Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Isn't Reagan's son quite left wing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

UrbicaMortis posted:

Ron has seemed pretty mellow in the interviews I have seen. He was on Colbert, too. Done speeches at the DNC and supported lots of candidates, was very much against GWB.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 6, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

UrbicaMortis posted:

Reagan had multiple sons

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

UrbicaMortis posted:

Michael is the lovely one who's a conservative shill. Ron is the good and cool one.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 6, 2016

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Jarmak posted:

Quoting from that dumbass Atlantic article and trying to pass it off as your own knowledge does not make you sound like you know what you're talking about.
"Just because you pulled from a source and I didn't doesn't mean you have better information than I do!"

quote:

So again gently caress off with your nonsense conspiracy theories. The government isn't going to spend the time and resources tracking and striking an innocent 16 year old kid just because they didn't like his dead dad. Especially when its obvious what kind of political poo poo storm it would cause.
and yet I have provided a quote of them making that statement which kicked off the poo poo storm you claim they want to avoid. Never mind the fact that "this is a bad use of resources" isn't a particularly convincing argument given how else we know the resources are being spent.

quote:

Your smoking gun isn't shocking in the least bit, especially considering it was like the third time we had claimed to have gotten al-banna.
uh-huh. So hey, since you claim that he was running around with terrorists and admit that their story has fallen apart, how about you point out these mystery terrorists that he was meeting with?

See, it's funny, my point relies on documented evidence of what happened - that Gibbs did make that statement, that the later justification which didn't match with the stories initially reported was later proven to be false. You claim this is a conspiracy theory.

Your point is that the 16 year old was running around with terrorists - which there is no evidence for - and was killed along with a few master minds - which didn't happen. So a story that justifies it based off no evidence but your fervent belief that just because there is no evidence that doesn't mean the secretive agency wasn't enacting a complex plan that those of us looking at the facts just can't see.

Oh, and your repeated anger that anyone takes evidence rather than accept your theory of events.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

FilthyImp posted:

Nancy died before she could see a groundswell of support for legal pot, the gateway drug!

As for other drugs? Probably not. We'll see the NE model of advocating for treatment and leniency if a drug ends up taking over the suburbs.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Clinton's drug policy is just that. On her site she doesn't even call it drug abuse or anything negative.

I had to look it up - https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/addiction/

quote:

Substance use disorder and addiction

Through improved treatment, prevention, and training, we can end this quiet epidemic once and for all.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

Because it's just to delicious not to share.

Sounds like an endorsement for former First Lady Hillary

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

Because it's just to delicious not to share.

Does Ronnie have his own planet now? I've got to think they did the whole post mortem baptism thing and he's chilling on Reagan-world.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Reagan's daughter posed for Playboy.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Nancy Reagan is dead.

The Grim Reaper's been having a field day this year.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Syjefroi posted:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Clinton's drug policy is just that. On her site she doesn't even call it drug abuse or anything negative.
I mean, yeah, sane drug policy would probably be geared more towards treatment than incarceration, but as the other poster noted it's only this way in the NE because their bratty suburb babies discovered Heroin. Have it affect a black neighborhood and suddenly it's a scourge tearing at the heart of America.

Or basically the old Crack vs Coke divide.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Rygar201 posted:

I'd like to think that's :thejoke: but it's hard to tell with these people.

He's been making fun of GOP establishment types who keep trying to come up with convoluted reasons Trump will lose because of what having to admit the more obvious "he will win because he's more popular with GOP voters" would say about their party.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Fried Chicken posted:

"Just because you pulled from a source and I didn't doesn't mean you have better information than I do!"

Ah, but Fried Chicken, you seem to be forgetting! Any male of "fighting age" who lives in Whateveristan and fails the paper bag test is a potential enemy combatant, and therefore this American citizen and minor WAS actually conspiring with terrorists, probably. And even if he wasn't, well, he's dead now so gently caress it. Just trust me, he was a ~bad guy~. Probably.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Nancy Reagan is dead.

The Grim Reaper's been having a field day this year.

If Trump and or Cruz dies from some sort of freak accident, we will know that god is tired of this conservative bullshit.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

and yet I have provided a quote of them making that statement which kicked off the poo poo storm you claim they want to avoid. Never mind the fact that "this is a bad use of resources" isn't a particularly convincing argument given how else we know the resources are being spent.
uh-huh. So hey, since you claim that he was running around with terrorists and admit that their story has fallen apart, how about you point out these mystery terrorists that he was meeting with?

See, it's funny, my point relies on documented evidence of what happened - that Gibbs did make that statement, that the later justification which didn't match with the stories initially reported was later proven to be false. You claim this is a conspiracy theory.

Your point is that the 16 year old was running around with terrorists - which there is no evidence for - and was killed along with a few master minds - which didn't happen. So a story that justifies it based off no evidence but your fervent belief that just because there is no evidence that doesn't mean the secretive agency wasn't enacting a complex plan that those of us looking at the facts just can't see.

Oh, and your repeated anger that anyone takes evidence rather than accept your theory of events.

That article isn't a source, it's an idiot on the internet writing about their opinion, an exceptionally dumb opinion that like you can't seem to understand Gibbs' statement was a glib dismissal of him being collateral damage not saying "we killed him because his father was bad". You don't have any evidence you're just claiming that the fact the CIA isn't willing to release the intel is proof that your absurd theory is correct, which is itself loving absurd.

