Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

VelociBacon posted:

So far because I've been at work I've just been wandering around the apartment taking photos in the dark and making GBS threads myself with glee when I see how much more detail I can pull out of the shadows now.

Here's one handheld at 600mm, f/6.3, 1/60th, ISO 51200

This is extremely my poo poo. I'm shooting on a d40 currently, and I'm still pretty new to photography but I feel like I chose hard mode because I like nighttime cityscapes and really dark spaces. I have to work really hard to capture anything I like but I feel like once I actually invest some money I'll be able to go ham since I already know how to manipulate everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Grandmaster.flv posted:

This is extremely my poo poo. I'm shooting on a d40 currently, and I'm still pretty new to photography but I feel like I chose hard mode because I like nighttime cityscapes and really dark spaces. I have to work really hard to capture anything I like but I feel like once I actually invest some money I'll be able to go ham since I already know how to manipulate everything.

Yeah man. I went walking around downtown (Vancouver) today and saw a cool painting, took a photo and realised I hadn't adjusted the exposure since I wasn't outside anymore, retook it. I didn't delete the underexposed one and just for fun I just tried to pull detail out of it and I'm amazed at how well you can do.

Before:

After:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Grandmaster.flv posted:

get what you want but if you're shooting stuff that doesn't move you'll get more mileage out of a tripod than a high tier body

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

My aunt gave me my uncle's old F4S (which is pretty awesome) and a couple lenses. The only noteworthy one is a 20mm f/2.8 AF-D, but the aperture is stuck open. The ring turns freely and the little lever that something inside the body actuates for AE modes goes back and forth fine. Where would be the best place to send it for repair? I was thinking KEH.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Dren posted:

get what you want but if you're shooting stuff that doesn't move you'll get more mileage out of a tripod than a high tier body

yeah I recently got a tripod and that helps a lot but I do a lot of shooting while on my bicycle and at shows so I do need dark compensation.

I mean I'm forced to shoot on full manual because I have an 80s tamron adaptall 28mm so I feel like I'm really being forced to play with mechanics and not rely on auto modes

DSC_0547.jpg by Stanimal Jones, on Flickr

DSC_0319.jpg by Stanimal Jones, on Flickr

DSC_0399.jpg by Stanimal Jones, on Flickr

I don't particularly like these photos but as a technical exercise I think I did pretty ok

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
IDK if its Australia only but apparently D750s got recalled

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Yeah, it's worldwide. I saw an article this morning. Before it was unnatural light flare, this is some kind of shutter issue. Killing me, I want to upgrade to the d750, but that's 2 major service issues in a year.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Put your serial number in here: https://support.nikonusa.com/app/_D750/sn

Thank god.

e: Wait does this mean my photos are bad because I'm bad

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Whew, new one I picked up isn't in that list either. So yeah, no excuses. drat.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

My gray market one was affected, but I heard that Nikon actually accepts gray market for recalls.

Haven't had to go through one of these before. Printed out the packing slip and shipping label, and it felt weird just handing a $2000 piece of equipment (which I got for about $1500) over to the UPS employee and trusting that it'll get back to me in a few weeks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

404notfound posted:

My gray market one was affected, but I heard that Nikon actually accepts gray market for recalls.

Haven't had to go through one of these before. Printed out the packing slip and shipping label, and it felt weird just handing a $2000 piece of equipment (which I got for about $1500) over to the UPS employee and trusting that it'll get back to me in a few weeks.

That wouldn't feel weird to me because I owned an ASUS laptop so I barely ever had it in my possession between RMA's.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

My lady friend's D750's mirror just shat itself yesterday. Like, the mirror locks up when you take a photo. Only 3 months old too! Quality control, yeah

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

toggle posted:

My lady friend's D750's mirror just shat itself yesterday. Like, the mirror locks up when you take a photo. Only 3 months old too! Quality control, yeah

I don't know if it's a standard problem with cameras, or with Nikon, but my F100 started doing that a few months ago too.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

toggle posted:

Mine started doing that too. I'm hoping that the service I just sent it in for will fix that.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I have a D3200 right now and was thinking of picking up a new body before traveling around Asia in a few weeks for a while. Is there any reason to get the D7200, or some other DX body, over the D5500? It seems not since I'm just casually shooting but figured maybe some people here might have some info to keep in mind that isn't on a spec sheet. And the D500 won't be out by the time I leave (haha)

red19fire
May 26, 2010

gently caress, i just bought a d750 today. And they assured me the SN was unaffected by the recent recall :ohdear:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

doomisland posted:

I have a D3200 right now and was thinking of picking up a new body before traveling around Asia in a few weeks for a while. Is there any reason to get the D7200, or some other DX body, over the D5500? It seems not since I'm just casually shooting but figured maybe some people here might have some info to keep in mind that isn't on a spec sheet. And the D500 won't be out by the time I leave (haha)

With the D7000+ series, you get two dials, the screw autofocus, and a much nicer body. Which means you can adjust settings even faster, you can use all kinds of lenses that don't have built in autofocus motors, and you have something nicer to hold onto.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love my D7200, and I think if I went for a 5x00 series then I would've been frustrated that my D50 from 10 years ago had features that it doesn't. You give up the tilt screen though, which some find more useful than others. PQ wise there's not much between the current models, it's all about how much manual control you want/need.

It's not just super old lenses that need the screw drive too, my Tokina 11-16 needs it and it's only a few years old (it has been replaced by a mark 2 that doesn't need the screw drive mind - but I paid about half the price for mine due to that I expect.)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

red19fire posted:

gently caress, i just bought a d750 today. And they assured me the SN was unaffected by the recent recall :ohdear:

Then what are you worried about?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Then what are you worried about?

The article I saw on nikon rumors was like 'welp, more shutter recalls on nikon d750's' :cripes:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

red19fire posted:

The article I saw on nikon rumors was like 'welp, more shutter recalls on nikon d750's' :cripes:

ohh I see... Well if you ordered it today, they probably checked it against the most recent recall hopefully. If not Nikon will fix it for free!

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Does that serial number checker thingie check your serial against all the recalls or just the one listed on the page?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Well it seems that I have been out of the loop for a while. I'm still pushing my D90 to the max and I'm trying to decide what my next body will be. I'm really comfortable using a D700 and they can be had for $700 on keh now, which is pretty tempting. I'm not interested in video at all, but am wondering if it's worth getting a D600 or doubling the expense for a D800 or D750. The goals for the camera would be to continue shooting events and paid portraits, which I've been easily able to do with a D90. The biggest reason I want to upgrade is to finally own a full frame digital. My d90 is also beat to poo poo, and getting it repaired isn't worth it anymore.

The full frame line up is pretty jam packed D600/610/800/810/750.

Looking for some opinions on the cost/value of the newer bodies.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Well it seems that I have been out of the loop for a while. I'm still pushing my D90 to the max and I'm trying to decide what my next body will be. I'm really comfortable using a D700 and they can be had for $700 on keh now, which is pretty tempting. I'm not interested in video at all, but am wondering if it's worth getting a D600 or doubling the expense for a D800 or D750. The goals for the camera would be to continue shooting events and paid portraits, which I've been easily able to do with a D90. The biggest reason I want to upgrade is to finally own a full frame digital. My d90 is also beat to poo poo, and getting it repaired isn't worth it anymore.

The full frame line up is pretty jam packed D600/610/800/810/750.

Looking for some opinions on the cost/value of the newer bodies.

I only really looked at the D610 and D750 when considering my upgrade from the D7000. What I gathered between the D610 and D750 basically said the D750 has much better low light focusing and faster AF performance in action situations (sports, wildlife), better higher ISO performance and slightly faster continuous shooting. Since I shoot wildlife far more often than people, the improvements swayed me and that's what I ended up going with. If those didn't really apply to my shooting, the D610 is still a very capable camera for a good price.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you're doing this professionally in an event setting I would say the d750 is your only option because it's the only fx Nikon right now outside of the pro bodies that can absolutely save shots that have no business being saved. If you were doing only studio work I'd say get the d810. I don't think it makes sense to buy the older fx bodies if this is something you're doing professionally.

