

So welcome to MASSIVE cuts to all domestic spending in a Kasich government. gently caress Obamacare, goodbye Medicare and Medicaid.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Yeah lets elect a conservative because we need "balance". Are you kidding me? A republican president would give them control of the whole loving thing, and the SC would get stacked with far-right extremists. Durrr. Come on CK you're not that loving stupid.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

beatlegs posted:

Yeah lets elect a conservative because we need "balance". Are you kidding me? A republican president would give them control of the whole loving thing, and the SC would get stacked with far-right extremists. Durrr. Come on CK you're not that loving stupid.

High wis, low int

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Getting closer...

https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/706584578304004096

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

beatlegs posted:

The illusion of "fairness" gets me when it comes to politics. It's a cheap, lazy way to pretend to be logical without having to pay any attention to what's actually happening at the time and equating all groups no matter how bad one gets. The conservatives absolutely need to be taken down a few pegs given how much they have control over and how badly they've screwed up running it. The fact that they're eating themselves now that their useful formula for manipulating votes has finally taken a mind of its own should tell you that these aren't the people you want running the show anymore.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FuzzySkinner posted:

So what he's asking for is a "conservative" president and an obstructionist progressive congress that does nothing but insult the guy and question his loyalties, honor, citizenship, and religion? Balance!

e: oh and this new president's wife is an ugly hateful cow, too!

bango skank fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 6, 2016

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Geostomp posted:

The illusion of "fairness" gets me when it comes to politics. It's a cheap, lazy way to pretend to be logical without having to pay any attention to what's actually happening at the time and equating all groups no matter how bad one gets. The conservatives absolutely need to be taken down a few pegs given how much they have control over and how badly they've screwed up running it. The fact that they're eating themselves now that their useful formula for manipulating votes has finally taken a mind of its own should tell you that these aren't the people you want running the show anymore.

I subscribed a bit to the "fairness" doctrine when I was younger (I described myself as "socially liberal but economically conservative", because I thought gay people should have rights but believed people shouldn't spend money on bad things, which, wow, sterling political acumen there, young Xanderkish). I stopped subscribing to it when I started feeling confident in my own beliefs and my capacity to understand politics rationally-and as I came to realize how profoundly irrational republican politics were. Appeals towards fairness are an easy out for people who are afraid of getting people angry, afraid of being wrong, or have a naive view of the political process which understands it as being more functional and ethical than it actually is.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Professional Blogger Passionate Defender Of What He Imagines Contributing To Society To Be

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Professional Truth Sayer Passionate Defender Of What He Imagines Contributing To Society To Be

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Modern conservatism has existed since Goldwater, correct? (I realize that Nixon used the "Southern Strategy" but he'd be considered a democrat now).

Since 1980 or so? They've pretty much had their foot on the throat of the country until around 2008 or so. Even then? they' continued to pout and continued to find ways to gently caress people over on a state and local level.

I don't count the Clinton presidency in retrospect as being truly all that progressive. How many awful policies were passed during that year thanks to the likes of Gingrich and other idiots trying to gently caress over minorities and the poor?

They're also consistently hypocritical. They demand that we cut spending on healthcare, social security, welfare and a whole number of government programs. Yet they consistently have us spend trillions of dollars on pointless wars and agencies that violate people's basic civil liberties.

Then they turn it around on us and blame us for why there's a high national deficit. It's frustrating and intellectually dishonest. At least Joe Libetarian is perhaps consistent on quite a few things. These people aren't. They're walking contradictions.

The mythical "pendulum" has not even begun to swing back yet honestly.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Wow, that Louis CK letter did not help my already low opinion of the man. He should stick to dad tales.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Geostomp posted:

The illusion of "fairness" gets me when it comes to politics. It's a cheap, lazy way to pretend to be logical without having to pay any attention to what's actually happening at the time and equating all groups no matter how bad one gets.

Agreed. I was lazy and didn't pay attention to politics when I was younger, then 9/11 happened. I felt like an idiot for not knowing anything and started self-educating. The Bush years made it pretty easy to discern what the GOP was all about and what the differences between R and D were/are. It does take some effort to educate yourself but at least you gain the security of knowing who the decent ones are and who wants to stab you in the back. I guess if you're a wealthy celebrity such things aren't worth concerning yourself over.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I think if Walsh lived back in the day he'd be a slave owner

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

So, do people respond to this guy or what? I'd just tell him that if we're going that route, if you haven't served in the military you shouldn't be able to vote, which I'm betting would disqualify him.

(Note, I don't actually believe that voting should be tied to anything other than being a citizen.)

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

https://mobile.twitter.com/debbieschlussel/status/706544309953290240

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

gently caress Lady, did you see the Bush twins?

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

apatheticman posted:

gently caress Lady, did you see the Bush twins?

Is Michelle Hussein Obama a new one? I didn't know married women took their husband's middle name too.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Service guarantees citizenship.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Always got to love how terrified the GOP are of young people.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

The same lady who believed in fortune telling and astronomy?

Sadly, Bruce Campbell is not available to drive a stake through her blackened heart due to reasons of playing Ash Williams.

Christopher Lee isn't available because he's, well, mostly dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Sorus posted:

Service guarantees citizenship.

I'm not advocating that, but it seems like the kind of thing that Walsh would advocate, which I find funny since I doubt he's ever served a day in his life.