Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

And honestly, is it any worse than the original Star Wars films?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
And honestly, is it any worse than the original Alien films? That series is cheesy as hell in retrospect, but it's drat near a sacred cow as long as it's one of the original two. The flaws in Doom are mostly flaws present in one of the most famous sci-fi films of all time.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
If you really think about it, all movies are pretty much the same.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Cloud Atlas is an extremely underrated near-masterpiece. Only a few unfortunate make-up jobs really hold it back in my opinion.

Yeah, even if you accept that the weird yellowface is because it's future-people and not "regular Asians", they should have looked at their makeup tests and gone "welp, that's not gonna go over right" and done something different. Outside of that awkwardness, it's basically a perfect movie.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I'm just gonna say it because no one else did- Speed Racer is an awful, awful movie.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I really liked in a recent Reddit AMA someone asked Tatum "what was up with Jupiter Ascending?" and his only answer was "Yeah, what was up with that movie?" or something along those lines.

That movie was pretty dumb, but at least it tried to be creative/new instead of just rehashing old poo poo. Of course if Star Wars is any indication, then that's where the money is at.

Even Fury Road was basically a new movie completely unrelated to the previous movies, and yet if there is any take away from the awards it won to the movie execs is that MORE SEQUELS!

Speaking of which, I really wish the movie had just been called Fury Road, who just so happens to focus on a guy named Max. Except he only says this once at the very end.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 4, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Yeah, even if you accept that the weird yellowface is because it's future-people and not "regular Asians", they should have looked at their makeup tests and gone "welp, that's not gonna go over right" and done something different. Outside of that awkwardness, it's basically a perfect movie.

The idea of souls connecting and reconnecting with each other through time is just such a powerful idea, Cloud Atlas and The Fountain are two of my favorite films that use that premise.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

The idea of souls connecting and reconnecting with each other through time is just such a powerful idea, Cloud Atlas and The Fountain are two of my favorite films that use that premise.

I have the Cloud Atlas book, but I haven't read it yet. I feel like I'm gonna like the narrative framework of the movie a lot more.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Efexeye posted:

I'm just gonna say it because no one else did- Speed Racer is an awful, awful movie.

:yeah:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Snak posted:

The really weird thing is how they have Sonmi speak Korean and then the guy tells her to speak "Consumer" (English). So... Why not have it that there are white people in Future Korea, then? Obviously it's a multicultural place.

Also they almost entirely removed the angry cynical streak that Sonmi had in the book.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Efexeye posted:

Ok.

You're wrong though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Snak posted:

I have the Cloud Atlas book, but I haven't read it yet. I feel like I'm gonna like the narrative framework of the movie a lot more.
From what I heard it's structured a bit differently, with the stories nested in chronological order. Always been curious about it too, though.

I liked Cloud Atlas but I kept feeling like it was building towards some kind of revelation or plot twist that tied all the stories together in a larger, or maybe just more explicit, way, and that just failed to happen which left me wondering vaguely what the point was.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

I liked Cloud Atlas but I kept feeling like it was building towards some kind of revelation or plot twist that tied all the stories together in a larger, or maybe just more explicit, way, and that just failed to happen which left me wondering vaguely what the point was.

There isn't one moment where it gives you the revelation, you kinda have to figure it out yourself, and its not easy in one viewing. After watching a second time, I started to understand that the people with the shooting star birthmark are all a single soul, and there is always another connected to them, destined to be their protector. Its easier to put that together once you realize that you're supposed to disregard gender entirely. Its also tough to follow who is who because the same actors play both the protector and protectee at different points in time..

That whole dynamic makes for some incredibly powerful moments, like how Syksmith loses the love of his life to suicide, then encounters him/her again in the form of Halle Berry's journalist character. He has a chance to once again be her protector, but tragically he's killed before he even gets to know her.