There's absolutely nothing to gain from going after the kid, it's a significant expenditure of resources, and even the fact we took him out as collateral damage has been a major political problem. You want to run around spouting black helicopter nonsense at least craft a theory that makes sense.

Now I'd be perfectly willing to believe the CIA knew he was there and decided to play willfully ignorant because "gently caress that kid" and "we're not missing our shot at this target over this". That's the kind of government cover-up that actually happens.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Jarmak posted:

The government isn't going to spend the time and resources tracking and striking an innocent 16 year old kid just because they didn't like his dead dad.

Your entire argument rests upon this value judgment. Just take a step back, consider US foreign policy for the last 50 years, and reassess.

Reminder before you start- we invaded Iraq and caused a million deaths because W was convinced that Gog and Magog were "at work" in the Middle East and he was still pissed that Saddam had supposedly tried to assassinate his father.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Fried Chicken posted:

we live in a nightmare world

The Return of DIY Abortion

Google searches are a weak substitute for an actual survey and study. But messy, poorly categorized data is still data. And it isn't looking good.

This is awesome. Life is awesome.

E: I'm seriously gonna lose my poo poo over this. Time to read a book

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Jarmak posted:

Now I'd be perfectly willing to believe the CIA knew he was there and decided to play willfully ignorant because "gently caress that kid" and "we're not missing our shot at this target over this". That's the kind of government cover-up that actually happens.

This is exactly what happened, but the key factor is that you're assuming the "target" was a valid one of strategic importance. It was not.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

stinkles1112 posted:

This is exactly what happened, but the key factor is that you're assuming the "target" was a valid one of strategic importance. It was not.

Al-Banna isn't a valid target?

Unzip and Attack posted:

Your entire argument rests upon this value judgment. Just take a step back, consider US foreign policy for the last 50 years, and reassess.

Reminder before you start- we invaded Iraq and caused a million deaths because W was convinced that Gog and Magog were "at work" in the Middle East and he was still pissed that Saddam had supposedly tried to assassinate his father.

1)No it doesn't

2)This only makes sense at finger painting levels of nuance

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 6, 2016

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Jarmak posted:

Al-Banna isn't a valid target?

He is definitely either a valid target OR a post-facto justification applied to a drone strike that killed an American citizen and minor.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Armani posted:

This is awesome. Life is awesome.

E: I'm seriously gonna lose my poo poo over this. Time to read a book

Reminder that conservatives don't want women to deliver healthy babies either. Medicaid won't pay for abortions and it won't reimburse hospitals enough for them to make a profit on obstetric care. Result: hospitals that primarily serve the poor are shutting down their OB/GYN departments.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

stinkles1112 posted:

He is definitely either a valid target OR a post-facto justification applied to a drone strike that killed an American citizen and minor.

I think its very likely they thought they had Al-Banna and now it turns out they killed an American and missed their guy.

Massive fuckups being swept under the rug is how real conspiracies and converups happen, not a bunch of dudes over at the CIA running a rogue operation to publicly assassinate teenagers for kicks.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Youth Decay posted:

Ronald's actual son endorsed Bernie Sanders, of course.

Youth Decay posted:

Michael is the lovely adopted one who's a conservative shill. Ron is the good and cool one.

I'm an adoptee and these are lovely things to say.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Especially since Reagan was an rear end in a top hat and treated him badly.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
HE JUST WANTED RONALD TO LOVE HIM.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I'm an adoptee and these are lovely things to say.

Sorry.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
^ Thanks.

Radish posted:

Especially since Reagan was an rear end in a top hat and treated him badly.

Wow, I didn't know that. Searching around a bit, yeah, pretty drat sad.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Unzip and Attack posted:

No stop. I worked in this area and his "value judgement" is correct. Your opinion, on the other hand, is open speculation based on what? Common perception of US foreign policy absent all form of an inside perspective?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

You must kill the children of the foes you slay, lest they grow to exact revenge upon you for your terrible deeds

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Youth Decay posted:

Reminder that conservatives don't want women to deliver healthy babies either. Medicaid won't pay for abortions and it won't reimburse hospitals enough for them to make a profit on obstetric care. Result: hospitals that primarily serve the poor are shutting down their OB/GYN departments.

Jesus loving Christ this is horrific.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Hollismason posted:

Reagan's daughter posed for Playboy.

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/patti-davis-ronald-reagan-gop-candidates/2015/12/23/id/706874/

She sounds cool to me.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

/image inspired me to read a couple articles on rural hospital consolidation, closures, etc. esp wrt Alabama.

The most interesting part was an offhand comment by a state health official that rural hospitals can't offer the specialty physicians that do 'lucrative revenue generating procedures' that apparently are profit drivers for hospitals.

Also that Alabama apparently has the least competitive insurance market in the nation, 90% served by blue cross/blue shield.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously so much of this country seems to be teetering at the edge of being a third world nation.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Radish posted:

Seriously so much of this country seems to be teetering at the edge of being a third world nation.

Too bad they keep voting for the people that created the situation.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Radish posted:

You mean they aren't already considered 3rd world?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PhazonLink posted:

Too white.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Radish posted:

Keep up that self delusion that it isn't already.
USA#1

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jarmak posted:

it's an idiot on the internet writing about their opinion

:ironicat:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Youth Decay posted:

Ronald's other son endorsed Bernie Sanders, of course.

You mean Ronald's real son.

sorry adopted goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

PhazonLink posted:

Thankfully the US can't be third world due to the very definition of the word!

• Locked thread