The grip on the d750 is also an absolute pleasure to hold onto all day.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

VelociBacon posted:

.. save shots that have no business being saved...

Are you referring to it's dynamic range and iso capability? I thought I had performed miracles with the D700. Does anyone have some raw files that I can play with?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Are you referring to it's dynamic range and iso capability? I thought I had performed miracles with the D700. Does anyone have some raw files that I can play with?

Ya I can send some. PM me your email?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

VelociBacon posted:

If you're doing this professionally in an event setting I would say the d750 is your only option because it's the only fx Nikon right now outside of the pro bodies that can absolutely save shots that have no business being saved. If you were doing only studio work I'd say get the d810.

I'd say you are being a bit dramatic about the d750.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D750-versus-Nikon-D810-versus-Nikon-D800___975_963_792

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

VelociBacon posted:

Ya I can send some. PM me your email?

Thanks for that. I have never pushed the exposure slider in Lightroom to max +5 and received an extremely usable image at ISO 100. Really impressive. Man, for $1,542 on KEH ... this is pushing me over the edge of just moving to this current generation of sensors. For the longest time I thought, well the D700 pretty much does everything I need. If I were just getting into it now, I'd probably buy a used D700 just to get my feet wet and buy better lenses, but I've already got the lenses and know where I can make this extra dynamic range really work for me.

edit: imgur album of test files: http://imgur.com/a/AnigO

AIIAZNSK8ER fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 10, 2016

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

VelociBacon posted:

If you're doing this professionally in an event setting I would say the d750 is your only option because it's the only fx Nikon right now outside of the pro bodies that can absolutely save shots that have no business being saved. If you were doing only studio work I'd say get the d810. I don't think it makes sense to buy the older fx bodies if this is something you're doing professionally.

The grip on the d750 is also an absolute pleasure to hold onto all day.

The D600 is very cheap and basically performs the same

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

1st AD posted:

Except for the dodgy unsealed oiled up shutter..

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

1st AD posted:

I'm really used to the way AF works in a D700, and have found it perfectly capable. I guess I'll have to rent both the D600 and D750 and see if it's worth the extra money for "better low light autofocus".

I would assume that if I get a used D600 and the shutter problems shows up, I can send it back to KEH or have it repaired by Nikon under their recall.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

toggle posted:

I don't think the D600 has the sealed shutter problem, just the oil problem.

At least mine only had the oil problem (which Nikon promptly fixed).

Such a good camera for the price and I bought it right when it came out.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, I bought a used D600 and Nikon gave me a new sensor, shutter assembly for free. It's really fine until there's a problem, and then they'll fix it for you.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I bought a D600 last year and it hasn't had any oil issue yet.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Got my gray market D750 back from the recall servicing, and it's working just fine now. Previously, I had an issue where if it was set to 1/4000 (and maybe some other factors, like the ISO being set at 12800) and pointed the camera at an upward angle, the mirror would get stuck and the LCD would show "Err."

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I sent my 24-120 in to repair some minor drop damage and now the focus ring is really stiff and coggy :( Now it's almost impossible to rack focus smoothly and getting fine focus without visible jerking is pretty much impossible. Not sure sending it back again would do anything either as most 24-120's I've used have similarly lovely focus rings and my smooth-ish ring seemed like a fluke.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

toggle posted:

Nikon fixes it for free and it never becomes a problem again - I'm like 30k clicks post repair and it's good. Considering how cheap and good a D600 is, it's hard to pass it up for a D750 that costs a lot more.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

Nikon fixes it for free and it never becomes a problem again - I'm like 30k clicks post repair and it's good. Considering how cheap and good a D600 is, it's hard to pass it up for a D750 that costs a lot more.

Mine actually got oily again, but I just fix it in post. It only shows up past F8 and it's miniscule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

1st AD posted:

Yeah mine has been fixed and works a treat. And I feel the same. The D750s are great, but my D600 is still working fine and doing what I want it to do! Maybe when the D760 or whatever comes out I'll upgrade.