None of that is necessarily the "point" though, the movie is complex enough that different people would come away with different messages. One basic theme seems to be that a persons actions have a ripple effect through time that they could never, ever anticipate, so don't assume you're a meaningless person or that your actions have no weight.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 4, 2016

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fury Road is playing at the San Francisco Alamo Drafthouse this weekend. Going to try and go for my 9th time seeing it in the theater :toot:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like The Fountain works better as just a set of parallel stories than Cloud Atlas, though, which didn't work at all for me given that I find the idea more ridiculous and nonsensical than powerful, which I really don't intend to take anything away from people for whom it resonates. The Fountain is helped there by being absolutely gorgeous.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

I feel like The Fountain works better as just a set of parallel stories than Cloud Atlas, though, which didn't work at all for me given that I find the idea more ridiculous and nonsensical than powerful, which I really don't intend to take anything away from people for whom it resonates. The Fountain is helped there by being absolutely gorgeous.

I do think overall The Fountain is the better film. The performances in it are better for the most part, and it all comes together at the end in a way that Cloud Atlas doesn't. I love them both.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Fury Road is playing at the San Francisco Alamo Drafthouse this weekend. Going to try and go for my 9th time seeing it in the theater :toot:

The 21st century will become a better place if Fury Road becomes a regular midnight movie for people to show up to in costume with callbacks, but reverently instead of in mockery like for Rocky Horror or The Room.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

chitoryu12 posted:

The 21st century will become a better place if Fury Road becomes a regular midnight movie for people to show up to in costume with callbacks, but reverently instead of in mockery like for Rocky Horror or The Room.

I've used "Fury Road and Witness?" in place of "Netflix and chill." I was Nux for Halloween. I would be the kind of person to do midnight showings with lots of shouting and celebration.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
The only problem with Fury Road is that it's inevitable sequel won't be near as good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Immortan posted:

The only problem with Fury Road is that it's inevitable sequel won't be near as good.

That's what we were saying about Fury Road before it came out. Or, rather, while it was in development hell for over a decade.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Development Hell and delays result in only two options: either it comes out and is a broken mess of half baked ideas (Duke Nukem Forever), or it is delayed and tweaked to be the best product possible (Witcher 3, Fury Road). I'm hoping that Miller is going for the latter with the next movie.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

So who's dick around here do I need to suck for that black and white cut?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

w00tmonger posted:

So who's dick around here do I need to suck for that black and white cut?

If you have composite cables, just unplug some of them.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

From what I heard it's structured a bit differently, with the stories nested in chronological order. Always been curious about it too, though.

Yeah the stories get interrupted (the first one in mid-sentence) and then work their way back, so they go from the 19th century all the way up to post-apocalyptic Hawaii and back again in the same order: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. It works very well in a novel but wouldn't have done in a film, and I think they did a fantastic job translating it, utilising all the tricks of symbolism and cinematography etc as the scenes slide into each other.

Basebf555 posted:

There isn't one moment where it gives you the revelation, you kinda have to figure it out yourself, and its not easy in one viewing. After watching a second time, I started to understand that the people with the shooting star birthmark are all a single soul, and there is always another connected to them, destined to be their protector. Its easier to put that together once you realize that you're supposed to disregard gender entirely. Its also tough to follow who is who because the same actors play both the protector and protectee at different points in time..

That whole dynamic makes for some incredibly powerful moments, like how Syksmith loses the love of his life to suicide, then encounters him/her again in the form of Halle Berry's journalist character. He has a chance to once again be her protector, but tragically he's killed before he even gets to know her.

None of that is necessarily the "point" though, the movie is complex enough that different people would come away with different messages. One basic theme seems to be that a persons actions have a ripple effect through time that they could never, ever anticipate, so don't assume you're a meaningless person or that your actions have no weight.

It's interesting to compare book and film because they have entirely different endings and thus messages. The film has a hopeful Hollywood ending whereas the book's is horribly crushing - it ends with the character in the 19th century writing about his epiphany which is basically what you just said: we're not meaningless characters, our actions have collective weight, "what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?" And it's all inspiring and uplifting, except by the end of the book we already know what will happen in the future, and we know that his actions - and more broadly, his creed - are doomed to failure. (The post-apocalyptic storyline has a much darker ending in the book than the film.) If the novel has a single theme, it's about human predation.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

That's an interesting look, I always felt that with the ending the way it is, the message of Cloud Atlas was that we are not doomed to our failures and we are not predestined to follow the path the previous stories laid out.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Development Hell and delays result in only two options: either it comes out and is a broken mess of half baked ideas (Duke Nukem Forever)

The original Duke Nukem was a broken mess of half baked ideas.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

freebooter posted:

Yeah the stories get interrupted (the first one in mid-sentence) and then work their way back, so they go from the 19th century all the way up to post-apocalyptic Hawaii and back again in the same order: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. It works very well in a novel but wouldn't have done in a film, and I think they did a fantastic job translating it, utilising all the tricks of symbolism and cinematography etc as the scenes slide into each other.
Having the stories take place in larger, continuous blocks also lets the author play around with various styles. You could translate it to film (or TV) by having each section shot differently, but it would be far too jarring if the scenes were interleaved like they are in the actual movie.

The movie as a whole emphasises the reincarnation aspect far more heavily than the book does. It's most noticeable in the Korea section, which has a completely different outcome in both thematic and plot terms.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

freebooter posted:

So that's why the musician was only able to find the first half of the sailors diary! I couldn't understand why that happened the way it did in the movie, since it didn't seem to have any thematic point or have any bearing on the storyline. It must have been a hold over from when the reader would have only known the first half of the story.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The score was not good, certainly not on par with the other constituent parts of this movie.

I love the score, but I noticed that in Deadpool, Junkie XL's score is similar. So he's already repeating himself.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

SirSamVimes posted:

Man I decided to watch the Cinema Sins video for Fury Road after seeing everyone talking about how bad they are and it was really bad

I saw half a Cinema Sins video while high and it was so pedantic and joyless it really pissed me off.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

So that's why the musician was only able to find the first half of the sailors diary! I couldn't understand why that happened the way it did in the movie, since it didn't seem to have any thematic point or have any bearing on the storyline. It must have been a hold over from when the reader would have only known the first half of the story.
But also the other half of the diary is propping up a wobbly bedpost. You can see it in the movie.

But yeah, you're probably right about that tidbit.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Snak posted:

But also the other half of the diary is propping up a wobbly bedpost. You can see it in the movie.

I did catch that, but if that had any significance, I failed to realize it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

I did catch that, but if that had any significance, I failed to realize it.

I don't think it does, it's just why he couldn't find it. Lots of characters in the film get to see parts of stories, but only we get to see all of them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Count Chocula posted:

I saw half a Cinema Sins video while high and it was so pedantic and joyless it really pissed me off.

Yeah, I got no time for that stuff.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

especially considering how loving long their videos are now. It can be a funny gimmick if it's something you do for...like 2 or 3 minutes, but longer than 5 minutes? The Fury Road one is 12 minutes long, jeeeeeeeesus chriiiiiiist

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah. If it's gonna be 5 minutes plus, shouldn't it be somewhat substantive?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Out of curiosity but not enough to go watch the video myself, what sort of thing does Cinema Sins say about Fury Road?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Vagabundo posted:

Out of curiosity but not enough to go watch the video myself, what sort of thing does Cinema Sins say about Fury Road?

Randomly clicking around:

- The women aren't having sex with the narrator

- Why is Joe looking at the compass going haywire near the sandstorm he doesn't need it to follow the war rig???????

- When the vehicles get stuck in the mud why don't they go around it???

- Night changed to day because of budget??? (seriously, the gently caress does that even mean?)

- Immortan Joe just happens to have water in his rock fortress???

- Why didn't Max kill the People Eater (and he asks this while they play the answer: because he used him as a human shield)

Pretty much all things that either are dumb as hell, a bad joke, or completely incomprehensibly stupid. Like if you can look at the movie with your eyes and you're not a mentally challenged toddler you can figure this poo poo out for yourself.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Just take any five minutes of clips from any movie and record yourself saying "why don't they just fly to Mount Doom on those eagles" over and over again.

• Locked thread